Are futuristic racing games going to be irrelevant for PS5/Xbox Scarlett's library of racing games?

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#1 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -

Dear futuristic racing fans on System Wars board.

Time for another speculations on PS5 and Xbox Scarlett.

What if PS5 and Xbox Scarlett gets futuristic racing games into it's library? No matter if it's 1st or 3rd party.

I have a feeling that majority of them will be inferior to Shin'en Multimedia's Fast RMX (Switch) and Nintendo's F-Zero series in terms of gameplay.

So tell me on your thoughts?

• The full list futuristic driving/racing IPs from Playstation and Xbox:
    • Playstation:
      • Wipeout (1995-2012) Sony
      • Jet Moto (1996-1999) Sony
      • Rollcage (1999-2000) Sony
      • Kinetica (2001) Sony
    • Xbox:
      • Quantum Redshift (2002) Microsoft
#2 Posted by robert_sparkes (3315 posts) -

I'm still waiting for a new blur which will never happen. I'm hopeful a wipeout might return for PS5.

#3 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@robert_sparkes said:

I'm still waiting for a new blur which will never happen. I'm hopeful a wipeout might return for PS5.

Sony is so stupid for closing down Liverpool Studios since slow PS Vita sales and they could of developed next Wipeout for PS4, not remastered.

I've also heard Liverpool Studio's next Wipeout installment was supposed to be a PS4 launch title but cancelled.

Well I doubt XDev could make new Wipeout and bring it to PS5.

Side Note: Nintendo should bring F-Zero series back to Nintendo Switch by 2020 (30th anniversary of the franchise by that time).

#4 Posted by robert_sparkes (3315 posts) -

I've given up all hope for an f zero baffles me that they haven't released one since gamecube.

#5 Posted by AJStyles (1091 posts) -

Those types of games always sold poorly on any system. Niche series most people don’t like playing.

Those games are incredibly broken and are terribly unfun after the initial “easy” levels. I use “easy” because they tend to be damn hard anyway.

No one actually likes those games. Not even Nintendo fanboys buy them because F-Zero somehow managed to get worse sales with each new game release.

#6 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@ajstyles said:

Those types of games always sold poorly on any system. Niche series most people don’t like playing.

Those games are incredibly broken and are terribly unfun after the initial “easy” levels. I use “easy” because they tend to be damn hard anyway.

No one actually likes those games. Not even Nintendo fanboys buy them because F-Zero somehow managed to get worse sales with each new game release.

Because the fact that you're very bad in futuristic racing games in general.

Also the part you've mentioned "Nintendo fanboys won't buy F-Zero since the sales figures went lower", so your logic is very stupid.

#7 Posted by MonsieurX (39192 posts) -

That type of game has been irrelevant for a while

#8 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36592 posts) -
@MonsieurX said:

Yep, the death of F-Zero was a sign.

#9 Edited by ronvalencia (28237 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:

What if PS5 and Xbox Scarlett gets futuristic racing games into it's library? No matter if it's 1st or 3rd party.

I have a feeling that majority of them will be inferior to Shin'en Multimedia's Fast RMX (Switch) and Nintendo's F-Zero series in terms of gameplay.

• Playstation:
      • Kinetica (2001) Sony
    • Xbox:

Forza Horizon 3 "Hot Wheels" DLC.

Forza Horizon 4 "LEGO Speed Champions" DLC.

#10 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@ronvalencia said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

• Playstation:
      • Kinetica (2001) Sony
    • Xbox:

Um Forza Horizon series is street racing game, not a futuristic racing.

Also Forza Horizon doesn't even take place in futuristic environments too.

If you want more examples of futuristic racing games then google it up.

#11 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Yep, the death of F-Zero was a sign.

Majority of futuristic racing fans were expecting new F-Zero installment to be released since the days of DS and Wii.

Oh well the closest game to F-Zero for Nintendo Switch is Fast RMX.

#12 Edited by ronvalencia (28237 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

• Playstation:
      • Kinetica (2001) Sony
    • Xbox:

Um Forza Horizon series is street racing game, not a futuristic racing.

Also Forza Horizon doesn't even take place in futuristic environments too.

If you want more examples of futuristic racing games then google it up.

Both "Futuristic" and Forza Horizon's "Toy" DLCs are hard fiction and nowhere near realistic.

Loading Video...

LOL...

Loading Video...

Forza Horizon 3 "Hot Wheels" DLC fullfills your Kinetica and Rollcage arguments with full licenced IP vehicles.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#13 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -

@ronvalencia: You're wrong, to qualify as futuristic racers it always has to set in the future plus you came here to troll.

Differences:

• Kinetica and Rollcage both set in the distant future.
  • Forza Horizon set in modern day.

By the way I would rather play Forza Horizon over any Rollcage and Kinetica. I also never liked Rollcage and Kinetica too.

Also I would choose to play Forza, Gran Turismo and Project Gotham Racing over Wipeout, Quantum Redshift and what ever futuristic racers.

#14 Posted by cainetao11 (36844 posts) -

I hope not. Im not a huge racing fan but Wipeout has some of my most fondest memories.

#15 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@cainetao11 said:

I hope not. Im not a huge racing fan but Wipeout has some of my most fondest memories.

Wait, I thought you were a fan of racing games since you liked Forza series.

Well if Microsoft wants to make a new futuristic racing IP then better be as good as Nintendo's F-Zero in terms of gameplay.

Also they should try to remake or reboot Quantum Redshift for Xbox Scarlett.

#16 Posted by cainetao11 (36844 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@cainetao11 said:

Wait, I thought you were a fan of racing games since you liked Forza series.

Well if Microsoft wants to make a new futuristic racing IP then better be as good as Nintendo's F-Zero in terms of gameplay.

Also they should try to remake or reboot Quantum Redshift for Xbox Scarlett.

Im 47 years old.

I was a Hang on fan long before Forza, GT or Wipeout. I just don't run out to buy racing games.

#17 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

I will play all types of racing games and futuristic racers are by far the worst.

#18 Posted by DaVillain- (38139 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

I will play all types of racing games and futuristic racers are by far the worst.

No love for Sci-Fi stuff? Not cool man, not cool :(

#19 Edited by warmblur (3028 posts) -

I miss them I still remember playing the Wipeout demo that came with my PS1 I was so blown away and then I got it for Christmas that year it was amazing.

#20 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

No love for Sci-Fi stuff? Not cool man, not cool :(

I guess most racing fans on PS5 and Xbox Scarlett wouldn't have interest in futuristic and kart racers so they would much more prefer sim racing and street racing games.

What I've know so far for those who prefer sim racing or street racing, they have a choice to choose in between Xbox Scarlett, Playstation 5 or PC.

While others who prefer kart and futuristic racers, most would choose Nintendo Switch or PC.

#21 Posted by pyro1245 (5264 posts) -

I see these types of games from smaller devs on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=699%2C4295&filter=topsellers

There's a still a fan base. I guess sim racers like Forza are just way more popular so they are a safer bet.

I bet games like Redout will make their way to next gen consoles eventually.

#22 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@pyro1245 said:

I see these types of games from smaller devs on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=699%2C4295&filter=topsellers

There's a still a fan base. I guess sim racers like Forza are just way more popular so they are a safer bet.

I bet games like Redout will make their way to next gen consoles eventually.

The only one I liked from this Steam page's search result is Distance by Refract studios (Spiritual successor to Nitronic Rush and homage to San Francisco Rush).

#23 Posted by flashn00b (3634 posts) -

@robert_sparkes:Something tells me that if Activision DOES want a new Blur, i get the feeling that they'll have to outsource the game's development to Nintendo EAD. You know what that means: system exclusivity.

#24 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2522 posts) -

I think a futuristic racing game would look and run great on next gen hardware. I still play Wipeout 2048 on my PS Vita sometimes. It's a good pick up and play game if you don't have a lot of time.

#25 Posted by foxhound_fox (98037 posts) -

Just don't bother with consoles and go get Redout right now. It's as if F-Zero GX and Wipeout had a kid and it wasn't inbred offspring.

Loading Video...

#26 Posted by sleepnsurf (3224 posts) -

Need moar boat games. HTH shits on them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MfeUlerI3w

#27 Edited by dimebag667 (1305 posts) -

I played Riptide GP on ps4 and it was heading in the right direction but fell short. Then the sequel tried to add a pointless story and lost me. My guess is that some of these games are only developed for mobile and have no chance to get my money.

I just want the chimera of space boat/jet ski with super speed, massive jumps, tricks that gain you boost, road rash melee combat, and rockets, mines, etc.

What about a twisted metal but with Burnout cars and maps?

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (35068 posts) -

Its time to bring back OutRun 2019.

Can't wait to see what the future looks like.

#29 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@foxhound_fox said:

Just don't bother with consoles and go get Redout right now. It's as if F-Zero GX and Wipeout had a kid and it wasn't inbred offspring.

Loading Video...

I understood.

For me I'd personally would wait for Nintendo to release a new F-Zero for Switch or it's successor.

#30 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@valgaav_219 said:

I think a futuristic racing game would look and run great on next gen hardware. I still play Wipeout 2048 on my PS Vita sometimes. It's a good pick up and play game if you don't have a lot of time.

For Wipeout 2048, I've played it on PS4 and to me it's a okay game but generally futuristic racing is not my most favourite sub-genre of racing games.

I'm more of a sim racing and street racing fan in racing genre.

#31 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@dimebag667 said:

I played Riptide GP on ps4 and it was heading in the right direction but fell short. Then the sequel tried to add a pointless story and lost me. My guess is that some of these games are only developed for mobile and have no chance to get my money.

I just want the chimera of space boat/jet ski with super speed, massive jumps, tricks that gain you boost, road rash melee combat, and rockets, mines, etc.

What about a twisted metal but with Burnout cars and maps?

For Riptide, it's pretty much mixed with Nintendo's Wave Race and Sony's Jet Moto in my opinion.

And Twisted Metal crossover with Burnout? doesn't sound good to me.

I'd rather see Destruction Derby crossover with Burnout series.

#32 Edited by foxhound_fox (98037 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Loading Video...

I understood.

For me I'd personally would wait for Nintendo to release a new F-Zero for Switch or it's successor.

Enjoy waiting for the rest of your life.

#33 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Loading Video...

I understood.

Enjoy waiting for the rest of your life.

At least I still get to play some other futuristic racers like Distance by Refract on PC which I've bought it from Steam 3 years ago when it was on sale plus early access too.

In October 2018, Distance has finally finished it's development and it turned out to be amazing.

Loading Video...

#34 Posted by pyro1245 (5264 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Loading Video...

I really like Redout, but it's tough.

The skill ceiling seems high though once you learn the tracks and learn the nuances of using the stick to pivot your nose to hit the curves just right without crashing.

#35 Posted by dimebag667 (1305 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: I enjoyed riptide but I wish the levels had bigger jumps and more speed.

Why don't you like the idea of burnout cars and level size with twisted metal combat and weapons? Burnout is fun on it's own, but we'll probably never get another actual one of those, and twisted metal (2011 or whatever) felt too small and toy like. I think would be awesome.

I can't really speak to destruction derby since I only played it maybe once when it came out.

#36 Posted by judaspete (3137 posts) -

It's just not a big genre anymore. Luckily indie devs have picked up the slack in the last few years with stuff like Fast RMX, Redout, and Grip. And that's fine. These kinds of games don't really need huge budgets or story modes to be good.

#37 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@dimebag667 said:

@mclarenmaster18: I enjoyed riptide but I wish the levels had bigger jumps and more speed.

Why don't you like the idea of burnout cars and level size with twisted metal combat and weapons? Burnout is fun on it's own, but we'll probably never get another actual one of those, and twisted metal (2011 or whatever) felt too small and toy like. I think would be awesome.

I can't really speak to destruction derby since I only played it maybe once when it came out.

For me the problem about Twisted Metal series is having the very dark plot since in Twisted Metal: Black and 2012 contains brutal and disturbing cutscenes which resulted ESRB giving M rating.

Unlike in Destruction Derby series which never contained any disturbing content.

#38 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@judaspete said:

It's just not a big genre anymore. Luckily indie devs have picked up the slack in the last few years with stuff like Fast RMX, Redout, and Grip. And that's fine. These kinds of games don't really need huge budgets or story modes to be good.

I guess that in this generation of gaming that a lot of players aren't very interested in futuristic racing in general.

Well most futuristic racers being released in this gen are pretty much developed by indie developers which is correct.

I'm still thinking to buy Fast RMX for Switch if the price drops down plus I always wanted F-Zero to return as soon as possible.

#39 Edited by judaspete (3137 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: I hated the cutscenes in Twisted Metal 2012. Black to a lesser extent, but 2012 was trying sooooo hard to be dark. That just doesn't mesh well in these games. Car combat is a goofy concept that needs a campy story for it to work. Say what you will about 3 and 4, at least they understood this much.

Really though, 2012 is mechanically the best game in the series. I almost didn't notice because of all the high school emo kid BS.

I hope Nintendo lets Shinen make an F-Zero. They've already proven themselves on an indie budget. Would be awesome to see what they could do with Nintendo's backing and guidance.

#40 Edited by my_user_name (23 posts) -

Wasn't a huge fan of Wipeout but I got the collection and been playing it on PSVR. It's pretty fun. Tried Grip which is still on gamepass and it's pretty cool.

I've always wanted a NFS type game that was set in a futuristic city.

Arcade racing in general is on life support. Burnout and Midnight Club were multi million sellers and we can't get a sequel to them so I doubt a niche genre will magically explode.

#41 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -
@judaspete said:

@mclarenmaster18: I hated the cutscenes in Twisted Metal 2012. Black to a lesser extent, but 2012 was trying sooooo hard to be dark. That just doesn't mesh well in these games. Car combat is a goofy concept that needs a campy story for it to work. Say what you will about 3 and 4, at least they understood this much.

Really though, 2012 is mechanically the best game in the series. I almost didn't notice because of all the high school emo kid BS.

I hope Nintendo lets Shinen make an F-Zero. They've already proven themselves on an indie budget. Would be awesome to see what they could do with Nintendo's backing and guidance.

Yep, even Twisted Metal 3, 4 & Small Brawl on PS1's plot is considered to be worse than the first 2 games but still better than TM 2012's plot IMO.

At least TM 3 & 4 has some funny moments in the plot including endings.

I also wanted Shin'en' Multimedia to develop Nintendo F-Zero for Switch since they did so well on making Fast Racing, similar how Amusement Vision/Sega (Daytona USA 2001) made F-Zero GX for GCN/Arcades being a perfect futuristic racer plus many years later, none of any newer futuristic racers can dethrone that.

#42 Posted by dimebag667 (1305 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: Fair enough. I guess we just differ in the fact that I enjoy the dark and disturbing nature of twisted metal and you don't.

Would you feel the same about a twisted/burnout combo if it wasn't dark?

#43 Posted by ronvalencia (28237 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:

@ronvalencia: You're wrong, to qualify as futuristic racers it always has to set in the future plus you came here to troll.

Differences:

By the way I would rather play Forza Horizon over any Rollcage and Kinetica. I also never liked Rollcage and Kinetica too.

Also I would choose to play Forza, Gran Turismo and Project Gotham Racing over Wipeout, Quantum Redshift and what ever futuristic racers.

You're the real troll since Forza's DLCs has similar themes as your Kinetica and Rollcage arguments with full licenced IP vehicles. You're still wrong.

#44 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1713 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

Differences:

You're the real troll since Forza's DLCs has similar themes as your Kinetica and Rollcage arguments with full licenced IP vehicles. You're still wrong.

Proof about the gameplay?

Forza cars can't even go on hover mode like F-Zero, Wipeout and Quantum Redshift, drive upside down like Rollcage or function like roller suits in Kinetica.

The toy DLC wise for Forza are meant to be nostalgic for those who had fun childhood memories on playing with Hot Wheels and Lego sets.

Also the gameplay and concept for Forza Horizon's toy DLCs are nothing like science fiction futuristic racers including F-Zero, Wipeout, Kinetica and Rollcage.

Plus how am I going against Forza and Microsoft? never said anything bad about it plus you're the one who is a troll and getting angry at me at first place.

Overall Forza Horizon's gameplay base is more like Project Gotham Racing and Test Drive.

While Kinetica and Rollcage are more like F-Zero and Wipeout.

By the way I'm done with your argument and opinions.