are jrpg's better than wrpg's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I haven't played much japanese rpg's. my rpg lover freinds recommend me jrpg's over western rpg's saying jrpg's are superior rpg.

Are jrpg's better than wrpg's?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

Both of them offer great games.

Although I would put WRPG over JRPG this gen.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Each genre has their hits every now and then. For example this gen offerred Mass Effect 2 and The Witcher 2 on the WRPG end and Persona 4 and Xenoblade on the JRPG end. All great games.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

It depends on your tastes, if you prefer a unique and complex battle system or an engaging story you would probably like JRPGs, if you like exploration and customization you would probably like WRPGs. There is a reason they arent just called "RPGs" because they are pretty much a different genre.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
They're really two different types of RPG's. JRPG's focus on more structure linear gameplay and a variety of battle systems while WRPG's tend to focus more on open world gameplay with customization and action based combat. Play the best the genres have to offer and decide for yourself. If you want me to suggest from top tier JRPGs just say so. I perfer JRPGs.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts
Uh, guys, it's indzman. He used to make RPG threads all the time.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I like both, but I do prefer JRPGs over WRPGs.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Uh, guys, it's indzman. He used to make RPG threads all the time.Planeforger

i love rpg's =P

majestixzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 majestixzero
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

jrpg mostly have powerful side-bosses than story boss(but its plus for gamers who like challenge that is making them unique + lotsa customization issues)

due to their graphics sometimes (they have no lag issues who using 2D or Animated 3D but still dont know about it for other games)

+ its DLC friendly[just extra clothes/weapons] that really never affect the story(except for FF13-2)

bad side is Grinding(to level 99 or 9999) if you have lot of time to grind oh well....play it

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Ah yes one of these "JRPG vs WRPG" threads what could possible go wrong.

Anyways JRPG this gen a pretty crap save for Xenoblade chronicles , last story and a couple others.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

I haven't played much japanese rpg's. my rpg lover freinds recommend me jrpg's over western rpg's saying jrpg's are superior rpg.

Are jrpg's better than wrpg's?

indzman

JRPGs are garbage. When western developers perfected the style of WRPGs, they all but forced JRPGs out of the market (except Japan).

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Some are good, some are bad. Console JRPGs have sucked this gen but overall I would give them the edge

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

The long & short answer is... No but I do like me some JRPG's. :P

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

To follow the ignorance in this thread. Only play WRPG's if you like crappy rehashed old fantasy themes with mindless hack N slash gameplay or boring Sci Fi 3rd person shooters masked as an RPG.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Oh boy, here we go.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Some are, some aren't.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

That's obviously subjective.

WRPGS are 100x better imo.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
dragon quest 8 is better than all wrpgs so yes... yes they are
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

JRPGs are better

Can't play alot WRPGs since most of them have terrible gameplay, story, graphics, voice acting and music

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 parkurtommo
If u like pink, girly, barbie games then sure. because thats what most JRPGs are. based on anime and I hate Anime to death.SNIPER4321
And WRPGS are good if you like brown, desaturated, generic environments, because that's what most of them are. Based on western culture and *someone* hates western culture to death. See what I did there.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Depends on the game, but I play more JRPGs than WRPGs.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]If u like pink, girly, barbie games then sure. because thats what most JRPGs are. based on anime and I hate Anime to death.SNIPER4321
And WRPGS are good if you like brown, desaturated, generic environments, because that's what most of them are. Based on western culture and *someone* hates western culture to death. See what I did there.

I dont like WRPGs either beside few of them.

Umm.. OK!
game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts
What I considered to be a good WRPG would be Mass Effect 1. It had customization, a good narrative, lots of choices you could make throughout the game that would "seemingly" cross over to the next game, and 3rd person shooter gameplay which also required customizations and it didn't overpower the RPG aspects of the game. When the sequels came out, the RPG aspects got thrown right out the window in interest for 3rd person shooting so I don't really consider the sequels RPGs. Borderlands felt more RPG-like than the Mass Effect 2 & 3. But I digress. JRPGs haven't had the same amount of review success as it did in the previous gen but I do like myself a good JRPG for its combat and although linear story-driven narrative. Honestly, really depends on tastes.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
JRPGs have been pretty consistent this gen. WRPGs have really fallen from grace compared to previous gens.
ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
Both are different, but both are awesome. I shall remain ambiguous lol
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
The Witcher and Witcher 2 are really the only WRPGs this generation that compare favorably to the likes of Xenoblade Chronicles, Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Tales of Graces f, Persona 4, or any of the great Japanese SRPGs (Fire Emblem, Disgaea, FF Tactics, Valkyria, etc). In my eyes games like ME 1-3, Dragon Age 1-2, Amalur, Human Revolution, and Fallout 3+New Vegas are all vastly overrated.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

This Gen JRPG's have been mostly bad... so RPG's outside of japan have been better...

but before this generation Jrpg was rocking.. now....... well now everything is more about big boobs and character relationship than a good adventure story with world map and exploration like they used to make.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

The Witcher and Witcher 2 are really the only WRPGs this generation that compare favorably to the likes of Xenoblade Chronicles, Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Tales of Graces f, Persona 4, or any of the great Japanese SRPGs (Fire Emblem, Disgaea, FF Tactics, Valkyria, etc). In my eyes games like ME 1-3, Dragon Age 1-2, Amalur, Human Revolution, and Fallout 3+New Vegas are all vastly overrated.famicommander

That's funny.... Xenoblade , lost odyssey , tales of graces and persona 4 are the games that are vastly overrated...... i haven't played any of the wrpg you mentioned except for Deus EX and that game is anything but overrated... you just have strong preference on jrpg's that you would neglect anything else out there. Especially Xenoblade.. though the environment is gorgeous the quest are horrid and tedious ... the enemies lack variety.. the combat is pretty bad.. lets be honest.. is horrible... it needs outstanding improvement... and the story was actually quite good.. until the 7th character got there.. then everything just became about her and her boyfriend instead of the world itself.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts

[QUOTE="famicommander"]The Witcher and Witcher 2 are really the only WRPGs this generation that compare favorably to the likes of Xenoblade Chronicles, Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Tales of Graces f, Persona 4, or any of the great Japanese SRPGs (Fire Emblem, Disgaea, FF Tactics, Valkyria, etc). In my eyes games like ME 1-3, Dragon Age 1-2, Amalur, Human Revolution, and Fallout 3+New Vegas are all vastly overrated.Joedgabe

That's funny.... Xenoblade , lost odyssey , tales of graces and persona 4 are the games that are vastly overrated...... i haven't played any of the wrpg you mentioned except for Deus EX and that game is anything but overrated... you just have strong prefference on jrpg's that you would neglect anything else out there.

Not even close. Human Revolution doesn't even deserve to be called Deus Ex. It isn't one tenth of Spector's masterpiece. I have no bias against WRPGs. I have a bias against crappy ones. I loved Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Ultima, Icewind Dale, Fallout 1 and 2, Diablo II, etc. But Witcher aside WRPGs have been trending away from complex gameplay.
SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
In my opinion, yes, but also, there have been a lot of good JRPGs this gen. The World Ends With You Tales of Graces f Tales of Xillia FInal Fantasy IV DS Remake Crisis Core Revenant Wings Birth by Sleep Dragon Quest VI-IX Tactics Ogre Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon Persona 4 The Operation Rainfall Games Valkyria Chronicles 1-3 DeviL Survivor Disgaea 3-4 and the Atetlier Series
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
love both, but as a general rule I prefer WRPGs
Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

Maybe not better, but at least there different, you'd never get a game like Ni No Kuni made in the West

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23992 Posts

As a general rule I prefer WRPGs, but this gen mainstream WRPGs went down the toilet and started sucking more and more. Now their stink is so bad it poisons genres around them.

Nowdays, most mainstream wRPGs arent RPGs anymore, instead they are incredibly poor imitations of either akshun games or mmorpgs. Serious identity issues and the lack of doing anything well kills garbage like Skyrim, ME(diocre) and Dragon Age: Origins.

JRPGs havent dwindled down in quantity quite a bit on consoles, but games like Recettear, The Last Story, Rune Factory and Valkyria Chronicles makes me forgive the lower quantity of JRPGs.

That is not to say there are no good WRPGs though. Eschalon, Drakensang the river of time, King's Bounty, Mask of the Betrayer, New Vegas and the Guild Wars expansions means wRPGs are doing fine as well.

Overall, they excell at different things and there is room for both in the industry.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#36 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Honestly I like both but jrpgs are better imo. It has to do with the fact that I like a game that doesn't really involve desaturated environments and realistic characters that I see face-to-face in real life already. I wouldn't mind a wrpg with colors and environmentslike an anime game though, it might be cool to have something like that.