Are WW2 shooters going to come back strong?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

With CoDww2 being announced and all. Are the days of the early 00's to mid 00's coming back? Will we even see f2p WW2 shooters on PC? Is the next BF game going to be WW2?

I want your opinion SW.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Battlefield bout to take it to Iraq. Generation Kill up in this beast! Godfather bout to get us back in the game.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

WW2 won't be the same without monster closets

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

There's been a few WW2 shooters on the pc, they just tend to not get media attention.

As far as SP is concerned? Na, I don't think so.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Jebus213 said:

With CoDww2 being announced and all. Are the days of the early 00's to mid 00's coming back? Will we even see f2p WW2 shooters on PC? Is the next BF game going to be WW2?

I want your opinion SW.

Dude..WW2 fps games on the PC never stopped being a thing. Hero's and generals is a F2P WW2 game on the PC that has been out for YEARS.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I've played enough WW2 shooters to never need to play another one again

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

After playing plenty of WW2 shooters when I was a teenager- Medal of Honor Frontline and Rising Sun, COD, Finest Hour, 2, 3, World at War, Brothers in Arms

and now having had a break for close to 10 years, playing other shooters with more sci-fi, zombie outbreak, or futuristic themes

I'd say a return to WW2 doesn't sound too bad. I don't think it's going to mean we get a ton of WW2 shooters, it would just bring some more balance. We're still getting Fallout, Doom, Titanfall, Overwatch, Battlefront, etc. That's actually about as balanced as you can get in terms of FPS settings.

Being older now, I would actually appreciate more true stories in these WW2 games. Educate me a little, without it feeling like I'm just reading a book. Now that the tech is better, really use it to simulate some of those brutal battles, no added flashiness needed.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No.

CoD is not going back to World War 2 because of Battlefield 1. They are going back to World War 2 because the last three games have all been met with the same criticism that the series has strayed way to far from its root. Modern, near-future, or future settings for war games naturally bring an expectation for gadgets and tech that simply make a game impossible to balance right and ruin the flow of combat. This is the same kind of complaint that Battlefield had before we got BF1.

A setting changes gives them the excuse to pull out the gadgets and tech (like missile lock ons) that are just unfun mehcanics within the context of the Battlefield and CoD series. Going back to the past gives them a nice stark contrast from their last few games which all were blurring together (Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 3, Infinite Warfare and BF3, Hardline, BF4).

A game like CoD WWII has probably been in strong development for over a year and a half, well before BF1 was truly known. Thus I don't think it's a trend as much as a coincidence.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I hope not.

MOH, MOH UnderGround, MOH Allied Assault, MOH Rising Sun, MOH Frontline, COD, COD2, COD3, COD WaW, and 2 MOH for PC, those are what I played a lot so you can say I've had enough WW2 shooters.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Just give me a Hidden & Dangerous 3 style WW2 game and they can keep all the popamole

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Certainly not with CoD.

What i'd like to see is a WWII open world game with rpg elements.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

I think so.

WW2 seems like.... "home base" for FPS developers (popularity and sales). Something they can do without being super creative, but can be well done and is a known seller. MOH... then we had a string of non-ww2 shooters... then COD took it back... then a string of non-ww2 shooters... then CODWOW.... then a string of non-ww2 shooters. Its never a topic for games that really dies, but it does seem to have its peak moments and they seem to repeat.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Probably but I wish they'd hadn't. Old guns fucking suck

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@iandizion713 said:

Battlefield bout to take it to Iraq.

Nah. We already had that with the Desert Combat mod in BF1942 and Battlefield 2. Quite frankly, I'm not yet hungry for the return of WW2 and modern warfare in my FPS games.

BF1942 Desert Combat mod with the regular WW2 Tobruk map:

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24915 Posts

I hope not but on a plus point linear and scriptness would be more in WW2 games and less in other games like in early 00s.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I've said it before and I will say it again, there can be 100 more CoD that don't place in WWII and if the 101st game takes place in WWII, it would still be too soon.

The era. Has been. Tapped. Out.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#17 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

At the moment the prospect has me more interested than Infinite Warfare ever did. Might change once I see some content for this.

I think we'll see a couple games with a prior setting like this if it works out for Call of Duty. I don't know how BF1 did for EA but I'm guessing they'll continue on that front, too.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46241 Posts

I think so, yeah. People already seem to be going wild over the new Call of Duty, and there hasn't even been gameplay shown.

And though it is WW1, Battlefield 1 did really well too because people really appreciated the new setting.

I hope historical settings come back strong in the FPS genre, but I don't want a bunch of uninspired crap taking up space either, as that would drive people away again.

But let's not forget WW2 FPS never truly went away. I always liked games that did something special with the setting. Like Red Orchestra

Day of Infamy

And technically a WW2 TPS but I really like that game too: Sniper Elite:

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Is it weird that I'm still tired of the WW2 setting?

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts
@KungfuKitten said:

No. I feel the same way.

For me they've gone full circle and its time to put it out to pasture. I guess the appeal is theres a gen now that was too young to have played the originals so it will be fresh for them.

They should have done something really innovative and done the Civil War or Ancient.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I wouldn't mind.

I'm more interested in Steel Battalion. A return of WW2 RTS, now that would be the sight.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

I like some of the the guns but yeah most of them do suck brother.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Nah.

Bolt-action and lever-action is where it's at. Germans f*cking ruined it with machine guns. Just like they ruined aerial warfare with jet engines.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#24  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

CoD sucks. Make it in the year 1944 or 2044, it will always be the bro casual shooter. The only difference in the future people jump with no weight and no recoil lol... dumb noob games.

The only WW2 type game that would be good is a remake of the old Return to Castle Wolfenstein... man that would be sick if they do it right on console, no aim assist plz. Health, hip fire gameplay... the good old days.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#25 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Probably not. I think game publishers are starting to realise that if you release the same game every year, people are going to get bored, so they're changing things up a bit. I think we'll see COD go to another era entirely in 2018.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@oflow said:
@KungfuKitten said:

No. I feel the same way.

For me they've gone full circle and its time to put it out to pasture. I guess the appeal is theres a gen now that was too young to have played the originals so it will be fresh for them.

They should have done something really innovative and done the Civil War or Ancient.

Third this, the setting does nothing for me, unless the mechanics add up to an experience that's different from the rest of the things I've played. I'm willing to give Day of Infamy a spin, but Call of Duty? It's gonna be the same ol shit.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Now that CoD has gone back to WW2 setting, I am expecting EVERY freaking shooter to be WW2-themed as well. Just shows how incredibly un-original game developers can be. Just follow the market leader. Just watch, every shooter will be based on WW2 from this day onwards.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Nope.

I think all shooters that are not Overwatch are going to fail.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I wouldn't mind if the game accurately portrayed the night time uncertainty and confusion of jungle combat in the Pacific. Pitch black except when there are bursts of gunfire or flares. No GPS or minimap. No enemy/friendly tagging. No night vision/IR.

The darkest environments I've seen so far were in Metro Last Light and STALKER: Call of Pripyat. I want more.