As PC improvements become more expensive and slows to a crawl; consoles to become more attractive?

• 66 results
rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll As PC improvements become more expensive and slows to a crawl; consoles to become more attractive? (56 votes)

Probably. 30%
About the same as it's always been. 30%
No. PC will increase the gap even more than last gen. 21%
No. Consoles will become more expensive as well. 14%
Other (please state). 4%

As PC improvements become more expensive and slows to a crawl. Console to become more attractive?

Some deem the One X already so good with its package for $ 399 compared to PC. Next gen seems to be rumored at around $ 499 with even a much larger improvement in hardware package compared to PC.

Perhaps the recent Zens are/will be simply an anomaly and the PS4/X1's jaguar was just too **** that will exaggerate the leap in price to performance gains next round.

Tech in general has been becoming quite expensive and improvements are slower than before but the consoles has a wild card of possibly eating a substantial amount of cost for pushing hardware to consumers but as an initial loss of $ from Nintendo/Sony/MS.

estimates:

PS3 = $ 200-300 loss / unit.

PS4 = "no loss"

PS5 = rumored $ 100?

Then again, there might not be much of a difference since the next generation hardwares won't really be immune to the price hike of tech in general.

• 
Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#51 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@BassMan: Yet the very best games never come to PC. Using PC and quality in the same sentence is laugable.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@blackhairedhero: The very best games? Lol, thats about as subjective as it gets.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@fedor: So is quality. But when we look at the highest rated games. God of War, RDR2, Zelda BotW etc... your game of the year type games, those often don't come to PC. The PC strength lies in its accessibility to developers and genres that don't work well on console.. RTS and Moba. But to say if your concerned with quality then you wouldn't buy a console... That's a ridiculous statement.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#54 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@blackhairedhero said:

@BassMan: Yet the very best games never come to PC. Using PC and quality in the same sentence is laugable.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Fedor

@blackhairedhero: You need 2 different consoles to play what you listed. 3 if you want the best versions. Everybody already knows rdr2 will be on PC anyway (not that its even that good in the first place). PC's main strength is choice btw. I own consoles and still main pc, because I choose the best performance and enjoy the highest quality any particular game can offer me.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Blackhairedhero

@fedor: That's an advantage that will no longer be exclusive to PC. Both console's are confirmed to be backwards compatable and improve performance of older games. They will just be on a limited upgrade cycle although far shorter then previous years. The advantages of PC are dwindling unless you choose to stay at the Very high end and even then the gap is closing. Meannwhile GoW, UC4, TLOU will never be on PC unless you want to wait years later to play it for a limited time on a streaming service.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Blackhairedhero

@BassMan: Its true though.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#58 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Hardware improvements are linked

Also a console is just a walled garden PC that can do far less, try getting past that first

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Fedor

@blackhairedhero: All old ganes wont be enhanced. Most, in fact, won't be. I'm always at very high end, and as long as consoles stay 30 fps (they will) PC will always have a massive performance advantage. Now with ray tracing and other performance features maturing on pc the gap will only grow larger. Furthermore if people dont like Sony exclusives, they wont care about not playing those games. I mean UC4 is a 7 at best.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PinchySkree

@nfamouslegend said:

I don't have the time or interest to invest in a moderate to high-end PC so why would I. If a PS5/Xbox4 can offer Zen2 8c16t, 12-14tflop GPU, 16-24GB ram, SSD, UHD BD, 8K, and ray-tracing for $499 why would anyone bother with a pc.

Your ignorance of the difference shows you have never had a good PC experience so your comments are worthless

You can't have an interest in something you know nothing about. Consoles only have a few short lived forced exclusives that can be burned through fast, so the time excuse is also lie. That doesn't leave many reasons why you can't get access to a good PC

Begging for superiority here won't make the platform go away

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PinchySkree

@joebones5000 said:

Oh, here we go. The PC "master race" with their console ports that barely look any better than what you get on the xbox one x or ps4 pro, attempting to justify spending $1,000 to play console ports in 1440p. Bu bu but I can use my pc for more than gaming. I can write letters with the Word Perfects!!!!111 GTFO with that nonsense.

Your PCs are overpriced consoles.

Oh, here we go. The console only gamer trying to justify only having access to junk food quality gaming. Up to 30fps, crap controls, non existent utility and services

All you did here was confirm you don't have access to everything and are biased

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@fedor: Antyhing with a unlocked framerates and dynamic resolution will get a free enhancement without a patch.( That's most games over the past couple years). Also now the consoles aren't hobbled by horrendous jaguar cores 60 fps should be far more common. I see the visual gap being smaller then ever as well.

If you don't like PS4 exclusives well then that explains why your a PC gamer but for us who do enjoy them the PC has little to offer.( outside my occasional need to play an RTS).

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#63 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@blackhairedhero said:

@BassMan: Its true though.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I think PC is going to become more attractive, not less.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#66 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Consoles are just a PC you cant upgrade now with games you cant modify and an infinite lack of compatibility for software outside of games.