Are you a person that tries only known titles or you just play any game you're intrested in and give it a chance?

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Poll Are you a person that tries only known titles or you just play any game you're intrested in and give it a chance? (52 votes)

Known titles 8%
Any game intresting 92%

Back then i used to only play known titles especially in the PS3 era, God of War, Assasins Creed, The Last of Us, Uncharted... etc. Granted it was for me wanting to have the best experience with a combination of not having enough time to try everything.

Today, i kinda still do the same thing, but i give new games a chance, if it is intresting enough, and i have a feeling it could not be a lose of money, i buy that game.

How about you SW?

• 
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

I will play any game that looks interesting regardless if it is a known IP, popular, or if it got good reviews or not. Ultimately, each person knows what they like to play better than anyone else.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 485 Posts

If it looks interesting to me, I will play it, regardless of what anyone thinks. I don't usually follow anyone else or trends for that matter. It doesn't mean I don't like some popular or hyped games though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Any game that looks interesting I guess although there’s a ton of known games and IP’s that I love so it’s difficult to really try much in the lesser known category.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Any game. I won't spend money on something with bad reviews, but I have no qualms trying new and different genres/games.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Always just played whatever interests me, end up finding a lot of gems that way. As far back as the NES, have those relatively unknown titles that I greatly enjoyed.

Think it's especially important to be that way these days given how the industry curates the latest games. Heavily guided by marketing $$$ above all other criteria. Maybe a lesser known title gets exposure from some streamer/youtuber which is nice. Then sites like these scramble to catch up lol.

But if you stick with the very predictable flavor of the month, miss out on some really cool games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I pretty much only play independent and smaller titles these days. Relatively unknown by the folks that play COD, Madden, whatever "soulsborne" type game is popular, and mainstream stuff like that.

I will dabble with AAA, but it's a hard sell for me to really enjoy a major title these days. They're so, so, so disappointing.

Also my tastes have changed, and AAA studios just don't really make the games I'm interested in. Let me know when EA makes a good SimCity game or Ubisoft makes a cool sandboxy factory-building game, then I might be interested.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

If I am interested, I play. Most of the popular games have a tendency to under deliver.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

I will try out any game that I have a strong interest, even if I have never heard of it before. Whether a game is popular or scored well by reviewers or gamers, my interest in a game is not affected by those factors.

However, since gaming now takes less importance to other things in my life, I would more likely play two to three games a year.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

I started going down an indie rabbit hole after I played Hades...not that I think that game is obscure by any means. But, it definitely affected the kinds of games that I play and what I'm looking for in a satisfying gaming experience.

I still play big titles, but I'm much pickier with the ones I do play.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I'm a PC gamer, an enthusiast gamer, so obviously the answer is...Any game interest!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'll definitely try whatever looks interesting, especially if its on Gamepass.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I only play games that are heavily marketed (50M+ in marketing budget), and extremely spammed across all social medias. This is what i believe every real gamer should be doing instead of playing niche shovelware from steam, which is all Maroxad does as of late.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GhostOfGolden  Online
Member since 2023 • 2436 Posts

l’ve definitely found my niche in gaming and stuck with that formula. Competitive, time/score attack games. BRs. Music/rhythm games and whatever TFT is (for some reason. I still don’t know why I like that game) And anything with Mario or Sonic in it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

I tend to be pretty open minded. I'll give many IPs and game types a shot. I found some nice gems that way and have also been disappointed but, sure, keeps it interesting.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I'll play just about anything at least once.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15995 Posts

I play whatever looks cool to me. Right now I'm playing Forager; it's a simulation game like Harvest Moon or Story of Seasons. It's an indie game, so there is no marketing behind it. I found it on GamePass and thought I'd give it a shot. I'm glad I did, 'cause it's a brilliant game!

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 284 Posts

I could Play anything as long as it's not hot garbage

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Little of this, little of that. I try to stay away from games that become the kinds of games that are the only games people play at the exclusion of all else, don't need that in my life.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Any and all games that may or may not have intrigue me. The brand name, metascore, the sales number, the player count don't mean shit to me. Gamers have the worst fucking taste in their own art form, out of any fucking fanbase of any medium ever. Yah can't be trusted.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

As a kid, I try anything or look at the game box cover and give my judgement.

Now I rely on reviews and play known titles I have missed out on.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58939 Posts

Nowadays tend to just do my backlog as just bought a ton of shit never actually played.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#22  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@masterkiller103:

Any. That's how I learned about games like Hyperdimension Neptunia, Blue Reflections, Disaster Report 4 and Atelier jrpgs. Some of the most obscure are also the most creative.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#23  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I play a wide range of games; from big AAAs to obscure indies. I doubt many of you have even heard of Starpoint Gemini 2, Venetica, or Dust: An Elysian Tail.

But it's not like I just buy any old game, especially these days with my massive, hopeless backlog. I research every purchase carefully. I picked these games because I thought they were up my alley.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I play over 100 games a year (on a slow year) so I am really into indies and just about any little weird thing I come across. PC gamepass is REALLY good for that.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

Any game that looks interesting, right now i wish they made more games like Commandos or Hidden and dangerous

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I don't really care much about indie games.. I feel like indie games today are trying to replicate what games were like 30 years ago lol. It's like they're trying to market to nostalgists.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I pick any game that interests me. I do some research on the game. Then if it looks good enough I buy it.

In fact, well known big name AAA games interest me less and less as time moves on. Pretty much the only AAA games I buy these days are from Nintendo and Sega.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Did you expect people to admit they don’t try unknown games?

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Did you expect people to admit they don’t try unknown games?

That used to be the way back then though, don't you think?

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

Any game that looks interesting. I play most genres except walking simulators and puzzle-heavy games. I watch some gameplay videoes and reviews and decide if I will buy the game. Heavily discounted games are more attractive to try out of course. I discovered unknown gems such as Hands of Fate 2 and For the King this way.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

If I hear a game is good, I'll play it, I don't need to stick to known brands.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

OP, you probably should have framed the question differently, but good topic nonetheless.

I play anything. I like to take the random recommendation from online and have found some surprising gems I normally would not have been exposed to.