Are timed exclusives anti-consumers?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Rise of the Tomb Raider will come out on PS4 soon. It could have been out on it since Feb but Microsoft decided to be jerks and pay just to stop PS4 owners from being able to play the game. As a former PS4 owner this didn't bother me, I just played it on PC.

Now apparently Destinity will get exclusive content on the PS4 a year ahead of the Xbox One. Again, what it does is only hurt Xbox consumers, doesn't help anyone except Sony.

Funding a game from a third party studio to have it developed for your own platform is one thing. Paying money to the dev so their game doesn't come out elsewhere is another.

Consoles need to justify their increasing irrelevance and the slimy tactics used to do so disgust me. What's the point of being tied down to a single device any more?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

ROTTR timed exclusivity was a slimeball move.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The whole game industry is anti-consumer, broseph.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

The whole game industry is anti-consumer, broseph.

Yep...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nope. Developers can choose which platform they want their games to be on. It's also their prerogative to manipulate how their games are released.

As consumers, it's our right to approve or disapprove via our wallets.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Nope. Developers can choose which platform they want their games to be on. It's also their prerogative to manipulate how their games are released.

Publishers are making these decisions, not developers.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Yeah it is.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

All exclusives are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

No, it's a part of business. They are in competition with other systems and they need to do anything that they can to get competitive advantages.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

Then so are all the exclusivity deals Sony signs. Hypocrite.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Yes, it's anti consumer. Owned exclusives such as Mario, Uncharted and Halo make sense but fragmenting a third party series' fanbase is very anticonsumer. I'll be buying used.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@mems_1224 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Then so are all the exclusivity deals Sony signs. Hypocrite.

Please name these recent timed exclusives for me. The only one I can think of on Sony's end is Rocket League. When Sony does a deal it is generally permanent. Some may argue that is worse, but I think it is better. Go all in on exclusivity or don't do it at all. Xbox is so desperate to fool people they are even doing 1 month month exclusives with games like Inside that no one is buying a console for.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

yes.

the reason some are worse than others is because a game might bexclusive first on one system and then release on the other system later on (like Xbox games always come to PC,). But the game was originally meant to be exclusive.

Now a Game thats a sequel to a franchise that was already multiplat, now goes exclusive simply because a company paid so it wont come out on the other system and the slizzy publisher agreed to it? thats fucked up.

Exclusives should be games that are 1st party or games that wouldnt have been made unless the company (M$, Sony, Nintendo) stepped in to hel make it happen. And I dont have a problem with games being exclusive. It drives competition, it drives consumer to buy more than one system and expand their gaming.

But Time exclusives serve no purpose, because even if you have the system that its coming to first, you arent even getting the better deal cuz you're pay full price for a half bake game cuz next year the better version will come out on the other system.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

How was it different than SF5? I already posted a link to proof that MS helped with developing the game when you were all babybutthurt in the RotTR hype thread. So what made it slimy but SF5 legit?

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

How was it different than SF5? I already posted a link to proof that MS helped with developing the game when you were all babybutthurt in the RotTR hype thread. So what made it slimy but SF5 legit?

Sony funded SF5 while Microsoft simply paid to delay the PC and PS4 versions of ROTTR. Same thing as Sony did with Bloodborne and now Spider-Man. They fund a publish full games. They don't just bribe companies to delay other releases.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cainetao11

@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Sony funded SF5 while Microsoft simply paid to delay the PC and PS4 versions of ROTTR.

So you have proof the money given to Square wasn't used on the game? Please link us all to it.

And as I said, Spencer was quoted stating they will be helping with the development of the game. Why shouldn't they receive something for that?

"We will clearly spend money on marketing the game, there’s no doubt about that. And we do [that] on games where we have very little to do with development, and with games that we fully develop. And we will definitely be spending money on developing the game - I want to make sure that it’s as great as it can be.”-Phil Spencer

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/13/xboxs-phil-spencer-responds-tomb-raider-exclusivity-questions

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Publishers are making these decisions, not developers.

In that case, it's the publisher's perogative.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts

Its only anti-consumer when certain companies do it....

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cainetao11

@navyguy21 said:

You're getting that notion from some here as well, huh?

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Sony funded SF5 while Microsoft simply paid to delay the PC and PS4 versions of ROTTR.

So you have proof the money given to Square wasn't used on the game? Please link us all to it.

And as I said, Spencer was quoted stating they will be helping with the development of the game. Why shouldn't they receive something for that?

"We will clearly spend money on marketing the game, there’s no doubt about that. And we do [that] on games where we have very little to do with development, and with games that we fully develop. And we will definitely be spending money on developing the game - I want to make sure that it’s as great as it can be.”-Phil Spencer

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/13/xboxs-phil-spencer-responds-tomb-raider-exclusivity-questions

What Square Enix did with the money is irrelevant. Microsoft paid to delay the game on other platforms. Hell I can speculate that they used those funds to pump more money into FFXV and it would be just as plausible.

The fact that Microsoft deliberately used misleading marketing when the deal was announced to trick people into believing it was a permanent exclusive is all I need to know.

Going off on a tangent they did the same thing with Dead Rising 3, Ryse and more importantly Quantum Break. They claimed it would never go to PC and people bought Xbox Ones on the basis of that lie. To push it even they said it would stay Windows 10 exclusive and now it is coming to Steam!! Just face it Xbox division is full of liars.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

What Square Enix did with the money is irrelevant. Microsoft paid to delay the game on other platforms.

And Sony paid Capcom to not release SFV on Xbox

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

But every game Sony does it with isn't? Hahaha dude you seriously need to get over it. It was a business move period and something that happens every single gen.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cainetao11

@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

What Square Enix did with the money is irrelevant. Microsoft paid to delay the game on other platforms. Hell I can speculate that they used those funds to pump more money into FFXV and it would be just as plausible.

You can speculate that the Easter Bunny is real, it's still the ramblings of a butthurt poster with no actual proof.

I posted what we the gaming public have on record. You have nothing but admitted hate for MS as a retort. FAIL

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingtito

@mems_1224 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:

What Square Enix did with the money is irrelevant. Microsoft paid to delay the game on other platforms.

His hypocrisy is hilarious. "it's ok for Sony because they're funding it.""it's not ok for MS to fund or market the game because they're paying for it" hahaha THAT my friend is what we call being tormented

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StrongBlackVine

@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:

You can speculate that the Easter Bunny is real, it's still the ramblings of a butthurt poster with no actual proof.

I posted what we the gaming public have on record. You have nothing but admitted hate for MS as a retort. FAIL

Show me link that provides proof of Microsoft doing anything to improve the development of ROTTR. Phil Spencer visiting the studio every couple of weeks to check on his investment does not qualify.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kingtito
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Show me link that provides proof of Microsoft doing anything to improve the development of ROTTR. Phil Spencer visiting the studio every couple of weeks to check on his investment does not qualify.

He did, you're just so blinded by your hate for MS that you refuse to see the truth. You're quick to believe a blog though aren't you? Stop being a hypocrite and except the fact that if it's bad for one company to do it then it's bad for all companies to do it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cainetao11

@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Let me ask you this: how do any of us know for sure that the money Sony gave Capcom was spent on SF5? This is the info we all have, so unless someone has something to refute this other than hate for Sony, we accept it.

I posted what we, the gaming public have on record. Spencer clearly said in that interview "we will definitely be spending money on developing the game".So the burden of proof that this wasn't the case, as you claim, is on you. You need to prove this isn't what happened.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StrongBlackVine

@kingtito said:
@mems_1224 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

His hypocrisy is hilarious. "it's ok for Sony because they're funding it.""it's not ok for MS to fund or market the game because they're paying for it" hahaha THAT my friend is what we call being tormented

This is a strawman. I never said it is it not OK for Microsoft to fund games. Have I ever complained about Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Ori, Scalebound, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, etc? Nope because they actually did fund those. There is difference between paying for a game's development and paying to delay it on other platforms. Crystal Dynamics boss at the time(thank god he is gone) straight up said they did not need Microsoft to make that game so that argument is dead. It was bribe to delay plain and simple.

People comparing it SFV must have some sort of cognitive dissonance because MS did the same thing with Dead Rising 3 and no one complained because they funded the entire development. SFV and ROTTR deals are NOTHING alike.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@StrongBlackVine: ITT: doublethink

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cainetao11

@kingtito: In ten years here I've debated, argued and conversed with so many people on this forum. His hypocrisy is so illogical and fueled by blind hatred that he'll ignore it. There is no proof of what MS' money to Square or Sony's to Capcom was truthfully spent on. So in lieu of that, we have no choice but to accept the info we have. But he's so ridiculous that only stands for his beloved Sony. LMAO

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@dynamitecop said:

Considering the massive sales of No Man's Sky Hello Games is in pretty good shape for the future. I don't think they will be making the story for a Korean MMO like Remedy. Hell it probably sold more in the first day than Quantum Break has lifetime.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

Considering the massive sales of No Man's Sky Hello Games is in pretty good shape.

What on god's green Earth does this have to do with anything, take the Sony D out of your rear dude lol...

Horrible..

P.S. It's a PC game as well.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Only if MS does it.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StrongBlackVine

@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

Considering the massive sales of No Man's Sky Hello Games is in pretty good shape.

What on god's green Earth does this have to do with anything, take the Sony D out of your rear dude lol...

Horrible..

It has to do with your signature. Don't try to claim you are above trolling because whenever something linked to Sony does poorly in some way it goes in your signature. You trying claim that you are not a Microsoft slave is ridiculous. Tell the truth...are you Mooch?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cainetao11

@StrongBlackVine: This is a strawman. I never said it is it not OK for Microsoft to fund games. Have I ever complained about Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Ori, Scalebound, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, etc? Nope because they actually did fund those. There is difference between paying for a game's development and paying to delay it on other platforms. Crystal Dynamics boss at the time(thank god he is gone) straight up said they did not need Microsoft to make that game so that argument is dead. It was bribe to delay plain and simple.

People comparing it SFV must have some sort of cognitive dissonance because MS did the same thing with Dead Rising 3 and no one complained because they funded the entire development. SFV and ROTTR deals are NOTHING alike.

Whether the money was needed or not is irrelevant. They took it and it was publicly stated money is being spent on the development of the game. I bolded that above because you're right there is a difference in those two things. But we have a public statement that you have no actual proof that it is a lie. Your argument is completely derived from your hate for MS, not fact.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

Horrible..

It has to do with your signature. Don't try to claim you are above trolling because whenever something linked to Sony does poorly in some way it goes in your signature. You trying claim that you are not a Microsoft slave is ridiculous. Tell the truth...are you Mooch?

I've been going after this game since the first real information started flooding its way into the media, I've stayed consistent, I've said the same things and the issues with the game I've highlighted are the same issues reflected in reviews which are panning the game all over the place.

Also, No Man's Sky has nothing to do with this so stop deflecting with this idiocy.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Horrible..

I've been going after this game since the first real information started flooding its way into the media, I've stayed consistent, I've said the same things and the issues with the game I've highlighted are the same issues reflected in reviews which are panning the game all over the place.

Also, No Man's Sky has nothing to do with this so stop deflecting with this idiocy.

And you had a legit meltdown when Quantum Break flopped after hyping it to the end of the Earth. You trashed Bloodborne from the start saying it would not sell a million and score in the 70s...I see you.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

Horrible..

And you had a legit meltdown when Quantum Break flopped after hyping it to the end of the Earth. You trashed Bloodborne from the start saying it would not sell a million and score in the 70s...I see you.

You really can't stay on topic can you? Are you incapable? When you seem to be getting buried you change the subject..

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StrongBlackVine

@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

Horrible..

You really can't stay on topic can you? Are you incapable? When you seem to be getting buried you change the subject..

It has been almost two years so safe to say nothing will ever change my mind about Microsoft bribing Square Enix to delay ROTTR on PS4 and it not being the equatable to the SFV deal.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cainetao11

@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

It has been almost two years so safe to say nothing will ever change my mind about Microsoft bribing Square Enix to delay ROTTR on PS4 and it not being the equatable to the SFV deal.

With this post you absolve yourself. "nothing will ever change my mind". That's ok. It is truly everyone's right to believe what ever they wish to. It is my right to call those beliefs absurd when they have no factual evidence in reality.

You have concluded all by yourself what took place between two companies that you were never witness or had any factual proof of. That's a clear definition of Faith.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dynamitecop

@StrongBlackVine said:

That's your problem, like @cainetao11 said, you don't know enough information about either situation to justify one deal as being good vs. the other being bad.

One was to help development of the game, the other was to help fund the game, that's the information which has been made available. They're the same situation with the difference in outcome being that one was console exclusive for a year and the other is 'permanent'. (It's Capcom, we'll see how long that lasts)

You don't know how to disassociate yourself from Sony enough to realize that you're executing a complete doublethink in logic.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

What Activision/Bungie is doing with Destiny is the most anti consumer deal I have ever witnessed.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nintendoboy16

@cainetao11 said:
@navyguy21 said:

Me too honestly.

It was anti-consumer for Nintendo to get Bayonetta 2 permanently exclusive. It was anti-consumer of Microsoft to get Rise of the Tomb Raider (which cows are STILL complaining about, nevermind that, like RE4, which they shut the hell up about when that game was finally on the PS2). But SOMEHOW, when Sony gets permanent and timed exclusives like Street Fighter V this gen, and in gens past, Final Fantasy and Tekken, that's totally fine.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nintendoboy16

@lamprey263 said:

Only if MS does it.

Or ANYONE who's not Sony.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kingtito

@cainetao11 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@dynamitecop said:

With this post you absolve yourself. "nothing will ever change my mind". That's ok. It is truly everyone's right to believe what ever they wish to. It is my right to call those beliefs absurd when they have no factual evidence in reality.

You have concluded all by yourself what took place between two companies that you were never witness or had any factual proof of. That's a clear definition of Faith.

That is pretty much par for the course with cows. This guy more so than anyone I've ever seen when it comes to ROTR. His hate is unnatural and unhealthy. He really should let go of the hate.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cainetao11

@nintendoboy16 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@navyguy21 said:

Me too honestly.

It was anti-consumer for Nintendo to get Bayonetta 2 permanently exclusive. It was anti-consumer of Microsoft to get Rise of the Tomb Raider (which cows are STILL complaining about, nevermind that, like RE4, which they shut the hell up about when that game was finally on the PS2, is coming to their console). But SOMEHOW, when Sony gets permanent and timed exclusives like Street Fighter V this gen, and in gens past, Final Fantasy and Tekken, that's totally fine.

Don't forget GTA timed exclusivity back in 6th gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@navyguy21 said:

Me too honestly.

It was anti-consumer for Nintendo to get Bayonetta 2 permanently exclusive. It was anti-consumer of Microsoft to get Rise of the Tomb Raider (which cows are STILL complaining about, nevermind that, like RE4, which they shut the hell up about when that game was finally on the PS2). But SOMEHOW, when Sony gets permanent and timed exclusives like Street Fighter V this gen, and in gens past, Final Fantasy and Tekken, that's totally fine.

I'm also noticing this.

I never see Nintendo or Microsoft fans complain much when Sony acquires a timed exclusive or permanent exclusive. They may express some disappointment that they won't be able to play the game, but they don't go crazy complaining, calling the companies involved in the deal evil and anti-consumer, and making death threats like I've seen Sony fans do when they miss out on an exclusive.

But then when Sony acquires an exclusive like Street Fighter, the same people that criticize Nintendo and Microsoft for picking up exclusives are excited and call it a smart acquisition by Sony who can do no wrong in their minds.

And Sony fans also get upset when one of their exclusives goes multiplat. Who can forget the ridiculous reaction Sony fans had when previously Playstation exclusives like Devil May Cry or Final Fantasy went multiplat last gen; they were bitching that the developers were traitors, launching petitions, and making threats to boycott the games if they weren't kept as Playstation exclusives. But if exclusives are indeed anti-consumer, shouldn't they have been happy that the developers were being pro-consumer and allowing more people to enjoy these games? It looks like these people only think it's anti-consumer when Sony's competitors acquire exclusives, but it's fine for Sony to acquire exclusives and they will be furious whenever any of Sony's exclusives goes multiplat.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

MS does it because of the lack of quality internal studios. Sony does it for the lols.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#50 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69407 Posts

Exclusive is and always has been anti consumer but fanboys who have no other accomplishments in their life rely on the nonsense to feel good about themselves. That stupidity is the foundation of exclusives sustenance. Gaming needs to grow up and stop limiting content to devices.