Are we really expecting cyberpunk to be better than Deus Ex?

• 88 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts

Hello friends,

So heres this game has been talked alot in media, hype by journalist as best thing since slice bread and even lot of people comparing it to Deus Ex and think it make Deus Ex looks lame in comparision.

Original Deus Ex was classic game and no game surpassed it so far. it was best game ever made to this day after 18 years later. the level design is one of the best and it doesnot need teh open world, the story was excellent, it doesnot need some shitty romance/sex scenes and etc

here the most memorable dialouge of Deus Ex 1

and compare it to cyberpunk dialogues which full of F words and just so bland. this is what i called a mature dialogues. no F words involve and pure intellectual talk. warren spector is just a legend.

cyberpunk imo doesnot even looks like it can surpassed Deus Ex HR let alone original. just invisible wars imo

In Deus Ex. you can complete the whole game without killing anyone. in cyberpunk you have to kill 300 people to complete each mission which looks incredibly scripted.

now im not saying cyberpunk will be bad game. it will be decent at best that will praise as 11/10. apart form world and density, everything looks bland from driving to combat which remind me of borderlands.

so here it is my friends, do we really think cyberpunk can be better than deus ex? or Deus Ex reign supreme still? lets discuss

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

In story, dialogue, lore, worldbuilding? Who knows, we can't tell until it's out.

The original Deus Ex gameplay is not hard to surpass though. Great back then with lots of options, but it's a bit clunky by today's standards. Games like Dishonored generally surpassed the gameplay opportunities in Deus Ex, with more options, better level design, better AI - though notably with less RPG elements.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Yes.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yep.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@blueberry_bandit said:

In story, dialogue, lore, worldbuilding? Who knows, we can't tell until it's out.

The original Deus Ex gameplay is not hard to surpass though. Great back then with lots of options, but it's a bit clunky by today's standards. Games like Dishonored generally surpassed the gameplay opportunities in Deus Ex, with more options, better level design, better AI - though notably with less RPG elements.

what make deus ex classic is the level design and immersion. watching cyberpunk gameplay looks like im watching some GTA or watch dogs in first person with RPG elements. doesnot feel like i can be immersed in the world.

mature themes doesnot deal with nudity, sex and cursing. it deal with intellectual story and dialogues.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

what make deus ex classic is the level design and immersion. watching cyberpunk gameplay looks like im watching some GTA or watch dogs in first person with RPG elements. doesnot feel like i can be immersed in the world.

mature themes doesnot deal with nudity, sex and cursing. it deal with intellectual story and dialogues.

Modern games will always have much greater potential for immersion through gameplay. Cyberpunk would be more immersive by default. Being immersed in a game and immersed in a story are two different things.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Yes.

RIP Deus Ex.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

I agree but I do want to highlight something you said with a slight change to illustrate the condition of humanity at this point in history

mature themes doesnot deal with nudity, sex and cursing and violence. it deal with intellectual story and dialogues.

the most dangerous of them all left out of our collective understanding

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Wasn't feeling Cyberpunk, rather play a Dues Ex sequel.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@ghosts4ever: No, and it never will be.

CDPR is not a very good developer that the cult like following make them out to be.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I still have 2 CDs of the original Deus Ex that came bundled with video cards I bought. Call me an oddball. But, I'm one of the PC gamers who was not interested in it (same with Blizzard games). It's not for lack of trying. I simply chose to play other games over it because it didn't interest me that much. I have the same feeling with System Shock 2. There's something in those games that just doesn't click with me.

With CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077? It's a wild card. There's a chance I'm not going to like it. But, I said the same thing about the Bethesda Fallout games. I never played any of the three Bethesda games ever until last year and I couldn't believe how wrong I was in not playing them. So, chances are high I'm going to buy Cyberpunk 2077.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uninspiredcup
@Jacanuk said:

CDPR is not a very good developer that the cult like following make them out to be.

This be truth.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

exactly. it feel like some brighty sunny watch dogs in first person. deus ex has pure cyberpunk feel, robots, mechs, giant corporation conspiracies etc.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

Deus Ex 1 is a horribly aged, ugly looking game with shit mechanics. Only part of it that even remotely stands the test of time is breadth of options.

It wouldn't take much for any game to be better.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

exactly. it feel like some brighty sunny watch dogs in first person. deus ex has pure cyberpunk feel, robots, mechs, giant corporation conspiracies etc.

Oh I was walking about Human Revolution, aside from a shitty Christian Bale impression, it's a great game. Not that keen on 1/2.

From what little I played of the Shadowrun games, those were better than CDP as well.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Yes

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It will be a million times better than Deus Ex which is dated and ugly and each game in the series has got progressively worse. I know it will be better because like you I haven't played a single second of it yet I somehow know all about it and like you I am simply talking out my ass to make one game sound better than the other with absolutely no basis whatsoever in fact.

It is fitting you make a thread about Deus Ex which gets worse all the time because your threads are the same just when we think they can't get any worse you always manage to pull it off.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Yes, it will be better. It comes after Deus Ex so it will better game than the previous games.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Will it be better than Dues Ex? Impossible for me to tell at this point. Only one is released, and it released 18 years ago. While it was great upon release, it has not held up well.

Do I expect it t be better? I do. A game releasing in the future, should grow on the ideas of what a game was doing 18 years ago.

Do I hope it is better? I truly do. Like I said before, Dues Ex was a great game upon release, I want more great games so I always hope a newer game surpasses the older ones.

I guess I don't understand why anyone wants it to not be better than Dues Ex. If it is, that means we get a truly kick-ass game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Extremely dated game; all signs points to yes from what I've seen so far. You're definitely in the minority who thinks otherwise...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

The game isn't out yet people on both sides are proclaiming shit. Yous gots tos loves its.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

I don't know. I've never finished Deus Ex 1 since it didn't interest me.Thought it was the graphics then I tried the third one that also failed to interest me.(Not saying that the game is bad it is just not for me)

And since Deus Ex failed to impress me Cyberpunk doesn't have any chance to do it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever

@dagubot said:

Extremely dated game; all signs points to yes from what I've seen so far. You're definitely in the minority who thinks otherwise...

but cyberpunk is not even look better than human revolution.

deus ex is based on creative level design while cyberpunk is just another open world game.

deus ex has intellectual story while cyberpunk has edgy dialouges with f words and nudity/romance like CDPR waste insane amount of budget into this when their games lack solid gameplay mechanics.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@dagubot said:

deus ex is based on creative level design while cyberpunk is just another open world game.

deus ex has intellectual story while cyberpunk has edgy dialouges with f words and nudity/romance like CDPR waste insane amount of budget into this when their games lack solid gameplay mechanics.

Thats a whole lot of conjecture.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Um, you do realize they are way past cult status, right?

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Is water wet?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@dagubot said:

Okay, I understand that and I'll talk to you without busting your balls. Do you know what an opinion is? You know that right? So I understand YOUR opinion of the game but don't pass it off as facts. All previous Dues Ex titles have been released, patched, updated, played from start to finish, etc. People can form their opinions of the game in it's completed state. You followed me up to here? Now we've seen a 48 minute gameplay video of Cyberpunk 2077 which is in pre-alpha stage. Still has more work to be done on the game, now obviously the core gameplay for the most part isn't going to change and what you're not liking is nudity/romance and the dialogue. You should wait until the game is out and then play and see what you think. You're talking about Dues Ex having an intellectual story when you haven't even played through or know what the story even is in Cyberpunk; do you see how dense you sound?

It's fine to comment on the video and give your thoughts in terms of what we're actually seeing; and this goes for any game but you take it one step further and just start to bash on the game for stuff we don't even know about. And this is why people call you bias.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I love Deus Ex and I will probably love Cyberpunk. I know it’s baffling that someone could like multiple games, but here I am.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@stuff238 said:

I love Deus Ex and I will probably love Cyberpunk. I know it’s baffling that someone could like multiple games, but here I am.

yeah it can happen. The Forest and Green Hell, yes we are allowed to like both.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jacanuk

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Jacanuk said:

What makes you think they are past cult status?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DragonfireXZ95
@Jacanuk said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Jacanuk said:

"A cult film or cult movie, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a cult following. Cult films are known for their dedicated, passionate fanbase, an elaborate subculture that engage in repeated viewings, quoting dialogue, and audience participation. Inclusive definitions allow for major studio productions, especially box office bombs, while exclusive definitions focus more on obscure, transgressive films shunned by the mainstream. The difficulty in defining the term and subjectivity of what qualifies as a cult film mirror classificatory disputes about art. The term cult film itself was first used in the 1970s to describe the culture that surrounded underground films and midnight movies, though cult was in common use in film analysis for decades prior to that."

If we go by the same definition as a movie, The Witcher 3 is 1. Celebrated in the mainstream, and 2. It wasn't, initally or ever, a bomb in sales or ratings.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I didn't realize this was a thing before this thread.

I also don't understand what your problem is with this game. Seems like someone who likes Deus Ex would probably be exactly the individual who would be interested in this. By contrast, if you don't like Deus Ex, you probably won't like this.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

I'm sorry, there's nothing the original Deus Ex is immersing me in but chunky Voodoo card graphics. It's time to get over it, man.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#35 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It looks much better than new Deus ex games so far. Might be as good as original Deus Ex if not better. Time will tell.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium: maybe mankind divided but not human revolution.

Also adam jensen >>>>>>>>> V a customize character with terrible voice acting.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

Why not? Deus Ex was an excellent game and a classic, but let's relax a little. In terms of the new Deus Ex, it isn't much of a competition, and I feel that CDPR build excellent worlds with pretty intricate stories.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jacanuk

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Jacanuk said:

"A cult film or cult movie, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a cult following. Cult films are known for their dedicated, passionate fanbase, an elaborate subculture that engage in repeated viewings, quoting dialogue, and audience participation. Inclusive definitions allow for major studio productions, especially box office bombs, while exclusive definitions focus more on obscure, transgressive films shunned by the mainstream. The difficulty in defining the term and subjectivity of what qualifies as a cult film mirror classificatory disputes about art. The term cult film itself was first used in the 1970s to describe the culture that surrounded underground films and midnight movies, though cult was in common use in film analysis for decades prior to that."

If we go by the same definition as a movie, The Witcher 3 is 1. Celebrated in the mainstream, and 2. It wasn't, initally or ever, a bomb in sales or ratings.

If we go by the normal definition of the word "Cult" "A person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society." then you are dead wrong when you do not assume CDPR is a cult developer, they have released 3 games, Witcher 1 and 2 bombed as to sales, Witcher 3 reached a kinda ok sales. And most of their following is following them because of GOG not so much the games.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

OP is still triggered over titties

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Easily.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

If we go by the normal definition of the word "Cult" "A person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society." then you are dead wrong when you do not assume CDPR is a cult developer, they have released 3 games, Witcher 1 and 2 bombed as to sales, Witcher 3 reached a kinda ok sales. And most of their following is following them because of GOG not so much the games.

The Witcher as a franchise reached 33 million copies sold as of the end of 2017.

Witcher 3 was a massive sales success, selling 6 million copes by the end of it's first couple months out. What planet are you living on?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lundy86_4

@Vaasman said:

The Witcher as a franchise reached 33 million copies sold as of the end of 2017. What planet are you living on?

TBH, he's really stretching on his use of the word cult. Like, really really stretching.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I was expecting it to before I saw the gameplay reveal. It didnt really do anything for me.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jacanuk

@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

The Witcher as a franchise reached 33 million copies sold as of the end of 2017.

Witcher 3 was a massive sales success, selling 6 million copes by the end of it's first couple months out. What planet are you living on?

A blind chicken finding a single corn does not mean the chicken won´t go hungry.

Considering the huge majority of that sales comes from 3, it does not remove the facts that 1 and 2 was a failure in terms of sales and revenue.

Also, by the way, thanks for proving my point, that CDPR has a cult following which you so brilliant showcase.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lundy86_4

@Jacanuk said:

A blind chicken finding a single corn does not mean the chicken won´t go hungry.

Considering the huge majority of that sales comes from 3, it does not remove the facts that 1 and 2 was a failure in terms of sales and revenue.

Also, by the way, thanks for proving my point, that CDPR has a cult following which you so brilliant showcase.

How do you define failure? Do we know the intricacies of CDP's internal accounting? Development costs compared to total revenue or profit? You throw labelling around, without determing any earnings. If you could establish a baseline in terms of investment for each game, and then determine profit margin, that would be appreciated. Then we can at least move on with the argument.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DragonfireXZ95
@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:
@Jacanuk said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Jacanuk said:

"Kinda ok" sales? He's right. What planet are you living on? Lol

True, Witcher 1 is a cult classic, but Witcher 2 sold pretty well, and garnered positive reviews all around. Even Witcher 2 is hard to define as a cult classic. Witcher 3 is arguably one of the best selling RPGs of this generation, moving over 15 million copies on its own.

You also missed quite a big part of that quote: "A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a work of culture, often referred to as a cult classic. A film, book, musical artist, television series or video game, among other things, is said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fanbase. A common component of cult followings is the emotional attachment the fans have to the object of the cult following, often identifying themselves and other fans as members of a community. Cult followings are also commonly associated with niche markets. Cult media are often associated with underground culture, and are considered too eccentric or subversive to be appreciated by the general public or to be commercially successful."

The Witcher 3 fanbase isn't small, and the game is hugely successful. Two things which directly contradict what you say.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacanuk

@lundy86_4 said:
@Jacanuk said:

How do you define failure? Do we know the intricacies of CDP's internal accounting? Development costs compared to total revenue or profit? You throw labelling around, without determing any earnings. If you could establish a baseline in terms of investment for each game, and then determine profit margin, that would be appreciated. Then we can at least move on with the argument.

I define failure as 2 games selling 8 mill. combined, and their biggest seller sold 17mill according to CDPR´s own fact sheet. So if we look at Witcher 3's development cost that came close to a 100mill, meaning that with PR the 250mill USD they made, is not a major sum. So consider the money spent vs the money earned, it´s not exactly a huge box office hit.

And Cyberpunk is expected to exceed the 100mill USD mark, so they need a lot more sales than even the 3 Witcher games combined brought in.

But the above does not really change anything about CDPR and it´s cult following, which is kinda like Nintendo's fanbase, Both could serve a plate of rotten fish and their fanbase would eat it up and tell everyone that it´+s the greatest dish since Pizza.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jacanuk

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

"Kinda ok" sales? He's right. What planet are you living on? Lol

True, Witcher 1 is a cult classic, but Witcher 2 sold pretty well, and garnered positive reviews all around. Even Witcher 2 is hard to define as a cult classic. Witcher 3 is arguably one of the best selling RPGs of this generation, moving over 15 million copies on its own.

You also missed quite a big part of that quote: "A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a work of culture, often referred to as a cult classic. A film, book, musical artist, television series or video game, among other things, is said to have a cult following when it has a small but very passionate fanbase. A common component of cult followings is the emotional attachment the fans have to the object of the cult following, often identifying themselves and other fans as members of a community. Cult followings are also commonly associated with niche markets. Cult media are often associated with underground culture, and are considered too eccentric or subversive to be appreciated by the general public or to be commercially successful."

The Witcher 3 fanbase isn't small, and the game is hugely successful. Two things which directly contradict what you say.

Your first failure is calling witcher 2 a success, the next is your fundamental misunderstanding of the word cult.

But thanks again for proving my point.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lundy86_4

@Jacanuk said:

I define failure as 2 games selling 8 mill. combined, and their biggest seller sold 17mill according to CDPR´s own fact sheet. So if we look at Witcher 3's development cost that came close to a 100mill, meaning that with PR the 250mill USD they made, is not a major sum. So consider the money spent vs the money earned, it´s not exactly a huge box office hit.

And Cyberpunk is expected to exceed the 100mill USD mark, so they need a lot more sales than even the 3 Witcher games combined brought in.

But the above does not really change anything about CDPR and it´s cult following, which is kinda like Nintendo's fanbase, Both could serve a plate of rotten fish and their fanbase would eat it up and tell everyone that it´+s the greatest dish since Pizza.

Holy shit mate, could you provide the citations for all of this?