Are PC GPUs soon to be more expensive due to new tax laws?

• 64 results
rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Are PC GPUs soon to be more expensive due to new tax laws? (35 votes)

Yes. 49%
No. 14%
Maybe. 31%

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/7/22217206/nvidia-amd-gpu-trump-tax-china-tariff-exemption-expire

“Don’t Build a High-End Gaming PC Right Now,” Tom’s Hardware declared in November. “This Is a Bad Time to Build a High-End Gaming PC,” ExtremeTech echoed last month. But it’s looking like the worst time to build a new gaming rig is still to come. That’s because a perfect storm is pushing the price of components like must-have Nvidia or AMD graphics cards even further skyward — and because Donald Trump is now part of that storm.

The Trump administration is now imposing a 25 percent tax on graphics cards imported from China, and at least one PC component manufacturer has announced it’ll pass along part of that cost to consumers.

We’ve known for two years that PC components were being swept up in Trump’s trade war on China. In 2018, GamersNexus, in particular, explained in depth how PC parts might see a price increase between 10 and 25 percent due to the categories the Trump administration tried to tax. Apple famously cozied up to Trump to avoid some (but not all) of the import taxes on PC parts, allowing it to build its Mac Pro in the United States using parts imported from China. (Apple didn’t reply to a request for comment on the tariffs.)

But PC gamers and other graphics card buyers also managed to dodge the bullet of higher prices back in September 2019, when the Trump administration granted specific exemptions for “graphics processing modules” and “accelerator modules.” And as The New York Times reported last week, the government extended many of its tariff exemptions until the end of the year.

There's way more in the article but I didn't really read it. lol

• 
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46274 Posts

Three deathblows to the PC GPU market:

• Scalpers buying up already very limited stock
  • Renewed interest in crypto currency mining
  • New import tarifs
rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

• New import tarifs

Maybe it just means that more people are gonna go for older gen cards. I don't know. Maybe just delay purchases for several weeks unless you use bots or get lucky with early pre-orders.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k

@rzxv04 said:

Maybe it just means that more people are gonna go for older gen cards. I don't know. Maybe just delay purchases for several weeks unless you use bots or get lucky with early pre-orders.

I'd like to score a RTX3000 card, and a PS5 too. But if I can't ... eh, not the end of the world.

More interest in something also means they'll ramp up production. At least that's what I'm being hopeful about in this situation.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I'll hold off to see if the tariff is revoked after the 20th. I have no problem playing on my current setup or consoles.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rzxv04

@R4gn4r0k said:
@rzxv04 said:

I'd like to score a RTX3000 card, and a PS5 too. But if I can't ... eh, not the end of the world.

More interest in something also means they'll ramp up production. At least that's what I'm being hopeful about in this situation.

Hopefully. I'm getting price fixing / fake scarcity ram flashbacks though.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@rzxv04 said:

lol we are finally in a situation where SSD prices have become affordable and great price/space wise

And now we are in a situation where GPU prices absolutely suck, and if you look at what scalpers are asking... bwahahaha

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rzxv04

@R4gn4r0k said:
@rzxv04 said:

lol we are finally in a situation where SSD prices have become affordable and great price/space wise

And now we are in a situation where GPU prices absolutely suck, and if you look at what scalpers are asking... bwahahaha

https://stockx.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-graphics-card-founders-edition-black

$ 775. Ooof. So around $ 540. $ 200+ profit. Less warranty too I suppose, if the oem even acknowledges it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k

@rzxv04 said:

https://stockx.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-graphics-card-founders-edition-black

$ 775. Ooof. So around $ 540. $ 200+ profit. Less warranty too I suppose, if the oem even acknowledges it.

People see scalping and bitcoin mining as easy money. That's why its such a popular, and easy, thing to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

PC gaming is dead, if I was a millionaire I still would give in to those prices. I have always been pro equality, I think about others.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

*not

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@rzxv04 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

• New import tarifs

People are under the impression they need the latest and greatest, and that's fine and all, but it's not necessary. The 1000 and 2000 series from Nvidia are still excellent cards, as are the equivalent from AMD.

Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but before my upgrade, my then six-year old GTX 980 was playing games like The Division 2, Far Cry 5, GTA V, and other demanding titles pretty well. 1080p with high-medium settings.

People need to remember that they play games for the games, the visuals are icing on the cake, and art direction is more important than technical showmanship (i.e. 4K, ray tracing, super-duper-quintuple-antialiasing or whatever...)

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rzxv04

@mrbojangles25 said:
@rzxv04 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

• New import tarifs

People are under the impression they need the latest and greatest, and that's fine and all, but it's not necessary. The 1000 and 2000 series from Nvidia are still excellent cards, as are the equivalent from AMD.

Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but before my upgrade, my then six-year old GTX 980 was playing games like The Division 2, Far Cry 5, GTA V, and other demanding titles pretty well. 1080p with high-medium settings.

People need to remember that they play games for the games, the visuals are icing on the cake, and art direction is more important than technical showmanship (i.e. 4K, ray tracing, super-duper-quintuple-antialiasing or whatever...)

True and to an extreme end, I still enjoy even older games that don't need the fancy cards.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The older cards are harder to find and more expensive now too. My local Microcenter GPU stock is damn near empty and what they do have is market up. Same with Newegg.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

With the latest rumors on Nvidia is thinking about releasing RTX "Super" 3080/3070 with all this crap going on with the price increase & scalpers/minors situation, I'll be surprise if those Super models will be within their MSRP range. And buying GPU from the black market/used market is out of the question as the sellers are jacking up the prices on last-gen GPU.

Looks like my trusty RTX 2070 will be staying with me until this blows. I'll just try to upgrade my CPU this year.

@R4gn4r0k said:

• New import tarifs

This is proof that budget PC's are hard to come by and kinda slowly dying if you ask me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@mrbojangles25: well-said

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

The older cards are harder to find and more expensive now too. My local Microcenter GPU stock is damn near empty and what they do have is market up. Same with Newegg.

Damn, you're right. That's depressing as hell :( Newegg selling a 1080 at $880 and a 1070 at $690...and they're out of stock.

I guess if you're buying a new card you really might as well get the newest iteration, they're essentially the same price. Maybe even cheaper if you're buying on a performance per dollar basis.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

@davillain- said:

With the latest rumors on Nvidia is thinking about releasing RTX "Super" 3080/3070 with all this crap going on with the price increase & scalpers/minors situation, I'll be surprise if those Super models will be within their MSRP range. And buying GPU from the black market/used market is out of the question as the sellers are jacking up the prices on last-gen GPU.

Looks like my trusty RTX 2070 will be staying with me until this blows. I'll just try to upgrade my CPU this year.

@R4gn4r0k said:

• New import tarifs

This is proof that budget PC's are hard to come by and kinda slowly dying if you ask me.

If Nvidia would release only a 'RTX3080' the situation would be worse with scalpers than if they flood the market with all kinds of different products:

RTX3090, RTX3080ti, RTX3080, RTX3070, RTX3070 super, RTX3060ti, RTX3060 ultra...

Scalpers don't know which is the most popular one so are not so sure what to buy.

Sure, they'll still buy up everything, as most of these are hot atm, but at least the situation is more confusing for them.

gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gtx021
Member since 2013 • 515 Posts

pc gaming is more expensice than ever

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Doesn’t that tax law only affect the US?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

I have always thought pc gamers are dumb for spending $1000 on a damn gpu. Theres so many nvidia fanboys out there too, all too happy to spend $1000, $2000 even $10000 for an over hyped piece of silicon. So no, this new tax won't affect anything, since these people will be all too happy to bend over for nvidia anyways. Let them pay the tax and the government collect some money to pay down our debt.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Thanks Trump.....

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Is Canada free of this mess? I don't want to pay $1000 for a 3070

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xantufrog  Moderator

@Juub1990: probably will affect more than the US through some ripple effects on the WW market, though.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#24 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Is Canada free of this mess? I don't want to pay $1000 for a 3070

good question... I just ordered a 3070 from a site that claims it has a bunch coming in for $760 in the hope it actually arrives and I don't have to find out the answer

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

It's shitty, but at what point do we stop supporting underage/slave labor making our electronics?

Loading Video...

When do we start coming off like selfish assholes complaining about consequences for this kind of behavior?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@hardwenzen: its getting a bit better, depending where you are.

I picked up a 3070 from a local shop, as they stopped putting stock numbers online.

The next day, someone I know who works there let me know that more had come in.

Meanwhile, the scalper prices on Kijiji have been falling steadily. Almost to the point where some are barely turning a profit.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Tell me though, what incentive do GPU manufacturers have for selling them at a lower cost if people are willing to buy the inflated price scalpers offer? People giving into scalpers giving the manufacturers ideas of charging more will have far more to do with raising the costs than any tariffs.

Besides, a little more costs is well worth it to not subsidize and reward slave/child labor that exists in China. IMO, any decent, self respecting western nation would ban trade with them completely until they cleaned up their act. There are other, more decent countries that can make things at low cost.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eoten
@topgunmv said:

It's shitty, but at what point do we stop supporting underage/slave labor making our electronics?

Loading Video...

When do we start coming off like selfish assholes complaining about consequences for this kind of behavior?

Nobody cares. They'd crack the whip themselves on those kids if it meant saving a few bucks. People who would put children through what China puts them through just to save a few dollars on their gaming hardware are the worst kind of people.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

i wonder. if the 4k series will be 400 watts... base clock

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@topgunmv:that's a fair point. So much of our consumer society has been built around getting the cheapest we can, regardless of how it came to pass, that we don't think about it often.

@eoten: I seriously doubt what you just said. Most people on here would NOT "crack the whip themselves" to save a buck. But getting "the cheapest" "the fastest" is so ingrained in our Western consumer culture, and we are so far removed from how the sausage is made, that I think most people don't know about half of the bad things that probably happened to ALLOW them to save a buck. And when we do learn of it it still feels somehow abstract and removed from our personal actions (even though mass spending changes could in fact exert a change for the better).

Anyway, just trying to be fair here - I don't think many people are thinking of these things and actively being malicious. It's good to bring up. I doubt it becomes more than abstract, though, for most of us.

I love animals, and I remember as a child wanting to be a vet. Now I had seen plenty of movies and shows with the grisly things that happen in veterinary practice, but I still hadn't INTERNALIZED it. It was gross imagery, but still somehow unreal and hypothetical. Then I interned under a farm vet for a few months, James Herriot style and holy shit reality was driven home. Dehorning cattle? Yeah... it's different when you are there. Birthing emergency? Yikes.

I think that's a similar challenge for things like these labor issues. You can be a good person and well-meaning and have a "negative reaction" to press and even real footage of child labor concerns. And still not really understand your connection and what it means until you wade into it and meet those people (which 99.99999% of us never will).

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eoten

@xantufrog: Well now every single person reading this thread knows. How many people do you think will change their minds?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@eoten: I addressed that aspect of the issue in like 2/3 of my post. I'm guessing you (as I have) have saved quite a few bucks, even if often unwittingly, at the expense of others. It's a pretty big issue that probably isn't going to be solved by accusing everyone around you of just being greedy

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xantufrog  Moderator

@gtx021: if I catch you posting porn on here again, we're going to have a longer talk

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Least of my concerns right now.

gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gtx021
Member since 2013 • 515 Posts

@xantufrog:

XD

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@gtx021: Not even funny at all. Consider this a final warning and we're not joking!

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Doesn’t that tax law only affect the US?

AIBs might use this as justification for a price increase globally. But right now, supply shortages are more a cause of concern than the US tariffs for people outside the US.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Possibly. Either way, we need to stop riding China's d*ck. They buy way too much debt, and we see what happens.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Eoten

@xantufrog said:

@eoten: I addressed that aspect of the issue in like 2/3 of my post. I'm guessing you (as I have) have saved quite a few bucks, even if often unwittingly, at the expense of others. It's a pretty big issue that probably isn't going to be solved by accusing everyone around you of just being greedy

It's certainly not going to be solved if people refuse to acknowledge the fact that China is a problem globally and within their own borders when it comes to human rights issues. People should care about that. If you want to make yourself feel better about rewarding that by claiming everyone does it, or that nothing can be done to stop it, then no, the problem will never get solved.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

How America killed the PC market.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Eoten

@Gaming-Planet said:

How America killed the PC market.

America? America is just one country that trades with China. How is it effecting anyone else? The only country with the power to effect PC part prices globally, is China themselves. That's the price you pay when you rely solely on one source for something like that. There isn't even a lot of electronics parts made in Taiwan or Korea anymore. How do you think that happened? And do you think it benefits the world for one entity to have full control over that market?

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

theverge

lol

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

I'm hoping things improve over time. I love PC, but I also want to see the US get away from an over-reliance on China to get what we need. As long as China manipulates currency, and publicly traded companies are legally obligated to make money for investors, corporations are going to take the bait.

I think companies expanding to other nations that need the industry (hopefully without abusing the labor) are going to have to be a necessity for supply anyway.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

So i decided to check the prices for my 1070. I bought it on ebay from a miner back in 2018 for a ridiculously low price (like $230CAD) and had a year and a half warranty since its an EVGA card. Now they're going for $350CAD on average and plenty are selling over $400CAD🤣Now that's some messedup shiz.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@eoten: I don't know what you're problem is - no part of my post was trying to "make myself feel better" or say we sweep it under the rug because everyone does it and nothing could be done. I very clearly said it was a good point and a tough problem and offered a possible explanation for why it happens that is more nuanced than your "you're all trash" assessment.

Get over yourself. You deactivated spontaneously, and came back to this place on your own. Odd behavior if you think everyone here is so inferior.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#47 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Looks like I won't be building that new rig anytime soon at this rate. Cant find any high-end CPUs or GPUs in stock anywhere and if you are lucky enough to, they are way over MSRP.

Avatar image for deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
Member since 2013 • 421 Posts

@hardwenzen: Now imagine being one of those clowns who were selling their 2080 Ti's for 500 bucks back in August, lol.

Meanwhile i'm still waiting for my RTX 3080 i back-ordered nearly 4 months ago.
The launch price (~750 Euro) is still valid, but the long-ass waiting made me lose all the excitement...

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rzxv04

@xantufrog said:

@topgunmv:that's a fair point. So much of our consumer society has been built around getting the cheapest we can, regardless of how it came to pass, that we don't think about it often.

@eoten: I seriously doubt what you just said. Most people on here would NOT "crack the whip themselves" to save a buck. But getting "the cheapest" "the fastest" is so ingrained in our Western consumer culture, and we are so far removed from how the sausage is made, that I think most people don't know about half of the bad things that probably happened to ALLOW them to save a buck. And when we do learn of it it still feels somehow abstract and removed from our personal actions (even though mass spending changes could in fact exert a change for the better).

Anyway, just trying to be fair here - I don't think many people are thinking of these things and actively being malicious. It's good to bring up. I doubt it becomes more than abstract, though, for most of us.

I love animals, and I remember as a child wanting to be a vet. Now I had seen plenty of movies and shows with the grisly things that happen in veterinary practice, but I still hadn't INTERNALIZED it. It was gross imagery, but still somehow unreal and hypothetical. Then I interned under a farm vet for a few months, James Herriot style and holy shit reality was driven home. Dehorning cattle? Yeah... it's different when you are there. Birthing emergency? Yikes.

I think that's a similar challenge for things like these labor issues. You can be a good person and well-meaning and have a "negative reaction" to press and even real footage of child labor concerns. And still not really understand your connection and what it means until you wade into it and meet those people (which 99.99999% of us never will).

Game over.

I hated that reality.

Something vaguely similar happened to me and it sucks.

Ignorance is truly bliss imo.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Eoten

@xantufrog said:

@eoten: I don't know what you're problem is - no part of my post was trying to "make myself feel better" or say we sweep it under the rug because everyone does it and nothing could be done. I very clearly said it was a good point and a tough problem and offered a possible explanation for why it happens that is more nuanced than your "you're all trash" assessment.

Get over yourself. You deactivated spontaneously, and came back to this place on your own. Odd behavior if you think everyone here is so inferior.

Did I say that? Where did I say that? You seem to enjoy putting words into my mouth. Did I say everyone was trash? No? I didn't. But I did say a lot of people do not care what goes on behind the scenes so long as they save a few bucks. And no, I don't think anyone on here was unaware that China uses child labor. That's fairly common knowledge.