Are you happy with the current state of gaming or would you wish for something more/different?

• 74 results
pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

Would you want to see the gaming industry release AA/AAA titles that don't take themselves too seriously more frequently? With that I'm referring to titles that stray from the modern, epic gritty/realistic theme, or filled with dystopian/post-apocalyptic worlds.

Up until the 6th generation, I remember we had that sweet spot where multiple genres coexisted and that would make up for a varied and imaginative library of games.

In the last 2 gens, the strive for realistic and cinematic has become so prominent that it seems that there's no much room left for other art forms - in the AA/AAA department - (not including Nintendo) that deviates from the play-it-safe formula; for that I'm thankful that the Indie scene has made great efforts in recent years to provide us with new and fresh experiences.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

As a PS4 owner, I am very happy with the steady constant releases of awesome AAA games.

My Xbone collects dust and I use it as a Forza machine once a year.

I am extremely disappointed in Nintendo’s last 3 consoles as they suffer massive game droughts and have no games. It’s a barren wasteland.

I do wish there was more mid tier games like Saints Row. I love games like that.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7275 Posts

I see people constantly praising Nintendo for the switch but I still see nothing on there that would entice me to spend £280. I'm happy with what's available on PS4 and Xbox has gears 5 which I'm looking for this year.

What I want is an console exclusive action rpg on Xbox I'm hoping something similar in the fable type world.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pitty8982
@ajstyles said:

As a PS4 owner, I am very happy with the steady constant releases of awesome AAA games.

I am extremely disappointed in Nintendo’s last 3 consoles as they suffer massive game droughts and have no games. It’s a barren wasteland.

I do wish there was more mid tier games like Saints Row. I love games like that.

I also like Sony's approach in regards to exclusive games.

Generally speaking, for the industry as a whole, I lament a lack of risk and creativity, in the AA/AAA department, that was a constant presence and surprise with the older systems, prior to the 360/PS3 era.

I understand that the play-it-safe approach is necessary due to the extreme production costs, where you either sell or you risk going bankrupt, but I do miss all the fresh and new ideas that used to define past generations from decades ago, games like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Tombi, Ape Escape, Jak and Dexter, Sly Cooper the great games from Sega such as Shenmue and all the incredibly fun arcade-style games they created, the era where Nintendo kept churning out constantly new and innovative ideas that have now pretty much become rehashes or are presented in the form of remasters and remake. Even Halo from Microsoft brought something new to gaming.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

@pitty8982: I just played Portal 2 again, and remembered what a masterpiece it was....I'd rather see a sequel to that than another "AAA" graphical epic full of cutscenes and repetitive gameplay. I get more enjoyment out of games like Ori and Cuphead than big budget games like rdr2, and frankly I'm bored with open world find or fetch efforts.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I want more stealth games. Proper successor to Thief please

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@xantufrog: I get what you are saying. More pure stealth games.

But at the very least, most games today have stealth options which I am grateful for. That is enough for me personally.

Hopefully Assassins Creed or something can tide you over.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pitty8982
@sealionact said:

@pitty8982: I just played Portal 2 again, and remembered what a masterpiece it was....I'd rather see a sequel to that than another "AAA" graphical epic full of cutscenes and repetitive gameplay. I get more enjoyment out of games like Ori and Cuphead than big budget games like rdr2, and frankly I'm bored with open world find or fetch efforts.

Right, Portal 2 is another example of innovative and great. I'm also burned out of all these open world games with repetitive and vacuous gameplay.

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By avenger85
Member since 2015 • 304 Posts

I want more stealth games and more hack n slash games like ninja Gaiden or old schools God war games.

I want less open world and not every game needs a crafting system and a skill tree.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

Less open world zombie games for sure. Less deep, dark narratives and more arcade kind of fun.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9428 Posts

AAA devs are boring.

I want more mid-range budget experimental games.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@pyro1245 said:

AAA devs are boring.

Pretty much, can't think of a single good AAA game this generation.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

You really want to pay 60 bucks for an indie game?

Cause that's what you want AAA to do, make indie games.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1009 Posts

Game developers try to hard to mimic reality instead of making a fun game world. Games dont have to make sense, they dont have to follow real world logic. The push for realism has resulted in some boring game worlds that just isnt fun to play. As much as I like Sony first party, I would like to see them step outside their comfort zone and make a game out of left field like how Jumping Flash was. Also game music is just not what it used to be, it doesn't have to be overdramatic and cinematic, but just has to fit the scene and be memorable.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ant_17

@nfamouslegend: Did you play Gravity Rush 2?

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NfamousLegend

@Ant_17: yes and I thought it was fun.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ant_17

@nfamouslegend: So why are you saying they don't do different things?

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NfamousLegend

@Ant_17: one or two games is not a trend. I know its difficult because games that are different often don't sell well which is why developers play it safe with sequels. So anytime games like Nier or Gravity Rush do well it is good for gaming.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ant_17

@nfamouslegend: Trends changed. We are now in the gritty mature AAA trend.

I'm fine with that. We have more variety than we had 15 years ago. AAA is now a genre, not just a budget. Stardew Valley isn't AAA but it does AAA trends.

Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Metroid_Other_M
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts
@pyro1245 said:

AAA devs are boring.

This, though I do enjoy some AAA games, still it feels like once you've played one you've played them all, especially in the open world genere.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pitty8982
@Ant_17 said:

You really want to pay 60 bucks for an indie game?

Cause that's what you want AAA to do, make indie games.

No, well, I don't want AAA to make indie games, I'm merely talking about types of games I'd wish to see more often other than realistic, gritty, open world games. If you have devs (that isn't Nintendo) churn out more games that span different themes and approaches whilst keeping a top notch quality, it'd be great, but I understand this is the era where risk can lead to dire consequences.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3103 Posts

@Gatygun said:
@pyro1245 said:

AAA devs are boring.

This. And I want F2P and MTX to die.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44655 Posts

Too many open world games designed to pad games out this gen, not a fan at all. While I do like the occasional game of such design, I don't want all the games I play to be 40-100 hour experiences.

I also feel some games with competitive online have ignored PvE modes, mainly EA with Battlefield and Battlefront titles. Thankfully Titanfall had their Frontier Defense mode. But titles like Halo and Gears I get more out of them for their Warzone Firefight and Horde PvE modes than I do out of their PvP.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

You say it yourself somewhat, the AAA tier of games are pretty dead in the innovative department currently. But luckily we have pc and a very very thriving A/AA indie scene that keeps comings up with new and innovative games that after they have become a success will bleed over into the AAA development.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ant_17

@pitty8982: Ok. You want that. I get it.

Who isn't making these games? MS has Ori. Sony has VR Boy. Those aren't AAA? Ubisoft released Trials.

You don't want them to make other AAA, you want gritty open world games to be niche.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I don't buy games with micro transactions. I also have select taste in games. I also don't play multiplayer. So I'm probably only interested in less then 1% of the games out there. Borderlands 3 look cool but it has micro transactions so I'm gonna have to pass on it. The only future games I'm interested in are Ghosts of Tsushima Cyberpunk and Metroid Prime 4. I don't get excited for many games even if I think it looks good. I'm not interested in a game unless I know for sure there are no micro transactions.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9890 Posts

More linear games with open gameplay. By open gameplay I mean that you have a lot of tools to approach encounters. More physics stuff. I wish AAA game in general tilted a bit more in the gameplay fun direction, over realism.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I'm good. Switch is a dream come true.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@jdc6305: why? Have played tons of single player games with mtx in them, but never felt the need at all to use it. As long as they keep it in their current form o honesty doesn’t mind.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@pitty8982: Micro-transaction filled, "we'll fix it post launch", open-world online games are going to cause the 2nd "Video Game Crash" to happen.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pitty8982
@Sushiglutton said:

More linear games with open gameplay. By open gameplay I mean that you have a lot of tools to approach encounters. More physics stuff. I wish AAA game in general tilted a bit more in the gameplay fun direction, over realism.

Dishonored comes to mind

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

@Gatygun said:
@pyro1245 said:

AAA devs are boring.

ok, I'll bite.

Name us some "good" games this generation then so we can see what they should look like according to your high standards.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

I just want games to be fun and not half ass the gameplay. Having a good story is great but it shouldn't come at the price of pushing the gameplay to the side. Also nothing wrong with a game being long or having lots of content but it doesn't need to be padded with filler in order to extend playtime.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pitty8982
@doomnukem3d said:

I just want games to be fun and not half ass the gameplay. Having a good story is great but it shouldn't come at the price of pushing the gameplay to the side. Also nothing wrong with a game being long or having lots of content but it doesn't need to be padded with filler in order to extend playtime.

Exactly, fun factor should be the priority

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Fun means nothing.

Pretty happy with the PC scene as for now. Loads of good games that offer a ton of gameplay.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@xantufrog: you might have already played it but the Styx games are very good stealth.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@Gatygun said:
@pyro1245 said:

AAA devs are boring.

came here to say there. i'd take ambitious but slightly broken games like Stalker of the latest polished but creatively devoid open world slog any day

EDIT: not agreeing about there not being a single good AAA game this generation.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts

@ajstyles said:

Lol, you try too hard.

Anyway...

@lamprey263 said:

Too many open world games designed to pad games out this gen, not a fan at all. While I do like the occasional game of such design, I don't want all the games I play to be 40-100 hour experiences.

Yes! I am so sick of open-world games... I'm so turned-off by them atm that even a game like Cyberpunk 2077 (which was easily my most anticipated game for most of the gen) has kind of fallen off my radar. And games like AC Odyssey, which I would usually be all over, doesn't interest me in the slightest.

As I've said before, as I get older I'm finding that I enjoy/crave smaller & tighter experiences that try new things and aren't a billion hours long (the example I've been using is that I got just as much enjoyment out of a 2-3 hour game like Inside as I did a 60+ hour game like RDR2 or Witcher 3).

So yeah, that is one of the main trends in gaming that I don't like. And the worst thing is that we're seeing games that were once more linear experiences, now being made into more of an open-world... and usually to the detriment of the game (I'm looking at you Metro Exodus!)

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

The indie/arcade scene is on fire right now, ive been a gamer my whole life and there is so much cool shit comming out its hard to keep up. Gaming industry is going strong right now,

tho I do think there are too many open world AAA games not taking any risks.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I’d like more online militaristic shooters with a Team Survival mode. Gen 6 was flooded with them on my Xbox and it was great. Now we pretty much have 4 games with varying sequels where they change the formula (I’m looking at you Battlefield games that turn into cops and robbers, WW1, and WW2 games) or change the mode with respawns.

8v8, small to medium maps, no respawns. Give me that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I hate how single player games are all just bloated and filled with chores for the player to do. (Looking at you RDR2) Gamers spewed all this “value” b.s. and now devs think filling games with mindless bullshit is valuable. Not only are the games easy and filled with cutscenes, now the game play is a bunch of,”go fetch this.” “Do this task every so often to keep this meter full.” “Grind XP for this skill tree.” I don’t understand how anyone finds any of that shit fun.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@goldenelementxl: Maybe you just don’t like RPGs? What you describe sounds like what I hate in gaming too and I concluded it’s the genre thats the culprit.

Isn’t RD an RPG?

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DoomNukem3D

@Sevenizz: I dont think RDR is an rpg, just a crappy Rockstar style open world game. While GoldenElementalXL described a lot of RPGs there's also plenty that cant be described that way. I think it's more ro do with modern trends in gaming especially open world games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56343 Posts

To me, I really don't complain that much for this gen. This gen has been very interesting and good for me at least. I been really enjoying most if all single player/open-world games this gen has to offer and I do want to see more developers continuing delivering more single player game content. Witcher 3, Watch Dogs, Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Dying Light, you name it. I love open-world games and not saying I didn't enjoy MP games, but I had my fair share of good/bad MP games only.

I do however wanna see more new IP games if all possible, I don't mind sequels after sequels but most of the times, developers will run out of ideas but at least God of War 4 prove it there's room for improvements.

@goldenelementxl said:

I hate how single player games are all just bloated and filled with chores for the player to do. (Looking at you RDR2) Gamers spewed all this “value” b.s. and now devs think filling games with mindless bullshit is valuable. Not only are the games easy and filled with cutscenes, now the game play is a bunch of,”go fetch this.” “Do this task every so often to keep this meter full.” “Grind XP for this skill tree.” I don’t understand how anyone finds any of that shit fun.

Dude, I been gaming since 1993, gaming is my passion and I'm never tired of those types of games you describe. When I play a Sony game, single player, open-world games, I don't think about complaining until I have experience it for myself to pass judgment. If all you gonna do is bitch like that, then maybe you need to stop gaming or better yet, take a nice long vacation from gaming and when you get the urge for gaming, I bet you won't complain anymore.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23979 Posts

An interesting gen. Exclusives are far rarer than they used to be. AAA games are getting more and more forgettable while the indie scene is thriving. Only AAA game I have played in a while is FF14 and Nintendo First Party.

I would argue that I enjoyed this gen more than the 7th gen, despite only owning a switch and gaming PC (no interest in Xbox or PS4). Thanks to the dominant indie scene.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DoomNukem3D

@davillain-: You're bitching about another guy bitching. I really dont see a problem with complaining about games being padded with boring fetchquests and busy work.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DoomNukem3D

@Gatygun: What do you mean by fun means nothing?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44238 Posts

The new games not so much but I do love a few things about this gen >>> previous gens.

X1X is awesome and all the X1X enhanced BC and GP games plus the 4 free ( with XBLG sub :P ) games a month.

I have spent so little money this gen on games compared to previous gens I almost, almost mind you, feel guilty. lol

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56343 Posts

@doomnukem3d said:

@davillain-: You're bitching about another guy bitching. I really dont see a problem with complaining about games being padded with boring fetchquests and busy work.

GoldenElementXL always whines about stuff like this.