SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45056 Posts

Never really got into this franchise until now. I'm almost done, having just reached the last section in Shenmue 2. I can see how this game is considered one of the great games of all time. And that's beside the technical aspects of it. I really enjoy the story and the storytelling as well as certain aspects of the game that are unique even by today's standards. Certain segments have their own gameplay design to them, which you can see in a game like Nier, where not every section is the same thing. Or the type of realism that games like Red Dead 2 have, where the focus is on the details. The cut scenes are cinematic and unique in their own, which people now today may call a movie style game. So yea, I like Shenmue, and I look forward to the third game. How about you, SW? Are you a Shenmue fan or not really?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I finished the first game back in November and it was pretty good. Have yet to play more than 1 hour of Shenmue 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Played the dreamcast versions this year. love them.(If possible I will get Shenmue 3 at launch)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

Loved them back in the DC / OG Xbox days but I'm suspect on this new one funded by kickstarter and since these days there are so many great lively huge open world games to compete with. We'll see.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Wait, who says Shenume 2 is one of the greatest game’s of all time? I’ve heard the exact opposite. I’ve seen plenty of videos on YouTube saying it’s horrible and it’s one of gaming’s biggest budget bombs.

https://youtu.be/3IsMVQdEn1k

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Been there and played those on the Dreamcast and again on the X. I hope 3 turns out to be good, but I have my doubts because if they try an "modernize" the game they will kill it.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

It was a technical marvel at the time, semi open world, activities to do that didn't involve progressing through the game, dynamic weather, npc characters with schedules, etc..

I don't think the game holds up well today, the game is really slow and the combat was few and far between.

But it gave birth to the Yakuza Franchise so it's all good. If you're looking for the definitive Shenmue Experience play Yakuza 0

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

Tries it for the first time but didn't really like it, the whole "waiting thing", was... not fun?

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dark_drag765  Online
Member since 2005 • 1041 Posts

I want to be, mainly because Adam Koralik is such a fan and has a magnetic personality. I bought it on pan but have not found the time to play it.

Games get good word of mouth so it would be cool to see what the fuss is all about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I've never liked it. In fact, if I would make a list of my top 10 biggest disappointments ever in gaming, it would probably make the list.

I remember getting really hyped for the game when it was first released on the Dreamcast and then being really bored when I actually played it. And my dislike for the game has now grown since I can now look back and see how it was a big influence in the rise in popularity of QTEs and the movie-games that are now currently plaguing the industry.

BlueIon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 BlueIon
Member since 2018 • 120 Posts

Someone already said it, but the waiting in that game made me give up on it. No ability to time-skip was what I had a problem with...I ended up spending hours looking at my virtual “watch” waiting for time to pass by! However I can see why the game was a big deal, I just feel it did not age so well.

Basically if you have time to prepare a meal, eat it, and then have dessert ? and you are still waiting for time to pass by for that “quest” to trigger something is wrong IMO lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

For waiting stuff it was pretty easy for me:

1.I did other activities like exploring and spending Ryu's money on action figures.

2.or I would go into inventory and rest my eyes a little and let the game time passes by.

For Shenmue 2 they added a time skip ability which made it better.

As for QTEs, I liked them because the main game was about exploration and other stuff were mini games.(And chase QTEs in Shenmue are far better than the boring running chases of games like Sleeping Dogs)

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I loved the games on DC. I bought the "remasters" and the game hasnt aged well at all. Ill still buy the next game though, even if the game ends up being shit; Lan DI must pay.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

They are ok except waiting thing.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic

@dorog1995: Yea, I did similar things. I played at the arcade or went to the dojo to practice fighting.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I love it and that is why I back $350 or something like that for Shenmue 3

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

One of my favourite franchises. It's gentle at times, and at times you have to do a bit of waiting, but the story, setting, music and world just made it very special for me. If only yakuza was more like this than that. I think a more action orientated shenmue would have been great.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm a big fan. I had my Dreamcast copies up until the remasters were announced. I've nearly completed both games again. I backed the third for $100 on Kickstarter and then $13 on the slacker backer PayPal for the digital soundtrack.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Absolutely. I think what Shenmue does better than any series is put you into the role of the character, and all that infamous "waiting" enhances that aspect. Like what would you do in 1987 if you were an 18 year old martial artist and had to wait for a shop to open? I'd probably be just like Ryo and spend my time training or hanging out in the Yu Suzuki arcade and at the recreational room at my job too. I also love how the game teaches martial arts in a realistic manner, as they never tell you the button combination for any move until after you properly perform it once, so you have to pay attention and actually listen to the instructor. Then if you want to master said move, you have to put in the time and practice, whether it's at the home dojo, a parking lot, or sneaking in some in one of the warehouses at work.

Shenmue taught me that not all games have to be action packed from start to finish, and that there can be value found in patience. So when a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 does something similar, such as having detailed animations for every action, I can both appreciate and find enjoyment in it. You don't have to limit yourself to only one type of gaming experience, so I can have fun blazing through something adrenaline pumping like F-Zero GX, just as much as I can by simply taking in the scenery in Guilin with this music playing in the background.

Loading Video...

And yeah, I can't wait to see what happens next in Shenmue III either.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: great post man

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I thought I was until I didn't get the recent collection.

I must buy it. Shame on me.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3477 Posts

I bought Shenmue HD on the day it came out. I must say, I like it, but the graphics and gameplay were something I wasn't accustomed to, having not played any Gen 1-6 games in over a decade.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic
@xantufrog said:

@Renegade_Fury: great post man

Yea, you really nailed it.

Bilic42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bilic42
Member since 2019 • 14 Posts

Part 2 was much more action based than part 1.

I love both but definitely can see why people hated the first one.

Nobody in town lifts a finger to help u or answer your questions!!!

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

I played both games back in the Dreamcast days and loved them. I thought they were great and something new and fresh. The world sucked me in, they are definitely very memorable games in my book.

I haven't had any desire to play the new releases. I may be wrong but I think they would ruin the nostalgia I have for them. I will just let them be and keep the my good memories I have of the two games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19511 Posts

Been a fan since the Dreamcast.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Shenmues are far better than Yakuza games ever were.

Those vending machines and their awesome collectables! Making big bucks by clever betting meant you never had to work much to collect money for stuff...

Exploration pays off too, as you never know where you might find a person who has something interesting to say to you.

Also, the level of detail in those games is still impressive.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

Played the original on Dreamcast in 2000, and looking forward to part 3.