Are we content by naming either RDR2, BoTW, or Witcher 3 as the GOTG?

• 91 results
#51 Posted by with_teeth26 (9425 posts) -

It'd be RDR2 or Witcher 3 for me.

not sure if I could pick between them

#52 Posted by uninspiredcup (32089 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@MonsieurX said:
@ghosts4ever said:

No.

Its Still Doom.

Said no one ever

https://store.steampowered.com/app/379720/DOOM/

very positive on steam. 92%.

What's Resident Evil 2's my freind?

overrated.

almost as overrated as witcher 3.

#53 Posted by JVII (636 posts) -

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt is the only one that sticks out to me, and I don't see that changing.

#54 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25129 posts) -

Witcher 3 is my GOTG so far, although Cyberpunk 2077 could take away that throne depending on when it comes out.

#55 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79247 posts) -

Just from what I've heard of RDR2, it didn't appeal enough to me for me to even want to play it, so that gets a no from me. Still want to play Witcher 3, though. Breath of the Wild was amazing for a Zelda game, but it was far from the best game I've played in the genre. Honestly, I can very rarely decide on a GotY, so for a GotG, it's impossible for me to decide.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
#56 Posted by deactivated-5cab66ac558b0 (78 posts) -

3 games series that I don't care about

#57 Posted by KungfuKitten (26312 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

When is Cyberpunk 2077 coming out? Do you guys/girls think that could be a late game of the generation if it releases in time?

It definitely could be.

#58 Posted by Jag85 (13248 posts) -

RE2make for me. But it's a remake, so doesn't count.

Otherwise, BOTW is the GOTG.

#60 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2216 posts) -

The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5

#61 Edited by AJStyles (622 posts) -

LOL at suggesting BOTW could win. That is one of the most broken and bland games ever made. Empty world with nothing to do and weapons breaking every 2 hits.

It is so obvious the game industry overrates that series “because Nintendo”. The games are constantly in the 7-8/10 range but get inflated scores to 10/10.

You can’t consider any Nintendo game(Zelda or Mario) as GOTG for any generation because Sony/Microsoft’s consoles have much higher standards.

A 10/10 on a Nintendo console is a 8/10 at best on a Sony/Microsoft console.

So GOTG will be decided between Witcher 3, RDR2, TLOU2, GoW, or CyberPunk.

Those are the only games in discussion and we have to wait until this gen is over and the rest of the AAA games are done being released.

#62 Posted by phbz (4209 posts) -

I enjoyed them all but BotW by far. Not even a competition imo. And it's kind of interesting that for all the importance we give to graphics and hardware this was achieved with previous gen hardware.

#63 Posted by DocSanchez (5150 posts) -

Take the overrated BOTW out of the equation and you have the right choices there. At least to my mind. They both have great stories. Even though Witcher is on it's third game I think I preferred the protagonist in RDR2 but I do think there was more to The Witcher. I'm not interested in the online mode of RDR so I spent more time on Witcher 3 in total. Not sure which I preferred. Both a 10 for me.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#64 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2931 posts) -

@Juub1990: lol yet it won more Goty's then RDR2 and has a higher metacritic then TW3. By all standards God of war could be considered game of the gen.

#65 Posted by Jag85 (13248 posts) -

@ajstyles: The real AJ Styles is a big Nintendo fan. You should change your name, because you're just disrespecting him by using his name to bash a gaming company he loves...

Anyway, like I said, BOTW is the first freeform open world game driven by physics and chemistry engines. In other words, it's revolutionary. The other GOTG contenders just recycled tried-and-tested formulas from the last gen, whereas BOTY is the only GOTG contender that is genuinely revolutionary. That's what makes it the most worthy GOTG.

#66 Posted by Mandzilla (3786 posts) -

@ajstyles: You are eternally butthurt my friend.

#67 Posted by bussinrounds (3096 posts) -

How about who gives a shit and stop trying to put a dumb label on everything.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
#68 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2647 posts) -

Witcher 3 followed by uncharted 4 are the most overrated game this gen IMO. GOW and botw are the kings this gen.

#69 Edited by Jackamomo (2157 posts) -

DayZ Mod when it was good.

Everything else is same old.

You appear to be talking about the most expensive to produce games of the generation.

My vote goes to Prison Architect for spawning a genuinely brilliant genre of management games which run on anything.

To say Nintendo is overrated is to suggest bears might relieve themselves within an arboreal landscape.

@Jag85: BOTW is the first freeform open world game driven by physics and chemistry engines.

What does this mean?

#70 Posted by DaVillain- (35448 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:
@mandzilla said:

When is Cyberpunk 2077 coming out? Do you guys/girls think that could be a late game of the generation if it releases in time?

It definitely could be.

No one really knows when Cyberpunk 2077 will release. CDPR stated the game will be release for PS4/Xbox One/PC only and nothing for PS5 or Xbox Scarlet.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#71 Edited by Blackhairedhero (2931 posts) -

@davillain-: That's not true actually. They said PS4, XB1, PC and unannounced platforms. The CEO leaked it in an investors meeting.

#72 Posted by DaVillain- (35448 posts) -

@blackhairedhero said:

@davillain-: That's not true actually. They said PS4, XB1, PC and unannounced platforms. The CEO leaked it in an investors meeting.

Really? I don't see that happening if Cyberpunk 2077 would be ported to next-gen unless were talking about BC. I be very surprise to see Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5/Xbox Scarlet.

#73 Posted by Mandzilla (3786 posts) -
@KungfuKitten said:
@mandzilla said:

It definitely could be.

We shall see! :D

#74 Posted by Mandzilla (3786 posts) -

@davillain-: I'm thinking it'll come out late 2019 or early 2020. GOTY material for sure, but will likely miss the cut off similar to Smash.

#75 Edited by Jag85 (13248 posts) -

@jackamomo: It means the world is governed by laws of physics and chemistry. In particular, it's the first major AAA game with a chemistry engine, which was virtually unheard of before BOTW.

#76 Posted by Jackamomo (2157 posts) -

@Jag85: Can you explain how this affects the game in practice?

#77 Posted by sakaiXx (5157 posts) -

I am actually surprised many Bloodborne shoutouts. Truly deserved a call for GoTG, probably has the best atmosphere of all the games mentioned. There is just something about Yharnam that is so intriguing. Also the game is even worst at telling you the lore and story but it makes so much sense if you try to understand it. Still didn't get about the whole dreams thing though...

#78 Edited by warmblur (1939 posts) -

My GOTG will probably be CyberPunk 2077 when it releases. I really want to replay RDR2 again when it comes to PC eventually. I have the PS4 version and beat it but aiming in that game is a chore I know I will enjoy it so much more with mouse and keyboard and 60 fps.

#79 Posted by SecretPolice (34938 posts) -

Likely GOTG gonna be in this order...

Halo: Infinite

Gears 5

RDR2

FH4

Sea of mofo Thieves.

:P

#80 Posted by Randoggy (3442 posts) -

Of the games you listed I think only Zelda could potentially take that title. There are still a few games that need to come out before I could make a definitive statement.

#81 Posted by Maroxad (15216 posts) -

RDR 2?

I am pretty sure Most people would argue God of War is better.

#82 Edited by Sgt_Crow (6056 posts) -

BotW easily. Loving the butthurt comments about the game from the usual suspects.

Stay salty folks.

#83 Edited by Maroxad (15216 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

@Jag85: Can you explain how this affects the game in practice?

Short Answer: It allows for nearly unparalleled interactivity in the AAA gaming industry sphere.

Long answer: A lot of objects in the world can be interacted with, not just with a linear A to interact but players can outright interact with them by using objects on them and how they interact is not based on a prescripted solution but rather, a set of rules. Zelda is a game franchise about problem solving. And the physics and chemistry simulation allows players to imagine their own solutions and improvise. Making them feel like geniuses. It also allows my playthrough to be radically different from yours. Basically, it adds tremendously to replay value, and adds a lot of depth to the game.

Zelda isnt the first game to simulate physics or chemistry. But probably the first AAA game to do both, and with such polish too. Dwarf Fortress did both (but this isnt an AAA game), and the physics, biology and chemistry that game simulates enshrined the game its position as one of the best games of all time. Breath of the Wild too, did so in a much more accessible and polished fashion. And I cannot give the game enough credit for bringing mass appeal to what are some of the coolest features I have seen in a game

#84 Posted by Micropixel (1383 posts) -

For me, it's between BoTW and Horizon Zero Dawn.

#85 Posted by Lucianu (10337 posts) -

Depends how long this console generation lasts.

Breath of the Wild - depends whether or not Nintendo will build upon this modern open - world foundation within this generation. If they make a sequel that improves the design and eliminates the flaws, that'll inevitably make Breath of the Wild instantly outdated, and make the new and improved sequel a potential GOTG. But if they don't, then Breath of the Wild is a valid, albeit arguable choice..

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ( + DLC) - pretty much is the game of the generation up to 2019, in my book. 4 years on, and it's still selling, still talked about, won a billion and one awards, and is almost universally loved (save for a few fuckers that are bitter that Bloodborne was completely dwarfed in 2015). It copies a significant bit of Gothic 2's one - of - a - kind world design and quest design to make it highly replayable not only because of that, but also because of its genuinely good writing and memorable characters. A 100+ hour game that is also highly replayable.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - No, i doubt it, barely anyone even talks about this game, and it's only been a little while since its release; It's to safe, to predictable, and it'll age like shit because of its inherent design to "immerse" you through its cinematic presentation. Yes, The Witcher 3 is also imbued with a cinematic presentation, but it's not something that's as focused as in RDR2, it's not something with an over-emphasis on immersion through "realism" and a slower pace. That'll really hurt its replayability over time.

It's pretty much between Breath of the Wild and The Witcher 3, if nothing noteworthy is released like Cyberpunk 2077. Metro Exodus looked like a phenomenal contender, it had a real good chance to make a ripple in the market.. but the publisher/developer really fucked themselves hard in the last couple of weeks. A GOTG needs to make a strong ripple so its played by as many people as possible so we know it's something, this thing is dead on arrival until its properly released on Steam.

#86 Posted by Ross_the_Boss6 (3936 posts) -

God Of War for me. Getting kind of sick of bloated open world games.

#87 Posted by 360ru13r (1844 posts) -

I would say yes but I would not sure who I would give it to. Each is great in their own way but I feel like Breath of the Wild gets it and i have not even played it. But Witcher 3 and Red Dead 2 are amazing.

#88 Edited by Jag85 (13248 posts) -

While this thread seems to be mostly focused on single-player GOTG candidates, I'd pick the following for multiplayer GOTG:

PUBG

I get the feeling that, years from now, the game industry will look back on PUBG the same way we look back on Doom. While Doom was not the first FPS, there's no doubt that it was the most important FPS. Similarly, PUBG is easily the most important battle royale game. And it's still the best battle royale game to date (though not sure about Apex yet), and the most-played battle royale game in the world (with twice as many players as Fortnite).

While PUBG's direct impact in the West has been short-lived thanks to Fortnite stealing its thunder, PUBG's indirect impact is still evident via games it inspired, like Fortnite, Black Ops 4 and Apex. Also, PUBG is still the battle royale king in Asia, where it's having a tremendous impact. Along with having hundreds of millions of players in China, it's also helped contribute to Japan rapidly becoming a major PC gaming market (Japan now has up to 15 million PC gamers, according to Famitsu), and PUBG is even contributing towards India rapidly emerging as a major gaming market.

#89 Posted by Basinboy (13837 posts) -

Bloodborne, OW, and MGS5 are my personal picks. I’ve yet to play either TW3 or RDR2, while BotW is far from being in the conversation.

Handful of other picks: The Witness, Life Is Strange, DOOM, Prey.

I’ve so much in my backlog that I doubt I’ll ever be able to advocate with a complete working knowledge of each title.

#90 Posted by TheEroica (18356 posts) -

Breath of the wild is the gotg to me... Easily my favorite game and easily the best open world game I've played to date.

#91 Posted by jeezers (2435 posts) -

none of those games make my top 3.. but popularity wise sure

#92 Posted by voljin1987 (1063 posts) -

divinity original sin 2 and hollow knight are leagues better than those games.