Are current PC RPG's better than Bioware games?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Are current PC RPG's better than Bioware games? (60 votes)

ye 82%
No 18%

Would it be fair to say games like Pillars Of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and Torment: Tides Of Numenera are better games than what Bioware have been distributing the last few years?

No Caption Provided

Haven't played all of these (no gaming expert) but I liked Divinity and Pillars.

• 
pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Oh hell yeah by a very wide margin.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Bioware games aren't hard to beat

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

In gameplay a good chunk of them are better.

In writing not that many.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

I've just played Pillars, but I think I like Mass Effect and Dragon Age more

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Essentially what we're comparing here are isometric Dungeon Crawlers with 3rd person action RPG's. And I very much like both but you have to recognize they deliver very different types of role play experiences. Particularly the 3rd person cinematic style is far more character driven in the narrative, and how the player connects with their avatar on a deeper level of immersion. While isomeric games are more focused on map charting, horde battles, and loot. There's pros and cons in both styles and like I said, I enjoy each for their unique perspectives (both in the visual and design sense) to the gaming experience.

As far as Shadowrun goes, not sure if you mean the older iso games, or the newer 1st person iteration. But you could also add Path of Exile, another superb PC isometric RPG ?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Some of those "PC" RPGs are on console too...

As for the topic, I haven't played any of those games you mentioned but they'd have to be pretty damn good to beat the Mass Effect Trilogy & KOTOR.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44106 Posts

I prefer the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games myself.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yea but they're pc built. Modern Bioware titles are now predominantly built for consoles = higher sales

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Bioware isn't what it used to be.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

Well, yes. BioWare hasnt been all to great since autocannibalization began. Even then I cant really say I have liked anything from them since NWN: Hordes ofthe Underdark.

Hell, I would argue that games from former BioWare employees are better than the games from BioWare itself. The Banner Saga, Neo Scavanger.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

The Internet, the place where people bandwagon ride to the point of absurdity.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Bioware hasn't made a decent RPG since DAO

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup

@AdobeArtist said:

Essentially what we're comparing here are isometric Dungeon Crawlers with 3rd person action RPG's. And I very much like both but you have to recognize they deliver very different types of role play experiences. Particularly the 3rd person cinematic style is far more character driven in the narrative, and how the player connects with their avatar on a deeper level of immersion. While isomeric games are more focused on map charting, horde battles, and loot. There's pros and cons in both styles and like I said, I enjoy each for their unique perspectives (both in the visual and design sense) to the gaming experience.

As far as Shadowrun goes, not sure if you mean the older iso games, or the newer 1st person iteration. But you could also add Path of Exile, another superb PC isometric RPG ?

My Polish friend keeps going on about Shadowrun, says Return isn't very good but Dragonfall is exceptionally good. He is generally reliable, except for not liking Dragons Dogma.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Yes there are better RPG's than the current Bioware stock. Having said that Andromeda really has me captivated and I'm really enjoying it

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Isometric Western RPGs are just about the peak of the entire RPG genre. Then you have your Japanese Tactical RPGs, and then there's the rest.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Yes.

Bioware has been dead for more than a decade, shit developer deserves shit sales.

Grow a pair and leave EA.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yea but they're pc built. Modern Bioware titles are now predominantly built for consoles = higher sales

they are as PC build as you claim Doom is console build.

they are on console. thus multiplatform.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Yes, their games barely even classify as RPGs these days. To go from making the best RPG of all time with BG2 to making Mess Effect: Andromeda. ☹

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Doom is a console built game. Checkpoints, Halo multiplayer, console built level maker. It's a fact of life my friend, attempt to tar pc rpg's will not change this reality nor will make any future criticisms of consoles extremely hypocritical.

We were the few real pc gamers on the board, but you've been corrupted, brand loyalty clouding objectivity. Things can never be the same.

You're as good as a console gamer now. No facade can hide that.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Yes.

Bioware has been dead for more than a decade, shit developer deserves shit sales.

Grow a pair and leave EA.

Unfortunately EA now owns everything BioWare.... They should have grown a pair 10+ years ago and then maybe they'd still have some of the OG talent. Most left after the EA acquisition.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Doom is a console built game. Checkpoints, Halo multiplayer, console built level maker. It's a fact of life my friend, attempt to tar pc rpg's will not change this reality nor will make any future criticisms of consoles extremely hypocritical.

We we're the few real pc gamers on the board, but you've been corrupted, letting brand name cloud objectivity.

no body play Doom for MP and MP was develop by different developer not id software.

also Doom on console play differently. its more slower like E3 footage we saw 2 years ago.

these top down RPG on console are same as on PC.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

We we're the few real pc gamers on the board, but you've been corrupted, letting brand name cloud objectivity.

no body play Doom for MP and MP was develop by different developer not id software.

also Doom on console play differently. its more slower like E3 footage we saw 2 years ago.

Hype Prey as well, console built game. Every demo running on 360 pad.

Time has eroded whatever principles may have existed, at this point it's a half-hearted novelty in the face of transition.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Hype Prey as well, console built game. Every demo running on 360 pad.

Time has eroded whatever principles may have existed, at this point it's a half-hearted novelty in the face of transition.

prey is like dishonored. PC UI and everything is different. it has lean and peak as well as quick save too.

but my dear friend you also hate Metro which is very very PC oriented.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Bioware games are shit RPGs IMO. Jade Empire, NWN2, ME series, Dragon age... its like im playing the same game with a different skin.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

@pelvist said:

Bioware games are shit RPGs IMO. Jade Empire, NWN2, ME series, Dragon age... its like im playing the same game with a different skin.

NWN2 isn't Bioware. Play Baldur's Gate II if you want Bioware at their peak before they started making action/adventure games with RPG elements.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@biack_goku said:
@pelvist said:

NWN2 isn't Bioware. Play Baldur's Gate II if you want Bioware at their peak before they started making action/adventure games with RPG elements.

but after baldurs gate 2. they have not made a good game. both dragon age and mass effect series are absolutely awful.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pelvist

@biack_goku: Oh I remember when Bioware games were good. I was there too.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

A game is a game. What a stupid f*cking statement. Even for you, sniper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Bioware games have been bad for quite some time...

Casual, terrible design choices ... and so far into the regressive Leftists politic territory its cringy.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Depends on what you're looking for...

An actual proper RPG ? or soap opera bs with awesome action gameplay that appeals to millennials and SJWs ?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup

Agree very much. Bioware is like a kid brought up by parents constantly praising their brilliance.

Eventually that praise makes the head go up the ass, a comfortable smugness takes hold and reality becomes distorted, a foot becoming a mile, a disaster becoming a blemish. Laurels, really big laurels.

The media are partially to blame, these pc games listed could be the greatest games in the world, and Bioware will get the media attention. They choose who becomes Coke and Pepsi and their reasoning is anything but quality or experience.

That back-patting has been subverted by core gamers. And now they are jumping aboard like they weren't part of the problem.

Incredibly pathetic. Incredibly so.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#33  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

I've only played one of the games you listed (Divinity: Original Sin), and... ...it's a bit weird, but in a good way. It certainly shakes things up a bit though. BioWare games tend to be a bit formulaic these days, and they don't even follow the formula well any more.

So, it's difficult for me to compare other RPGs with BioWare's. That said, it's a lot easier for me to compare BioWare RPGs with each other, and all I can say is that their quality have certainly noticeably deteriorated.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Bioware hasn't released a proper RPG is years. It's no longer enough for a 3rd person action game that incorporates some RPG elements to be an "RPG". Character progression has become common in so many different genres.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Yep.

Bioware has been going downhill since DA:O and ME2.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

Some are, some aren't. I didn't like Shadowfall or Wasteland 2, they're a bit ugly, simple, and hard to get invested in, but I think D:OS and PoE are more fun than modern Bioware titles. I have not tried Tides or Tyranny yet, I have heard Tyranny is a bit of a letdown though.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Under that logic, Witcher 3 is a PC RPG and it easily destroys anything Bioware has ever done since KOTOR.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

@pelvist said:

Dragon age and mass effect seem like two completely different games to me.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Bioware is literally a parody of itself. They would be well served to tear every bloody trope associated with Bioware games and rebuild from scratch.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@Vaasman said:

Some are, some aren't. I didn't like Shadowfall or Wasteland 2, they're a bit ugly, simple, and hard to get invested in, but I think D:OS and PoE are more fun than modern Bioware titles. I have not tried Tides or Tyranny yet, I have heard Tyranny is a bit of a letdown though.

how so ? I haven't played Tyranny myself yet but the only negative thing I heard about it , is the game being short considering that it wasn't really a high priority project for Obsidian

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pelvist

@Advid-Gamer: They seem like the same game with a different skin to me. Kinda like Skyrim and Fallout 3> do.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

@the_master_race said:
@Vaasman said:

how so ? I haven't played Tyranny myself yet but the only negative thing I heard about it , is the game being short considering that it wasn't really a high priority project for Obsidian

Well short but also not very satisfying as a story, like it ends abruptly and there aren't a lot of side quests and whatnot. My interest is somewhat low anyway to be honest, so conjecture alone was enough to make me hold off for a sale.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@Vaasman said:
@the_master_race said:
@Vaasman said:

Well short but also not very satisfying as a story, like it ends abruptly and there aren't a lot of side quests and whatnot. My interest is somewhat low anyway to be honest, so conjecture alone was enough to make me hold off for a sale.

Buy it, it's a 'letdown' for CRPG fans that compare it to greats. The story and presentation are much better than in Pillars of Eternity. The lore and world building is absolutely amazing, brilliantly detailed and very interesting - probably the best thing about this game. The combat is not quite up there with the PoE 3.05, but it's fun.

The ending may be dissapointing, but it's not bad. At the very least, i can easily say that Tyranny's writing, characters, quest design, world design and plot are of a quality light years ahead of what's been thrown out by Bethesda and Bioware (lmao) in the last 9 years.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Lucianu said:
@Vaasman said:
@the_master_race said:
@Vaasman said:

Buy it, it's a 'letdown' for CRPG fans that compare it to greats. The story and presentation are much better than in Pillars of Eternity. The lore and world building is absolutely amazing, brilliantly detailed and very interesting - probably the best thing about this game. The combat is not quite up there with the PoE 3.05, but it's fun.

The ending may be dissapointing, but it's not bad. At the very least, i can easily say that Tyranny's writing, characters, quest design, world design and plot are of a quality light years ahead of what's been thrown out by Bethesda and Bioware (lmao) in the last 9 years.

Completely forgot about Tyranny.

Don't think being short is automatically a bad thing, if you read everything in Pillars it will take an eternity to finish.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

The Bioware that made anything good no longer exist and the company of today is Bioware in name only.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Adromeda is good. Stop crying.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#47 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Bioware is dead. Rise of classic RPGs FTW!