Are Xbox gamers disappointed with the lack of good JRPG's on the system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45055 Posts

Nier: Automata, Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, and now Dragon Quest 11.. all on PS4 and PC, but not Xbox. How can that be, SW? I'm sure they could sell a decent amount on the system. Xbox gamers, are you disappointed with the lack of good JRPG's on the system?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

For me personally, it doesn't bother me because I'm not really a fan of those types of games.

But in general, the more types of games available on a console, the better.

But I don't think this will ever change since Japanese devs will always favour the Japanese console manufacturers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

MS got behind JRPGs at the beginning of last gen with guff like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. But I guess they just didn’t do well enough for MS to bother with again.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: So Dark Souls, Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter are not GOOD rpg's only the mostly niche ones you mentioned???

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

As a JRPG fan... Gonna be honest, there really aren't enough really great ones being made these days. I would love to play Ni No Kuni 2 and Persona 5 if I could, as well as Gravity Rush 2 and other games.....but I really don't think modern JRPGs have the pull they once had. And I'm honestly not as excited for them as I am many Western RPGs nowadays.

Still hold a deep fondness for JRPGs, am sure many more great ones will be made in the future. But I think a lot of modern games mix rpg elements in with other kinds of gameplay to create something more unique than a traditional JRPG, and there's a lot of competition to Japanese devs from indie devs and big publishers alike.

Main point: I have plenty of other great games on XBO, so I'm fine.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

Thing is, they don't sell very well on PS4 (Only Persona 5 sold over 1M copies as far as I know) - and that's despite JPRG's strongest fanbase being in Japan, which is Sony's home country. They do even worse on a console that simply isn't supported in Japan. I get that people like them, and I understand the appeal .... but speaking personally I can't stand them. Whether it's the manga stylings, the text bubbles ("Prepare! I attack you, and you will falter!), the hitpoint gameplay or a combination .... No. Don't miss them.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic

@i_p_daily: that's fair, but I was thinking more along the lines of traditional JRPG franchises, and the games I listed aren't really niche. They may not be blockbuster hits, but they are still pretty popular for the genre.

@sealionact: Persona 5 was at least 2 million.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sealionact

@SolidGame_basic: 2 million is a good figure, but my point stands. Around half of those sales were in Japan, where jprgs sell best. It didn't appeal to the vast majority of PS4 owners - of which I'm one - in the US, which is where Xbox sells most of its games. Whenever Xbox has had jrpgs, they just haven't appealled for whatever reason, which is why they don't appear as often.

Avatar image for codenamedutchez
codenamedutchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By codenamedutchez
Member since 2016 • 24 Posts

Definitely disappointed a bit about this...I still have Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon to play thanks to backwards compatibility at least. And they recently added Romancing Saga 2...but yeah holding out hope for these big titles to port over one day. Hell, No Mans Sky is making the leap to Xbox, so who knows?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic

@sealionact said:

@SolidGame_basic: 2 million is a good figure, but my point stands. Around half of those sales were in Japan, where jprgs sell best. It didn't appeal to the vast majority of PS4 owners - of which I'm one - in the US, which is where Xbox sells most of its games. Whenever Xbox has had jrpgs, they just haven't appealled for whatever reason, which is why they don't appear as often.

But why do the sales matter in whether or not you would enjoy the game?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@codenamedutchez said:

Definitely disappointed a bit about this...I still have Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon to play thanks to backwards compatibility at least. And they recently added Romancing Saga 2...but yeah holding out hope for these big titles to port over one day. Hell, No Mans Sky is making the leap to Xbox, so who knows?

Why isn't vesperia bc?

Avatar image for codenamedutchez
codenamedutchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 codenamedutchez
Member since 2016 • 24 Posts

@Random_Matt: Man, good question. I know to add a game to backwards compatibility program it is up to the developer. Maybe they feel it’s just not worth the effort.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Ys Origin coming to Xbox

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44021 Posts

@cainetao11 has been begging for a new Tales of Ballbagia but other than him, I just don't see much hype for'em. lololololol :P

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: weathwr you enjoy a game or not , there wouldnt be a part two to that game if it doesn't sell well. So yes... sales very much matter.

Its 10 million plus type of sales that dont matter

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19505 Posts

There probably aren't that many JRPG fans left on Xbox. Most have either gave up on the genre, or jumped ship to Sony/Nintendo/PC.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#17 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

Not really. There are various other titles I would take from the PS4 though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

Well I do also have a Switch and will get a PS4 eventually so I’ll still get to play those games however I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing some more of those JRPGs making their way onto the Xbox One as it is my preferred platform.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

The lack of JRPG's is part of the reason I went with Xbox to begin with.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24894 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

The lack of JRPG's is part of the reason I went with Xbox to begin with.

my friend you are right.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Lems hate JRPG's. Guess they got something against GOTY nominees lol

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sealionact

@SolidGame_basic: They don't. Personally. I loved Ori and the blind forest, yet it didn't storm the charts for example.

My point was if especially trad jrpgs don't sell well on the PS4 - where they will do better given the strength of the PS4 in Japan where the genre does sell well - then they will do a lot worse on the Xbox.

Just trying to answer your question - it's not an attack on jrpgs or PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I bought a 360 back in the day (actually three 360's) specifically because I wanted to play blue dragon and lost odyssey. I'm the type that has to have strong narratives in movies/games/shows other wise I loose interest.

Microsoft knows that a market exists for it. They wouldn't have tried to make Scalebound it they didn't. I just think it's easier to make profits off of DLC and microtransactions off of sequel after sequel rather than endorse a game that most likely doesn't have multiplayer, and won't have the numbers as COD#15.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Considering I hate JRPGs, no.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

“Are Xbox gamers disappointed with the lack of good JRPG's on the system?”

NO !

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

First and foremost, to be disappointed by having a lack of certain games, you need to actually be a gamer!

The answer to the question your question TC can actually be answered by asking another much more important question:

"Are xbox fanatics on here actual gamers?"

@raugutcon said:

“Are Xbox gamers disappointed with the lack of good JRPG's on the system?”

NO !

There is your answer!

Your question and my question are actually one in the same because no gamer would give a no response for a system that is clearly lacking in this area.

No gamer would be satisfied with less games from one of the most influential sectors in gaming.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50541 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@cainetao11 has been begging for a new Tales of Ballbagia but other than him, I just don't see much hype for'em. lololololol :P

Wtf are you talking about? I only ever see him talking about Ballbagia Fantasy 16.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sealionact

@tgob89: A gamer that has little interest in jrpgs would give a no response. Or are you suggesting that people who don't show an affinity for jrpgs are not gamers?

It's a no from me too, and I've been gaming since pong.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

They are probably disappointed in the lack of good games in general.. flops everywhere

Medicinal420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Medicinal420
Member since 2018 • 30 Posts

JRPGs disgust me

I'd do naughty things to someone if they brought Nocturne to PS4 thouh

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

As there is a massive drought of nearly every genre on Xbox I imagine lems would jump all over literally any type of game at this point. Some of them were even bigging up Sea of Thieves, lolz!

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@sealionact said:

@tgob89: A gamer that has little interest in jrpgs would give a no response. Or are you suggesting that people who don't show an affinity for jrpgs are not gamers?

It's a no from me too, and I've been gaming since pong.

lol the fact that you don't realize the breath and depth of what a JRPG can encompass proves you aren't much of a gamer.

You have absolutely NO idea of what direction any JRPG may take because the field of vision of that genre is just that deep.

Bloodborne, Persona 5, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Ni No Kuni 2, and for kicks (1 that xbox fans can finally play) Monster Hunter World.

Now tell me, what do these 5 high rated JRPG's have in common besides being from Japan? Tell me...

Same character types? Same tone? same design? same battle systems? Enlighten me!

Hmm....I'm interested to hear your breakdown of what "JRPG's" are supposed to be lol.

The ignorance of xbox fanboys statements trying to generalize Japanese games is truly astounding but then again, you'd have to be a gamer to realize how foolish your remarks are.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I am not a fan of JRPG's but it is something I am sure other gamers would enjoy.

I really do wish MS would try harder in the games department....they could have such a great lineup of exclusives

Lost Oddessy

Blue Dragon

Kameo

Conker

Halo

Gears

Forza

Project Gotham

Brute Force...remember that one?

That on top of new IP's? Come on MS!

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sealionact

@tgob89: I see I hit a nerve. Let's see, aren't they all 3rd person games where you run around with a sword (mostly impossibly oversized) killing creatures?

I think most knowledgeable gamers would struggle to call Bloodborne a jrpg....which probably explains why you do.

Do try and calm down though, the author asked Xbox owners if we miss jrpgs on the console, not PS4 owners to abuse Xbox owners if they say they don't.....

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#35 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Nah weeb games are mostly overrated. If we wanted them we’d be on Playstation.

The cringeworthy dialogue, weirdo mondo Japanese colloquialisms and the thirsty sexism are repellent to my tastes.

I’m mad I bought MHW it’s annoyingly Japanese in all the right ways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@SolidGame_basic said:

@i_p_daily: that's fair, but I was thinking more along the lines of traditional JRPG franchises, and the games I listed aren't really niche. They may not be blockbuster hits, but they are still pretty popular for the genre.

So by traditional are we talking turn based games? as that's what I call traditional RPG's, so games like Monster Hunter, Bloodbourne, Dark Souls, Neir etc are not traditional to me and honestly I see them as hack n slash games.

I would love to see more traditional RPG's on Xbox, and as you can see a lot of my fellow Xbox gamers don't care for them which is fine each to their own, but we are all not to be painted by the same brush.

In general traditional RPG's are niche, yes one game (Persona) has sold well this gen (which was also on PS3) but mostly they don't sell well which is why we call them niche, nothing wrong with niche, it doesn't mean the games are any worse then games that sell 10x the amount, just that these games are not mainstream.

I know a lot of people will look at my comment and say what the **** would I know about traditional RPG's, and to that I say I've played a lot in my 30yrs in gaming from the Phantasy Star series, Shining Force series, Mystaria, Grandia, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy to my personal favourite Skies of Arcadia, so I know a fair bit about them.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1845 Posts

Lemmings where hyping the shit out of Monster Hunter World, now they don't care for JRPGs or Japanese games. LOL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@tgob89: The Legend of Zelda isn't a JRPG. :P

I wouldn't really call Bloodborne a JRPG either.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

I think Xbox gamers are disappointed they have an Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

this is why i went ps4 and now my xbox one is in my closet

the ps4 just plays games better than xbox one and has the japanese games i need ike kingdom hearts 1.5 and final fantasy x remastered

**** the xbox its in my closet where it belongs sea of trash they can keep that shit to themselves

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

this is why i went ps4 and now my xbox one is in my closet

the ps4 just plays games better than xbox one and has the japanese games i need ike kingdom hearts 1.5 and final fantasy x remastered

**** the xbox its in my closet where it belongs sea of trash they can keep that shit to themselves

You should trade it in. I did. Chunky pile of crap.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44021 Posts

@Chutebox:

Huih, What chu talkin bout willis? Ballbagia Fantasy 16 launched 2016 though the ballbagia flopped big time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@uninspiredcup said:

I think Xbox gamers are disappointed they have an Xbox.

I see thinking is not your strong suit :(