Are multiplats underrated as opposed to exclusives?

DonaId

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DonaId
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts

Look at exclusives and how hyped and highly rated they get.

Final Fantasy was always an acclaimed series before it went multiplats with 13(well 13 had a female protagonist too so sexism is partially to blame as games with female protagonists tend to do poorly if done in third person).

Mass Effect Andromeda (well the original trilogy was a timed exclusive)

Not saying andromeda or 13+15 are the pinnacle of gaming or even their franchise but another example is the Tomb Raider games which are far better than uncharted games.

RDR2 lost a lot of GOTY exclusives to an exclusive

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@getyeryayasout: Yeah pretty much this.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Whether a game is multi-platform or an exclusive has absolutely no bearing on quality.

If they are hyped, it's because of marketing, and the idiots that are influenced by it. Rest assured, a game having a development budget of 50 million, a marketing budget of 150 million, and only works on one platform, doesn't make it a better game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
deactivated-5cab66ac558b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
Member since 2018 • 78 Posts

I disagree with the idea that Tomb Raider is better than Uncharted. RDR 2 lost because people preferred other games.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I wouldn't say they're under-hyped as much as I'd say some exclusives wouldn't get the recognition they do if they'd release as multiplatform titles.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@DonaId: Yeah sexism really kept FF13 down...what's up with all the lame worthless alts all of a sudden?

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Final Fantasy 13 was trash. Being trash keeps you down.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Wow, people still butthurt over gow beating rdr2?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Nope, multi just do not have quality control.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

I don't know if they're underrated, but they certainly are under appreciated on a forum like SW or in the console competition in general. They can't be used as ammo, so they aren't brought to the forefront very often.

Where were you when cow_epyon was making comparison threads aplenty when the PS4 was running games better than the XB1. don't you remember 900p vs 720p or 1080p vs 900p comparison threads?

Now we don't see many of these threads as cows are now losing the comparison battle, so yeah multiplats were heavily used during the first 4yrs of this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@getyeryayasout said:
@i_p_daily said:
@getyeryayasout said:

I don't know if they're underrated, but they certainly are under appreciated on a forum like SW or in the console competition in general. They can't be used as ammo, so they aren't brought to the forefront very often.

Where were you when cow_epyon was making comparison threads aplenty when the PS4 was running games better than the XB1. don't you remember 900p vs 720p or 1080p vs 900p comparison threads?

Now we don't see many of these threads as cows are now losing the comparison battle, so yeah multiplats were heavily used during the first 4yrs of this gen.

I had considered that, but didn't want my point being lost in the minutia. You have a fair point though.

Don't you mean minutiae? If so then when something is used for 4yrs its hardly small, trivial details when its been the majority part of this gen.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Exclusives have a different goal than multiplats which makes them more appealing. Multiplats are all about making the maximum $$$ for the company. In this day and age that translates to making massive games to keep people playing and paying for micro transactions.

The goal of exclusives is of course also to make money, but not as directly. Exclusives are supposed to be unique experience that brings people to a platform. It's not as important that the game itself makes the maximum. So platform holders give their developers a bit more creative freedom and do no push annoying business practices as much. Therefor exclusives have a different feel to them. More art, less greed which is nicer and leads to higher scores.

At least this is my theory :).

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Only under appreciated in a forum like SW honestly. The rest lf the world just plays good games and don’t care if they are exclusive to their consoles or not. Look at Resident Evil 2 and DMC 5. Great games on multiple platforms and selling well. 90% of the games I play are multiplats. The other 10% are Nintendo and Sony exclusives. I appreciate the multiplats more because I can play them on my pc and not have to worry about missing out because I don’t have the system or the PRO console to get decent performance out of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Exclusivity used to be much bigger in the ps2/xbox era, the Xbox 360 won over a lot of the Playstation exclusives because of the bigger user install base. Thanks to the Xbox 360's amazing sales the Xbox One was able to use those won over exclusives as a buffer and initiate their Games as a service model while their sales struggled. I think the posts above describe the situation pretty well. The freedom developers are given and the resulting quality of exclusives is undeniable, while there are plenty of just as good Multiplatform games out there it's hard to deny the character and soul exclusives can have with the right studios in charge.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

@i_p_daily: It's as big or as small as you make it. You seem fussy.

Fussy or not and for once, I once believe SW just got tired of DF threads and this is before Xbox One X came into the fray, they were getting less attention but once I saw GoldenElementXL latest DF thread, he sure prove me wrong SW still favors DF threads.

Back on topic. It just really depends on the game's concept here for the most parts but exclusives are the points because it most of the times guarantee to be a good game and I'm not talking about MS games cause they are mulitplats but they are still consider MS Exclusive however. One thing everyone likes about exclusive then multiplats it focus on single player and not so heavy on MP is what makes a good exclusive but Multiplats do get move here, Witcher 3 is a good example.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Sort of but not really... short answer...

Long answer it depends ont he generatio nand a number of other factors like competitors in the market and just the market in general....

So there's a lot of stuff going on here and it can easily go a number of different directions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@getyeryayasout said:

C'mon we're all a little fluffy, I mean fussy, I said fussy :P

@davillain- said:
@getyeryayasout said:

Fussy or not and for once, I once believe SW just got tired of DF threads and this is before Xbox One X came into the fray, they were getting less attention but once I saw GoldenElementXL latest DF thread, he sure prove me wrong SW still favors DF threads.

Back on topic. It just really depends on the game's concept here for the most parts but exclusives are the points because it most of the times guarantee to be a good game and I'm not talking about MS games cause they are mulitplats but they are still consider MS Exclusive however. One thing everyone likes about exclusive then multiplats it focus on single player and not so heavy on MP is what makes a good exclusive but Multiplats do get move here, Witcher 3 is a good example.

Nah SW didn't get tired of them, your mate zero knew the X was kicking the PRO's butt and suddenly he was too "busy" to do them, cows loved them when the PS4 was kicking it, now they hate them lol.

That's the truth and you know it.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@getyeryayasout: Actually, multiplats are all cows played for the first two years of the ps4 because their exclusives were garbage.

‘I picked the ps4 for 1080p multiplats, not Knack’ was their mantra for the longest time.’ But yea, after the X launched, *poof* they vanished.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@i_p_daily: @getyeryayasout: Actually, multiplats are all cows played for the first two years of the ps4 because their exclusives were garbage.

‘I picked the ps4 for 1080p multiplats, not Knack’ was their mantra for the longest time.’ But yea, after the X launched, *poof* they vanished.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Sevenizz: Cows are a very insecure fanbase because as soon as they lose just one advantage they lose their shit over it lol.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

People uses exclusive as ammo in these forum but when bashing nintendo we sometimes put multiplats as well. Not like they will ever get those

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11054 Posts

Look at exclusives and how hyped and highly rated they get.

Yes, in a world where Crackdown 3, The Order, Knack, and Sea of Thieves didn't exist.

Final Fantasy was always an acclaimed series before it went multiplats with 13(well 13 had a female protagonist too so sexism is partially to blame as games with female protagonists tend to do poorly if done in third person).

13 was too much of a shift in the wrong direction for the series. If half of your game is a tutorial, then you messed up. Anyone who actually played it knows this. 6 had a female protagonist and it's one of the best of the series. Ooops. There goes that theory. I can't ever remember a point in time when sexism lead to bad reviews.

Mass Effect Andromeda (well the original trilogy was a timed exclusive)

Mass Effect hasn't been a timed exclusive for two entries now. Are you upset that the last game fell apart? Argue on behalf of some games that didn't deserve to get shit on.

Not saying andromeda or 13+15 are the pinnacle of gaming or even their franchise but another example is the Tomb Raider games which are far better than uncharted games.

So why even bring them up? If they're not the pinnacle, then why whine about their reception? Tomb Raider got much better reviews with the reboot. Prior to that, the games had some OK to poor entries since I and II. It was pretty up and down. I mean, the series is on the second reboot for a reason.

RDR2 lost a lot of GOTY exclusives to an exclusive

You mean awards? Multiplats started losing overall GotY awards mainly this gen, due to third party pubs changing strategies away from making tight single player experiences to GaaSing everyone to death. That's why games like the Witcher 3 are beloved in comparison. I don't know what went wrong with RDR2, since I'm not buying it yet, but I've head more than enough complaints about the controls and handholding that probably kept it out of the top spot for many venues.

Do you actually play video games, or is this a stealth thread bellyaching about Sony getting accolades?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It really depends on the game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

On this forum, if you can't brag about the game being only available on your preferred system like a juvenile, then the game automatically sucks. :)

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

FFXIII was not the greatest Final Fantasy game. It also really sucks that games take so long to make these days that you only get 1 game per gen. Last gen we got FFXIII and 2 unwanted sequels. This gen we got FFXV with incomplete story that tried to save face and make $ via DLC. That's some bs and they better not screw up Final Fantasy XVI next gen

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@vaidream45 said:

Only under appreciated in a forum like SW honestly. The rest lf the world just plays good games and don’t care if they are exclusive to their consoles or not. Look at Resident Evil 2 and DMC 5. Great games on multiple platforms and selling well. 90% of the games I play are multiplats. The other 10% are Nintendo and Sony exclusives. I appreciate the multiplats more because I can play them on my pc and not have to worry about missing out because I don’t have the system or the PRO console to get decent performance out of it.

This right here. I've never had anyone in real life try to convince me that any system is better than another. When I was a kid/teen, everyone had different systems. We would usually gather at one house with all systems and switch up depending on which game we wanted to play. Even then with 3 to 4 systems in one room, nobody tried to talk up one system over the other. We just played games.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts
@getyeryayasout said:

Yeah basically this. TC your points have a lot of holes though. The examples used don't help your argument. RDR 2 got Uncharted 4 basically. Both were highly rated and mostly lost goty to other games. Cant complain when the game is one of the highest rated this gen. It did not matter if exclusive or not. Final Fantasy many will say they were better when they were Nintendo exclusives and some on playstation. The new ones have tapered off multiplatform or not. As stated above ofcourse SW only appreciate there exclusives.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

@vfighter: I never really cared about the female lead but as a FF game 13 had a really bad story and the characters felt empty compared to the previous games.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

No

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

The new Tomb Raider games suck, dude. Shadow of the Tomb Raider has been half off on Steam and PSN for months. I think people finally realized this new series is shit. Hopefully, they will try to make a fun game again with the next one. It's doubtful they will continue on this course after such poor sales.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2925 Posts

To me a game is a game. And a good game is a good game. I really don't care whether my favorite games are available on other platforms or not. Is the war still on? If I enjoy a good game, why shouldn't others? However, I do hate if there is a really good exclusive that I can't play because I don't own the platform. This gen I am missing out on exclusives such as Mario Odyssey and Zelda BOW. If I really, really want an exclusive game, I will buy the console needed. I bought a SNES solely to play Street Fighter 2, and Mass Effect was a strong reason for me to buy an xbox 360 instead of a PS3.

By the way, Benjamin Banklin is completely right about FF13. No sexism there, the game is just garbage compared to the previous iterations.