Are manitcores upgrading their PC or going to a Sony / MS console?

• 53 results
Avatar image for superfluousreal
Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) 2 months, 12 days ago

Poll: Are manitcores upgrading their PC or going to a Sony / MS console? (54 votes)

PC upgrades. 61%
XBOX NEXT. 7%
PS5. 24%
Nintendo ? 7%

I have been sat on a Core i5 3550 for several years and the most powerful GPU i used is the RX 570 (it's a great card for 1080P even now)

Moving to Ryzen 3000 series and AMD Navi, though i am also interested in RTX Super turing.

#1 Posted by Pedro (35472 posts) -

Its odd to make a "decision" when specs haven't been laid out for either system.

#2 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Its odd to make a "decision" when specs haven't been laid out for either system.

Not really, both seem to be exactly the same hardware, Ryzen + Navi.

#3 Posted by Random_Matt (4294 posts) -

Got rid of the X and PS4 quite a while ago. Thought I would try to live without a rig and it has not worked out, just waiting for X570 to arrive and then build another rig. No longer need PS or Xbox, they just do not offer enough.

#4 Posted by ToScA- (5775 posts) -

Can't they do both? Lol?

I'll definitely upgrade my system, but I am also very likely to get a PS5.

#5 Posted by tdkmillsy (3133 posts) -

No option for build new PC from scratch.

Which could be the option I take, but need to wait for specs and PC components available next year.

#6 Edited by Howmakewood (5952 posts) -

Upgrade, most likely buying ps5 once it has some games

#7 Edited by DaVillain- (37552 posts) -

"PC upgrades" is what I'm gonna be doing but that's only on the CPU side only. My RTX 2070 will serve me well for years to come.

#8 Edited by KungfuKitten (26743 posts) -

I seems like I don't really need to do either for next gen gaming.

I miiight want a PS5 if they announce enough cool stuff. But that is not a given. I was not 100% satisfied with my PS3 and PS4 purrchases.

I maaay want to upgrade my PC if there is a really cool PC game coming out that would push my hardware, AND some really cool hardware that would be an actual upgrade. But I haven't seen a game like that, yet. And I have a pretty good GPU. I am financially taking into account that I may want to upgrade my PC in about 1-2 years.

But since I may not need new hardware for a long time, I am looking at other fun stuff like light guns and such.

#9 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6486 posts) -

@Pedro said:Sony PlayStation Classic Console

The 5700 XT is a Navi GPU that will sell for $499 and is a 220w with 9.7TFLOPs.

Its more or less already clear as day that a 150w console Navi chip will be slower.

Also TDP of Zen 2 is pretty much laid out with a 65w for a 8 core 16 thread at 3.6GHz so a console varient will be under 3GHz to hit that sub 40w power draw.

SO yeah...

• Zen 2 8 core 16 thread 2.8-3GHz CPU
  • 16GB GDDR6
  • 1TB m.2 Sata4
  • Navi custom 5700 with slower clocks than a desktop varient due to TDP at anything from 8-10TFLOPS since its custom

Anyone with a 2700/8700 CPU and 16GB RAM can just upgrade to a 5700XT or a RTX 2070 and bam they have a next generation console.

#10 Posted by pyro1245 (5158 posts) -

Consoles are going to need some compelling exclusives before I buy them.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#11 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3352 posts) -

If you’ve built a midrange PC this year, you’re fine through next gen. These new consoles are gonna be a letdown spec wise. Mid tier 8 core CPU, RTX 2060-2070 GPU performance, and the most exciting part is the ssd. (Lol).

#12 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6486 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

If you’ve built a midrange PC this year, you’re fine through next gen. These new consoles are gonna be a letdown spec wise. Mid tier 8 core CPU, RTX 2060-2070 GPU performance, and the most exciting part is the ssd. (Lol).

ALso ray tracing... 4K/30 will still the norm but with obviously better visuals and games will hit 4K/60 if the developers intend but nothing a RTX 2060/2070 can't do when you apply the same console "optimisation" of lowering settings to medium-high.

I find it funny that people where hyping the whole 12-14TFLOP craziness and now they are no where to be found and where telling me I had no idea what I was talking about. Navi is not new its still essentially GCN and GCN is trash that requires a LOT of power even at 7nm to go over 9-10TFLOPS.

The fact that a 5700XT a $499 GPU is 9.7TFLOPS a year before the consoles launch is a BAD thing. These consoles can easily come with less than 9TFLOPS and be slower than even a 5700 Pro which is $399 and is meant to rival a 2060.

Also remember that a X1X had a custom polaris chip that was around the performance of a 580 that launched for less than $250 and that console was $499.

There is a reason why they aren't releasing TFLOPS... They are still working on custom chips to get the best out of them possible before they HAVE to start mass production but I HIGHLY doubt they can do much to push past 9-10TFLOPS with such low power limits of a console and with how hungry a 8 core Zen 2 chip is with all core boost.

Its going to be fun. Can you believe that there are plebs running around actually thinking 30FPS games won't be a thing next generation?...

#13 Posted by Ant_17 (12739 posts) -

MAnticores are just herms with a crap PC so they will buy a PS5 at least.

#14 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6486 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

MAnticores are just herms with a crap PC so they will buy a PS5 at least.

I am a manticore and my PC already beats next generation hardware... Not by choice though since if Nintendo and Sony exclusives where on PC I would never touch those horrible little boxes of plastic.

The only console I don't care about is a Xbox because a PC is now essentially a Xbox. I upgrade GPU's almost yearly so no console really will ever interest me again from a hardware perspective, I just look forward to seeing what the games will look like with the new hardware targets then I will just play those games on my PC if they are multi platform with better frame rates and settings do to have better hardware and the money to afford it.

#15 Edited by Gatygun (1561 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@goldenelementxl said:

ALso ray tracing... 4K/30 will still the norm but with obviously better visuals and games will hit 4K/60 if the developers intend but nothing a RTX 2060/2070 can't do when you apply the same console "optimisation" of lowering settings to medium-high.

I find it funny that people where hyping the whole 12-14TFLOP craziness and now they are no where to be found and where telling me I had no idea what I was talking about. Navi is not new its still essentially GCN and GCN is trash that requires a LOT of power even at 7nm to go over 9-10TFLOPS.

The fact that a 5700XT a $499 GPU is 9.7TFLOPS a year before the consoles launch is a BAD thing. These consoles can easily come with less than 9TFLOPS and be slower than even a 5700 Pro which is $399 and is meant to rival a 2060.

Also remember that a X1X had a custom polaris chip that was around the performance of a 580 that launched for less than $250 and that console was $499.

There is a reason why they aren't releasing TFLOPS... They are still working on custom chips to get the best out of them possible before they HAVE to start mass production but I HIGHLY doubt they can do much to push past 9-10TFLOPS with such low power limits of a console and with how hungry a 8 core Zen 2 chip is with all core boost.

Its going to be fun. Can you believe that there are plebs running around actually thinking 30FPS games won't be a thing next generation?...

Also PC gamers sit on 1080p mainly for the simple fact of fast fps and there isn't much need for 4k in general on PC doesn't add much other then a way to big screen that simple isn't comfortable.

If they focus on 4k it's making the requirements for PC a joke really.

Which is basically a 200 buck gpu out of the year 2017.

#16 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25456 posts) -

If PS5 has BC, I'll pick up a PS5 near the beginning of the gen. My PC already has almost the highest specs possible right now. If the PS5 has no BC, then I likely won't be getting it until it becomes super cheap. Only reason I would get it is to play all the PS4 exclusives like Bloodborne, and God of War from this gen. Otherwise, I don't care about consoles.

#17 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6486 posts) -

@Gatygun said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Also PC gamers sit on 1080p mainly for the simple fact of fast fps and there isn't much need for 4k in general on PC doesn't add much other then a way to big screen that simple isn't comfortable.

If they focus on 4k it's making the requirements for PC a joke really.

Which is basically a 200 buck gpu out of the year 2017.

Resolution and graphical features that consoles cant fully handle will the reason why next generation will be filled with games running at 20-30FPS, These developer will chose to put Ray Tracing in there games with 30FPS targets at 4K but due to the GPU these consoles have unless they are talented developers or first party developers the framerates will be all over the place because ray tracing changes its impact more than anything from scene to scene depending on the TOD.

I agree with they target 4K/30-4K/60 with next generation games on mid tier Navi cards then 1440/144Hz gamer's will be happy since they will be playing the same game console gamers will be running at 4K/30 at 60+ FPS with ease on the same hardware or lower and if you have the money you can out power those Navi GPU's with a RTX 3080 when it comes out at play the games they play at 4K/30 at 4K/60.

Its going to be another PS4/X1 launch in terms of GPU hardware when they launched with 7850's and 7790's... Won't take long before the hardware is considered low-mid range on PC. I give these console 2 years before console gamer's are begging for a more powerful GPU PS5 Pro so they can play games with Ray Tracing and better framerates.

#18 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8656 posts) -

Getting a ps5 most likely and upgrading my pc.

#19 Posted by XVision84 (16329 posts) -

Going to see how long my 2080 ti lasts me before I upgrade. Only thing I plan on upgrading soon is ram to 32gb if the games start demanding higher amounts.

Will get a PS5 and maybe Nintendo's next console if it's as good as the Switch.

#20 Posted by firedrakes (1970 posts) -

also not mention but almost all games using ray tracing now... which is less then 10. use it for a very spefic thing. not the whole game. seeing wait for it ray tracing been around for a long time. let be honest nvidia half as it. seeing a whole industry uses it. and i follow their word much better then a gpu maker. the cgi movie industry (not vfx)

#21 Posted by Randoggy (3473 posts) -

Just upgraded my PC, still getting a Ps5.

#22 Edited by KBFloYd (21892 posts) -

i dont think i even have to upgrade my Pc and i will still be miles ahead

got a 1080ti and skylake i7 6700k 4 ghz

#23 Posted by lundy86_4 (53643 posts) -

I'll have a PS5, obviously for the exclusives. With MS, there's no need, and I can still appreciate the games they bring... I have an i7-7700k and RTX2080, so i'll probably do an upgrade in a couple years.

#24 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

4 cores and 8 threads are not miles ahead at all.

#25 Edited by KBFloYd (21892 posts) -

@superfluousreal said:
@KBFloYd said:

when games only use 1 or 2 cores at best?

only reason for anything more than quad core is for editing videos and stuff. for gaming its not useful.

unless game developers change the way they code games next gen.

#26 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@superfluousreal said:
@KBFloYd said:

only reason for anything more than quad core is for editing videos and stuff. for gaming its not useful.

You must have been sleeping under a rock for the last 5 years if you think games only use 1 or 2 cores, or a liar.. which is even more impressive to hold up a facade.

#27 Posted by osan0 (15452 posts) -

a little of both.

with having a 4K screen and taking the plunge on VR with the index my PC will be due a few upgrades. the ol RX 580 is a fine 1080P GPU. 4K though....not so much (it did run pillars of eternity at 4K just fine mind :P).

i wont be rushing out for upgrades though. right now is not a great time to buy. i'm going to see how my 580 deals with the index but i think i will be getting a new GPU next year. hopefully things will be better then. when i get that it'll also be a new case (my current case is 10 years old and garbage) and power supply (also nearly 10 years old so to be replaced as a precaution).

console wise i have the switch and i think i will get a PS5. i never got a PS4 so if the PS5 has full BC i plan to get that and raid the PS4 backlog.

#28 Edited by KBFloYd (21892 posts) -

@superfluousreal said:
@KBFloYd said:
@superfluousreal said:
@KBFloYd said:

You must have been sleeping under a rock for the last 5 years if you think games only use 1 or 2 cores, or a liar.. which is even more impressive to hold up a facade.

here is an article from last month https://www.quora.com/How-many-cores-do-games-use

"older games will utilize one or at most 2 threads at a time.

More recently developed games like many on the unreal and unity engines will utilize up to 4 threads with little extra work done, spreading the workload across better although they can also run off just one or two threads."

#29 Edited by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@superfluousreal said:
@KBFloYd said:
@superfluousreal said:

here is an article from last month https://www.quora.com/How-many-cores-do-games-use

More recently developed games like many on the unreal and unity engines will utilize up to 4 threads with little extra work done, spreading the workload across better although they can also run off just one or two threads."

Loading Video...

#30 Edited by KBFloYd (21892 posts) -

@superfluousreal said:
@KBFloYd said:
@superfluousreal said:
@KBFloYd said:

Loading Video...

some ryzen propaganda video? telling people to upgrade to ryzen? lol

look more cores is better but its not hugely important for gaming yet. you get maybe 5fps more at most.

its my belief that next gen consoles are using 8 cores for casuals to say "oooh" super upgrade!

#31 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@superfluousreal said:
@KBFloYd said:
@superfluousreal said:
@KBFloYd said:

Loading Video...

some ryzen propaganda video? telling people to upgrade to ryzen? lol

look more cores is better but its not hugely important for gaming yet. you get maybe 5fps more at most.

its my belief that next gen consoles are using 8 cores for casuals to say "wow"

Well you clearly never watched the video if it is only 5 FPS in your mind, you are delusional, i am happy with that.

#32 Posted by with_teeth26 (9594 posts) -
@howmakewood said:

Upgrade, most likely buying ps5 once it has some games

yup also my plan

#33 Posted by sakaiXx (5926 posts) -

Buy PS5

#34 Edited by BassMan (10572 posts) -

PC will always be my primary. I have no interest in Scarlett because PC is the best Xbox. I will get a PS5 for exclusives and I will play Nintendo games through emulators on PC.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#35 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4914 posts) -

I'm doing PC and PS5. In fact, I'm upgrading my system this week. I'm getting a RTX 2060 and a Ryzen 5 2600x. I'm not breaking the bank, but it's a significant upgrade to what I've been working with thus far. The 1060 and i5-2500k just weren't cutting it anymore. LOL!

#36 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44150 posts) -

Objectively speaking, I am sticking with PC because with Xbox games (and PS games?) essentially coming out on PC and PS exclusives being underwhelming, I don't see any reason to get a PS5. PS4 was fun but I've honestly spent time with single games on PC that dwarfs the cumulative time I've spent on PS4, which says a lot.

Consoles have been very underwhelming for the current generation and I don't really see that improving or changing in the future. If you care about games at all and aren't a blind fanboy, you'd probably build or upgrade your PC.

Only thing driving console sales these days seems to be brand loyalty; you can see that in the Microsoft E3 presentation, which was lackluster, and the SONY presentation, which was nonexistent. It's pretty obvious they take their playerbases for granted at this point.

#37 Posted by mazuiface (917 posts) -

I'll most likely do PC and PS5.

#38 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1312 posts) -

Both, 'cos I can.

#39 Posted by Xabiss (2854 posts) -

Easy answer all of the above so I don't have to choose. :P

#40 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -

lol manticores

#41 Edited by OmegaTau (894 posts) -

As always keep my rig upgraded and get sony and nintendo consoles

#42 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Its more or less already clear as day that a 150w console Navi chip will be slower.

Also TDP of Zen 2 is pretty much laid out with a 65w for a 8 core 16 thread at 3.6GHz so a console varient will be under 3GHz to hit that sub 40w power draw.

SO yeah...

• 16GB GDDR6
  • 1TB m.2 Sata4
  • Navi custom 5700 with slower clocks than a desktop varient due to TDP at anything from 8-10TFLOPS since its custom

Anyone with a 2700/8700 CPU and 16GB RAM can just upgrade to a 5700XT or a RTX 2070 and bam they have a next generation console.

5700 XT has 9.75 TFLOPS

5700 XT AE has 10.14 TFLOPS

NAVI TFLOPS are not comparable to GCN's TFLOPS due to wavefront size difference.

wave32 length = NAVI or RDNA. NVIDIA's warp length is 32.

wave64 length = GCN.

#43 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8656 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

yep that destroys consoles

#44 Posted by Random_Matt (4294 posts) -

XT anniversary should of been the base standard, would be a bad ass card at $349.

#45 Posted by Bond007uk (925 posts) -

My PC needs three upgrades to bring it up to the mark. All of which I hope to do over the next two months.

A new PSU, probably a Seasonic 700W

Either a RTX 2070 or 2080

More storage. Possibly a 2TB SSD

#46 Posted by Horgen (120916 posts) -

I'll stick to my PC as main gaming tool. Will most likely get a PS5 if there is a slim or pro version coming and 100% BC with PS4 and can transfer the games I've bought from PSN to PS4 over to PS5.

#47 Posted by IgGy621985 (5534 posts) -

I got my Vega 56 recently. It'll do its job with the upcoming PC/multiplat games. And I'm not planning to get a next-gen console for at least two more years.

#48 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6486 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

SO yeah...

• 16GB GDDR6
  • 1TB m.2 Sata4

5700 XT has 9.75 TFLOPS

NAVI TFLOPS are not comparable to GCN's TFLOPS due to wavefront size difference.

wave64 length = GCN.

Shut up.

The AE is a overclocked XT which is already at 220w. The coming consoles will be lucky to get 9TFLOPs based on TDP alone and not factoring in price. Navi is still essentially GCN which is the main reason why TDP is crap... I called this prior to the launch, of course it doesn't matter because TFLOPs never tell the full story BUT GCN is still deep within Navi and I cant wait till they scrap it. If 40 CUs gets us 220w a full 64 CU chip would turn a PC into Chernobyl.

#49 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

SO yeah...

• 16GB GDDR6
  • 1TB m.2 Sata4

5700 XT has 9.75 TFLOPS

wave64 length = GCN.

Shut up.

The AE is a overclocked XT which is already at 220w. The coming consoles will be lucky to get 9TFLOPs based on TDP alone and not factoring in price. Navi is still essentially GCN which is the main reason why TDP is crap... I called this prior to the launch, of course it doesn't matter because TFLOPs never tell the full story BUT GCN is still deep within Navi and I cant wait till they scrap it. If 40 CUs gets us 220w a full 64 CU chip would turn a PC into Chernobyl.

Fukoff

Microsoft created their own power curve profile and customization for X1X to deliver 6 FLOPS GPU instead of 185 watts RX 580 (6.1 TFLOPS) config. Microsoft avoided excessive electron leakage clock speed range by lowering clock speed and added more CUs.

Furthermore. MS's hardware accelerated ray-tracing (MS's DXR) reveal placed Scarlet's GPU into the second NAVI revision.

STFU.

#50 Posted by uninspiredcup (34379 posts) -

Having owned a PS4, it had been deeply unimpressive.

PC is for winners.