Are exclusive games the main reason why people buy consoles?

• 70 results
mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Poll Are exclusive games the main reason why people buy consoles? (69 votes)

Yep 46%
Nope 54%

if Sony and Nintendo break down the wall they built around themselves, will people keep buying their consoles or no they will abandon them all and come to PC? , I doubt Wii U will survive another second without its exclusive games.

What will happen if they follow MS route and delve into the cross-buy thing?

just to be clear, I'm not talking about making their games multiplat , I'm just wondering what will happen if they share their games with PC.

• 
Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4009 Posts

I don't see how cross-buy with PC would benefit Sony or Nintendo.

It makes perfect sense for MS.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I wont go to PC because I don't like playing on PC. I have several, I just have no desire to buy games for them.

I don't care if games are exclusive or multiplat. That is simply not relevant to me. I decide which games I like and buy the console that plays them the best or have the preferred features or controller. It's really quite simple.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

People as in people who don't care about internet narratives? Normal people?

They buy consoles because they are foremost video game playing machines and allow easy access to a new generation of video games. That's why people buy them.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5547 Posts

Well, you do get a console for it´s exclusives, you can only play Halo in Xbox or God of War in PS whatever or some version of Mario in any of the multiple Nintendo systems, once you have acquired the exclusives you want it finally doesn´t matter much what you have playing for example COD in either it´s pretty much the same one or the other.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Majority of console gamers I know couldn't care less about PC.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5151 Posts

Nope , most of people who buy consoles are casual gamers and they hardly care about exclusives , those stupid fanboys who won't quit bashing phil spencer may disagree but they don't represent whole console gaming community as much as I don't represent the whole PC gaming community

DrkeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrkeX
Member since 2003 • 645 Posts

@commonfate: same, out of circle of friends in two cities I've lived in the past 5 years, pc gamers are s minority

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

Eh, I don't really want console exclusives. Stuff like Uncharted represents the least interesting, least compelling kind of game design for me. Boring stories, boring gameplay, it's lowest common denominator kind of stuff.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 35106 Posts

For me ? yes, there is simply no other reason to spend 300-400 dollars on a system

In General ? I don't believe so. At the end of 360s lifetime it seemed to sell fine without exclusives. PS4 has been selling like crazy for the past 2 years and it doesn't have many exclusives worth noting.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Nope, majority buy systems that will have their favorite games and friends on it. Just look at top selling games and youll find why they buy the system. Youll notice exclusives wont be high on that list.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_master_race
@Big_Red_Button said:

Eh, I don't really want console exclusives. Stuff like Uncharted represents the least interesting, least compelling kind of game design for me. Boring stories, boring gameplay, it's lowest common denominator kind of stuff.

TC wasn't talking only about Sony , Nintendo has an archive of great exclusive titles that I'd buy in heartbeat if they come to PC

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51908 Posts

Absolutely not.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#13  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17934 Posts

Defintely not. It's a secondary factor. The main reasons are what my friends own and what's a convenient addition for the living room space - which basically just means to serve a purpose when I have friends/family over.

My gaming friends made the switch to PC, which is convenient for me. About everyone, friends and family has a Wii-U even if they barely use it, fortunately it had the added bonuses of exclusives I am somewhat interested in, so that's what I currently own.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

For me ? yes, there is simply no other reason to spend 300-400 dollars on a system

In General ? I don't believe so. At the end of 360s lifetime it seemed to sell fine without exclusives. PS4 has been selling like crazy for the past 2 years and it doesn't have many exclusives worth noting.

For me too, since our main platform is PC and we have everything we want.

Well, then ppl should have no problem with exclusives being released on PC yet see how they went nuts over QB and i'm sure the worse would've happened if it was a Sony exclusive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I don't think so, there is a huge demographic of people who simply just want something to play games on, something relatively cheap, and something that requires little thought to set up. These are also likely the reason why console games see huge sales but only in very few games. This huge group that buys a console for 4-5 games a year at most, and of those games there rarely seem to be an exclusive.

Not saying that most people in these forums are that type, I mean since they are in here they care somewhat about games and gaming. But most people I know that has a console, falls into that category.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19913 Posts

Back in earlier generations, I'd say absolutely for me. I bought my first PS1 specifically because of Bushido Blade, which was never going to come to PC. Later, I got into FF7, FF8 and a bunch of other fun JRPGs that at the time were console exclusive. Ever since, I purchased every new console under the assumption that there'd be at least -something- on those platforms that I'd like to play and so far I haven't been disappointed. That said, if there's a PC version as well (that's not released significantly after the console version) then I'll go for the PC version every time because I have a beefy PC and unless the PC version is a really bad port it will generally always be better with faster loading times, better frame rates and resolutions, etc.

These days, though, there are more incentives for people to go console. The online communities (I know plenty of people who's purchasing decision was based on that platform all their friends where playing on), the online store features like free games with PSN+ and Xbox Live Gold, etc. That's assuming that people are even entertaining the idea of getting a gaming PC, which many console owners don't. Sure, on a gaming forum you'll see a ton of people comparing the merits of each but end of the day tons of console gamers aren't weighing the pros and cons of PC gaming versus consoles, they are thinking "I want to play some cool games. What's the cheapest/easiest way to do that?" Consoles offer a simplicity that PC gaming can't touch and not everyone wants to become a PC expert.

-Byshop

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@the_master_race: The most ignorant post I've read in weeks and that's saying a lot.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 15925 Posts

for me personally: yes.

if its multiplat then its for my PC. there are a few exceptions (WRC and the recent rayman games +child of light for my vita) but overall i only buy a game on a console if the game is exclusive.

but i would say that im in the minority with that. for most people, as mentioned above, they get the console that can play the games they want the best. this gen has, so far, demonstrated that exclusives are not actually that effective. most people are just looking for a madden/fifa/COD box and couldn't care less about the exclsuive content offered on any console.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 35106 Posts

@mjorh said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Well, then ppl should have no problem with exclusives being released on PC yet see how they went nuts over QB and i'm sure the worse would've happened if it was a Sony exclusive.

Agreed, I don't see what the big deal is...

Some people just hate it when an "opposing faction" gets a game they were getting as an exclusive and throw a hissy fit.

They can't see that MS is trying to support both PC and Xbox. Something they should've always done. It's always better for a company to go for multiple markets instead of one.

Anyway, I never cry when PC loses an exclusive. The more gamers that get to play something, the better.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1559 Posts

Nahhhhh, never was the case, just have a look at the console best sellers, you'll get an idea!!!

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Only PC gamers buy consoles for exclusives. Most console gamers are casuals they don't know anything about PC gaming

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mjorh

@R4gn4r0k said:
@mjorh said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Agreed, I don't see what the big deal is...

Some people just hate it when an "opposing faction" gets a game they were getting as an exclusive and throw a hissy fit.

They can't see that MS is trying to support both PC and Xbox. Something they should've always done. It's always better for a company to go for multiple markets instead of one.

Anyway, I never cry when PC loses an exclusive. The more gamers that get to play something, the better.

Yeah, i've never seen a PC gamer bitching about an exclusive being released on PC.

@Byshop said:

Back in earlier generations, I'd say absolutely for me. I bought my first PS1 specifically because of Bushido Blade, which was never going to come to PC. Later, I got into FF7, FF8 and a bunch of other fun JRPGs that at the time were console exclusive. Ever since, I purchased every new console under the assumption that there'd be at least -something- on those platforms that I'd like to play and so far I haven't been disappointed. That said, if there's a PC version as well (that's not released significantly after the console version) then I'll go for the PC version every time because I have a beefy PC and unless the PC version is a really bad port it will generally always be better with faster loading times, better frame rates and resolutions, etc.

These days, though, there are more incentives for people to go console. The online communities (I know plenty of people who's purchasing decision was based on that platform all their friends where playing on), the online store features like free games with PSN+ and Xbox Live Gold, etc. That's assuming that people are even entertaining the idea of getting a gaming PC, which many console owners don't. Sure, on a gaming forum you'll see a ton of people comparing the merits of each but end of the day tons of console gamers aren't weighing the pros and cons of PC gaming versus consoles, they are thinking "I want to play some cool games. What's the cheapest/easiest way to do that?" Consoles offer a simplicity that PC gaming can't touch and not everyone wants to become a PC expert.

-Byshop

Yeah this pretty much sums it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

No one person can answer that for everybody, for me no I don't buy a console just for it's exclusive but I"m sure some do.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11408 Posts

I buy Nintendo consoles for exclusives and Sony consoles for 3rd party.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58440 Posts

I do, 3rd party is a bonus.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

For me, yes. Although, i would like a console to play smash bros, and mario kart with my girlfriend, fifa, and other couch co op games.

Yesh I know you can connect your pc to your living room tv.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#28 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5973 Posts

@undefined: We buy consoles for comfort and familiarity. Why waste money on rigging a pc when consoles are cheaper and more accessible? Does it make PC bad? No. We're just more comfortable playing on consoles.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Exclusives are the main reason PC gamers buy consoles for sure.

However, I'm pretty sure the majority of console buyers are there for the multiplats, and lack the budget or familiarity for using a gaming PC.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

It's the main reason smart people buy consoles.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_master_race
@flyincloud1116 said:

@the_master_race: The most ignorant post I've read in weeks and that's saying a lot.

lol , ... sure when it's coming from you

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 170723 Posts

@mark1974 said:

I wont go to PC because I don't like playing on PC. I have several, I just have no desire to buy games for them.

I don't care if games are exclusive or multiplat. That is simply not relevant to me. I decide which games I like and buy the console that plays them the best or have the preferred features or controller. It's really quite simple.

Generally this....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 170723 Posts
@the_master_race said:

Nope , most of people who buy consoles are casual gamers and they hardly care about exclusives , those stupid fanboys who won't quit bashing phil spencer may disagree but they don't represent whole console gaming community as much as I don't represent the whole PC gaming community

Most ignorant post I've read here today....

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 20281 Posts

@mark1974 said:

Yep, exactly. I don't game on consoles because of the exclusives... I game on consoles because that's how I prefer to play. I like lying on my bed and looking up at my big screen TV with controller in hand and headphones on. If Halo started releasing on PC, it wouldn't make me want to start gaming on PC instead... that's for sure.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_master_race
@LJS9502_basic said:
@the_master_race said:

Most ignorant post I've read here today....

K

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

It'd be the main reason why I'd get a console

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2276 Posts

Yes main reason I went with xbox one was because of its exclusives and console exclusives it has. If I just did multiplats then I'd probably go with a ps4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

No. Exclusives are the main reason that existing PC gamers buy consoles, but it is not the reason that most console gamers choose consoles over PC. Some PC gamers seem to have a hard time accepting this, but the reality is, a lot of people just simply do not like playing games on a PC. Phil Spencer said it perfectly when he said that people play on consoles because they prefer that experience.

I believe that even if every single console game also got released on PC, it still would not have any major impact on console sales. The people who do not like playing games on PC or can't afford a powerful enough PC will still continue to buy consoles. That's why Microsoft and Sony are fighting for console exclusives, but they don't really care much if the game also gets released on PC.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

Well, why else would you buy a console?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mjorh

@khoofia_pika said:

Cinematic experience :P

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14153 Posts

I mean, nowadays yes. Back when PC wasn't a dumping ground for anything and everything videogame related, the disparity between software offerings was substantial.

Along with ease of use, exclusive titles are the biggest reason consoles still have a place at the table.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 khoofia_pika

@mjorh said:
@khoofia_pika said:

You get plenty of that in movies though :p

Anyway, I mostly categorize myself as a console/handheld gamer. I mean, I play games on my PC every now and then, but I spend most of my gaming time playing on a console or a handheld. And the first thing I look at before purchasing a system is its current and upcoming exclusive lineup, since I think buying a system out of brand loyalty is silly.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25254 Posts

Exclusives and sports games. The rest? PC.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

It's not my main reason. Well, for the Wii U it was, but there really aren't many 3rd party games on it anyways except Bayonetta and Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'd still play multiplat games on all four platforms (PC, XB1, PS4 & Wii U).

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mjorh

@khoofia_pika said:
@mjorh said:
@khoofia_pika said:

You get plenty of that in movies though :p

Anyway, I mostly categorize myself as a console/handheld gamer. I mean, I play games on my PC every now and then, but I spend most of my gaming time playing on a console or a handheld. And the first thing I look at before purchasing a system is its current and upcoming exclusive lineup, since I think buying a system out of brand loyalty is silly.

Indeed! i'm waiting for Nintendo's next move, shall buy my first console this year and i'm so eager to get a handheld too ....hoping to hear some good news from E3 2016.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5180 Posts

PC gamers are definitely the most likely to buy consoles for exclusives. I mainly game on PC and bought an Xbox One for Halo and a PS4 for JRPG's and exclusives I really want like basically anything from Quantic Dream, Uncharted etc. But I expect most console owners bought one because they just wanted something good to play games on, which is fair enough.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 32532 Posts

Yep. It's the biggest reason to why I bought a WiiU and my xbox one even though I kinda did buy an xbox one because it is technically the cheapest way to play some of the big multiplats that get released in the future for the PS4 and xbox one where I live. The PS4 and xbox one have not really relied on exclusives that much to sell consoles since they released.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 khoofia_pika

@mjorh: I almost always purchase Nintendo systems. Not out of brand loyalty, of course (because I think I lean more toward Sony in that regard) but because Nintendo have such an astounding first party lineup, their systems are always bound to have at least a handful of great games.

It remains to be seen what they do with the NX though. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a Nintendo system since the Gamecube, so I'm hoping they blow my socks off.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

No. But they are the main reason why people will choose a console over another console.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Most people just want something they can plug into their TV and play games. That's about as much thought as they give it, my mates for example are still chugging along with Xbox 360's and have no intension of changing especially with all the dirt cheap games they can get.

Real gamers build PC's ;)