Are games becoming more or less overall complicated to develop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IcyFlamez96
Member since 2011 • 1355 Posts

Before I though that obviously they were becoming more complicated, but lately, all devs have been talking about is how easy and workable it is to develop for next gen consoles, and how their having a much easier time etc... I remember watching this developer commentary of Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal I while ago and they mentioned how in this one level, a crate was accidentally placed in the middle of a level. To remove the crate, they had to run this program all day and overnight just to remove that ONE crate. So I imagine stuff like that is more workable now, and there are much less limitations with things.

With games nowadays though, a LOT more work seems to be put into every aspect of the game wether it's AI, graphics, art, particles and whatnot. So obviously that would take up a lot more time in general (it seems like to me) as opposed to older games. BUT, Bungie said that each area in Destiny uses an amount of geometry (area/land/space.. i guess) equivilent to 2/3rds of Halo Reach. From another perspective, they said each area is about 6 by 6 kilometers. Skyrim's map is 9 by 9 in comparison. There have been over 10 areas announced so far too...  Plus they said they don't want it to feel empty so they are working to add tons of content too. So that's clearly a ton of stuff. So maybe things like that are easier to do now since there are less limitations? But more work is being put in in general... Idk. What do you guys think? 

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

To remove the crate, they had to run this program all day and overnight just to remove that ONE crate.

IcyFlamez96

I'm no lawyer but that sounds like some BS.

To answer the question, the tools are probably much better than they once were, but there is undeniably more work. More moving parts means more can go wrong.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"]To remove the crate, they had to run this program all day and overnight just to remove that ONE crate.

Cherokee_Jack

To answer the question, the tools are probably much better than they once were, but there is undeniably more work. More moving parts means more can go wrong.

Yeah, pretty much.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

The tools are always getting better, but the job is always becoming more challenging.

Game development is constantly becoming more of a challenge to meet rising expectations.  And expectations can be fairly ridiculous.

IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IcyFlamez96

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"]To remove the crate, they had to run this program all day and overnight just to remove that ONE crate.

Cherokee_Jack

Okay they said it took all evening to MOVE a crate.... I remembered wrong lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xNF4yCtBF74#t=780s
IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IcyFlamez96

Any more thoughts?

ElectricEchoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ElectricEchoes
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

Just wondering, in relation to game artists, what do you think has become more complicated?