As a console owner how do you buy your games?

  • 50 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

4681

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll As a console owner how do you buy your games? (76 votes)

Mostly digital 34%
Mostly physical copy (disc) 51%
Equally digital and physical copy 14%

I personally have not bought a physical copy since the XBOX 360.

I am just curious how many people buy digital vs physical

 • 
Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70268

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70268 Posts

What is physical?😎

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

44493

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44493 Posts

Mostly physical for me. I’ll try relatively as much as possible to get the physical version of games I want even if I have to pay more for it. I don’t mind buying digital versions if it’s too difficult to obtain a physical version though.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

3808

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Like I'd ever trust Nintendo with downloaded games. Remember the Virtual Console, how none of those cheap to emulate games transferred to Swich?

Don't trust Sony's security either. My account with Ico and LittleBigPlanet was stolen a few years ago.

The only console games I purchased digitally this gen were Gravity Rush Remastered (Worth it, as it's such a good game and the physical release is six times as expensive.) and Mega Man Legacy Collection Volume 1 (Switch).

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

3808

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Besides, Nintendo games retain a lot of monetary value. Downloaded games retain none.

Avatar image for Telekill
Telekill

12061

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

If given the option, I will buy physical.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

39691

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

Physical at my local Walmart or BestBuy.

Avatar image for pyro1245
pyro1245

9431

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9431 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

22663

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I like my games like i like my women, and that's physical.

I avoid digital unless a game i want is only digital, and even then i still debate on whether to purchase it or not.

Avatar image for adsparky
adsparky

2600

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#9 adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 2600 Posts

I always go for physical, digital only when they're like really cheap and it's not a game that i need to have physical.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
Sevenizz

6462

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Half and half this gen, but my XSX will be all digital.

Avatar image for robbie23
Robbie23

2082

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

Physical as I like collecting things. Digital seems like dead money as you have nothing to show for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

9558

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I started off going mainly physical last gen on PS4 but now I've switched to 99% digital.

I'm 99% digital on the switch and I'm 100% digital on PC. I will get the physical PS5 to get PS4 BC with all my physical games and I might use the blu-ray sometimes.

There is no way in hell that I'd buy a digital only console and even though I'm 99% digital. I love having BC options for old discs and blu-ray options. It's never worth it to buy an all digital system. The Xbone sad was garbage the PSP go was trash. My PC I actually do kinda miss having the disc drive cause my old PC games I have and no blu-ray so I do miss sort of.

Avatar image for bluestars
Bluestars

2789

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Physical...complete....trade-in.....repeat

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
robert_sparkes

7285

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7285 Posts

In the past 2-3 years its been mostly digital probably 80/20 makes the series S a no brainer for me especially the price point being £249.99 in the UK.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

1426

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#15 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

Physical + digital ( bought many digital for Covid 19 unable to get access to physical)

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

11031

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Physical unless a) its only digital b) its an INSANE deal.

Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

4681

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#17 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@vfighter said:

Physical unless a) its only digital b) its an INSANE deal.

I don't go into game stores much but if I was in there and saw a copy of a game I wanted for an insane deal I would pick up the physical copy for that reason.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

44661

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44661 Posts

Switched to digital with XB1 for most my games, still do physical for PS4 and Switch as much as can, I don't trust Sony with my CC credentials and Nintendo isn't consumer friendly with digital rights.

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

56372

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56372 Posts

For me, its "equally digital and physical copy" as I purchase digital games on PS4/PC and physical games only for Nintendo Switch.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
SecretPolice

44260

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#21 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44260 Posts

I haven't bought anymore games ever since AwesomeSauce GamePass arrived.

Great stuff. :D

Thank you MS, surely for the gamerzz... Jazz. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

9558

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Switched to digital with XB1 for most my games, still do physical for PS4 and Switch as much as can, I don't trust Sony with my CC credentials and Nintendo isn't consumer friendly with digital rights.

You also said you were buying digital games on the 360 in 2006 when Games on Demand didn't launch till 2009 and you ignored my reply about it, I don't believe you at all.

You could easily buy PSN and XBL cards at any store and your credit card would't be given out to any company if you truly cared about safety which you don't.

Sony is a banking company and is a lot more secure than Microsoft you can trust them with your credit information I have since the PS3 never be overcharge never had any issues once.

Avatar image for Ant_17
Ant_17

13634

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I find better deals on physical.

Avatar image for clone01
clone01

29827

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

well, pre-Covid I really enjoyed going into a gamestop. These days, digital if I wan the title right now, otherwise I'll order a physical copy online.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

1490

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I prefer physical. Digital is bad for the consumer because you give away your buying power as a consumer. I regularly see games that are years old in digital that are for full price when i can buy it for $20 physically. The savings from producing digitally (materials, shipping, packaging ect) also doesn't transfer over to the consumer either.

My exception would be Steam though. I buy digitally on Steam, but I can't complain when they sell games much, much cheaper than everyone else both physically and digitally.

Avatar image for me2002
me2002

3058

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#26 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

PS4 physical

X1X digital

Vita digital

3DS physical

Switch digital

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

7339

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#27 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Switch: Physical except smaller indie games.

PS4: Physical.

XB1: Digital.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
Sevenizz

6462

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#28  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@ProtossRushX: ‘Sony is a banking company and is a lot more secure than Microsoft you can trust them with your credit information I have since the PS3 never be overcharge never had any issues once.’

No. I say that as someone who was hacked twice (ps3) and when I googled it, it’s a common occurrence. Sony still has security issues.

Avatar image for iambatman7986
iambatman7986

4582

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#29 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4582 Posts

X1 - Digital

PS4 - 95% digital

Switch 25% physical 75% digital

PC - 100% digital

Avatar image for gifford38
Gifford38

7288

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#30 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7288 Posts

@Pedro said:

What is physical?😎

something you never get to do with a female. lol you bust my chops all the time.

sorry couldn't retain myself lol.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

44661

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44661 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

You also said you were buying digital games on the 360 in 2006 when Games on Demand didn't launch till 2009 and you ignored my reply about it, I don't believe you at all.

You could easily buy PSN and XBL cards at any store and your credit card would't be given out to any company if you truly cared about safety which you don't.

Sony is a banking company and is a lot more secure than Microsoft you can trust them with your credit information I have since the PS3 never be overcharge never had any issues once.

XBLA? I have purchased tons of XBLA, Wii BC (NES, SNES, Genesis, N64), and PSN titles from the beginning, that's also why I favor MS in this regard for carrying over user rights. Sony didn't bother to do anything like this for PS3 to PS4, not even for digital PS1/PS2 games tied to user accounts they could have brought to PS4 if they weren't more interested in twisting peoples arms to subscribe to PS Now. Sadly, even Nintendo bested Sony going from Wii to Wii U with some form of digital rights transfer, and that was a horrible process, was limited, charged users an upgrade charge, but still better than anything Sony didn't do.

Also, I don't support Nintendo or Sony with regard to digital anymore, both are horrible for honoring users rights for cross platform support and that itself is reason enough for me as I have experienced the disappointment of their practices myself. Meanwhile MS has brought many of its XBLA games to XB1 and have honored many of my digital rights. I still of couse buy Nintendo and Sony systems, but limit my activity to physical media.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

9558

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#32 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

XBLA? I have purchased tons of XBLA, Wii BC (NES, SNES, Genesis, N64), and PSN titles from the beginning, that's also why I favor MS in this regard for carrying over user rights. Sony didn't bother to do anything like this for PS3 to PS4, not even for digital PS1/PS2 games tied to user accounts they could have brought to PS4 if they weren't more interested in twisting peoples arms to subscribe to PS Now. Sadly, even Nintendo bested Sony going from Wii to Wii U with some form of digital rights transfer, and that was a horrible process, was limited, charged users an upgrade charge, but still better than anything Sony didn't do.

Also, I don't support Nintendo or Sony with regard to digital anymore, both are horrible for honoring users rights for cross platform support and that itself is reason enough for me as I have experienced the disappointment of their practices myself. Meanwhile MS has brought many of its XBLA games to XB1 and have honored many of my digital rights. I still of couse buy Nintendo and Sony systems, but limit my activity to physical media.

What about all your 360 physical games that won't work on XSeS? Thats not right dude. Thats not right at all. It's wrong.

I bought a ton of PS3 games that had cross play with my PS Vita. So I could play on both systems. Microsoft don't even have a handheld while I got 2 versions of the games for one price. I was playing my cross-play games in my bedroom and on the go on my PS Vita cause of playstation cross-buy and on my TV with my PS3.

I had wished Microsoft would have done something like that for digital purchase but they never did it was all stuck on the console without a handheld support.

I never had any issue with any of my Nintendo and Sony digital purchases and PS4 digital games are moving to PS5 so all those games move forward with me to my PS5 and my Nintendo digital purchases I never delete so it won't matter what happens I'll always have the games I bought.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

10057

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#34 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Physical at my local Walmart or BestBuy.

This

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

61530

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#35 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61530 Posts

With consoles, I like my hard copies. If necessary, i'll buy digital like with FF7R and GoT.

Avatar image for rrjim1
rrjim1

1983

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#36 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

Has anyone noticed that the disk has very little of the game on it. You end up down loading most if it anyway. I purchase the disk version because it's usually cheaper.

Avatar image for raugutcon
raugutcon

5576

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#37 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Most of my games end up being digital even though for many I actually purchased the physical copy, blow out sales in digital versions are hard to skip.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

12363

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#38 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12363 Posts

I've been buying everything digitally since COVID but, before then I would buy sports games and, MP focused games digitally.

Avatar image for Zidaneski
Zidaneski

9266

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#39 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Mostly digital but if i get a game i want my friends to try i'll buy an extra physical copy like with FFVII Remake.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

17875

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

PS4 - digital. Switch is a combo of digital and physical (mostly gifts)

Avatar image for thatdbfan
ThatDBFan

939

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#41 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

Mostly physical. This entire gen, I've only bought like 5 digital games. All of my other games are physical. I prefer the idea of having full ownership over my purchase, and plus, the downloads are much more reliable, for me at least.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

17392

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#42 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@Pedro said:

What is physical?😎

Real ownership. Cheaper as well.

Avatar image for brimmul777
brimmul777

6107

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#43 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6107 Posts

Digital.

Avatar image for thatdbfan
ThatDBFan

939

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#44 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@lamprey263 said:

Switched to digital with XB1 for most my games, still do physical for PS4 and Switch as much as can, I don't trust Sony with my CC credentials and Nintendo isn't consumer friendly with digital rights.

You also said you were buying digital games on the 360 in 2006 when Games on Demand didn't launch till 2009 and you ignored my reply about it, I don't believe you at all.

You could easily buy PSN and XBL cards at any store and your credit card would't be given out to any company if you truly cared about safety which you don't.

Sony is a banking company and is a lot more secure than Microsoft you can trust them with your credit information I have since the PS3 never be overcharge never had any issues once.

The big problem with that, while you are partly right, is that you gave to keep going out to buy those cards. If you're gonna go digital, credit/debit cards are the more practical option. Though I am about to remove my info from my PSN account because of recent concerns with privacy with Sony regarding my card.

Avatar image for thatdbfan
ThatDBFan

939

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#45 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

Sony is a banking company and is a lot more secure than Microsoft you can trust them with your credit information I have since the PS3 never be overcharge never had any issues once.

Also, wrong. MS isn't the one of the two that had a massive server hacking, jeopardizing millions of people's private info. Plus, as I said, I've experienced glitches lately that make me think about removing my info from PSN.

Avatar image for WitIsWisdom
WitIsWisdom

9593

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#46 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9593 Posts

There was a point a few years ago that I refused to get digital games unless that was the only option and I really wanted it. These days I still prefer physical copies but am not as adamant about it. Sometimes I go with the convenient route of just getting a game digitally, but it always feels dirty and wrong, and not in a good way.. lol.

Avatar image for thatdbfan
ThatDBFan

939

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#47 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:
@lamprey263 said:

XBLA? I have purchased tons of XBLA, Wii BC (NES, SNES, Genesis, N64), and PSN titles from the beginning, that's also why I favor MS in this regard for carrying over user rights. Sony didn't bother to do anything like this for PS3 to PS4, not even for digital PS1/PS2 games tied to user accounts they could have brought to PS4 if they weren't more interested in twisting peoples arms to subscribe to PS Now. Sadly, even Nintendo bested Sony going from Wii to Wii U with some form of digital rights transfer, and that was a horrible process, was limited, charged users an upgrade charge, but still better than anything Sony didn't do.

Also, I don't support Nintendo or Sony with regard to digital anymore, both are horrible for honoring users rights for cross platform support and that itself is reason enough for me as I have experienced the disappointment of their practices myself. Meanwhile MS has brought many of its XBLA games to XB1 and have honored many of my digital rights. I still of couse buy Nintendo and Sony systems, but limit my activity to physical media.

What about all your 360 physical games that won't work on XSeS? Thats not right dude. Thats not right at all. It's wrong.

People who are really worried about playing their old physical games, they'll buy a Series X.

What do you say about the PS5 all digital edition? Is it wrong too?

Avatar image for sovkhan
sovkhan

1591

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#48 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

90% physical!!!

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

5288

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#49 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5288 Posts

My last few game purchases have been both physical and digital, but I noticed that when I purchase digital games, I am not subject to my state's sales tax (9.5%) so I saved money.

Avatar image for whiskeystrike
whiskeystrike

12213

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#50 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Switch is all physical.