Are you mostly a handheld/mobile gamer or tv/monitor gamer?

• 61 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SolidGame_basic

Poll Are you mostly a handheld/mobile gamer or tv/monitor gamer? (65 votes)

100% tv/monitor 58%
75% tv/monitor, 25% handheld/mobile 32%
50/50! 5%
75% handheld/mobile / 25% tv/monitor 5%
100% handheld/mobile 0%

I would say currently I'm 75% tv/monitor. Maybe even more than that. I really enjoy playing games on my nice TV or on my ultra wide monitor. The new consoles have great power and the visuals are stunning! With handheld, I feel like your experience will vary. Although I do enjoy my Switch for those moments I can't access a a TV, most of the time I'm not on the go. And when I am on the go, I'm not really looking to stopping and playing my Switch randomly lol. Although there are perfect situations for the Switch like if you're on a plane or something. But overall, more of a 'stationary' gamer lol.

How about you, SW? Are you mostly a handheld/mobile gamer or tv/monitor gamer?

• 
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#51 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 19371 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: yeah, I'm definitely gonna do my homework on this thing to be sure it doesn't have any crippling issues that will be deal breakers down the road...

... But I'd be off the mark to say things like, "bring on vita 2.0!" and not be excited for this device. It's advertising doing what I've wanted since the vita...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 TheEroica  Moderator

@vfighter said:

@TheEroica: Maybe the pictures are throwing me off, but that thing looks anything but small and compact.

I mean... Yeah it's a little bigger than a switch, but far more compact than a gaming laptop would be.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 5319 Posts

What I don't like about the steam deck is the face buttons position. Seems uncomfortable.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 37817 Posts

Would say 75% on the TV or monitor and 25% on the handheld.

Our TVs have gotten bigger and bigger, but sometimes a certain kind of game just fits being played on a Switch, or even GBA sized screen.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1427 Posts

@TheEroica said:

I can appreciate that I'm perhaps in a very small minority, but I don't subscribe to any of what you're saying. I'm their direct audience I feel...

I want what the switch offers but with all my games. Not some, all... They're all exclusives to me... On the go exclusives. Don't consider myself any one kind of gamer, certainly not a pc gamer though I have a catalog of games non steam from a gaming laptop I used to try to get into pc gaming.

I don't own a switch for the exclusives. I only like a couple of them. I own it for the portability and the chance that games I love will come out for it. Currently playing Ninja Gaiden Collection for example.

It's okay if you like it. After all, I got the Wii U and that was a huge flop. However, I'm just being honest. The audience for this product seems pretty niche. You also have to notice that most of the people who celebrate the Steam Deck on this forum are either the anti-Nintendo crowd, or Nintendo fans who were disappointed at the OLED Switch announcement. Not saying you're one of those people, but you do have to notice that seems to make up most of the people excited about it. Also, look at this poll. Less than half of the people on here even touch mobile/handheld gaming, yet they're oh so excited for the Steam Deck...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 10807 Posts

This picture tells me that the deck will be so much more comfier. The Switch feels like you're holding a piece of cardboard they've made for children, the ones that will never complain about it not being comfy to hold in hands.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 32484 Posts

@hardwenzen: the Deck reminds me of a Wii U Gamepad and I expect it to have the same battery life.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 10807 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@hardwenzen: the Deck reminds me of a Wii U Gamepad and I expect it to have the same battery life.

Looks way more ergonomic to me.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TheEroica  Moderator

@luxuryheart: honestly, I've seen no real trend or anyone trying to dupe anyone with fake hype. I love my switch. It was the answer to my gaming prayers. I do think there are many like me who have a need for what steam deck offers because switch opened our eyes to it...

May still be niche I suppose we'll see.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3032 Posts

TV/Monitor all day. but there are times where in i like portable for those grindy or long RPG games.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#62 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10706 Posts

i'm probably 80ish% monitor/20% TV.

Certain games I like to play on the couch with a controller but most of my game time these days is playing stuff with friends and I'm better set up to do that at the desk on the monitor.

Never got into mobile/handheld gaming. I spend enough time playing games at home I don't need to feed my addiction when i'm out and about.