mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

Jim Ryan is right. You don't buy a new system to play last-gen games.

Our analysis used a third-party API to randomly sample usage data from nearly one million active Xbox One Gamertags over a period of nearly five months starting last September (read the introductory piece for much more about the data and methodology). In the end, only about 1.5 percent of the more than 1.65 billion minutes of Xbox One usage time we tracked was spent on the 300+ backward-compatible Xbox 360 games, in aggregate. That translates to an average of just 23.9 minutes per sampled active Xbox One user spent on Xbox 360 games out of 1,526 average minutes of Xbox One usage during the sampling period.

Things don't look better for backward compatibility when you look at individual games. The most popular backward-compatible title in our sample, Call of Duty: Black Ops, was played by three or four out of every 1,000 active Xbox Live users, which is actually competitive with some of the most popular Xbox One titles. Usage rates for less-popular games drop off steeply from there, though, and no other backward-compatible title even ranks in the top 100 most popular Xbox One apps interms of total unique users.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/backward-compatible-xbox-360-games-are-less-than-2-of-xbox-one-usage-time/

All of these sources of potential error make us uncomfortable using our data to directly extrapolate total sales or usage numbers for the entire Xbox playerbase. The numbers and ratios presented in this report should only be considered representative, sampled estimates of the online portion of the Xbox community, which could be significantly different from the total community of Xbox owners. You can try to multiply out our percentages by reported hardware sales numbers if you want, but we wouldn’t stand behind that extrapolation.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Oh, now you done did it LOL

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Oh snap, a Sony fan just rekt themself! LOL. They said nobody plays games on Xbox One and Xbox One has no games. The vast majority of people are playing Xbox One games on the Xbox One, lol. Nothing like a good dosage of REKT UP yo!

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts
@kvally said:

Oh snap, a Sony fan just rekt themself! LOL. They said nobody plays games on Xbox One and Xbox One has no games. The vast majority of people are playing Xbox One games on the Xbox One, lol. Nothing like a good dosage of REKT UP yo!

Playing xOne game son it barely makes 50% ... That's really sad for a gaming system. ~44% of all time spent on an xOne is outside of games

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

5 per cent of the PS4 userbase bought Horizon Zero Dawn! This very unscientific using a third party API to look at who's playing BC game.

30 million owners and they claim they sampled 900k xbox gamers?

"In the end, only about 1.5 percent of the more than 1.65 billion minutes of Xbox One usage time we tracked was spent on the 300+ backward-compatible Xbox 360 games, in aggregate. That translates to an average of just 23.9 minutes per sampled active Xbox One user spent on Xbox 360 games!

This study is stupid you can't just lump every person together like that. You might have 1 guy playing a 360 game for 6 hours and another guy 30 minutes and he never touches it again.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kvally

Backward compatible boost makes Call of Duty: Black Ops II the 10th best selling game of April

https://www.windowscentral.com/backward-compatible-boost-makes-call-duty-black-ops-ii-10th-best-selling-game-april

Black Ops II finally hit the backward compatible list on April 11 after months of massive demand seen across social media. And while it's generally safe to assume games hitting the list see a decent bump in sales after they're released, Black Ops II even managed to best last year's Call of Duty release, Infinite Warfare, which came in at number eleven.

Here's a look at the full top ten, in order:

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Persona 5
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • MLB 17: The Show
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda
  • NBA 2K17
  • Overwatch
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II

-----------------------------------------------------

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-sales-jump-6000-after-xbox-one/1100-6441527/

Red Dead Redemption Sales Jump 6000% After Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Announcement

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kvally

@ArchoNils2 said:
@kvally said:

Playing xOne game son it barely makes 50% ... That's really sad for a gaming system. ~44% of all time spent on an xOne is outside of games

LOL, if you say so darling. But they said Xbox One has NO games and NOBODY plays it. They rekt themself.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Not too bad I suppose, out of the almost Million "active" Xbox live users surveyed they actually tried a BC game, so take that times the other 20-24 million other Xbox users and the number goes up even more. I've maybe played 2-3 hours tops of any BC games. I want to go back and play quite a few, but like the vast majority I'm playing newer releases games. There really hasn't been long enough of a dry spell for me to go back and revisit 360 games. Although with game pass that might change

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43937 Posts

Wait, did somebody say BC is X1's primary function? My goodness it's free to me and used all the time plus the 360 GWG games every month that work on X1. I wonder if this site even thought about that plus who knows who these people are that said they don't use it.

It's a free B to all X1 owners whether or not people choose to use it so one can make the argument MS certainly isn't doing it for a profit, no, no, no quite the contrary, ye old MS doing it for the gamers. Say it with me real gamers, for the gamers by the gamers. :P

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loe12k
@SecretPolice said:

Wait, did somebody say BC is X1's primary function? My goodness it's free to me and used all the time plus the 360 GWG games every month that work on X1. I wonder if this site even thought about that plus who knows who these people are that said they don't use it.

It's a free B to all X1 owners whether or not people choose to use it so one can make the argument MS certainly isn't doing it for a profit, no, no, no quite the contrary, ye old MS doing it for the gamers. Say it with me real gamers, for the gamers by the gamers. :P

They tried to downplay the Scorpio reveal, this site too. It likely a Sony paid shill too. Damaging controlling for Sony.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja

@loe12k said:
@SecretPolice said:

They tried to downplay the Scorpio reveal, this site too. It likely a Sony paid shill too. Damaging controlling for Sony.

You're not going to hold up a pizzaria any time soon, are you?

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loe12k

@Shewgenja said:
@loe12k said:
@SecretPolice said:

You're not going to hold up a pizzaria any time soon, are you?

They came out with their own article after the Digital foundry revealed the specs, downplaying the Scorpio. Now they back again when Sony is receiving heat about BC. Just find it odd personally.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

So a public-facing article (not one internally done by Sony/Microsoft) proving what we already know.

There is a reason why Sony and Microsoft basically ignored BC last gen and why even Nintendo stopped caring to some extent.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

You guys must know that when Execs make statements like BC doesn't matter, it's because they've seen metrics on the matter. This reminds me of when people were bitching about the lack of modes on Titanfall, and the devs came out and said nearly 99% of the users were playing 2 game modes, even after they added more.

BREAKING NEWS! - Gamers are full of shit

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

C'mon, this is... I don't know what this is:

The most popular backward-compatible title in our sample, Call of Duty: Black Ops, was played by three or four out of every 1,000 active Xbox Live users, which is actually competitive with some of the most popular Xbox One titles. Usage rates for less-popular games drop off steeply from there, though, and no other backward-compatible title even ranks in the top 100 most popular Xbox One apps interms of total unique users.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Like i have say many times this is something lemmings just hype but in reality few people touch next gen consoles is about next gen games not playing the same games you have been playing for 8 years already on one of the longest generation ever.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1099611

look at the title 300+ pages still get post every day.

Reality is outside a few games most people don't bother with it.

Nearly a million is a huge ass sample by the way specially for a 30 million user base.

@kvally said:

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Who said anyone bought Xbox just for BC? Its a free feature thats basically a bonus.

I know I've used it and I'm glad its available. I'm still waiting for them to add Battlestations Pacific, Star Trek Legacy and SpaceMarine if that ever happens.

Using this asshat logic then theres no reason to sell old games on PC either, since no one plays them.

Jim Ryan is is selling cows this bullshit to make excuses for Playstation not being competent enough to make BC work or too greedy to actually give it to their fans.

Of course all these dumbass cows here will agree. Cows all bought TLoU twice in one year for full price. Thats why hes saying this.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

You guys must know that when Execs make statements like BC doesn't matter, it's because they've seen metrics on the matter. This reminds me of when people were bitching about the lack of modes on Titanfall, and the devs came out and said nearly 99% of the users were playing 2 game modes, even after they added more.

lol this.

TLHBO (the lems of SW that is)

They hype the shit out of BC when in reality no one really gives a shit. Most people are done with last gen games.

Hell, I still own my PS3 and I can count the number of times on one hand I've gone back to it in the past year. It's not that BC is a bad feature, it's good but the reality is that most people buy systems to play new games on their new system.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mowgly1

@kvally:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-sales-jump-6000-after-xbox-one/1100-6441527/

Red Dead Redemption Sales Jump 6000% After Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Announcement

And sales before that was 0 copies. So much about sales.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 loe12k

Study is crap and they even say so, but they wanted the headlines. Damaging controlling for Sony? Or was this a legitimate news piece?

"All of these sources of potential error make us uncomfortable using our data to directly extrapolate total sales or usage numbers for the entire Xbox playerbase. The numbers and ratios presented in this report should only be considered representative, sampled estimates of the online portion of the Xbox community, which could be significantly different from the total community of Xbox owners. You can try to multiply out our percentages by reported hardware sales numbers if you want, but we wouldn’t stand behind that extrapolation"

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@SecretPolice: There doing it to pad the console reavel backlash not the gamers. If thing were about the gamers the way your trying to make it seem.. then new appeal ips would be out and halo wudda never been so depended on

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kvally

@mowgly1 said:

@kvally:

And sales before that was 0 copies.

Link?

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 293

#28 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2931 Posts

Data seems odd to me, honestly I expected Netflix to be higher and BC games of course. I play bc games all the time on Xone.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 loe12k

@quadknight said:
@goldenelementxl said:

lol this.

TLHBO (the lems of SW that is)

They hype the shit out of BC when in reality no one really gives a shit. Most people are done with last gen games.

Hell, I still own my PS3 and I can count the number of times on one hand I've gone back to it in the past year. It's not that BC is a bad feature, it's good but the reality is that most people buy systems to play new games on their new system.

Sony damage control worked, it so easy.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mowgly1

@kvally:

Dude, Red Dead was under 100th place on Amazon monthly charts. It's so easy to conclude that sales were goddamn low before jump.

Your small brain doesn't understand that. Sorry.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kvally

What does the Sonygaf link have to do with anything?

@tormentos said:

Like i have say many times this is something lemmings just hype but in reality few people touch next gen consoles is about next gen games not playing the same games you have been playing for 8 years already on one of the longest generation ever.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1099611

look at the title 300+ pages still get post every day.

Reality is outside a few games most people don't bother with it.

Nearly a million is a huge ass sample by the way specially for a 30 million user base.

@kvally said:

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shewgenja

So good to finally see numbers to quantify the apathy.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kvally

@mowgly1 said:

@kvally:

Dude, Red Dead was under 100th place on Amazon monthly charts. It's so easy to conclude that sales were goddamn low before jump.

So you have no proof, cool. That said, even if it was one copy sold and 6000 people bought it, that is huge. Or if it was 2 before, and now it is 12,000 purchases, that is more than most PS4 games.

We will wait for your link showing it was at zero sales.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice

@Livecommander:

BS... Link for proof. Of course you can't and what Real gamer cares why they're doing it, all that maters to us is that they are and it's free.

You got nothing but DC...

lol :P

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

3 to 4 out of every thousand huh , thats like 30 to 40 thousand out of the 30 million. Not to bad black ops which was already a record breaking franchise

This pretty much mean no other games have been downloaded more than 20 thousand times since the article say black ops was ahead by far

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#36 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

So you're saying they should just repackage and resell you the game for double the price of what it's worth instead of making their system backwards compatible?

Makes sense. PS4 owners ate up The Last of Us and Switch owners are currently eating up Wii U ports.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shewgenja

Ahh, the roar of paper tigers. . .

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kvally

Looks like the Sony fans are beyond damage control mode now. They are in full breakdown.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mowgly1

@kvally said:
@mowgly1 said:

@kvally:

So you have no proof, cool. That said, even if it was one copy sold and 6000 people bought it, that is huge. Or if it was 2 before, and now it is 12,000 purchases, that is more than most PS4 games.

Amazon's Movers & Shakers list, which tracks sales ranking and notes increases, lists a 6329% rise for Red Dead Redemption and currently lists it at as the 17th most popular video game on the site. It was previously at No. 1093.

I'm pretty sure that game at that place is selling like pure crap. Maybe 1 copy. Nice try to spin sales.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Lems just spamming "damage control" is so funny.

Can't wait for all 5 of you here to hype the next free 360 games.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I don't use it, since I don't care to play old games. It is however a great feature to have and is very consumer friendly....damn you MS for giving gamers choices!!!

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kvally

@mowgly1 said:
@kvally said:
@mowgly1 said:

@kvally:

Amazon's Movers & Shakers list, which tracks sales ranking and notes increases, lists a 6329% rise for Red Dead Redemption and currently lists it at as the 17th most popular video game on the site. It was previously at No. 1093.

I'm pretty sure that game at that place is selling like pure crap. Maybe 1 copy. Nice try to spin sales.

LOL, nice spin. So you have no link to back up your claim of 0 copies sold. How can you continue to embarrass yourself like that? Or maybe that is what excites you? There probably are people out there that enjoy making up bullshit. Tell us, how long have you been into that fetish?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shewgenja

Or, you know, we could just look at the usage statistic to see that, definitively, it's a purely ridiculous assertion to think that BC has moved a ton of copies of anything. . .

Herp. Derp.

Rahjee18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rahjee18
Member since 2015 • 28 Posts

Because most of us have already played most of those Xbox 360 games and the Xbox one games are better.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice

@jtothamtothap said:

I don't use it, since I don't care to play old games. It is however a great feature to have and is very consumer friendly....damn you MS for giving gamers choices!!!

Do you not even try out the 360 GWG games released every month? For me I always at lease play them for a while when they're games I never played on 360 last gen.

Oh and I love that last part of yours, it's well known SW hates options, well, at least when they're not available on their system of choice. lol :P

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Not true for me! Through BC I've played Fallout 3, Halo Reach, Forza Horizon, Kameo, Doom 1-3, Banjo 1-3, Perfect Dark, Viva Piñata, Dark Souls, Black Ops 1 and 2, World at War, South Park Stick of Truth, The Orange Box, and Bully.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

Hahaha and Xbox Fanboys here pretending that BC is such a must for them. It's also pretty sad that 50% of the time they spend it in non gaming related activities. No wonder Microsoft is not even trying to create games themselves.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

It seems Microsoft sent the damage control army to this thread.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 293

#49 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2931 Posts

Holy shit! How the **** does TV app have 6.7%?!!!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@kvally: You gotta pay for all of those right?

If BC was so in demand, why isn't it a basic feature of the console?

They charge because BC alone isn't a big enough draw to bring people to the console, so they decided to monetize the little demand that was there to make their efforts worth their while. Otherwise they wouldn't bother.

If BC on the Xbox One was so popular, Sony wouldn't be charging you extra to download the games as it would be a requested feature for the entire console.

You wanting BC to be popular doesn't make it popular. Even Nintendo dropped BC with the Switch, forcing you to rebuy games on their virtual console. If it was so in demand, why did Nintendo drop it?