Are professional reviews legit any more?

• 72 results
Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Any time there's a deviation or outlier from a review, they are attacked, sometimes very aggressively. Like the TLoU2 review here, like what's happening with Angry Joe right now, like Stevivor who gave RDR2 a 7, or the famous streaming personality who gave BotW a 7.

Do any of you guys really want a hive mind mentality in professional reviews? Would absolute conformity really make you happy in that regard?

Also, who do you think is wrong: the one who stands out or the unified majority?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I don't think a reviewer should be harrassed but I do think people have a right to criticize a review. Bad reviews definitively exist, whether scored high or low.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

All i'll say is IGN reviews better stay forever because they bring us many memes. Reviewing for that site must be a hell hole.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

They slap 10/10 to any mainstream AAA game. they were never legit to begin with.

youtubers are more legit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@SolidGame_basic said:

I don't think a reviewer should be harrassed but I do think people have a right to criticize a review. Bad reviews definitively exist, whether scored high or low.

That's the heart of what I'm asking: are they "bad" because they differ, and if so, what's the point in a review system?

Shouldn't opposing views be celebrated instead of vilified?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

I don't trust professional reviews one bit. They have strict NDAs, can't talk about certain parts of the game (if that part is unfinished, buggy or just plain bet, they are under contract not to talk about it). They gave COD games 9 for the longest time. They get spoonfed what to say by publishers and worst of all: review events that take place in fancy hotels or resorts.

Reviewers that go off the beaten path too far will see themselves blacklisted. Publishers have waaaaay too much control over what is written, and what doesn't get written in reviews.

On the other hand we have irrational fanboys that just outright attack any score that doesn't fit into the hype they have been having for years for a certain game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@R4gn4r0k said:

I don't trust professional reviews one bit. They have strict NDAs, can't talk about certain parts of the game (if that part is unfinished, buggy or just plain bet, they are under contract not to talk about it). They gave COD games 9 for the longest time. They get spoonfed what to say by publishers and worst of all: review events that take place in fancy hotels or resorts.

Reviewers that go off the beaten path too far will see themselves blacklisted. Publishers have waaaaay too much control over what is written, and what doesn't get written in reviews.

On the other hand we have irrational fanboys that just outright attack any score that doesn't fit into the hype they have been having for years for a certain game.

All that sounds like a strong case for removing scores and just discussing impressions and thoughts.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

"Anymore” implies they ever were.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

That's the heart of what I'm asking: are they "bad" because they differ, and if so, what's the point in a review system?

It depends if the review is good. When Gamespot gave The Wonderful 101 a 4/10, I called bullshit. I read the review and got the sense this person wasn't the core gamer for this game and that they rushed themselves to do the review and let their frustration skew their score. I played the game myself and while they did have some legit criticism, the overall score was way too low. I wrote my dissent in the comments and moved on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@SolidGame_basic said:
@briguyb13 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

It depends if the review is good. When Gamespot gave The Wonderful 101 a 4/10, I called bullshit. I read the review and got the sense this person wasn't the core gamer for this game and that they rushed themselves to do the review and let their frustration skew their score. I played the game myself and while they did have some legit criticism, the overall score was way too low. I wrote my dissent in the comments and moved on.

Fully agree. Often, the outlier reviewer is factually incorrect, as you just said with that specific review. On the other hand, Stevivior's RDR2 review was spot on with his criticisms of the game. I wonder why more people didn't subscribe to those view points, and it makes me concerned that people are just afraid to express dissenting view points in the profession.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
@Juub1990 said:

"Anymore” implies they ever were.

When video games were a fledgling form of entertainment, reviews were, for the most part, for the consumer and intended to garner interest in the new format. They used to be informative and to the point.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

I have always argue that reviews should not be based on what the reviewer like or dislike,you rate a game based on innovation,gameplay,sound visuals,story not on ""oh this character die"" or "the game is to violent "" or any shit like that because that is freancly stupid,as the game may not really have sonething bad,the reviewer simply didnt like it,objetivity is what reviewers should use not personal taste.

If over scoring a game is bad underscoring it is worse as you spit on the hours and hours of some one else good job and probably without a valid reason but the reviewer stupidity.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Make up my own mind on my games, with the very in depth analytical thought process of "is this fun?"

Wither people fapping their hearts out to it or proclaiming it is shit is irrelevant. Paying for an entertainment product and wither you can articulate it or not you'll know one way or another. Can argue about it's merits and what not, but that's what it boils down to.

When it comes to being informed, I'll generally check Steam reviews as a quick indicator, and if it's shit refund it.

Steam has it's issues, but for the most part it's gelled better than your typical websites.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@briguyb13:

Due you think here you can discuss impressions and thoughts here? For real?

Those are opinions they are as skew as user generated scores.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#15  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

See, this is the problem I'm seeing; people putting way too much importance and authority into reviews; sorting them in "legit" and not, talking about how they "trust" or "don't trust" them, and obsessing over arbitrary numerical scores and one-line blurbs with no context.

What I see instead is merely subjective opinions, each from a different perspective, none of them meant to be taken in isolation, but analysed together into something resembling a consensus, which ultimately still should never supersede simply making up own mind. Scores mean jack to me.

But I get it. It's 2020. It's the age of social media and YouTube. Your opinions matter more if you shout it louder and back it up with emotions and colourful thumbnails, and people have trouble absorbing ideas that can't be conveyed in 280 characters or less.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44060 Posts

If Halo: Infinite, gets a 11/10 everywhere then they're legit. lol :P

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Yeah, I think there might be too much pressure for reviewers to be objective sometimes, even (or especially?) on final scores, which I don't think is either entirely possible or very fair on customers. If a reviewer's not *really* enjoying the whole actual playing bit of a game, I don't need to know how much they appreciate it in the abstract.

Then I imagine in a lot of cases, where there's an "important" release, games might end up assigned to the reviewer most likely to enjoy a particular title, which also isn't going to give a balanced final impression on aggregate sites.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of scores anyway. Given enough gameplay footage, I can generally tell if I'm going to like something or not. Maybe if review opinions were distributed across a whole panel of reviewers at each outlet, you'd have more diversity of opinion and an averaged score or whatever would feel more relevant. Could generate more visitor loyalty too, to have the same team of regulars, as they do over at Giant Bomb. But then it's no doubt impractical to conduct reviews like that for every single new release.

In short, I don't know, but yes, absolutely to whatever the question was again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Professional reviews are not perfect but the alternative is "this game has too many women 0/10".

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

No, but you know it's better than user reviews.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

The salt with this game keeps getting bigger. Oh, Jim's BOTW review was right on the nail. Want a tissue?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@phbz said:

Professional reviews are not perfect but the alternative is "this game has too many women 0/10".

As opposed to the "professional" reviews that say the exact opposite?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I would say prof reviews are as legit as they have ever been. Which is to say they are largely opinion-based and not immune to hype and other forces either.

My issue is they no longer go into detail on the things I want to read about. I enjoyed a lot of technical detail about gameplay mechanics, and graphical comparisons (across platforms, against prior installments or comparable games, etc), and information about the sound direction and so on. Now, even for less story-heavy games they focus tends to be vaguely on the overall progression of the game and how it "communicates its ideas"

I've also long advocated against scores. I think the numbers cause more problems their their ability to summarize general feels solves. 99% of the shit flinging in the review articles is around the numbers, and often a more basic failure of the reader to take the content of the review and simply decide how the game appears to fit their own tastes. Often times pros arent pros for everyone, just as cons are often not universally cons. We have to use our own heads, and I see the numbers getting in the way of that time and time again. As someone whose livelihood is based on statistics, there are more issues with treating those numbers as meaningful than I can count.

I would also answer yes - I think many gamers would love a hive mind. It's evident through their actions - mob harassment and review bombing being recent examples. The funny thing is, when a dev "censors" something naughty, gamers flip a shit and proclaim devs should be free and unconstrained in their expression, but when devs go uncensored and really gritty on things that arent busty women and masculine manliness then gamers try to censor it or push their personal agenda on it (by claiming it's pushing its agenda on them. Which is totally insane, hypocritical, and backwards. Don't buy it, play it, watch the movie, look at the art, etc. Rather than trying to tell the creator what their vision should be).

Whatever - I don't see gamer attitudes changing or reviewer legitimacy changing. It's an imperfect world and at the end of the day these are just games, meant to entertain in some way. No point in overanalyzing them

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

All that sounds like a strong case for removing scores and just discussing impressions and thoughts.

Yeah, the main things that interest me about games I buy these days:

How many bugs did the reviewer encounter?

Is it optimized well? How well does it run?

Is there ultrawide support? Or just 16:9?

All of that matters more to me than a score.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

I think all reviews exist as a suggestion...

If you don't give the review absolute power over your own interest it simply becomes a suggestion. To that end I don't worry too much about what reviews say, but I have also read bad reviews or played games that felt way off from what I read in the review.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xantufrog  Moderator

@KungfuKitten: um, that's backwards in so many ways. Firstly, the analogy between old racist or sexist tweets/comments/actions surfacing would be the gamers engaging in racist or sexist tweets/comments/actions. Aka, by your own logic, if it's ok to go after one group of people for doing it then gamers should be hunted down too. Pretty sure that's not the angle you were driving at

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

You know the rules,when you only have One system and have real emotional attachments to it(hah)and it’s games(hah)then every good reviews or score is gospel but any low score is bollox and that reviewers opinion ain’t worth shit HAH

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It's not just game reviews but modern culture in general. There are so many entitled crybaby snowflakes out there who want to cancel everyone and everything they disagree with, and for some unknown f*cking reason it actually works for them most of the time.

So take TLOU2 for example which has been been received very poorly by actual gamers. I'm supposed to believe that there's that much disconnect between what gamers and critics want out of this game?

What really happened here is critics wanted to stay on Sony's good side. They want the free review copies to keep coming in and the eventual free PS5 they'll get. They are also scared to give a low score to a game that features "progressive" characters regardless if the story and writing are awful.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts

halo gets a 10 awesome gamespot scores are dead on.

tlou 2 gets a 8 omg gamespot you suck at reviews because your not aloud to like this game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@xantufrog said:

@KungfuKitten: um, that's backwards in so many ways. Firstly, the analogy between old racist or sexist tweets/comments/actions surfacing would be the gamers engaging in racist or sexist tweets/comments/actions. Aka, by your own logic, if it's ok to go after one group of people for doing it then gamers should be hunted down too. Pretty sure that's not the angle you were driving at

Thing is, people change. And judging one by old comments is just wrong, especially when you take away their livelihood and damage them over a simple comment.

It's just wrong.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I don't trust any single reviews. You have to read multiple reviews to glean a true assessment of a game and that's how I always see it. There are some professional reviewers whose opinions I respect, but I'll still make up my own damn mind about the quality of a game as it applies to me personally and that's saying something. Remember this, reviewers are opinions and nothing more/less.

Let me say this. Very few journalists are anything less than activists masquerading as such, to the point finding people genuinely interested in reviewing games is harder and harder to find. There are a couple, but not many. When politics, gender representation, and other 'woke' criteria impact your review, your credibility is lost with me. The sad thing is, bonuses for developers are increasingly tied into critical scores. This means developers are becoming more and more beholden to people in games journalism who will view a game more negatively for not being political enough for their tastes. All integrity, IMO, is seemingly lost. I view trailers and videos of gameplay on youtube, then go from there. There are plenty of resources at one's disposal to make an informed decision, without becoming subjected to biases unrelated to actual gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I give professional reviewers more weight than I do user reviews personally. Last of Us 2 proved that again. It wasn't even released long enough to play and user reviews where giving it 1's, killing any weight they would have had. People scream "paid reviews" on every new game but sit back and look who's complaining everytime: the person who A: doesn't like the platform or game anyway, or B: is angry the review was too low. Both examples are biased anyway.

It's just like the news.. You don't get your news from one source anymore. You get multiple sources and gather information to form your own educated opinion. Same thing goes for game reviews. A concept that is clearly too difficult for some.

TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts

they never were to begin with

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xantufrog  Moderator

@briguyb13: that's one of the other reasons why his comment was backwards. Because it appears he shares your argument, but instead of advocating for things to be different, following the logic you described, he went with "well I should be able to ruin reviewers' lives then" which is just... doesn't make any sense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@xantufrog said:

@briguyb13: that's one of the other reasons why his comment was backwards. Because it appears he shares your argument, but instead of advocating for things to be different, following the logic you described, he went with "well I should be able to ruin reviewers' lives then" which is just... doesn't make any sense

Maybe he just meant something else or misspoke? I dunno.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xantufrog  Moderator

@briguyb13: eh, he can respond if he wants/if that's the case. I don't really care, just noting a "fair is fair" argument is pretty mixed up and random

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xantufrog  Moderator

@KungfuKitten said:

getting a little impatient with the bigotry among reviewers and review sites. Complaining about criticism after throwing insults at gamers and lying about what they say and what they mean, I have very little empathy for them. If they don't play fair

What is this referring to, out of curiosity? What bigotry and insults and lies and unfair play? I feel like I've missed some major event

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I think there's always going to be a place for critical reviews. Sometimes I'm on the fence with a game and I'm unsure if I'd want to buy it: I'd "wait for the reviews." I'm sure most of us have done that.

The problem is the kind of meta game nonsense fanboys get into and how people lean on numbers more than reading the contents of a review. Fanboys need to quit leaning so hefty on critic reviews and stop acting like critic reviews are definitive language towards the quality of a game.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

I don't believe it's a question of legitimacy a review is an opinion piece, that opinion is going to be influenced by personal taste, the political context in which the title is releasing, not to mention commercial considerations/behind the scenes interactions between publishers and media outlets.

I look for a reviewer who is chiefly concerned with does this entertainment product entertain? as in a reviewer who can put aside the fact that they are being paid for their opinion and take a step back and say "if I'm the average consumer did I come away from this product fulfilled? was the experience enjoyable? was it worth the price of entry?"

FWIW based on my own tastes usually when there is a disparity between user reception and critic reception, I find the user reception more often than not is what winds up being a more accurate guide.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#41 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@xantufrog said:
@KungfuKitten said:

getting a little impatient with the bigotry among reviewers and review sites. Complaining about criticism after throwing insults at gamers and lying about what they say and what they mean, I have very little empathy for them. If they don't play fair

What is this referring to, out of curiosity? What bigotry and insults and lies and unfair play? I feel like I've missed some major event

^_^ I'm sure it's nothing.

MamWomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MamWomen
Member since 2020 • 135 Posts

It depends who you choose to follow. Angry Joe for me is an annoying fat neckbeard hack, so I don't even view him. If you were angry at TLOU2 and he gave it a bad score, then it fits your narrative, of course you're going to side with him.

I read more sites like this one and IGN. However, ultimetly I form my OWN OPINION, which is what people don't usually do. Reviews are opinions, after all.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

I find reviews from people who are not metacritic accredited to be far more relatable to my taste.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

People are still allowed to have a personal opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@mamwomen said:

It depends who you choose to follow. Angry Joe for me is an annoying fat neckbeard hack, so I don't even view him. If you were angry at TLOU2 and he gave it a bad score, then it fits your narrative, of course you're going to side with him.

I read more sites like this one and IGN. However, ultimetly I form my OWN OPINION, which is what people don't usually do. Reviews are opinions, after all.

Actually you're simply judging him on his appearance alone. He has some very valid criticisms of TLoU2 that correlates with the series' biggest fans: how they shit on established and well-loved characters.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

They haven't been trustworthy for a long time. Certain publishers get a more generous review as 'favour' for providing an early review copy. If a website gives bad reviews and pisses off a publisher then that publisher might be reluctant to give a review copy in the future and the website looses out on early review content. Id always suspected it right back to before the internet when all we had was magazines but it was the whole K&L fiasco that sealed it for me.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

I leave this here

Loading Video...

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I think the only way to extract any real value from so called "professional" reviews is to follow specific reviewers and learn how their taste lines up with your own.

Websites don't really matter unless they do some kind of weird score by committee. If you follow a particular reviewer for long enough and learn what they like and don't like in games eg. how important they consider gameplay mechanics, polish, story, atmosphere etc. that can be extremely informative.

I know a 8/10 from some reviewers that is like a 9.5/10 from others. scores are kinda meaningless without that context.

I don't think 'professional 'reviewers opinions are necessarily more valid than anyone else, they are just generally able to better articulate their opinions and might have more context in terms of playing similar games to the one being reviewed to make comparisons (often but not always).

this comes from a former "professional" reviewer who received review copies and whose reviews appeared on metacritic (quit earlier this year)

EDIT: another thing to consider is that professional reviewers tend to rush through games which can often make them less enjoyable. A game that might work great in one-hour chunks here and there might become tedious if played for hours on end every day.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xantufrog  Moderator

@KungfuKitten: okey dokey then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Whenever a Sony exclusive is released you can always count on threads like this popping up.