Are exclusive games the main reason why people buy consoles?

• 70 results
mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Poll Are exclusive games the main reason why people buy consoles? (69 votes)

Yep 46%
Nope 54%

if Sony and Nintendo break down the wall they built around themselves, will people keep buying their consoles or no they will abandon them all and come to PC? , I doubt Wii U will survive another second without its exclusive games.

What will happen if they follow MS route and delve into the cross-buy thing?

just to be clear, I'm not talking about making their games multiplat , I'm just wondering what will happen if they share their games with PC.

• 
PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@Blabadon said:

People as in people who don't care about internet narratives? Normal people?

They buy consoles because they are foremost video game playing machines and allow easy access to a new generation of video games. That's why people buy them.

This. It's common sense enough that OP should already know the answer.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@mark1974 said:

I wont go to PC because I don't like playing on PC. I have several, I just have no desire to buy games for them.

I don't care if games are exclusive or multiplat. That is simply not relevant to me. I decide which games I like and buy the console that plays them the best or have the preferred features or controller. It's really quite simple.

Yep, exactly. I don't game on consoles because of the exclusives... I game on consoles because that's how I prefer to play. I like lying on my bed and looking up at my big screen TV with controller in hand and headphones on. If Halo started releasing on PC, it wouldn't make me want to start gaming on PC instead... that's for sure.

That's odd because that's how I play my PC. On my 55" using the steam controller and big screen mode. I got my Steele series wireless HP's with built in volume, it's just like a console. PC's today are not yesterday, they now can be as streamlined as a console if you set it up to be that way. My Asus G20 desktop is actually close to the same size as my PS4.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

nah pc is just too much of a hustle to set up for your general adhd cod kids and casual gamers

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@mark1974 said:

I wont go to PC because I don't like playing on PC. I have several, I just have no desire to buy games for them.

I don't care if games are exclusive or multiplat. That is simply not relevant to me. I decide which games I like and buy the console that plays them the best or have the preferred features or controller. It's really quite simple.

Yep, exactly. I don't game on consoles because of the exclusives... I game on consoles because that's how I prefer to play. I like lying on my bed and looking up at my big screen TV with controller in hand and headphones on. If Halo started releasing on PC, it wouldn't make me want to start gaming on PC instead... that's for sure.

That's odd because that's how I play my PC. On my 55" using the steam controller and big screen mode. I got my Steele series wireless HP's with built in volume, it's just like a console. PC's today are not yesterday, they now can be as streamlined as a console if you set it up to be that way. My Asus G20 desktop is actually close to the same size as my PS4.

That's great, if that's what you want to do. But I'd rather go for the cheaper/more convenient option.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

It's a yes and no for me.

Yes for old/last gen systems, but not a strong yes.

No for current, while it's a good bonus for me sometimes.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#57 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

I don't see how cross-buy with PC would benefit Sony or Nintendo.

It makes perfect sense for MS.

Especially when its a given that it will require Windows 10. Not Vista, 7, 8, 8.1. You must be running Windows 10 to play QB. Or be doing some bullshit with emulation I guess. I've said it in regards to Sony sharing games among their platforms or Products if you will, and Nintendo: The business of video games does not give a crap what the Gamespot System Wars definition of exclusives or idea of how to run a gaming division is. It really doesn't. Many of the things written in here are childish BS. Why would they take most of us seriously? I am preordering QB digital for X1 so I can get the free W10 copy and I will attempt it on my uncles Dell desktop PC and I'll film it and try to post it. (he can get weird about videos with any part of his home). I will show you that just being on PC doesn't magically mean the average PC user is going to be able to and therefore choose to go PC gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

Mainly PC gamers would buy a console for exclusives only.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I have a good PC so any console I get would only be for exclusives... and that would be why I only have a Wii U so far this gen.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Yes and no.

In old days yes , it was only about exclusives. Nowdays i take other things into consideration also like

• 3rd party support
  • Multiplatforms performance
  • Value for money
  • Which product will provide me games year after year up to next generation and not for 2-3 years.
  • Library diversity is a must
  • Quantity of games so system wont collecting dust after a game or 2.

Now people will stop wondering why i refuse to buy a Nintendo console. Lets see with NX.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@khoofia_pika said:

Well, why else would you buy a console?

There aren't really any console exclusives of note this gen. The couple that do exist pretty much cancel each other out. Thats why there would be other reasons. This year that may change.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@howmakewood said:

nah pc is just too much of a hustle to set up for your general adhd cod kids and casual gamers

Ok. I wouldn't insult anyone, calling them adhd after that grammar you displayed. But yeah it's a hassle, for "COD kids" the dreaded "casual" or anyone else.

...And I just got to ask. Does calling someone a casual really lift your self esteem so much? Is being a too obsessed video gamer really the height for you? And I direct that question to a lot of you out there.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

They buy what's popular and easy. Most people who don't frequent internet forums don't go and research the consoles they buy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#64  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

People buy consoles because they don't play games that often and they just want to play the newest titles of their favorite franchises.

Most people don't want to drop $1000+ on a gaming PC just to play the latest CoD each year. They don't give a shit about having the best graphics or the biggest library of games or that in the long run the PC is a better value. They want to buy something they are comfortable with that handles all of their gaming needs without any complications. That's literally it. Building a PC is a huge hassle to most. Even with all of the guides and online tutorials out there, that's still a lot more work than you have to do to plug in a PS4 and play CoD.

Most gamers don't care that much about gaming in general and they just buy what's easy and satisfies them the quickest.

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

There are a few reasons to buy a console over a building/buying a PC:

1. It's simple enough for someone with know technical knowledge, e.g. a parent looking for a gift, to buy and set up without having to worry about messing with software or hardware. Although it could be argued that once the PC is set up, it's almost as simple as those commenting about "plug and play".
2. A community of friends may own a particular system and you want to be included in the group
3. Exclusives -- This is the one that dictates my purchase of a console.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

exclusives makes console appealing.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@mark1974 said:
@howmakewood said:

Ok. I wouldn't insult anyone, calling them adhd after that grammar you displayed. But yeah it's a hassle, for "COD kids" the dreaded "casual" or anyone else.

...And I just got to ask. Does calling someone a casual really lift your self esteem so much? Is being a too obsessed video gamer really the height for you? And I direct that question to a lot of you out there.

It does not lift my self esteem, nor do I consider "casual" to be derogatory. People who spend less time on "x" are less likely to investment more on it. Not saying there aren't console only gamers who game a lot, but they are the minority.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

If Sony ever decides to put all their exclusives on PC I will become a hermit.

I'm a proponent of the traditional closed platform.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#69 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@howmakewood said:
@mark1974 said:
@howmakewood said:

It does not lift my self esteem, nor do I consider "casual" to be derogatory. People who spend less time on "x" are less likely to investment more on it. Not saying there aren't console only gamers who game a lot, but they are the minority.

I don’t know about ADHD but I mostly use the term “Casual” for describing people who are busy with more important things in their lives than playing video games 24/7

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#70  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

I would not buy consoles at all if they did not have exclusives. Why would I want to play games on console when I can play them on my far superior PC? Consoles are redundant and a waste of money. It sucks that we have to buy them just to play exclusives. They sit there collecting dust for months between exclusives. Then an exclusive comes out and it doesn't even run properly. It will be running at a terrible 30fps and still have slowdown. Lol. What a waste. It is a sin to not release a game like Bloodborne on PC. If the game actually ran properly on my PS4, I wouldn't mind as much. Unfortunately, the game was wasted on shit hardware. This is of course my perspective as a hardcore gamer that wants the best experience.

I understand the merits of consoles. People want something simple and cheap. I do not believe most exclusives are big system sellers. Games like GTA, COD, Madden, FIFA, etc. are the real system sellers. People want to play the latest iteration of mainstream franchises or buy into the latest gimmick (Guitar Hero/Rock Band, Wii motion controls, etc.) that is marketed to them. They may pick a particular platform because their friends have it or there is a big franchise (COD) that has been marketed more/associated with it. There are a lot of different factors. I don't believe exclusives are the main reason why people buy into a new generation. Exclusives are probably the main reason for going manticore.