Are Sony's games selling so crazy cause of One X?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Just a theory, but are PS4 fans buying games like God of War and Spider-Man way beyond anything we've ever seen by SIE 1st party, because they know One X is more powerful and way better product than Pro, and doing it as a sort of retaliation to prove their exclusives mean more? I.E. people are only buying them cause PS4 exclusives, the 1 thing Xbox doesn't have. I know such a thing exists, and not question of whether it happens but to what extent, but don't really want to debate whether critics are pushing these games...What I want to talk about is more about their sales.

I got this idea from Switch owners who push the idea of buying games, so others like them will be ported, essentially padding the numbers. We've seen numerous indie record sales on Switch, including more sold on it than all other platforms, some within a week despite years on all others, and feel that doesn't just happen. Been wondering if PS4 fanboys have a similar motive, because so many seem over-infatuated with Sony's 1st party games, just feels like a similar thing is happening.

I know my theory is in ignorance, but it's only cause I have actual questions, like what made people buy them more than all other PlayStation 1st party exclusives in history? Why didn't Horizon Zero Dawn or Last of Us sell in these fast as numbers? The record includes since PS1 era, and them first two consoles had bigger player base, of course this is only SIE 1st party, not any 3rd party exclusives, which probably make most of the best exclusives games on PS1 and PS2.

I know God of War was a critical masterpiece, so its easier to explain its fast selling, it just makes sense. But I just don't think I get how or why Spider-Man outsold God of War. I mean Spider-Man hasn't really sold shit in years even as a multiplatform game. Insomniac is cool but their last great game Sunset Overdrive was under-radar and not really praised by critics.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Wtf? I bought those 2 gAmes because they are freaking great games..

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Wow....

Whole other level of fanboy reaching.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I bought Spider-man because i'm scared of Xbox One X. I lock my doors and hope it just doesn't see me.

in b4 lock.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

I’d get some professional help if I was as paranoid as you.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2018 Posts

What have you been smoking?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

You make commander and IP Daily seem sane lol.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Sorry salty, but when I buy games I do not think about xbone.

I mean why would I???

That's just so silly idea, retaliation. You must be really desperate Xbone fanboy if you think that for a second!

PS4 game sales are so high because the console has such huge user base, and because the games are getting really good reviews.

Xbone game sales are so low because nobody plays on that console, and because Xbone exclusives are getting real low scores.

Also, its well known fact that X1X is not supported with updates as well as PS4Pro, meaning most Xbone games dont look or play any better on X1X. Which makes it even less interesting console.

Bottom line is this: PS4 owners ignore X1X. Ignore it. They see it as a joke, a failure. It is no threat to PS4 or Pro at all, because nobody is interested in X1X. At all.

Where I live, X1X has not sold at all. Local gamestop said they have not sold a single one, in fact, while they are selling PS4 Pro like crazy. thats how things are. Fact. Deal with it.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts

Yes! Yes! It's all true! With the Xbox One X existing, I am compelled to buy more Sony games than ever! MWAHAHAHAH! It's all done just to spite you! And guess what else? Microsoft first party games aren't bad. In fact, State of Decay 2 is BETTER than Breath of the Wild. The bugs aren't bugs... they're a feature! We told review sites to rate them poorly just to hurt Xbox, and not because they're steaming piles of garbage.

We are all the Sony network! And all of our lives and gaming habits revolve around the Xbox One X because of JEALOUSY! And there's nothing you can do about it! How dare you have a $500 box that plays old games. The truth is, we HATE Spider-Man and God of War. We want Sony to be like Xbox and give us less exclusives, lean on old ass games, cancel any games coming up and give us new hardware to buy while Sony whines about the competition on Twitter. We rather be like YOU and watch Digital Foundry videos all day instead of playing video games!

You busted us, and you finally cracked the case.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#10 freedom01  Moderator  Online
Member since 2004 • 3673 Posts

you need to take off that tin foil hat

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8459 Posts

What the?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

LOL thread.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15868 Posts

You gotta admit this is a creative thread.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

The last lemmings left on SW have now gone into a state of psychosis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Even DareDevil's threads are not as bad as this...this is just on a whole other level...lol.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Lol NO. Sony actually makes good exclusives. MS needs to learn how to do the same if they want more people to buy their console. Most powerful console means nothing when Sony has games that make people want to play them more than they want a 4K console.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

The way fan boys think on these forums is not the same for the average buyer.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

I swear cows are getting nuttier every day with a severe case of Xbox Derangement Syndrome. lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55897 Posts

I wanted to play both God of War and Spider-Man because those games were really fun and enjoyable. When I buy a console exclusive, I don't think about the other guy.

@n64dd said:

in b4 lock.

A mod has already posted here, so it looks like it's not getting lock lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Just wondering what exactly is different in last 20 years and 500 million units sold, that these two games of all games sell more than any other. Pretending that system wars didn't see a major flare up over last month is kind of weak, and think its completely reasonable to suspect system wars for such a thing. I don't think there is any single answer, just grabbing at straws to see what's different, and a major difference is Xbox took back the power lead as the dominant console, and with PS4's minimal lead in NA, I wouldn't put it past fanboys to do whatever to make SIE's exclusives feel like most important thing in the world.

I didn't really want to dwell on this stuff, but considering how much people threw God of War in Xbox's face, including the media, clearly such things exist. The idea that people ignore Xbox is the singular reason for lack of information on the platform, which leads to lack of acceptance and cause of ignorance, which is reason someone like IGN would tweet about Xbox having zero exclusives against God of War when up to that point had 2 best selling exclusives of the year, and a 3rd one beating GoW in the monthly sales in its second month.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

Sony are doing what Sony do and dominating this generation. They have won 2 of the 4 generations by landslide. It's difficult for MS to even make a slight dent into the ps fanbase.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts

I dont even associate games with xbox and even less so with generation defining games like God of War or Spider-Man.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Sorry but thats an idiotic theory

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20095 Posts

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

I don't agree with that statement ms redefined the FPS genre with halo. Forza has changed the way I look at racing games they have had bad leadership which under phil Spencer is changing. I believe we will see a different ms within the next couple of years.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I've got to give credit where credit is due, this is the most creative troll thread in a long time.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

They are not selling crazy it's just hype from Sony fanboys

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 293

#29 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2931 Posts

That's exactly it. They have mad cow spending disease.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

That is some creative thinking dude...

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

The Xbox is mostly irrelevant worldwide, only in the US some take it seriously. Spiderman is not only the best Spiderman game ever made but it also came in a time where super heroes are very popular due to all the big movies and series

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts
@saltslasher said:

Just wondering what exactly is different in last 20 years and 500 million units sold, that these two games of all games sell more than any other. Pretending that system wars didn't see a major flare up over last month is kind of weak, and think its completely reasonable to suspect system wars for such a thing. I don't think there is any single answer, just grabbing at straws to see what's different, and a major difference is Xbox took back the power lead as the dominant console, and with PS4's minimal lead in NA, I wouldn't put it past fanboys to do whatever to make SIE's exclusives feel like most important thing in the world.

I didn't really want to dwell on this stuff, but considering how much people threw God of War in Xbox's face, including the media, clearly such things exist. The idea that people ignore Xbox is the singular reason for lack of information on the platform, which leads to lack of acceptance and cause of ignorance, which is reason someone like IGN would tweet about Xbox having zero exclusives against God of War when up to that point had 2 best selling exclusives of the year, and a 3rd one beating GoW in the monthly sales in its second month.

A) Newflash. Not that many people are buying X1X. Having the most powerful console on the market doesn't really matter if there's no exclusives to really show off for it. Plus, it's priced way higher than what the average console owner is willing to pay.

B) Related to that point, the only reason the lead is minimal in the US, is because Microsoft regularly has to firesale the console in the place were the brand is strongest. Xbox is regularly $50-100 cheaper than their direct competitor with constant sales and games included. These kinds of frugal customers are not the ones buying X1X. And yes, this is just the US. Lest you forget Xbox is nearly a non-entity in the rest of the world this gen, due to MS focusing too hard on one market. What charts on NPD is not part of the bigger picture.

C) SoD2 coming ahead over GoW in the second month didn't really amount to much since it shot straight down to no. 20 the second month of it's release. These Xbox games have no legs. If anything, the reason these Xbox games are charting at all is due to MS including PC figures in their NPD count.

LnV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 LnV
Member since 2018 • 151 Posts

Are you surprised that a well made game with Marvel on the Cover sold a lot?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Even a complete piece of garbage like star wars battle front ea edition sold a lot becase of powerful brand name(Star Wars)...Why is that happening to spider man surprising?

Last of Us and Horizon were new ips,cant be compared.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@saltslasher said:

Just a theory, but are PS4 fans buying games like God of War and Spider-Man way beyond anything we've ever seen by SIE 1st party, because they know One X is more powerful and way better product than Pro, and doing it as a sort of retaliation to prove their exclusives mean more? I.E. people are only buying them cause PS4 exclusives, the 1 thing Xbox doesn't have. I know such a thing exists, and not question of whether it happens but to what extent, but don't really want to debate whether critics are pushing these games...What I want to talk about is more about their sales.

I got this idea from Switch owners who push the idea of buying games, so others like them will be ported, essentially padding the numbers. We've seen numerous indie record sales on Switch, including more sold on it than all other platforms, some within a week despite years on all others, and feel that doesn't just happen. Been wondering if PS4 fanboys have a similar motive, because so many seem over-infatuated with Sony's 1st party games, just feels like a similar thing is happening.

I know my theory is in ignorance, but it's only cause I have actual questions, like what made people buy them more than all other PlayStation 1st party exclusives in history? Why didn't Horizon Zero Dawn or Last of Us sell in these fast as numbers? The record includes since PS1 era, and them first two consoles had bigger player base, of course this is only SIE 1st party, not any 3rd party exclusives, which probably make most of the best exclusives games on PS1 and PS2.

I know God of War was a critical masterpiece, so its easier to explain its fast selling, it just makes sense. But I just don't think I get how or why Spider-Man outsold God of War. I mean Spider-Man hasn't really sold shit in years even as a multiplatform game. Insomniac is cool but their last great game Sunset Overdrive was under-radar and not really praised by critics.

1 - First party titles are selling better these days because there are far fewer 3rd party titles vs the PS1-PS3 days. We almost completely lost the "B-tier" development studios

2 - Switch users buys games because they want to play them. This idea of padding numbers is beyond silly

3 - PS4 fans spending more money on Sony games because the Xbox One X is more powerful and a better product? I would hope that no fanboy is in this deep.

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 sirkibble2
Member since 2005 • 981 Posts

Dude, Switch players talk about buying the games they were already going to buy on the Switch. They're not over here buying multiple copies to pad the numbers. They're just saying they hope the sales give way to more of whatever game they're excited about.

"PS4 fanboys" aren't thinking about padding numbers. They're thinking about buying great games on a console they're already fans of. Like, what's so conspiratorial about that?

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

Your theory would only matter if the general public gave a shit about system wars.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Shit he discover our plan,quick fellow cows stop buying exclusives until this thread is forgotten.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

That's... Fucking stupid.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

I swear cows are getting nuttier every day with a severe case of Xbox Derangement Syndrome. lol :P

Lmao.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Ok, Lemmings need an intervention.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

Nobody wants an X1 or X1X because what quality game/s have they released this year? Not much. Not everyone enjoys ForzaMotorsport and Forza Horizon games.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

Us Lems aren't claiming OP. He isn't one of us.

Can we stick this guy into a whole different class? This guy and tormentos can be the sole occupants of a new class of super fanboy or something.

Someone come up with a name.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

@babyjoker1221: Elephants.

Bc they’re in the room but no one wants to acknowledge them.

Avatar image for snakes_righteye
snakes_righteye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 snakes_righteye
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

I haven't posted here in years, so I don't know the current trolling trends. I'll give my opinion anyway, because I know you're dying to hear it.

The Xbox start to this generation was awful. Even before it released it was pissing people off. I think it has made a great effort to make up for that awful start. It does lots of things to increase it's own value. It's a great console and offers great services.

My problem with the Xbox is the games. Fans of single player story games and JRPGS just won't pay attention to the Xbox at all.

If the Xbox wants to sell some consoles it should release Scalebound. I'm not the only person that would buy an Xbox just for that game, or one like it.

TL;DR. Personally I pay no attention to Xbox because it has no games I want to play.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

@that_old_guy: That works. Both type like they've got elephant feet anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

@snakes_righteye: It's a system war thread, I personally wouldn't have theorized such theories anywhere else, cause they would likely be completely ignored. I never expected anyone to tally themselves such a spiteful person.

I'm glad some answered with good answers, plenty of good chuckles in here. I do enjoy occasional flare up of system wars, but thing is, how do you know that crazy theories are crazy til people tell you, so now I know.

The questions I actually seek I'll find elsewhere, you know cause stripped down version doesn't include my ideas, but simple what is SIE's secret sauce. I'm sure the answer is simple, they likely just properly hyped the two games and the large user base is filled with people who want more SIE games.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#48  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Maybe some fanboys would do that, but i believe most console owners don't even know that there's a 'war'. Games sell well because they are good, well advertised, and there's a massive userbase to buy them.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#49 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'd never buy a game to spite another console. If I didn't like God of War or Spider-Man, then I'd much rather just keep the money for something I do like. And anyone who DID.... well, that's such an evolutionary leap into stupidity, we'd have to designate an entirely new species.