Are you impressed with Xbox's voice commands + interface?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/microsoft-walks-you-through-xbox-one-s-user-interf/2300-8197/

It seems really slick and actually quite sophisticated even though I'm not getting an Xbox.

I like how quickly they're saying they can get you back into the game.

Does the PS4 have any voice commands? How does it interface compare to the Xbox?

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

PS4 is basically a PS3 with better visuals and an even worse UI:

Loading Video...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/microsoft-walks-you-through-xbox-one-s-user-interf/2300-8197/

It seems really slick and actually quite sophisticated even though I'm not getting an Xbox.

Does the PS4 have any voice commands? How does it interface compare to the Xbox?

To answer the question you asked:

Yes, the PS4 was announced to have voice commands and you don't need the PS camera thing, just the included PS4 headset. Of course, Sony does have their camera for $60, and maybe it opens up more voice options, I'm not sure. Will it be as good? Probably not, Sony is spending more of their R&D on the gaming aspects of their console power and gaming development. Voice is not a feature for everyone, but to each their own. Again though, yes, the PS4 does have voice commands.

I can't tell you PS4 or Xbone voice specifics because when I read the headlines about voice commands I skipped past them as I don't care for that feature in any machine. I've dabbled with it in the past, it's not for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I am. It looks like the best thing about the console so far

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Loading Video...

lol, look.., we get that YOU don't like it, but other people do. YOU can stop posting the same shit in every UI thread.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I think the XB1 UI is pretty cool actually.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

The concept is okay short term but I think I will stick to buttons long term.

I can't see myself saying "Xbox/PS on" or "Xbox/PS go to photos"

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@remiks00 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Loading Video...

lol, look.., we get that

YOU

don't like it, but other people do.

YOU

can stop posting the same shit in every UI thread.

The same thing can be said about The One and/or its games but I have no problem with people bashing that so get over it.

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Multipass35
Member since 2013 • 312 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@biggest_loser said:

To answer the question you asked:

Yes, the PS4 was announced to have voice commands and you don't need the PS camera thing, just the included PS4 headset. Of course, Sony does have their camera for $60, and maybe it opens up more voice options, I'm not sure. Will it be as good? Probably not, Sony is spending more of their R&D on the gaming aspects of their console power and gaming development. Voice is not a feature for everyone, but to each their own. Again though, yes, the PS4 does have voice commands.

I can't tell you PS4 or Xbone voice specifics because when I read the headlines about voice commands I skipped past them as I don't care for that feature in any machine. I've dabbled with it in the past, it's not for me.

What games? knack and indie games no one plays?

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Multipass35

@remiks00 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Loading Video...

lol, look.., we get that

YOU

YOU

So YOU like slow and laggy UI? LOL good luck.

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

I play games not interfaces so no

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Multipass35

@El_Garbanzo said:

Pretty excited for knack huh? i feel ya!

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah I am very impressed with how kinect is being used for the GUI integration, basically sold me on the system, though I will still wait and see what the failure rates will be like.

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

@multipass35 said:

@El_Garbanzo said:

Pretty excited for knack huh? i feel ya!

More than sports, TV and kinect. Thats all xbone will offer 2 years from now

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@getyeryayasout: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tn1TuRd89IY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dtn1TuRd89IY

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I'd have to use it myself to feel the experience and if it's any better than using a controller.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#18 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

I'd have to use it myself to feel the experience and if it's any better than using a controller.

Would it matter if its better or worse? You can still use the controller if you like it more.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@multipass35 said:

@remiks00 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Loading Video...

lol, look.., we get that

YOU

YOU

So YOU like slow and laggy UI? LOL good luck.

lol, this guy. Not even going to waste time with you. Thanks for the +1 though.

TruthBToldShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TruthBToldShow
Member since 2011 • 352 Posts

@biggest_loser: I think you'll find both UI's doing some great stuff. Getting into or back to your game will be very fast on both. Menu control via camera and/or microphone will be equal on both.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

I've seen some vids of the stuff and it's kinda neat but the first priority should have been making great hardware. Once you've achieved that ya can move on to making great software. But they utterly failed with step #1 (The console is half the power it should have been. Flippin' half!!!) so it's a no-go for me. I ain't thrilled with PS4's hardware either as it's only 75% of what it should have been but 75% is better than 50%. Both went with the right amount of RAM but the chips are well below what I expected.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

@charizard1605: my feelings as well. Voice looks cool... Actually dare I say welcoming.... Everything else has me worried.

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts

Being able to go to anything at any point in time instantly without having to close stuff is great. Way better than pushing a button to dash then cycle to some obscure section and all that.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@TruthBToldShow said:

@biggest_loser: I think you'll find both UI's doing some great stuff. Getting into or back to your game will be very fast on both. Menu control via camera and/or microphone will be equal on both.

Not a chance

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Not really. Will never use it if I get an xbone.

mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts

Will say from the video posted the ps4 ui looks atrociously clunky.

Derpnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Derpnl
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Voice commands? PS4 will have it too. Interface? It's Windows 8 LOL, so no, hell no

Give me the PS4 ui anyday

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

it looks a lot better than the current kinect. now if only someone can actually put it to good use.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#29 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

I like it quite a a lot. Cant wait to get my hands on them

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Yeah, I like it. Impressive stuff.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

The X1 UI looks awesome. The way the Kinect can identify you and your friends and instantly switch between user preferences... snap internet, skype, movies and games all with one another.. instant pause and resume.. there really isn't any competition from the ps4 in this regard.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Absolutely impressed. Kinect 2.o looks to be far superior to the first. Just this overall presentation feels so much more advanced than the PS4. I might game primarily, but I'm going to use this system for years and for much more than gaming. That's the draw to me. The PS4 remains in my eyes just a better graphics PS3. More horsepower isn't enough for me.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@Heil68 said:

Why wouldn't you want to use it? I can understand for games although devs will want to develop for it now and indies could make it interesting but for everything else it seems great

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I would never use interface as a determinant for what gaming device I buy. I use games. I could be old fashioned...but I think most intelligent gamers choose with games in mind. But hey....have fun with your interface while we're gaming.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

Why wouldn't you want to use it? I can understand for games although devs will want to develop for it now and indies could make it interesting but for everything else it seems great

I'll never use any console to search the web, when I have a tablet so that's completely out. I have a harmony remote that can turn the system on and turn the tv and receiver to proper input with one button.

I would never pause a game to watch TV, like ever. I have a separate dvr/cable box and I'm not going to run my cable through the xbone or any Sony console. If for some reason I want to switch to TV while playing games(which has never happened to me), it's a simple 1 button press. Usually when I switch back to TV, I'm done playing games I have never in my 20+ years of gaming wanted to switch back and forth from TV and games.

Again I have a tablet with me to check sports scores, look at walkthroughs ect ect and yes it even has Skype on it.

Those functions while they might be appealing to some users, are beyond useless to me and would not help make my gaming experience better.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I would never use interface as a determinant for what gaming device I buy. I use games. I could be old fashioned...but I think most intelligent gamers choose with games in mind. But hey....have fun with your interface while we're gaming.

Both consoles are going to get more than enough games. The interface on the other hand, is something you're gonna have to use every time you use the system. The interface and features are what distinguish the consoles now. Exclusives are becoming less relevant since there are so few actually worth playing now.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

I'll never use any console to search the web, when I have a tablet so that's completely out. I have a harmony remote that can turn the system on and turn the tv and receiver to proper input with one button.

I would never pause a game to watch TV, like ever. I have a separate dvr/cable box and I'm not going to run my cable through the xbone or any Sony console. If for some reason I want to switch to TV while playing games(which has never happened to me), it's a simple 1 button press. Usually when I switch back to TV, I'm done playing games I have never in my 20+ years of gaming wanted to switch back and forth from TV and games.

Again I have a tablet with me to check sports scores, look at walkthroughs ect ect and yes it even has Skype on it.

Those functions while they might be appealing to some users, are beyond useless to me and would not help make my gaming experience better.

I feel the same for most of that but it does a lot of minor things very well and stuff like this is beyond stunning:

Loading Video...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Heil68

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

I feel the same for most of that but it does a lot of minor things very well and stuff like this is beyond stunning:

I have a gym membership and I'm physically fit and if you check that out it's only free for the first year, then it will require some form of subscription.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Man that voice command garbage would get so damn old in like 20 minutes. No thanks to that crap but all the PS4 peeps still get it without dealing with the xbone trainwreck.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

I have a gym membership and I'm physically fit and if you check that out it's only free for the first year, then it will require some form of subscription.

But do you get gamerscore from working out at the gym? #motivation

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

I guess for those people who need a video game for motivation to get in shape, good for them. I have motivation to be healthy and fit without it.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

I guess for those people who need a video game for motivation to get in shape, good for them. I have motivation to be healthy and fit without it.

It's mostly the competitive side of it that appeals to me as I do all my workouts at home aside from running so I think it would be really fun getting achievements/scores/leaderboards etc.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

No I am not impressed. I am more into the gaming specs of the consoles, not the silly bells and whistles that come with them. Besides, both have voice commands anyways.

Derpnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Derpnl
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

#

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

No, but you sure as hell get better results. #motivation

So when you get all the points, you will have zero motivation left? LOL

Your motivation should be that you will get healthier and look better due to exercising

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@derpnl said:

#

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Heil68 said:

No, but you sure as hell get better results. #motivation

So when you get all the points, you will have zero motivation left? LOL

Your motivation should be that you will get healthier and look better due to exercising

No. I do the workouts regardless but this would be like having a gym partner or running partner in that it would push you more and make it really fun

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SonofK
Member since 2013 • 1088 Posts

@remiks00 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Loading Video...

lol, look.., we get that

YOU

YOU

Objectively the PS4's UI is garbage. The people who actually like it are the people willing to accept inferiority, they are willing to accept that Sony cannot do software or networking to save their lives, and they're willing to accept what is objectively a hideous chud of UI that's just now getting watered down versions of features that were available on the 360 back in 2006.

People want to bash the XB1 for being 100$ more? At least for that 100$ you're getting voice and video features, full integration with features like Skype and TV, dedicated servers for all game, a far superior cloud infrastructure compared to Gaikai, and a sleek, fast UI with a snapping feature, compared to the slow, clunky, ugly UI that's on the PS4.

Anyway people look at it, Microsoft was in the right by pushing innovation with their console, Sony did nothing but make a souped up PS4.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

not really because i have no use for it and im certainly not paying $60 a year just for that

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D
@SonofK said:

@remiks00 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Loading Video...

lol, look.., we get that

YOU

YOU

Objectively the PS4's UI is garbage. The people who actually like it are the people willing to accept inferiority, they are willing to accept that Sony cannot do software or networking to save their lives, and they're willing to accept what is objectively a hideous chud of UI that's just now getting watered down versions of features that were available on the 360 back in 2006.

People want to bash the XB1 for being 100$ more? At least for that 100$ you're getting voice and video features, full integration with features like Skype and TV, dedicated servers for all game, a far superior cloud infrastructure compared to Gaikai, and a sleek, fast UI with a snapping feature, compared to the slow, clunky, ugly UI that's on the PS4.

Anyway people look at it, Microsoft was in the right by pushing innovation with their console, Sony did nothing but make a souped up PS4.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@sailor232 said:

Yeah I am very impressed with how kinect is being used for the GUI integration, basically sold me on the system, though I will still wait and see what the failure rates will be like.

Concerned with failure rates, too. Not quite as high as the whole RROD fiasco, but I'd wager they'll be higher than average.