Are there any games that have achieved the same level of writing as Zero Escape?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Just beat VLR last night and holy shit, the writers for this series are incredible.  I've yet to see another game that is as meticulously planned, intricate, mind blowing and sensible as this series.  (Unlike MGS, where much of the complexity seems ridiculous, the complexity of ZE seems reasonable after you learn the rules of its universe.)

And before you say "lol handhelds," play the damn games and see what all the fuss is about.

The rest of you plebs just carry on talking about PS3 vs Xbox and the differences between multiplat versions.

Can this series be topped?  And how pumped are you for Zero escape volume 3?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
The best writing I've seen in a game is Final Fantasy Tactics' Zodiac Brave Story. But Since VLR, which is also really well done, I would say no.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 turtlethetaffer

The best writing I've seen in a game is Final Fantasy Tactics. But Since VLR, which is also really well done, I would say no.bbkkristian

I'm just referring to the way it's written... There is a HUGE eye for little details that most people would never even dream of considering and you can tell tons of planning went into both games.  Although, yes, the plots are also awesome.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Planescape is still the king, though Zero was a very happy surprise considering today's games.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

So we're not praising the writing as much as how meta it is?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 turtlethetaffer

DarkLink77

Kind of both.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

turtlethetaffer

Kind of both.

Well, having not played the game, I can't comment. I'd imagine that PST is still the king, though, like Tagy said.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Kind of both.

Well, having not played the game, I can't comment. I'd imagine that PST is still the king, though, like Tagy said.

Get on that shit, man.  The games are awesome.

I_AM_MEGATRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 I_AM_MEGATRON
Member since 2008 • 427 Posts
999 is a masterpiece. easily one of the best games of all time. can't remember a game that had such a strong story. maybe MGS1 but after that MGS's story just became dumb and illogical (revengeance continues that horrible trend) ps: 999 also has one the most epic gaming moments in history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FplpQSrZ9N8
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 turtlethetaffer

999 is a masterpiece. easily one of the best games of all time. can't remember a game that had such a strong story. maybe MGS1 but after that MGS's story just became dumb and illogical (revengeance continues that horrible trend) ps: 999 also has one the most epic gaming moments in history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FplpQSrZ9N8I_AM_MEGATRON

You need to play VLR then.  The story isn't quite as strong (it lacks the "personal" feel of 999) but it's still awesome and just as mind blowing.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts
Planescape is still the king, though Zero was a very happy surprise considering today's games.tagyhag
Bingo.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Kind of both.

Just started playing PST, and damn, is it impressive!

Keep in mind, I didn't even make it out of the Mortuary yet... but Morte is awesome!

I_AM_MEGATRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 I_AM_MEGATRON

[QUOTE="I_AM_MEGATRON"]999 is a masterpiece. easily one of the best games of all time. can't remember a game that had such a strong story. maybe MGS1 but after that MGS's story just became dumb and illogical (revengeance continues that horrible trend) ps: 999 also has one the most epic gaming moments in history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FplpQSrZ9N8turtlethetaffer

You need to play VLR then.  The story isn't quite as strong (it lacks the "personal" feel of 999) but it's still awesome and just as mind blowing.

already finished it. not quite as good as 999 but still great. we'll see how the story continues in part 3.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

999? That and Mother 3 are some of the games that have itched me to no end to play, due to the giant wave of praise they've been getting.

I must see if there is something out there that can rival Planescape: Torment.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

are we counting these?

because if yes then there are thousands with that same level of writing.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 turtlethetaffer

999? That and Mother 3 are some of the games that have itched me to no end to play, due to the giant wave of praise they've been getting.

I must see if there is something out there that can rival Planescape: Torment.

Lucianu

999 and VLR are more readily available, so get on that.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
999 is a masterpiece. easily one of the best games of all time. can't remember a game that had such a strong story. maybe MGS1 but after that MGS's story just became dumb and illogical (revengeance continues that horrible trend) ps: 999 also has one the most epic gaming moments in history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FplpQSrZ9N8I_AM_MEGATRON
I've played through Ever and Remember (which IIRC are from the same writer). You've just convinced me to go try those games out.
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
I´ve played them,they´re pretty good in the writting department but not really among the very best games in that department,especially Planescape Torment wich is both in overall narrative,characters and story still miles better than these,not even close.
I_AM_MEGATRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 I_AM_MEGATRON
[QUOTE="I_AM_MEGATRON"]999 is a masterpiece. easily one of the best games of all time. can't remember a game that had such a strong story. maybe MGS1 but after that MGS's story just became dumb and illogical (revengeance continues that horrible trend) ps: 999 also has one the most epic gaming moments in history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FplpQSrZ9N8Articuno76
I've played through Ever and Remember (which IIRC are from the same writer). You've just convinced me to go try those games out.

you won't regret it.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Planscape Torment must be emphasized.

And oldie but amazing writing interweved into the very mechanics of the game itself.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Lol videogame stories Only played 999, it was cool, but I wouldn't put it over Mother 3, or a Planescape or a Monkey Island or a Grim Fandango, and frankly if I want pulp narrative I'd rather go with Max Payne 1 and 2. Plus there are loads of adventure games that have genuinely good writing, and they can do it without the absurdity.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Torment and Mask of the Betrayer immediately pop into mind. For attention to detail and not writing style I would say Dark Souls considering the attention to detail IS the story and lore.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

From this gen nothing comes close to Gray Matter, but I did enjoy 999 doors a lot.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

beating 999? no. beating VLR? maybe, probably.

VLR was such a big downgrade in the quality of the writing, it's depressing. the ending opens up all sorts of stupid plotholes, and manages to even screw up 999. it gave up on grounded, tame sci fi and went full on battlestar with its science, and the horror/suspense was diminished to the point of nonexistence. there was no urgency to it. and the characters... ugh. they managed to butcher half the recurring characters, and at the same time not make me care about any of the new ones.

it's still a great game on its own, but when you consider the standards it was being judged on because of the previous game, it just falls short.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23980 Posts

I actually started disliking the story of 999 once I got near the ending, the absurdity got too much to bear. Story got so bleugh near the end I have no interest in getting VLR, BrunoBRS's negativity for the game makes me even less interested in getting it.

PlaneScape: Torment, NWN2: MotB, Grim Fandago, Gabriel Knight, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are all games with better stories.

BLaverock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 BLaverock
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

Final Fantasy Tactics is an absolute classic, and many people overlook its fine writing. Seriously, that game is EPICLY written!

Vargion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vargion
Member since 2013 • 45 Posts
Yes, PC games do in fact exist, if that's what you're asking.
CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts
Yes, PC games do in fact exist, if that's what you're asking.Vargion
Ok, Where are they?
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

well the games main focuse is the talking so it better be good in that department.though some of the points of 999 is out there.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Lol videogame stories Only played 999, it was cool, but I wouldn't put it over Mother 3, or a Planescape or a Monkey Island or a Grim Fandango, and frankly if I want pulp narrative I'd rather go with Max Payne 1 and 2. Plus there are loads of adventure games that have genuinely good writing, and they can do it without the absurdity. jg4xchamp

I dont get the lol videogame thing. Are you comparing it to books?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Lol videogame stories Only played 999, it was cool, but I wouldn't put it over Mother 3, or a Planescape or a Monkey Island or a Grim Fandango, and frankly if I want pulp narrative I'd rather go with Max Payne 1 and 2. Plus there are loads of adventure games that have genuinely good writing, and they can do it without the absurdity. finalfantasy94

I dont get the lol videogame thing. Are you comparing it to books?

a story's quality should be judged in itself, regardless of medium. "good for videogame standards" is not necessarily good, as the medium still struggles to tell a decent story without sacrificing gameplay. there are a few exceptions here and there, and even fewer that use the game aspect to its advantage,
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59275 Posts

Planescape Torment. Sophisticated pc game. Created during a time before game design was done by overpaid yuppys appealing to the dude bros.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

a story's quality should be judged in itself, regardless of medium. "good for videogame standards" is not necessarily good, as the medium still struggles to tell a decent story without sacrificing gameplay. there are a few exceptions here and there, and even fewer that use the game aspect to its advantage,BrunoBRS
I don't agree, at least not fully. Sure, we shouldn't give a game a free pass, but one also has to recognize the limitations and advantages of each medium. Otherwise, movies couldn't have truly great stories, not compared to novels at least. We do however recognize some movies as great stories because they make up for the lack of depth with other storytelling advantages, which are audio and visual parts. Similiarly games might be limited by the need to have gameplay, but if they actually use interactivity to tell a story, that does make up for a lot of inherent's games problems. 

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

play the damn games and see what all the fuss is about.

The rest of you plebs just carry on talking about PS3 vs Xbox and the differences between multiplat versions.

Can this series be topped?turtlethetaffer

Literally everyone I've seen talking about the game (well mostly everyone) makes me not want to play it. Either way it's not my kind of game so heh.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Planescape Torment. Sophisticated pc game. Created during a time before game design was done by overpaid yuppys appealing to the dude bros.

uninspiredcup

It's a casual game, you can't even die properly.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
planetscape torment and sanitarium beat VLR hands down in terms of writing.. that said VLR is impressive too
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Planescape is still the king, though Zero was a very happy surprise considering today's games.tagyhag
This.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

VLR is really a good game and had really amazing story, until...

[spoiler]

[SPOILER END]

ihsanqueen

I swear you did that on purpose.

Thanks a lot.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#41 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Check out The Dream Machine. It's great.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts
I swear you did that on purpose.

Thanks a lot.Sagem28

Yeah, what a dick.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
[QUOTE="Sagem28"]I swear you did that on purpose.

Thanks a lot.freedomfreak

Yeah, what a dick.

I discussed with the dude about the spoiler. Kind of funny how not only did he forget to spoiler incorrectly, he didn't even have the right understanding of the story.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
999 is one of the greatest games I've ever played. Haven't played VLR yet though.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
VLR's ending was soooooooo depressing, it really put into perspective the whole system behind cause and effect.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#47 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I haven't played Zero Escape.  I will once I get a Vita.

But Shadowrun Returns is very well-written.  The narrative itself isn't particularly great, but the actual writing is very meticulous and very well done.  I found it just refreshing to sit down and read the words, they really made the game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BrunoBRS

But Shadowrun Returns is very well-written.  The narrative itself isn't particularly great, but the actual writing is very meticulous and very well done.  I found it just refreshing to sit down and read the words, they really made the game.

NeonNinja
nooooooooooo! play 999 first :x
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

BrunoBRS
nooooooooooo! play 999 first :x

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm ashamed I haven't finished VLR yet. 999 was absolutely amazing, but I just haven't gotten into VLR. I need to start over, that's for sure.