Are we just overlooking this point now regarding the PS3?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"][QUOTE="Tristam22"]OK. So you've come out and said that, had Square Enix announced Dragon Quest IX for the PS3, there wouldn't have been any difference in sales. WOW.

No.

If DQ had been announced for PS3 that would be another excellent big name title for the PS3. But tell me this, do you expect that because of this announcement that DQ is going to DS that nobody in Japan will buy the PS3 now?

You have to realize FF and DQ cater to a very similar audience in Japan. Both FF and MGS will help secure PS3's win in Japan, but of course, DQ would have helped. I'm just saying PS3 sales would have been really affected if DQIX had been announced for a console that is actually competing with the PS3.

No I don't think that the Japanese will refrain from buying the PS3. They'll just buy it in much smaller numbers (it's only tripling the 360's sales as it is). Admit it: losing Dragon Quest IX hurts the PS3.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
[QUOTE="Tristam22"]No I don't think that the Japanese will refrain from buying the PS3. They'll just buy it in much smaller numbers (it's only tripling the 360's sales as it is). Admit it: losing Dragon Quest IX hurts the PS3.

Um...do you think 360 will even have a chance when MGS/FF are out? Halo doesn't have the effect it has in Japan like the US...

And they won't buy the PS3 in "much smaller numbers" as you said. They'll buy DQ for DS and they'll buy the PS3 for their MGS and FF needs. They're not going to ignore these games.
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Tristam22
[QUOTE="the-very-best"][QUOTE="Tristam22"]No I don't think that the Japanese will refrain from buying the PS3. They'll just buy it in much smaller numbers (it's only tripling the 360's sales as it is). Admit it: losing Dragon Quest IX hurts the PS3.

Um...do you think 360 will even have a chance when MGS/FF are out? Halo doesn't have the effect it has in Japan like the US...

And they won't buy the PS3 in "much smaller numbers" as you said. They'll buy DQ for DS and they'll buy the PS3 for their MGS and FF needs. They're not going to ignore these games.

No kidding. I only mentioned the 360 as a reference point for how poorly the PS3 is selling, despite all the big name exclusives that are coming out for it. You still can't seem to wrap your mind around the fact that a PS3 acquisition of Dragon Quest IX would've been the coup de grace for Microsoft and it would have put it in serious competition with Nintendo. Sure, PS3 sales will spike a couple mil for FF13 and MGS4? Then what?
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#54 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
That's why 2008 will probably be a great year for the PS3.  Then they'll have earned the money to afford one w/o applying for a loan!
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 the-very-best
No kidding. I only mentioned the 360 as a reference point for how poorly the PS3 is selling, despite all the big name exclusives that are coming out for it. You still can't seem to wrap your mind around the fact that a PS3 acquisition of Dragon Quest IX would've been the coup de grace for Microsoft and it would have put it in serious competition with Nintendo. Sure, PS3 sales will spike a couple mil for FF13 and MGS4? Then what? Tristam22

No, I understand that but it sounds to me like you're underestimating the effect FF and MGS have on Japan. PS2 didn't start selling well in Japan till FF and MGS were out and look at it now.

The same will happen for the PS3. MS is not a serious contender in Japan and while I do think Wii will sell very well over there I think sales will transfer to the PS3 once people realize they can't play FF or MGS on Wii. Or, people may buy both consoles (although this didn't happen last gen it could this gen due to Wii's cheap price).
RoyTheViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 RoyTheViking
Member since 2005 • 3574 Posts

[QUOTE="jachichorro"]I think it's too early to make predictions.Vyse_The_Daring
Agreed.

Doubley Agreed.

Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Tristam22
[QUOTE="Tristam22"]No kidding. I only mentioned the 360 as a reference point for how poorly the PS3 is selling, despite all the big name exclusives that are coming out for it. You still can't seem to wrap your mind around the fact that a PS3 acquisition of Dragon Quest IX would've been the coup de grace for Microsoft and it would have put it in serious competition with Nintendo. Sure, PS3 sales will spike a couple mil for FF13 and MGS4? Then what? the-very-best

No, I understand that but it sounds to me like you're underestimating the effect FF and MGS have on Japan. PS2 didn't start selling well in Japan till FF and MGS were out and look at it now.

The same will happen for the PS3. MS is not a serious contender in Japan and while I do think Wii will sell very well over there I think sales will transfer to the PS3 once people realize they can't play FF or MGS on Wii. Or, people may buy both consoles (although this didn't happen last gen it could this gen due to Wii's cheap price).

I don't really think I'm underestimating the influence of FF and MGS in Japan. The latest FF has barely cracked 2 million units and no MGS game has ever bested 1 million in Japan. You think 3 million potential "transfer sales" is going to turn the console war's tide in favor of the PS3?
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 the-very-best
I don't really think I'm underestimating the influence of FF and MGS in Japan. The latest FF has barely cracked 2 million units and no MGS game has ever bested 1 million in Japan. You think 3 million potential "transfer sales" is going to turn the console war's tide in favor of the PS3?Tristam22

Your figures aren't correct.

FFXII has sold 2.5 million in Japan and 4 million worldwide (without even being released in Europe yet).

And tell me, why did the PS2 win Japan? Was it not because of games like FF, MGS, Tekken, etc? Why didn't GC win? Simple. People prefer DQ, MGS, Tekken, FF over Mario for consoles. For handhelds Pokemon is still number 1 which is why DS has been such a success.

We're obviously not going to come to an agreement. What console do you expect to win over Japan though?
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Tristam22
[QUOTE="Tristam22"]I don't really think I'm underestimating the influence of FF and MGS in Japan. The latest FF has barely cracked 2 million units and no MGS game has ever bested 1 million in Japan. You think 3 million potential "transfer sales" is going to turn the console war's tide in favor of the PS3?the-very-best

Your figures aren't correct.

FFXII has sold 2.5 million in Japan and 4 million worldwide (without even being released in Europe yet).

And tell me, why did the PS2 win Japan? Was it not because of games like FF, MGS, Tekken, etc? Why didn't GC win? Simple. People prefer DQ, MGS, Tekken, FF over Mario for consoles. For handhelds Pokemon is still number 1 which is why DS has been such a success.

We're obviously not going to come to an agreement. What console do you expect to win over Japan though?

"The latest FF has barely cracked 2 million units...in Japan." Since we're referring exclusively to Japanese sales, surely you can infer at some level that I wasn't speaking of worldwide sales? 2.5 million is a shipped figure; actual sales are a few hundred thousand less. Again, MGS games don't crack a million in Japan. They're more popular (but no less critically acclaimed) elsewhere. PS2 won in Japan because of its universal appeal in the same vein as the DS and Wii currently enjoy. We both know 360 will not win Japan. Based on current trends, I certainly don't see the PS3 winning. Thus, Wii wins by default. However, I'm glad to see you've admitted to DQ's overwhelming popularity in Japan ("

eople prefer DQ...").

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 the-very-best
[QUOTE="Tristam22"]"The latest FF has barely cracked 2 million units...in Japan." Since we're referring exclusively to Japanese sales, surely you can infer at some level that I wasn't speaking of worldwide sales? 2.5 million is a shipped figure; actual sales are a few hundred thousand less. Again, MGS games don't crack a million in Japan. They're more popular (but no less critically acclaimed) elsewhere. PS2 won in Japan because of its universal appeal in the same vein as the DS and Wii currently enjoy. We both know 360 will not win Japan. Based on current trends, I certainly don't see the PS3 winning. Thus, Wii wins by default. However, I'm glad to see you've admitted to DQ's overwhelming popularity in Japan ("

eople prefer DQ...").

OK. That's a fair enough response. I thought you were going to say 360 will win.

You can't just assume PS3 won't gain more popularity eventually though. I mean, Wii is so popular right now because it's so much cheaper than the other consoles and it offers a great, fresh new way to play games.

PS3 will soon have some awesome games too that will give the console some positive media like the Wii is enjoying right now. I think Wii will enjoy great sales in Japan, but I do expect the PS3 will get in the lead by the end. It's getting all the old series Japan loves and some new ones like WKS which is pretty much guaranteed to be a hit.

It's all prediction of course, but, getting back to my original point, many consumers were happy with their PS2, it offered the most games and a wide variety of them. There's no reason people will transfer to 360 or Wii when PS3 is still getting the major titles that people enjoy.
kevbo77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 kevbo77
Member since 2003 • 656 Posts
Whoever sells the most consoles to casual gamers will win the console wars. Its not more complicated than that. Currently, Nintendo looks to be the system that appeals to the widest audience, and because of its attractive price will likely outsell the 360 and PS3. There will, however, be a next generation for the big three, that much is known.