As hardcore gamers, we should all be vehemently against exclusive games

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

A game that can only be played on a specific console is an exclusive. The idea is, if for example Sony gets a lot more sought after exclusives than Microsoft, then they will sell more consoles. In this example, Sony would eventually annihilate Microsoft and Nintendo for example and dominate the market with an iron fist.

Once that happens, they don't have to worry about competition so the first thing that will be affected are prices. I don't think they will go down once the competition is eliminated. Of course innovation will go down dramatically as well. Even if you think your favorite videogame company is very innovative, 3 companies for example, offer potentially 3X as much opportunities to innovate.

Why would a hardcore gamer want that? Yet, read these boards and you will find countless comments about how someone is so happy because they believe their favorite company is going to destroy it's competition and rule the gaming world. It's astonishing that a gamer would not realize that is great for said company, terrible for the gamer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I disagree

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

At this point, I just don't give a damn anymore.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

If Sony is making the games under their umbrella of studios then they have every right to their exclusive games. Same goes for Nintendo and Microsoft but Microsoft would rather spend their money on other things.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I disagree

Might as well close the threat at that point

ribhu672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ribhu672
Member since 2014 • 173 Posts

Well i will say this as a PC gamer I've seen what little competition can do. Both Nvidia and Intel have monopoly on PC gaming market and just look at thier ridiculous pricing. Without any competition in the future I can see what Sony can do in the future.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I disagree, exclusives give you a reason to buy each consoles, exclusives give a console it's identity.

Hammerthrust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hammerthrust
Member since 2017 • 139 Posts

It is nonsensical to be against something. Who is really against one particular thing? I'm against a lot of things. If I had it my way, I would have entire genres of games exterminated. Our definition of games has evolved into a baseless standard that enables various kinds of software to be called 'games' even though they're not.

Like those 'walking simulator' type games. Those games I would like to see gone forever.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Without exclusives there would be only one console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I don't want any company to destroy the competition. I want all of the console makers to do well since competition is good for us consumers.

I disagree with you however that we should be against exclusive games. Exclusive games are one of the most important things that give a console it's identity and without exclusive games what point would there be in buying more than one console? Without exclusive games, Nintendo would definitely not survive as a console maker so that right there would create less competition in the market which would be a bad thing.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I disagree, each console needs its own exclusive games to have an identity. There would only be one console with no competition and every developer against whoever dominated the console market would be a third party...that just doesn't sound right to me. Gamers need justified reasons to own their console of choice.

Hammerthrust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hammerthrust
Member since 2017 • 139 Posts

@bowserjr123: You have to think hard. Really, really hard. What games do you not like? Which games would you like to see gone?

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bowserjr123

@hammerthrust said:

@bowserjr123: You have to think hard. Really, really hard. What games do you not like? Which games would you like to see gone?

Your questions have nothing to do with my post, but to answer them, I don't care for survival horror, most sports games, puzzle games, and stealth (besides Last of Us). I don't wish any to be gone because other people enjoy them.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@bowserjr123 said:

I disagree, each console needs its own exclusive games to have an identity. There would only be one console with no competition and every developer against whoever dominated the console market would be a third party...that just doesn't sound right to me. Gamers need justified reasons to own their console of choice.

Wrong, if exclusives ceased to exist a console would fail or be successful based upon the merits, compute, features and implementation of the system itself.

If exclusives stopped existing you would finally see consoles for the worth of what the system actually provides, and not hamstring the console to its software.

A good console can have bad games, a bad console can have good games, if all consoles had the same games you would actually be able to definitively identify which console is actually good or bad without artificial game interference bolstering or nerfing the systems identity.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bowserjr123

@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:

Wrong, if exclusives ceased to exist a console would fail or be successful based upon the merits, compute, features and implementation of the system itself.

If exclusives stopped existing you would finally see consoles for the worth of what the system actually provides, and not hamstring the console to its software.

I'm talking about if there was only one console on the market in general and all games were released on said console. While hardware features are one thing, most gamers look more fondly at consoles that have compelling games on it. Extra merits can only get a system so far if they don't have the proper software to back them up. While there are exceptions (like the PS2 back when DVD players weren't mainstream yet), nowadays most of the PS4/Xbone's features can be done on several other devices.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

What would be the point?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Exclusives gives a home console its identity just like a culture gives a country its identity.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@bowserjr123 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:

I'm talking about if there was only one console on the market in general and all games were released on said console. While hardware features are one thing, most gamers look more fondly at consoles that have compelling games on it. Extra merits can only get a system so far if they don't have the proper software to back them up. While there are exceptions (like the PS2 back when DVD players weren't mainstream yet), nowadays most of the PS4/Xbone's features can be done on several other devices.

The point is exclusive games function as interference for a system itself, for example to this day the PlayStation 4 is one of the most bare bones, boring lukewarm consoles to ever exist, but it has a lot of game activity so it's viewed as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The Xbox One on the other hand while temporarily lacking compute relative to the competition, is a substantially more well rounded system with far more sound features and overall implemented diversity and system functionality, it's a better console but is shrouded in negativity due to its current game situation and its lack of compute power relative to the competition.

As I said, games run interference for the devices in which they operate on, that needs to die.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

"As lemmings, we should all be vehemently against exclusive games" (because we don't have any)

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:

The point is exclusive games function as interference for a system itself, for example to this day the PlayStation 4 is one of the most bare bones, boring lukewarm consoles to ever exist, but it has a lot of game activity so it's viewed as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The Xbox One on the other hand while temporarily lacking compute relative to the competition, is a substantially more well rounded system with far more sound features and overall implemented diversity and system functionality, it's a better console but is shrouded in negativity due to its current game situation and its lack of compute power relative to the competition.

As I said, games run interference.

dont try to sound too salty there :p

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bowserjr123

@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:

As I said, games run interference.

That's my point, the PS4 is a solid system with an identity because it has a great library. Xbone's exclusive library lacks in comparison which is one of the reasons why it is being outsold. Microsoft chose to focus too much on the non-gaming features when it launched which definitely hurt it.

Exclusive games aren't interference, they're the reason why people decide to get a console. A gaming console's primary purpose is to play games so all of the extra features would fall into that interference category. I can't think of the last time I've heard someone say they would purchase an Xbone to use specific features over its game library...

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Open platform > closed platform. However, consumers love defending giant corporates against their own best interest due to fanboyism.

I'll have a side of DLC with microtransaction sauce please.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Sounds like the lemming has lost their mind because xbox has no exclusives.

lilhurk1985187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 lilhurk1985187
Member since 2014 • 571 Posts

@narlymech said:

Thats the point. There should only be 1 console,a console that plays all games regardless of who made them.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@lilhurk1985187 said:
@narlymech said:

Thats the point. There should only be 1 console,a console that plays all games regardless of who made them.

That's a terrible idea. Competition is what drives industry.

lilhurk1985187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lilhurk1985187

@Jolt_counter119 said:
@lilhurk1985187 said:
@narlymech said:

GREED is what drives the industry,Just ask CA$HCOM,EA,Konami,and especially Blizzard and Perfect World ($75-$80 for an extra playable race).

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts
@lilhurk1985187 said:
@Jolt_counter119 said:
@lilhurk1985187 said:
@narlymech said:

GREED is what drives the industry,Just ask CA$HCOM,EA,Konami,and especially Blizzard and Perfect World ($75-$80 for an extra playable race).

Capcom is basically failing now and had to reinvent Resident Evil to survive and apparently that's not even enough. Konami is dead. Blizzard doesn't really have competition so they can pretty much do what they want. You can be as greedy as you want (Microsoft) but if you have another company that can undercut you with a comparable experience than you're going to be left behind.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

If there was only one console they'd be no competition, without that key ingredient things start going downhill fast. It's a HORRIBLE idea to want only one console, absolutely horrible.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@putaspongeon said:

Sounds like the lemming has lost their mind because xbox has no exclusives.

carlquincy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 carlquincy
Member since 2012 • 391 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:

As I said, games run interference for the devices in which they operate on, that needs to die.

Huh? How is PS4 barebones and XB1 well rounded?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@lilhurk1985187 said:
@narlymech said:

Steam Machines?

Hey I'm all for that. I don't like having to buy expensive consoles just to play a few exclusive games. I always thought people got too caught up on the Linux OS part. They're just PCs, you can do whatever you want with them. It doesn't have to have anything to do with Steam at all. I can see MS merging their Xbox Dashboard with windows and allowing you to boot into 'Xbox gaming mode' or something for that same plug and play experience you get with a console. Game developers could provide pre-defined settings to match your hardware profile (let's be honest, there are only like 5 different configurations of gaming computer these days, they're all the same).

It's all great... except for for Nintendo.....

lilhurk1985187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lilhurk1985187

@vfighter said:

If there was only one console they'd be no competition, without that key ingredient things start going downhill fast. It's a HORRIBLE idea to want only one console, absolutely horrible.

How so? With everyone on one console alot of games can be sold alot faster than they would be held back by one companies system.More game can be made without having to waste millions porting to multiple consoles and devs wont have to worry about deadlines,though budgets are a different tune here.One console=more game= more people enjoying them with out the need to buy multiple consoles.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PutASpongeOn

@carlquincy said:
@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@bowserjr123 said:

Huh? How is PS4 barebones and XB1 well rounded?

Because he's trying to justify the xbox one as a system since he either is the biggest fanboy in existence or has buyers remorse, maybe both.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

No! Lacking exclusives just makes gaming less and less liberal.

lilhurk1985187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lilhurk1985187

@pyro1245 said:
@lilhurk1985187 said:
@narlymech said:

Steam Machines?

Hey I'm all for that. I don't like having to buy expensive consoles just to play a few exclusive games. I always thought people got too caught up on the Linux OS part. They're just PCs, you can do whatever you want with them. It doesn't have to have anything to do with Steam at all. I can see MS merging their Xbox Dashboard with windows and allowing you to boot into 'Xbox gaming mode' or something for that same plug and play experience you get with a console. Game developers could provide pre-defined settings to match your hardware profile (let's be honest, there are only like 5 different configurations of gaming computer these days, there all the same).

It's all great... except for for Nintendo.....

Steam Machines would work,all you would need is an internet connection,Steam Account (i guess?)and either a credit card,or something similar to microsofts prepaid cards.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

As hardcore gamers

Wrong board.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

If I owned a shitty console like the Xbone with no exclusives I'd sell it and buy a console with exclusives like a PS4. I already own a PC for superior multiplats, no point owning a console with no exclusive games and a shitty enclosed system where I need to pay to play online.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@narlymech said:

Not true. There are no exclusive blu ray/DVD releases yet there are Sony players, Samsung, LG etc. I agree with the TC to a degree. There is this asinine idea that exclusives give a console an identity. News break!!! Electronics aren't alive. They will never have an identity. This type of non sense shows how far gamers go in romanticizing a piece of electronics. If there were no exclusives and this market was like DVD/Blu rays where a player can be bought and play any game on the market, it would be great for developers. You know the actual creators of what we propose to love? They would all, each studio have the largest potential sales market to reach. It would benefit us as we wouldn't be buying multiple platforms.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#39 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@hammerthrust said:

It is nonsensical to be against something. Who is really against one particular thing? I'm against a lot of things. If I had it my way, I would have entire genres of games exterminated. Our definition of games has evolved into a baseless standard that enables various kinds of software to be called 'games' even though they're not.

Like those 'walking simulator' type games. Those games I would like to see gone forever.

Whereas I think that is stupid. When I don't like a certain type of game, say turn based JRPGs, I don't play them. But I don't wish for them to not exist. That's a special kind of narcissistic anal retentiveness. Who am I, or you to root for something to not exist, when it may be a game others enjoy? Get your feet grounded, dude.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Ps1 and ps2 hardly had any competition but the games were overflowing, xbox 360 had a lot of games on its early years but as soon as they started making profit.. well we all know what happened.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I'm a soccer dad

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

OMG you heard it here folks. Lems think GAMES INTERFERE with GAMING SYSTEMS. Lems are the most pathetic and ridiculous bunch of fanboys ever in gaming confirmed.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PutASpongeOn

I just love it when 10 year olds with no knowledge on the topic they are talking about tell everyone what to do.

It's like having a 7 year old walk up to you and tell you that you don't know real music.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

If lems are serious about not exclusivity in games then why stop there? Consoles can't have exclusive features. Companies can't have exclusive stores. No exclusive APIs for just one type of systems like Directx. Go all the way then.

If a company trying to release a game needs investment they wouldn't be able to negotiate with any company because any help they give them would benefit all their rivals. So if M$, being lame as they are considers that Nioh is not dudebro enough for their likeness it would had never been made. Instead right now it works in a way that, even if M$ dismisses a game like Nioh, abother company that actually cares for gaming like Sony can come up and offer their support. That's basically how a series like Souls series came to be, thanks to Sony supporting them when nobody else wanted.

If the industry didn't have these type of deals we would all be condemned to M$ dudebro culture of only supporting dudebro games and flops.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Exclusivity does suck and considering how multiplats make up the lion's share of software purchased for PS/Xbox I don't agree that exclusives drive anything other than the cultural identity surrounding rabid fanboyism on dying and outdated discussion boards. In an ideaI world we would all be gaming on self-built PCs but some things just aren't meant to be.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#46  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

You are taking the hardware diversity out of the equation.

For example, as a passionate gamer, I like that there are games being specifically made with VR in mind. That is a type of exclusivity as well.

Also, the hardware of the PS4 and XB1 are not interesting in any way to a gamer. I don't want all games to be limited to hardware that can do nothing interesting.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Yes, it'd be nice if there were no exclusives.

Imagine if there was only one console... We could name it PC HAHHAHAHAH

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@lilhurk1985187: Ummm...No. One console means that company (no matter if it was Sony, MS, etc) would get lazy, prices would go up without any competition, you would begin to see all kinds of anti consumer policies put in place (think of what MS tried to do with the Xone when it was revealed). You need competition.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I hate exclusives.

Imagine if Blu-Ray players from different companies could all play only certain movies. It would be annoying.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I agree with some points, staying exclusive is not always beneficial to the game or its community. Releasing on PC helped make Forza Horizon 3 the most successful Forza title yet, and a monopoly in gaming or any industry would not be good.

However, console exclusive games are something that have existed for a long time, it's part of gaming culture. You know, you get a Nintendo System for Mario and Zelda, a SEGA system for Sonic and Streets of Rage....that kind of thing.

There is a certain allure for a console to have this hot exclusive that everyone wants, a system-seller type game, it's exciting. No matter how much we will see the benefits of going multiplatform, don't expect this mentality to vanish overnight.