SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Or do you still wish they made consoles? I think they have done pretty well with accumulating great IP's. Persona, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Total War, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Alien, Football Manager etc. Sonic Mania is looking to be good too. Overall, they managed to keep themselves relevant in the gaming world. Wouldn't you think so, SW? Let us know your thoughts.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

They're doing ok, but I'd love to see them return to hardware. I miss their old classics.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

They've never been better.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Hell no, they are sitting on the best IP's in gaming and doing F**k all with them.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

thye're great I think , they're just greedy

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts
@the_master_race said:

This.

I think they publish a lot of great games, especially on PC where we got Total war and Company of Heroes.

But the DLC practices of Total War are pure greed: every month they release a new 20 dollar DLC expansion, I'm never going to buy any DLC. For newer total war games I'll wait for a complete edition or just not buy them anymore.

Company of Heroes 2 DLC practices were mildly furiating, somewhat alleviated by a drop system/scrap system.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#7 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Mixed bag. Their Sonic games vary between mediocre and bad, and they lack a company-defining, best-selling franchise. That said, between Company of Heroes, Dawn of War and Total War, they're pretty much single-handedly keeping the RTS genre alive, now that Blizzard seemed to have checked out in favour of more Overwatch loot boxes and World of Warcraft expansions. They've also recently bought Endless Space 2, which looks slick as heck.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Well they publish football manager, its the game I spend by far the most time on so I like them.

I cant see another company joining or rejoining the console race, sega or anyone else.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Yakuza is always great and they started the series as well did they not?

Persona is good.

Dawn of War is good

Alien as in Alien Isolation? If so pretty decent.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PutASpongeOn

@i_p_daily said:

Hell no, they are sitting on the best IP's in gaming and doing F**k all with them.

Yakuza has what, 11 games to it's name not including the shitty non sega one that I heard on a youtube channel existed about a different cast of characters?

Seems pretty good to me.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PutASpongeOn

@the_master_race said:

Which is kind of weird since yakuza games don't come with any paid dlc.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

There's only two consoles now, so it might be time for them to come back and introduce an alternative.

It's true that they are nowhere near where they were, but at least they understand that. Konami seems to revel in being less than they were, Sega are taking steps to rectify it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

I don't want them to do consoles again, and no, I'm not very happy with SEGA. Last time they made a game I like was 14 years ago.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@DocSanchez said:

There's only two consoles now, so it might be time for them to come back and introduce an alternative.

I just don't see how, or even why. As alluring as it sounds to have Sega back in the hardware race, where would they fit in?

They can't go head to head with Sony and MS at their own game. And even if they could, it would be yet another multiplatform box that you have to buy for the occasional worthwhile exclusive.

I think the very same things you dislike about Nintendo would carry over to this hypothetical Sega box as well. They wouldn't be competing on power, so they'd have to squeeze out some "gimmick". Somehow they'd have to cut their own niche. So more than likely you'd end up with an underpowered box, limited 3rd party support, and yay, if you want Sega games you have to buy it.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_master_race
@putaspongeon said:
@the_master_race said:

well , you shoud've seen the practices they made with Rome 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@the_master_race said:

How do we define the line between profitable company and greed company though. At what point do we start to resent a company for wanting to do well?

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PutASpongeOn

@the_master_race said:
@putaspongeon said:
@the_master_race said:

Don't play it but I'm a big fan of yakuza and dawn of war.

I'm excited to play persona 5 as well.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_master_race
@boycie said:
@the_master_race said:

How do we define the line between profitable company and greed company though. At what point do we start to resent a company for wanting to do well?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@the_master_race said:

Total war went from having a decent quality expansion for a fair price,

to having a bunch of DLC that is either not worth the money, either of very low quality or just plain overcharged at the price of an expansion for a piece of DLC...

@the_master_race said:

Now this is actually a good move.

Skins don't bother me as preorder incentive. Cutting away missions, cutting away content, cutting away races, cutting away units to sell as pre-order DLC, now that bothers me.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Where's my new Monkey Ball, SEGA? (I feel like I'm the only one that care about the series)

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Not bad at all. They're offering a number of well liked IP's. And I'm glad they're not doing hardware. That time has come and gone.

Doing much better than Atari for sure.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

The Sega of today is a pale comparison of the days I had a Genesis.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58947 Posts

Outside of Valve, they're probably the best pc Publisher around atm.

Still haven't brought the 8-bit Shinobi's or Panzer Dragoon to Steam yet though.

pricks.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Sega just needs to become part of the powah house MS 1st party devs.

343i, Turn 10, Rare, The Coalition and SEGA and all will once again be right in the world of VG's!!! :D

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DocSanchez

@ConanTheStoner: I wasn't really serious about the sega box. Just a bit of mischief. They couldn't do it, unless they went off track or went into partnership with someone big like Samsung. They aren't big enough any more and the world has passed them by.

They are only now remembering how to run a games company. Sonic Boom was a short while ago. They, like Nintendo, have a wealth of franchises they never use.

GOTZFAUST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GOTZFAUST
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

@boycie said:
@the_master_race said:

Sega does alot of things, but just not what people want. Therefore people think they are greedy, evil, a shadow of their former self etc.

New Valkyria? Let's make it a different genre.

New Daytona? Let's make it arcade only, in the West nobody plays them anymore

New Virtual On? Let's mash with an unrelated anime franchise.

Monkey Ball 3? Let's make casual Wii games, phone games and then the best game in the series since 2 on a platform nobody has, the Vita.

New PSO? Let's make it completly Japan focused with tie ins, and never release it in West?

Bayonetta 2? Let's give it up

Potentially new exciting games by their best development teams (arcade teams AM2, AM3 etc.), Japanese arcade only, and not games that people expect like a new Virtua Cop, but a new ARPG like Soul Reverse

You may not like it, but at least they do stuff, which I can't say for Konami and whatever else Japanese company that lost relevance.

I appreciate that they do Yakuza, Sonic Mania and Atlus etc. but I follow their other decisions just as well.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Sega is relevant, profitable, and still making great games. Sonic Racing Transformed on WiiU is the bomb. Ditto for Yakuza. Hell yeah I'm happy with Sega. they are back in the black. Game companies don't need a console to succeed.

And honestly Sega was never garnered the most profit from having a console, but the Dreamcast was a friggin BEAST.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

No. They don't make enough of an effort to try out some of their other IPs or let their teams do other shit besides Sonic a lot of the time. Nagoshi's crew has been making lemonade out of small ass budgets for the Yakuza series, they routinely take forever to bring that series over to the west, and when they do, dumbest fucking release decisions. Why the **** did Yakuza Zero release on the same day as Resident Evil 7? And the chances of me getting a Binary Domain 2 isn't happening.

They own 3 or 4 Platinum IPs, so I'm at the mercy of them if I want a Bayonetta 3 or a Vanquish 2 unless one of the big first parties jumps in.

I don't know what the **** they did to the Valkyria series, but that first game is excellent, and the sequels are mostly good but a step down. The new one, is just a fucking jrpg, as opposed to you know, the srpg I liked?

The Sonic racing game should get a crack making another one of those because it's good, or, even better, should get a crack at trying their own F-Zero like game, since they made the most badass one on the gamecube.

Total War is good, though I question if Creative Assembly gets enough time to actually finish their games. Mad buggy. Relic I'm sure will do fine as a strategy dev, though I was pretty disappointed by Company of Heroes 2 (as I Find the original to be quite excellent), so I'll probably settle and finally play the Dawn of War series.

Otherwise, where the **** is my Virtua Fighter 6?

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Nope i buy the yakuza games comimg on ps4 but i expect more i miss dreamcast days games like ecco the Dolphin skies of Arcadia head hunder jet set radio and good arcade games like crazy taxi outrun shinobi ihope sega anounce Shenmue HD i buy it

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

Honestly if it weren't for Sonic Mania and Yakuza I'd probably start forgetting they even existed. That and the lack of PSO2 western release pisses me off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I wish they would make a console again.

Ever since Sega stopped making consoles, they have been playing things too safe and they have many great franchises that they just keep locked away. If Sega made a new console, they would have to revive all of the classic Sega franchises that have been dormant and it would force Sega to take risks again and risk-taking Sega is much better than conservative Sega.

As a console maker, Sega was always very innovative and I would love to see what new innovations they would bring to the table.

A new Sega console would also provide something that is missing from the market right now: arcade games! Sega consoles were always the best consoles for arcade-like games and now more than ever as the industry is so focused on story-driven games and realistic sim games nowadays, a Sega console that offered a lot of arcade-like games like Sega consoles have always been known for would be something that I think many people that miss these kind of games would find appealing and give it a unique identity in the current market.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Well they're giving me Sonic Mania and more Yakuza than ever. They also gave Yu Suzuki their blessing to make Shenmue III, and they publish a good amount of titles, especially on the PC, so I'm happy with them in that regard. Plus their new CEO seems to have established a culture that revolves around giving their developers as much time as they need to ensure quality.

With that said, it's hard to say I'm satisfied when, for all intents and purposes, they're sitting on:

• Streets of Rage
  • NiGHTS
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Shinobi
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Virtual On
  • Virtua Racing
  • Virtua Tennis
  • Virtua Cop
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Last Bronx
  • Fighting Vipers
  • SEGA Rally
  • Space Harrier
  • After Burner
  • Out Run
  • Hang-On
  • Alex Kidd
  • Ristar
  • Valkyria Chronicles (Azure Revolution doesn't count and sucks)
  • (A real) Phantasy Star
  • (A real) Shining Force
  • House of the Dead
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Guardian Heroes
  • GunValkyrie
  • Alien Soldier
  • Thunder Force
  • Herzog Zwei
  • Burning Rangers
  • Space Channel 5
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Super Monkey Ball
  • Chu Chu Rocket
  • Billy Hatcher
  • Columns
  • Golden Axe
  • All-Stars Racing

and they're not doing anything with them.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

No, they're sitting on a locked chest of golden IPs that will most likely never see the light of day.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

Hell no. They're pissing me off to no end for the most part.

No PSO2 for the west.

The Daytona USA 3 arcade game prototype they showed did not even have manual transmission.

No word on Sega 3D Classics Collection: Final Stage for NA.

They announced the extremely idiotic sounding "A Certain Magical Virtual-On" for PS4 and Vita in 2018.

Too much other bullshit to list.

GOTZFAUST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GOTZFAUST
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

I wish they would make a console again.

Ever since Sega stopped making consoles, they have been playing things too safe and they have many great franchises that they just keep locked away. If Sega made a new console, they would have to revive all of the classic Sega franchises that have been dormant and it would force Sega to take risks again and risk-taking Sega is much better than conservative Sega.

As a console maker, Sega was always very innovative and I would love to see what new innovations they would bring to the table.

A new Sega console would also provide something that is missing from the market right now: arcade games! Sega consoles were always the best consoles for arcade-like games and now more than ever as the industry is so focused on story-driven games and realistic sim games nowadays, a Sega console that offered a lot of arcade-like games like Sega consoles have always been known for would be something that I think many people that miss these kind of games would find appealing and give it a unique identity in the current market.

1. Sega doesn't port their arcade games to console, because they need to support their actual arcade locations in Japan

2. Sega would not revive their old franchises for a new console.

Also they make lots of new IP still. They are all Japanese exlcusive on mobile phones or arcades

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@SOedipus: The Genesis and Dreamcast eras beg to differ.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'll be happy with them if they put Shenmue 1 & 2 in an HD Collection on PS4 and PC before Shenmue 3 hits.

Otherwise no. They've been a severe disappointment since the end of Dreamcast.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@DocSanchez said:

I just don't see how, or even why. As alluring as it sounds to have Sega back in the hardware race, where would they fit in?

They can't go head to head with Sony and MS at their own game. And even if they could, it would be yet another multiplatform box that you have to buy for the occasional worthwhile exclusive.

I think the very same things you dislike about Nintendo would carry over to this hypothetical Sega box as well. They wouldn't be competing on power, so they'd have to squeeze out some "gimmick". Somehow they'd have to cut their own niche. So more than likely you'd end up with an underpowered box, limited 3rd party support, and yay, if you want Sega games you have to buy it.

Pretty much this and what way Sega can do that the other 2 (Sony/MS) can't on there consoles? At this point, all the features we seen from both PS4/Xbox One has already been done, Sega coming back to console business would be a huge mistake and cost them even more bankrupt then they are now. Nintendo knows if you leave the console business, your ass is never coming back.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DocSanchez

@Renegade_Fury: Yes. This. So many excellent franchises.

They don't have to make a new console. But do something about these. Shining Force IV. Phantasy Star. A Golden Axe Warrior sequel. Anything.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#40 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

@m_machine024 said:

Where's my new Monkey Ball, SEGA? (I feel like I'm the only one that care about the series)

Been playing my SMB1 GameCube (the only way to play Monkey Ball as the PS2/XBOX dual ports suck, the Wii games to my understanding weren't that great and the Vita game got SLAMMED worse than Adventure) when I can and would love to see a new one.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#41 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

@thehig1 said:

Well they publish football manager, its the game I spend by far the most time on so I like them.

I cant see another company joining or rejoining the console race, sega or anyone else.

I can see a company joining the console race. Nintendo and MS aren't putting in enough effort for their consoles. I don't think Sega has enough money to make a new console.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

@ConanTheStoner: I wasn't really serious about the sega box. Just a bit of mischief. They couldn't do it, unless they went off track or went into partnership with someone big like Samsung. They aren't big enough any more and the world has passed them by.

They are only now remembering how to run a games company. Sonic Boom was a short while ago. They, like Nintendo, have a wealth of franchises they never use.

Oh I see lol.

But yeah, I'd love to see them put these IPs to work. Seems like an issue with larger Japanese game companies in general, they leave so many worthwhile IPs dormant. I just don't get it.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

Sonic SXSW 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xM_MK8yRA4

https://www.twitch.tv/tssznews

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Or do you still wish they made consoles? I think they have done pretty well with accumulating great IP's. Persona, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza, Total War, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Alien, Football Manager etc. Sonic Mania is looking to be good too. Overall, they managed to keep themselves relevant in the gaming world. Wouldn't you think so, SW? Let us know your thoughts.

Sega died along with the dreamcast. They use to be a Top tier developer and I thought the dreamcast was a great comeback system. They burned too many bridges and I can't blame the fans to come back to sega after the cd,32x, and saturn debacle. They remind me of like Rareware being only the company in name. The good talent of Sega left years ago. Most of their games these days are average to just bad. RIP SEGA!

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@GameboyTroy: hell no. nobody is ever going to go into console manufacturing again.

Sony killed all their ps1-2 profits with the ps3.

MS STILL hasn't made back the billions to enter in 2001

Nintendo is dying with each year.

Sony controls the console world. They were just fucking stupid last gen.

Valve has proven that Steam like services are FAAAAAR more profitable with FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR less risk. That's the future. Hell MS agees.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@GameboyTroy: hell no. nobody is ever going to go into console manufacturing again.

Sony killed all their ps1-2 profits with the ps3.

MS STILL hasn't made back the billions to enter in 2001

Nintendo is dying with each year.

Sony controls the console world. They were just fucking stupid last gen.

Valve has proven that Steam like services are FAAAAAR more profitable with FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR less risk. That's the future. Hell MS agees.

Nintendo has had one year of actual financial losses, otherwise they make profits year to year like it's nothing. Sony, while bleeding money on the most over produced hardware ever, has a marketshare of a 100 million, 100 million, 80 million (when they were fucking up), and then another 100 million. I like shitting on the consoles as much as the next guy, but nah, the console space is doing great. Excellent even.

But sure no one will make it, because probably no one else in a real position to compete in that space.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@m_machine024 said:

Been playing my SMB1 GameCube (the only way to play Monkey Ball as the PS2/XBOX dual ports suck, the Wii games to my understanding weren't that great and the Vita game got SLAMMED worse than Adventure) when I can and would love to see a new one.

I got Monkey Ball Banana Blitz at Wii launch and I love it. Some didn't like the jump button but I didn't mind at all. I think it is maybe the last good game in the series tho. There is one on the DS but I didn't try it.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@jg4xchamp: but that's what i'm saying. One gen alone costed Sony a **** load to money. SEGA returning would require an enourmous investment against an extremely difficult industry that is mostly controlled by Sony already.

Ms and Ninty have either not recovered the investment or keep selling worse with each new gen due to lack of 3rd party support, which SEGA would need to get with an unproven new console.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Won't be happy with Sega till I see a legit Phantasy Star 5.... not this online mmo bs.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@GameboyTroy: it looks like it's to big a risk for a company to enter console race