Are you ok with 1800p and Checkerboard rendering be honest.?

• 124 results
#1 Posted by tormentos (29241 posts) -

I am curious on how people stand here aside from the usual my console is better than your console argument,are you really bother by checkerboard rendering and 1800p games.?

Are you ok with lesser resolutions like 1440 and 1080p.?

Should sony push for 1440p as well so that people with monitors can dig in as well.?

Or simply is 4k or nothing.?

#2 Edited by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

Depends if you want the best. If you want the best, than native 4K is what you want. To me id go either native 1080p or native 4K. No reason to go in between, its kind of a waste.

#3 Posted by Quicksilver128 (7075 posts) -

To me its all about results and what it looks like. From the previews there is little difference between checkerbored rendering and native 4k especially to console gamers who are about 6 feet from there screen. To a PC gamer who sits much cloer to a monitor i could see it being an issue.

#4 Posted by Chutebox (44748 posts) -

I'm not going to be gaming in 4k or higher resolutions for some time. So I really don't care about it.

#5 Posted by Epak_ (10714 posts) -

I really have to see the checkerboard rendering in action before making any decisions, the guys (or guy) at DF said it looks good, not as sharp as the real deal, but pretty good anyway. I'll be playing super sampled games for now since I don't have a 4k TV.

#6 Edited by dynamitecop (6395 posts) -

When it's actually in practice and I can compare it to native 4K using the same game, I'll let you know.

Also take note, games like Horizon: Zero Dawn are not 3200x1800, that is near 3x 1080p resolution, Horizon is 2x.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#7 Edited by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

@iandizion713: Digital Foundry disagrees with you.

So far the people that have seen the games in person have been impressed. Also if you are on 1080p display you get supersampling from 1800p/2100p or whatever which will pretty much be bullshots in motion.

#8 Posted by navyguy21 (15260 posts) -

My only issue with checkerboard rendering is the artifacts that come with it, especially on larger displays.

That slight ghosting is annoying.

#9 Edited by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@iandizion713: Digital Foundry disagrees with you.

With what? I keep my PC at 1080p. I have an amazing tru color 1080p monitor with awesome speakers. One day ill upgrade to an awesome 4K monitor with amazing speakers. Ill never spend big money to make a tiny jump, its not worth it to me.

I like buying high quality tech. When i buy a 4K monitor, ill be looking to buy the best of the best. Not just any 4K will do.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
#10 Posted by deactivated-583e460ca986b (7240 posts) -

October 24th, 2016. The day Tormentos became OK with consoles upscaling resolution.

On a serious note, I don't understand how the 4K resolution became the standard. Most movies are shot in "2K" and then either downscaled to 1080p or upscaled to 2160p. So not only will we not get native console games, but most movies and all TV won't support. PCs are the only source of abundant 4K content. Unfortunately it takes a beast of a PC to run this resolution.

In the end I'm fine with whatever. Just keep making games and I'll keep playing them. Native resolution or not.

#11 Posted by Zero_epyon (13376 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

October 24th, 2016. The day Tormentos became OK with consoles upscaling resolution.

On a serious note, I don't understand how the 4K resolution became the standard. Most movies are shot in "2K" and then either downscaled to 1080p or upscaled to 2160p. So not only will we not get native console games, but most movies and all TV won't support. PCs are the only source of abundant 4K content. Unfortunately it takes a beast of a PC to run this resolution.

In the end I'm fine with whatever. Just keep making games and I'll keep playing them. Native resolution or not.

That's a stance that I can agree with. I'll add that I'd be ok so long as the push for 4K doesn't impact performance to the point where the game is a stuttering mess.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#12 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

@iandizion713: They say the checkerboard rendering works pretty well. Not as good as native 4k, but about 90 percent of it. I think people will have to see the games in person to really see how well this works.

#13 Edited by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL: Its that 4K is a better jump than 2K. Game of Thrones is recorded in 6K and will be downscaled to 4K. Games look better going from 1080p upscaled to 4K then they do upscaled from 1080p to 2K.

#14 Posted by kvally (8445 posts) -

I am fine with the 1080p we have today on the X1 and PS4. I am fine with 4K checkerboarding on the PS Pro. I am fine with the 4K native on the Scorpio. More important to me are the games.

#15 Posted by dynamitecop (6395 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@iandizion713: They say the checkerboard rendering works pretty well. Not as good as native 4k, but about 90 percent of it. I think people will have to see the games in person to really see how well this works.

Well Phil Spencer is on record as saying you'll notice the difference with Scorpio vs. The competition so I'm assuming they've been messing with checkerboard rendering as well for some titles.

#16 Posted by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

Im sure they think it works well sitting on your couch 10ft from the TV. But PC will bring us the truth. Nvidia will bring us true power.

#17 Posted by kvally (8445 posts) -

@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Well Phil Spencer is on record as saying you'll notice the difference with Scorpio vs. The competition so I'm assuming they've been messing with checkerboard rendering as well for some titles.

Indeed. Checkerboarding isn't something new, and is used in current gen games. It looks nice, but it's not WOW. Look at Quantum Break and Rainbow Six Siege. It doesn't put it out there, but at least it's an improvement.

#18 Posted by Pedro (35649 posts) -

Works for me.

#19 Posted by Howmakewood (5967 posts) -

Id rather have 1080p with "top" settings and 60fps but nit really bithered is it native 4k or not, as long as the performance comes first

#20 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12546 posts) -

I'm fine with it. I really wish 4K wasn't the focus though. Give me 1080p60 with assets set to ultra+ over 4K30 and possibly med-high settings. To be fair though I've not seen any PS4 Pro games live so I have no idea how this checkerboard stuff looks.

#21 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

I don't have 4k nor plan on getting a 4k monitor/tv so of course im perfectly fine with 1080p. 1080p/60fps stable and maxed settings is what i want to see in my games, not 4k/30fps (or unstable 60fps that drops to mid 30's) and Medium-High settings.

#22 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (25254 posts) -

Probably. I still game at 1080p and 768p (14" laptop). Anything higher res is bound to look better.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
#23 Posted by deactivated-58abb194ab6fb (3984 posts) -

As long as the games look great..............................WHO CARES. Only fanboy numb nuts care about numbers over the actually games they are playing.

#24 Edited by Heil68 (58244 posts) -

I dont care really, I wont have a 4k TV till 2018 probably.

#25 Posted by scatteh316 (10253 posts) -

I'm getting a Pro for 1080p.....

#26 Posted by ProtossRushX (5701 posts) -

it would be cool if sony offered 21:9 widescreen 2560x1080 on the ps4 pro than I wouldn't have to stretch my image at all on my widescreen monitor

its almost the same amount of pixels as just normal 1440p monitor so I think they can do both 1440p and 1080p widescreen since very close to the same amount of power needed.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
#27 Posted by deactivated-583c85dc33d18 (1619 posts) -

Give me 60fps, or give me death.

I ain't give two toots about resolution.

#28 Posted by navyguy21 (15260 posts) -

Im fine with 1080p

I just want them to patch in 1440p (downsampled) and push for 60fps.

Heck, even 1080p/60fps is fine.

FPS is more important to me than 4k

#29 Edited by Howmakewood (5967 posts) -

@ProtossRushX: even if Sony added support for it as ps4 output, it would still be up to devs in the end, and you know how bad the 21:9 support is on pc, it would be even worse on console as majority uses tv:s as display

#30 Posted by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

@kvally said:

I am fine with the 1080p we have today on the X1 and PS4. I am fine with 4K checkerboarding on the PS Pro. I am fine with the 4K native on the Scorpio. More important to me are the games.

^ ^ This.

The only resolution I'm not okay with is 720p.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#31 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4939 posts) -

no

either go all in or don't.

real 4k or nothing

#32 Edited by osan0 (15457 posts) -

i wouldnt be against these things on a philosophical level. at the end of the day if devs have found a good way to squeeze more out of less without seriously hampering the end experience then go for it. i mean thats console development 101: lie, cheat, steal and pillage every last drop of performance you can out of a given spec.

hell i wouldnt be against it on the PC....just give the user the option to turn it off. no harm trying to squeeze a bit more life out of an ageing rig.

i remember the early days of post process AA (MLAA). god it was awful...it was like the screen was smeared with butter or something. a cure worse than the disease. but the basic idea of it (trying to remove jaggies while reducing the burden on the hardware) was good.

#33 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9768 posts) -

If I had a 4k tv, I'd care. I just can't bring myself to throw out my 1080p plasma that I bought 4 years ago to make room for one.

#34 Edited by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

It doesn't bother me personally, but if it isn't going to do 4k there really isn't a reason for me to upgrade to it. I mean why pay 400 bucks to play the few sony exclusives I want to play with better graphics? I'm getting a scorpio next year anyway and I just purchased a new GPU and turning my old media server into a gaming PC as I haven't been using it much Lately. It's cheaper/easier to just use netflix, hulu, and prime. and with play anywhere I can try out gears in 4k before the scorpio comes out and still play horde mode with my XB1 friends. I just need to find a place to put the tower cause it's huge, I'll probably put it behind the TV lol

#35 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

If I had a 4k tv, I'd care. I just can't bring myself to throw out my 1080p plasma that I bought 4 years ago to make room for one.

why would you have to throw it out? I have 6 TVs 2 of them are 4k. I could even use 2 more if i wanted to put one outside and 1 in the garage. There is always more places to put TVs lol

#36 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9768 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

why would you have to throw it out? I have 6 TVs 2 of them are 4k. I could even use 2 more if i wanted to put one outside and 1 in the garage. There is always more places to put TVs lol

It's big and heavy. It's really too big for any other room in my house. I could replace a smaller tv with a 4k set, but then I'd be sacrificing the sound system in my games. I'm actually sort of rooting for it to just stop working at this point so I can upgrade without pissing my wife off, lol.

#37 Edited by BassMan (10678 posts) -

The focus should be on frame rate first and foremost. Once a solid 60fps is achieved, then they can scale the graphics and resolution according to whatever headroom is available.

#38 Posted by dynamitecop (6395 posts) -

@kvally said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Indeed. Checkerboarding isn't something new, and is used in current gen games. It looks nice, but it's not WOW. Look at Quantum Break and Rainbow Six Siege. It doesn't put it out there, but at least it's an improvement.

Quantum Break and Rainbow Six Siege do not use checkerboard rendering, they use temporal reconstruction, completely different rendering method.

#39 Posted by Kruiz_Bathory (4765 posts) -

Tormentoes back at it!

#40 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31609 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Same, I'm gonna stick with 1080p for a while.

It's good enough and I really don't see the point in spending thousands on a new TV and monitor.

#41 Posted by Heil68 (58244 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Heil68 said:

Same, I'm gonna stick with 1080p for a while.

It's good enough and I really don't see the point in spending thousands on a new TV and monitor.

I just got my new 60" TV in 2015, so I'm good for a while.

#42 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31609 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Nice man !

I mean I like HDR and all, but it seems best to just wait a few years for prices to go down on this new tech.

If we are happy with our current products, and there really isn't hardware yet to run games 4K/60 fps, then what's the rush ?

#43 Posted by kvally (8445 posts) -

@dynamitecop said:
@kvally said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Quantum Break and Rainbow Six Siege do not use checkerboard rendering, they use temporal reconstruction, completely different rendering method.

You are correct about QB, I made an error on that. But the techniques do share some similarities. However, Rainbow Six Siege is indeed Checkerboard:

http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2016/Presentations/El_Mansouri_Jalal_Rendering_Rainbow_Six.pdf

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022990/Rendering-Rainbow-Six-Siege

http://wccftech.com/ubisoft-figured-fit-lot-stuff-esram/

http://gamingbolt.com/ubisofts-new-rendering-technique-allows-them-to-fit-a-lot-more-in-the-xbox-ones-esram

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/rendering-rainbow-six-siege

#44 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

It's big and heavy. It's really too big for any other room in my house. I could replace a smaller tv with a 4k set, but then I'd be sacrificing the sound system in my games. I'm actually sort of rooting for it to just stop working at this point so I can upgrade without pissing my wife off, lol.

lol The trick is to have a wife that spends so much, she can never complain about your purchases.

#45 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

@BassMan said:

The focus should be on frame rate first and foremost. Once a solid 60fps is achieved, then they can scale the graphics and resolution according to whatever headroom is available.

thats really just shooters, racers, and fighters. a game like south park wouldn't benefit from 60fps IMO. Or walking simulators like telltale games or until dawn

#46 Posted by Heil68 (58244 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Heil68 said:

Nice man !

I mean I like HDR and all, but it seems best to just wait a few years for prices to go down on this new tech.

If we are happy with our current products, and there really isn't hardware yet to run games 4K/60 fps, then what's the rush ?

I just got a 1070 that maxes 1080p on any PC game, I'm quite happy.

#47 Posted by Flyincloud1116 (6418 posts) -

@kvally said:

@dynamitecop said:

When it's actually in practice and I can compare it to native 4K using the same game, I'll let you know.

Also take note, games like Horizon: Zero Dawn are not 3200x1800, that is near 3x 1080p resolution, Horizon is 2x.

I agree with both of you. Take this thumb before hell freezes over.

#48 Posted by kvally (8445 posts) -

@flyincloud1116: there is that thumb again!!!

#49 Edited by R4gn4r0k (31609 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

I just got a 1070 that maxes 1080p on any PC game, I'm quite happy.

I paid around 400 euro for my GTX970 that still serves me really well.

But yet, in order to get the current line of high end cards. I see prices upwards of 600-800 euros.

That's a price hike of 150-200% in the span of a single graphics card generation.

I really want AMD to come back, not really happy with this situation :(

#50 Posted by tormentos (29241 posts) -

@dynamitecop said:

They can do that and increase performance or visuals as well,i am sure Scorpio will be capable of doing it and saving resources in the process,but i think MS will not allow it at first and will probably push for 4k native as that is their selling point.