ashtontheguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 ashtontheguru
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts

I don't think their a scam at all, I think with older games they breath new life into the multiplayer as a lot of older games no longer have their servers running or the communities have died.

But their not all positive as I think some of them can barely be classified as HD remakes when all they do is bump up the resolution as opposed to improving the actual textures.

I think if all HD remakes received the same treatment as Super Street Fighter HD Remix. They would be a lot more popular and praised higher.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

HD versions for consoles are alright.

But after a year?! Seriously? Remakes of old PS1/PS2 games fair enough, but this Tomb Raider and possibly Last of Us re-releases are a joke. Do they take us for suckers?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Okay, go download the original Baldur's Gate and then download the Enhanced Edition. Take screen shots and then compare them side by side. I bet the latter looks MUCH better.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

@airshocker said:

Okay, go download the original Baldur's Gate and then download the Enhanced Edition. Take screen shots and then compare them side by side. I bet the latter looks MUCH better.

But the original can be modded. Such is the incredible power of the pc (very impressive).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@uninspiredcup said:

@airshocker said:

But the original can be modded. Such is the incredible power of the pc (very impressive).

And you have the choice to use those mods or buy the Enhanced Edition. That's not a scam. That's competition.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@kipsta77 said:

But after a year?! Seriously? Remakes of old PS1/PS2 games fair enough, but this Tomb Raider and possibly Last of Us re-releases are a joke. Do they take us for suckers?

Wait, what's wrong with buying those games if you haven't played them before? Are you seriously complaining about the fact that games are getting released on newer systems?

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Future of consololites: Super Dooper Ultra HD Remake of the Super Ultra HD Remake of the Ultra HD Remake of the Full HD Remake of The HD Remake of..........well you get the idea. That's how consololites will going to count their exclusives from now on.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The only thing that upsets me about a possible TLOU remake is that I didn't wait and played the game on PS3. There were many times while playing through it on PS3 that I wished the game was released on better hardware. The frame rate and AI was pretty rough in many spots. I felt the same way with GTA V which is why I hope they bring it to PC where it belongs. Count me out on TLOU HD'er remake though since I finished it already. That's not really a game I would want to play over and over again.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@CajunShooter said:
@clr84651 said:

PS2 games are SD, so making them HD and re-releasing them is fine. PS3 games are already HD, so re-releasing them is milking consumers.

So what about the customers that didn't own a PS3 and now own a PS4, which is clearly the target audience for this type of game? Are these the people that are getting milked?

It's called milking something when different versions of it get released multiple times for more money or when games are made that they release add ons that should be free like new outfits and characters. Like Dead Space sold outfit and weapon packs that people could buy that made the game easier to play. It's called milking a product like when people tell someone that's taking longer on something than necessary that they're milking it.

I would say the product is being milked more than the consumer with people like you mentioned, but with DLC it's both.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By clr84651

@Nengo_Flow said:
@clr84651 said:

PS2 games are SD, so making them HD and re-releasing them is fine. PS3 games are already HD, so re-releasing them is milking consumers.

There hasnt been any PS3 games HD collections.

Releasing it on multiple systems is milking the product for all it's worth. With DLC it's milking both the consumer and the product.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@clr84651 said:

So rereleasing a game in 720p that was originally 480 is ok but rereleasing a game that was 720p in 1080p is bad.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#112 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

No, unless they are full price.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#113 iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

Not at all, some people never gotten a chance to play those game before.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:
@clr84651 said:

Releasing it on multiple systems is milking the product for all it's worth. With DLC it's milking both the consumer and the product.

Yes release a game on more systems is called a port. The Last of Us coming to the PS4 is a port.

But im referring to what you said the PS3 games are already HD some it doesnt make sense to port them to another system.

Its no different then how a whole bunch of 360 got ported to the PS3 last gen after being 360 exclusive, or how some PC games got ported to the PS3 (DC Universe, Diablo) and PS4 (Planet Side 3, Warframe).

Again........ why are people complaining. Last time I check, even before TLoU release last year people kept asking for to be on the PS4. They simply did what people were asking. The whole reason that game is coming to the PS4 is becuz people kept asking for it.

#2- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY THEM AGAIN IF YOU DONT WANT TO. They did not rip you off when the original version of that game came out, so you cant call it a scam. I bought TLoU when it came out day one, now its coming to the PS4. So? I was not ripped off. It would be a rip off if the PS3 version had content held back becuz they knew all along they were going to do a PS4 version with better everything and more content. Then yes, i would feel ripped off.

Being ripped off or scammed is not opitiona ports of game, it more like how M$ charged for online last gen or how M$ controlled the HDD for the 360, how for the X1 you have to buy a thing just to use a mic. A Rip off or scam is how Nintendo exclusive game never go down in price, of how like the PS3 controller cost $55-$60 all gen and still to this day. Capcom DLC bullshit, Forza higly overpriced DLC content. Things you need, things you already have but have a hard barrier of cost, or simply things just unjustifiably cost way too much falls into the realm of rip off and scam.

Things like Kinect (last gen), Move, HD collections, PS4 camera, peripherals, add-ons, optional things are not rip offs or scam (unless they are over priced).

Milking is subjective at this point. If people want it and are asking for it, and then later the follow through and buy it, you cant say that the company only did it to fool the fans out of more money, its becuz people kept wanting it so its a win-win situation.

Things like COD were people have been asking for it to stop or slow down, is milking. Things like Marioa were that franchise is being stretched on to every type of genre and how Nintendo feels like the have to have Mario in everything and everywhere cuz they cant creat something new, thats milking the brand.

Milking a series (Cod, Ass Creed), milking the Brand (Mario) and milking consumers are all different things. People have to understand that first.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#115 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Taking a 1 year old game and "updating" it for the PS4 / Xbone and charging full price = Money Grab.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#116 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

It's good for people who didn't have the oportunity do get them earlier (i'll get TLoU for PS4), and some games deserve to be played with better performance, like GTAV.

They shouldn't be full price, though.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Only if you didn't own the game already. I've gotten some great deals on PS2 games I missed out on by buying HD packs.

Avatar image for 777hedonist7666
777Hedonist7666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#118 777Hedonist7666
Member since 2014 • 30 Posts

@kipsta77 said:

It's a rule of thumb that console consumers are taken for suckers and squeezed for every red cent.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#119 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11234 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

@clr84651 said:

TLOU is in 720p and runs 2 X AA... like every other PS3 game. Dx9-level of graphics too. If it was remade in 1080p (twice the resolution), 4 X AA and Dx11 effects like tessellation it would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. Not so vast that it would make me buy it again on PS4... Actually yes it would. its TLOU. in much better graphics. top 3 GOAT.

I never played TLOU so I would definitely pick it up for the PS4, but I may wait for a price drop. Gamers only benefit from HD remakes (if done right).

All the HD remakes I have seen have been done right.

Metal Gear collection

Final Fantasy X/X2

God of War collection 1 + 2

all of those looked absolutely great. blurry pixelated messes that cut my eyes on PS2, but sharp and clean looking on PS3.

Honestly I'm that much of a graphics-hoe but if the image is blurry and low res with no AA I can't stand it. sharp, clean image quality is a must for me. High quality textures, dynamic lighting, dynamic shadows, advanced-AA, tessellation, high polygon count, advanced shading etc are a huge plus, but not necessary by any means.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

Yeah. They're making a lot of money just for a simple remaster. They ask too much for something that low cost, in comparison to making the game.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By clr84651

@Nengo_Flow said:

@clr84651 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:
@clr84651 said:

Yes release a game on more systems is called a port. The Last of Us coming to the PS4 is a port.

But im referring to what you said the PS3 games are already HD some it doesnt make sense to port them to another system.

Its no different then how a whole bunch of 360 got ported to the PS3 last gen after being 360 exclusive, or how some PC games got ported to the PS3 (DC Universe, Diablo) and PS4 (Planet Side 3, Warframe).

Again........ why are people complaining. Last time I check, even before TLoU release last year people kept asking for to be on the PS4. They simply did what people were asking. The whole reason that game is coming to the PS4 is becuz people kept asking for it.

#2- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY THEM AGAIN IF YOU DONT WANT TO. They did not rip you off when the original version of that game came out, so you cant call it a scam. I bought TLoU when it came out day one, now its coming to the PS4. So? I was not ripped off. It would be a rip off if the PS3 version had content held back becuz they knew all along they were going to do a PS4 version with better everything and more content. Then yes, i would feel ripped off.

Being ripped off or scammed is not opitiona ports of game, it more like how M$ charged for online last gen or how M$ controlled the HDD for the 360, how for the X1 you have to buy a thing just to use a mic. A Rip off or scam is how Nintendo exclusive game never go down in price, of how like the PS3 controller cost $55-$60 all gen and still to this day. Capcom DLC bullshit, Forza higly overpriced DLC content. Things you need, things you already have but have a hard barrier of cost, or simply things just unjustifiably cost way too much falls into the realm of rip off and scam.

Things like Kinect (last gen), Move, HD collections, PS4 camera, peripherals, add-ons, optional things are not rip offs or scam (unless they are over priced).

Milking is subjective at this point. If people want it and are asking for it, and then later the follow through and buy it, you cant say that the company only did it to fool the fans out of more money, its becuz people kept wanting it so its a win-win situation.

Things like COD were people have been asking for it to stop or slow down, is milking. Things like Marioa were that franchise is being stretched on to every type of genre and how Nintendo feels like the have to have Mario in everything and everywhere cuz they cant creat something new, thats milking the brand.

Milking a series (Cod, Ass Creed), milking the Brand (Mario) and milking consumers are all different things. People have to understand that first.

Milking means using a product over and over to make profit multiple times and/or ways.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 clr84651

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

So rereleasing a game in 720p that was originally 480 is ok but rereleasing a game that was 720p in 1080p is bad.

There's a huge difference between SD and HD. 720p is already HD.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

some of them are terrible.. like the Silent Hill HD Collection

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Cranler

@clr84651 said:

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

HD is simply a label slapped onto anything above 480p. Technically 720p is the new sd since 480 is becoming substandard.

Lets take a look at pixel count, cause that's what it's really all about.

sd 307,200

hd 720p 921,600

hd 1080p 2,073,600

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 clr84651

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

HD is simply a label slapped onto anything above 480p. Technically 720p is the new sd since 480 is becoming substandard.

sd 307,200

hd 720p 921,600

hd 1080p 2,073,600

No, 480 SD vs 720p HD is a way bigger improvement than 720p HD vs 1080p HD.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

@clyde46 said:

PS2 games that got HD are ok, something like TLOU is a scam.

Neither is a scam. It's not like they can just turn up the res on TLOU and call it a day. It has to be ported over to the PS4 while improving res, textures, lighting and frame rate. It's quite a programming task and definitely not a scam.

The mistake with TLOU is I think they should've released it as a launch title to help out with the lack of PS4 software at launch.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

I think it depends on how much effort is put into making the game.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#128  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I can't count how many iterations of Resident Evil 4 were released.... Product milking at it's finest

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Cranler

@clr84651 said:

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

sd 307,200

hd 720p 921,600

hd 1080p 2,073,600

Hows that? 480 to 720 is only a 600k pixel increase while 720 to 1080 is a 1 million pixel increase.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

sd 307,200

hd 720p 921,600

hd 1080p 2,073,600

Hows that? 480 to 720 is only a 600k pixel increase while 720 to 1080 is a 1 million pixel increase.

Diminishing returns.

Any idiot can tell the difference between 480 and 720. A lot of people can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080. Even less people will notice the difference between 1080 and 4k. And so on.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#131  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's the equivalent of a film re-release or something.

You don't have to buy it or anything, it's just an older piece done with a "cleaner" presentation. You don't have to buy it, so scam is a bit of a strong word.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

only on Xbox.

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 CR00K
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

Not a scam at all. As a fan of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, I wanted to cry when I saw them in HD.

Skip to 2:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpmeRwcE9ow

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Not that big of a scam. Quick moneymakers for diehard fans of a certain game, and for people who never got to play them the first time around. I never played Tales of Symphonia, Kingdom Hearts, or the mainline MGS games, so those HD packs on PS3 were pretty good deals for me.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I have to agree with the TC when even cell phones can run emulators at 1080p why pay for it on console ??

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

$peaking of which, is Hitman HD pack - it's silent assassin and contracts - worth forking out 7 bucks on 360?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Cranler

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

@Cranler said:

@clr84651 said:

sd 307,200

hd 720p 921,600

hd 1080p 2,073,600

Diminishing returns.

Any idiot can tell the difference between 480 and 720. A lot of people can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080. Even less people will notice the difference between 1080 and 4k. And so on.

Then why do all these smartphones have such ridiculously high ppi's? Nexus 5 has a 445 ppi, a 28" 4k monitor has a mere 157 ppi.

Most stores have the same signal going to every tv so of course no one will see much difference between a 720p and 1080p tv.

I have yet to see a test to see if people can tell the difference for gaming. Games are affected much more by res than film. Viewing distance is also big thing with gaming as well. I have no problem sitting far away from a screen for watching tv but when gaming I like to be real close. About 1.5 feet of distance for every 20 inches.

Gaming 10 ft away from a 55 inch tv just kills immersion and makes it harder to see the finer details in the game world. 2 equally skilled players in mp won't be equal if one is close to the screen and the other is far.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

i bought the FFX/X-2 HD collection on both the PS3 and Vita, sure i own both the games but my PS2's broken and either way to replay them means shelling out £30 either way..might aswell get the HD collection and i got the Vita version cause i won £160 off a football coupon at the weekend couldnt resist the idea of playing Blitzball when my works not busy and when i go on holiday gotta find a way to waste 9 and a half hours on a plane!

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#139  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@RR360DD said:

If they're full priced then yeah.

this

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#140 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts
@Articuno76 said:

If they are simply upscales or repackages where higher quality content textures were just sitting on developers hard-drive then yeah, I could see how that might be a scam (though you still have to account for cost of porting).

But when textures are redone from the ground up, gameplay enhanced and OST's entirely re-recorded you are looking at a value package.

Truth is turning up your settings on the PC isn't at all like a good HD conversion (Windwaker, FFX/X-2).

This.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Bigboi500 said:

By not liking something that isn't for you, everything would be a "scam" by that definition.

As a pc gamer, it's not really my problem. One of the many advantages of he platform.

As a gamer who doesn't limit myself to only one platform, it's not my problem either. One of the many advantages of being open minded.

What you said does not make logical sense my friend. Re analise your post, come back and apologize for making me type this out.

I don't think he's your friend, jankarop.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I care less about resolution and more about aspect ratio. There were a lot of GC games that just look bad on HDTV because they are stretched out. Fixing that is a big upgrade IMO.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 kipsta77

@airshocker said:

@kipsta77 said:

Wait, what's wrong with buying those games if you haven't played them before? Are you seriously complaining about the fact that games are getting released on newer systems?

"I'm complaining about the fact" that the developers are charging full price for them, as if they were a whole new game or a sequel.

Within a year after release is ridiculous, the only way I see it being a good idea is if they implement some sort of upgrade program, so people who already own the game, get a big discount.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@kipsta77 said:

@airshocker said:

@kipsta77 said:

"I'm complaining about the fact" that the developers are charging full price for them, as if they were a whole new game or a sequel.

Within a year after release is ridiculous, the only way I see it being a good idea is if they implement some sort of upgrade program, so people who already own the game, get a big discount.

Okay, this time actually read what I say: What is wrong with buying those games if you haven't played them before? What does them having already been released on a different console matter to the person who hasn't played them before?

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#145 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Depends, if these games from PS2 era

then no, especially if they are games that I missed out and would like to play them

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By kipsta77

@airshocker said:

@kipsta77 said:

@airshocker said:

@kipsta77 said:

Okay, this time actually read what I say: What is wrong with buying those games if you haven't played them before? What does them having already been released on a different console matter to the person who hasn't played them before?

When did I say there was something wrong with buying it if someone hadn't already played it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@kipsta77 said:

@airshocker said:

@kipsta77 said:

@airshocker said:

@kipsta77 said:

When did I say there was something wrong with buying it if someone hadn't already played it?

You didn't answer my question. Instead you ignored it. What else am I supposed to assume?

So what is your problem with Tomb Raider being released for the PS4? The game isn't meant for those who have played it on previous systems. Its meant for people who didn't play it and now own a PS4. Why should you even care?

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By kipsta77

@airshocker said:

You didn't answer my question. Instead you ignored it. What else am I supposed to assume?

So what is your problem with Tomb Raider being released for the PS4? The game isn't meant for those who have played it on previous systems. Its meant for people who didn't play it and now own a PS4. Why should you even care?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#150 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Some people just think company owes them something for buying their game. Buy it or don't buy it that is your choice..they don't have/need to give discount or trade ins etc...because they don't owe you anything. :p