Are consoles on par with PC this gen? Better? Worse?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are consoles on par with PC this gen? Better? Worse? (117 votes)

Consoles are better than PC this gen - they offer the best bang for your buck and have great exclusives you can't play on PC. 21%
Consoles are on par with PC. For all of the good exclusives consoles have, PC has the same amount. The difference in graphics quality is drastically less than it was before.. 12%
Consoles are worse than PC. PC has better performance and greater community. Cheaper games, and some more worthwhile exclusives. 67%

I think consoles have caught up with PC. There are still some cases where PC is a much better choice, but overall, most software is pretty much the same across platforms. Only difference is consoles have really good first party/third party exclusives. You also have to pay more to see a noticeable difference on PC. What say you, SW? What is your choice in this matter?

• 
TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#51 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@zaryia said:
@joshrmeyer said:

So sick of these comparisons. Define PC! It could be anything from a $299 desktop to a $3000 gaming setup. If you're gonna compare the two, they should at least be in the same price range.

Assume someone is talking about a high end gaming PC, since this is a gaming forum.

One that almost always uses websites that by default use high end gaming PCs for their reviews and tech breakdowns.

so for me given my tastes in games, looking at an metric out there from any angle other than maybe cost PC smashes consoles.

from number of games, to quality of games, from technical flexibility, to pure processing power, to number of players, to amount in sales, to quantity in sales

:)

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I own a PS4 and gaming PC and I can easily say PC gaming will always be ahead it's just a fact and you don't have to pay online which is a complete rip off I sure as hell wouldn't pay for it. Consoles are just good for their exclusives PC does everything better. It's just a shame that GPU mining is hurting PC consumers hopefully the prices will eventually go back down.As for consoles when the PS4 and Xboxone came out they already where under powered that's why we saw so many graphical downgrades this generation and that is why the consoles has to release mid gen upgrade systems.This generation would of been alot better if these system had better hardware from the start.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

@sexclusive said:

I have to say GoW looks as good as anything I've seen on a PC.

@sexclusive said:

I think some people often overstate the importance of 60FPS. In fact if they wasn't told I bet some wouldn't even notice the difference.

So why does GOW offer the option for 1080p 60fps or checkerboard rendering 30fps? If you been gaming on consoles most your life you probably will not "notice the difference". You've gone from 30fps PS3 to 30fps PS4 and will got to a 30fps PS5. Eye candy sells to casual gamers and that's what consoles are for.

Framerate is more important than eye candy for PC gamers. That's why high Hz monitors are selling more than 4K monitors. Easy to just say "looks better" strip it back to 1440p 60fps then see how it looks. Im just glad GOW gives the option because ill be playing it performance mode.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Well for me personally consoles are the better option. I like the value I get for the money, enjoy the console exclusives more then the PC exclusives, find it more convenient to game on consoles, and just prefer the whole interaction with and ecosystems of consoles over that of the PC. Probably the most important factor for me is that I can still get my console games on physical formats.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By TryIt

@Archangel3371 said:

Well for me personally consoles are the better option. I like the value I get for the money, enjoy the console exclusives more then the PC exclusives, find it more convenient to game on consoles, and just prefer the whole interaction with and ecosystems of consoles over that of the PC. Probably the most important factor for me is that I can still get my console games on physical formats.

so when magazines like 'Consumer Reports' and the like doing reviews its usually in two main 'arcs'

1. which is the best

2. which is the best for the price.

its interesting that 'for the price' is the line often used as the divider.

one might also say 'Car x is the best! but the best value for the money is car Y'

again a clear distinction between the two

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Archangel3371

@tryit: Umm, ok? Not really sure what your point is.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

@zaryia said:
@joshrmeyer said:

So sick of these comparisons. Define PC! It could be anything from a $299 desktop to a $3000 gaming setup. If you're gonna compare the two, they should at least be in the same price range.

Assume someone is talking about a high end gaming PC, since this is a gaming forum.

One were almost every console gamer sources/cites websites that by default use high end gaming PCs for their reviews and tech breakdowns, since the forum started.

I find it funny that PC gets the it cost money to keep upgrading treatment. While ignored on console, the original Xbox one in 2014 at release and the one X at release would cost you near a grand! So in 4 years you spent a grand on upgrading your console but it gets a free pass. Not mention the games cost more and need to pay for shit that's free on PC.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TryIt

@Archangel3371 said:

@tryit: Umm, ok? Not really sure what your point is.

sorry but my point is in what i said. it is the point

'price is not a determining factor for quality'

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Archangel3371

@tryit: Well good for you. Like I said in my initial post, I like the value that I get for the price of a console. You do whatever works for you and I’ll do whatever works for me.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TryIt

@Archangel3371 said:

@tryit: Well good for you. Like I said in my initial post, I like the value that I get for the price of a console. You do whatever works for you and I’ll do whatever works for me.

not good enough,

but I understand you are not intrested in listening or having a conversation about it so I will move on

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Archangel3371

@tryit: It’s good enough for me and you’re right, I’m not interested in having a conversation about it so it’s definitely better for you to move along.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@Archangel3371: the problem with PC elitists is this, they believe they're above everyone else. They can't accept the fact that we don't care about numbers, but about fun.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Calvincfb

@PCgameruk: except that all games are still developed with og Xbox and PS4 in mind, optimized first and foremost for those platforms, then get ported to PC and enhanced to pro and x.

Only idiots upgrade to ps4 pro and x, as it's utterly pointless, most people are fine with base hardware.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@PCgameruk said:
@zaryia said:
@joshrmeyer said:

One were almost every console gamer sources/cites websites that by default use high end gaming PCs for their reviews and tech breakdowns, since the forum started.

I find it funny that PC gets the it cost money to keep upgrading treatment. While ignored on console, the original Xbox one in 2014 at release and the one X at release would cost you near a grand! So in 4 years you spent a grand on upgrading your console but it gets a free pass. Not mention the games cost more and need to pay for shit that's free on PC.

Add in XBL charges, well over a grand. And another $650 in 2 years. So on so forth. High upgrade Price. More expensive games. Online charges. Long load times, Bad online. Crap libraries. Still stuck on 20-30 fps on low even after all that cash. Nice.

All the cons of upgrading. None of the benefits.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Calvincfb

@PCgameruk: I notice the difference between 30 and 60fps, but theyre not enough to justify spending money on a PC, since it takes 5 to 10 minutes to adjust from 30 to 60 and vice versa, believe Me, I've done it a lot of times since some games are 30 and others 60 fps. And to me higher framerate it's not worth the pricem

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Calvincfb

@zaryia: I barely paid $300 for my ps4+ps plus, I don't know what you're talking about.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Zaryia

@calvincfb said:

@zaryia: I barely paid $300 for my ps4+ps plus, I don't know what you're talking about.

I got my PC for nearly free due to were I work, who cares about empirical data. I'm talking about the price average most people pay at launch and for a new console and 3 years of online.

$500 launch. $50 a month. Every 3 years. All the cons of upgrading, none of the benefits.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Calvincfb

@zaryia: ps4 was 400 at launch, ps plus is 70 dollars a year. I still don't know what you're talking about.

That adds in four years to $680.

Do your math and get your facts right please.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Calvincfb

@zaryia: I'm ashamed you have your nickname after zaryia since she's an amazing character and you're such a douche. Sad.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Zaryia

@calvincfb said:

@zaryia: ps4 was 400 at launch, ps plus is 70 dollars a year. I still don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry I'm thinking XBOX1X prices. A new PS unit will typically launch at $400. PSNPlus $70 a year.

That's $610 every 3 years to keep up to date. Not worth it for a system that runs games so poorly.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Calvincfb

@zaryia: to me it's still worth it than $1000 plus PC gamer, sorry.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Archangel3371

@zaryia: You also have to factor in that you get “free” games plus extra discounts on sales for the money you pay for the console online subscription fees.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Calvincfb

@zaryia: false, upgrading to ps4 pro and X1X is unnecessary as I've already said above.

If you want to get a ps4 at launch and suppose the PS4 have a life cycle of 7 years, you pay $400 dollars + 7*70, equals to 890 dollars, still better than paying $1000 for a PC gamer.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TryIt

@calvincfb said:

@zaryia: to me it's still worth it than $1000 plus PC gamer, sorry.

when I was in my mid 30s I was looking into buying a very high end stereo system.

I could have gone and bought a system for around $500 but I ended up instead spending around $2000 just for sound.

why do you think I did that?

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Calvincfb

@tryit: I don't know and I don't care. Not my life, nor my money.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TryIt

@calvincfb said:

@tryit: I don't know and I don't care. Not my life, nor my money.

I think I am going to start a thread which asks 'which group of gamers is the most closed minded'

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Zaryia

@calvincfb said:

@zaryia: false, upgrading to ps4 pro and X1X is unnecessary

Enjoy your 20-30 on low 1080-720p.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@zaryia: There's Pros and Cons to each. The OG PS4 back in 2013 can play the same games still. An equivalent PC in 2013 for the same price probably wouldn't be able to play a game like Farcry 5 and if it did, it'd look and play way worse than the PS4 version. Paying to play online kinda sucks, but at least you get the "free" games each month and "free" cloud storage. Also you are way less likely to get any kind of virus or other bugs like you would on an open system such as PC. If they is any issue, a patch goes out and 70+ million ps4s are fixed. It's somewhat like paying for an antivirus program, plus tech support, etc. I miss the RTS games on PC, but anything else I can find on console. The Xbox one to Xbox X thing was totally optional. Although it was much more needed than PS4 to Pro. Going back to my original point, why is a high end PC ever compared to a console? A Camry and Corvette both do the same thing, just one does it better(if you need speed and visuals, metaphorically and literally). So when people compare "PC" to console, it's always going to win. "High end PC" can mean various different things to different people too. PC is just a super vague description.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 JoshRMeyer

@Archangel3371: Free antivirus, tech support, a somewhat cheater free playing experience, etc etc... People like to leave that part out. I'll never play multiplayer on PC again, unless it's just co-op.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 JoshRMeyer

@zaryia: "Enjoy your 20-30 on low 1080-720p."

We do... That's what you PC elitist don't get. I also enjoy my 1080p tv still. Some of us don't need the newest and best all the time. I went through that stage for a while, then realized there's always something better out there, and I'm just spinning my wheels and spending money for very little reason.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@zaryia: "Enjoy your 20-30 on low 1080-720p."

We do... That's what you PC elitist don't get. I also enjoy my 1080p tv still. Some of us don't need the newest and best all the time. I went through that stage for a while, then realized there's always something better out there, and I'm just spinning my wheels and spending money for very little reason.

which is GREAT!

I LOVE my Chromebook for watching movies, love it.

but I would never suggest it is better than a $4000 home theather system and I wouldnt make 'its better' a friggin lifestyle either

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 JoshRMeyer

@tryit: "I think I am going to start a thread which asks 'which group of gamers is the most closed minded'"

PC gamers by far... It has to be a certain frame rate or the game automatically sucks to them. Not all, but the ones that only game on PC. The ones who constantly mock a good game because it's not native 4k, or their PC can run at at 100+ fps. Console gamers seem to by open minded although specs have seemed to be a huge talking point this gen for some reason. I think if most console gamers had the extra money, they'd also be playing on PC... Most of us do not.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@tryit: "I think I am going to start a thread which asks 'which group of gamers is the most closed minded'"

PC gamers by far... It has to be a certain frame rate or the game automatically sucks to them. Not all, but the ones that only game on PC. The ones who constantly mock a good game because it's not native 4k, or their PC can run at at 100+ fps. Console gamers seem to by open minded although specs have seemed to be a huge talking point this gen for some reason. I think if most console gamers had the extra money, they'd also be playing on PC... Most of us do not.

most people here will not even speak to me.

if they do they just troll it.

but PC gamers are the closed minded ones?

One time I literally made up the name of a game (game didnt exist) and I had someone tell me they were not intrested in that game.

game didnt exist?

but PC gamers are the close minded ones

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#84  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

im probably going to be in the minority here but i think consoles are going backwards in a lot of ways.

growing up PCs and consoles always offered 2 distinct experiences.

the PC was a puzzlebox. you built it, troubleshot it when needed, games would be buggy (but also very ambitious) and, of course, it offered more power generally. hardware could also be changed and upgraded. there were large patches. there were old jokes about not using a version of windows until the first service pack and not buying games until a few patches in. format and reinstalls of the OS and so on but that was accepted because the PC was an experimental platform. it was this wild west of developers and hardware designers going a bit mad.

consoles were toys. toasters. i dont mean this as an insult or to make them seem less in anyway. consoles just worked. you buy a game for the console and it just worked. no patches. no messing. trouble shooting came to try game X in another console...does it work? if it does then your console is broken, if it doesnt then the disc is faulty. there is value in that. you buy a box, it gets game support for X number of years then you get the next gen and it just worked. a console was supposed to do one thing and do it very well at a certain price point: play games.

last gen and this gen i think the roles have somewhat blurred. the phrase "all of the downsides of PC gaming with none of the upsides" has hit the mark i think. massive game patches, big OS updates, mid gen refreshes. i mean 8 hours is what it takes me to patch GT6 on the PS3. 8 hours. no game in my 20 years of gaming has come even close to taking 8 hours and i played some MMOs on a 56k modem at one stage. large installs (so no more just putting the disc in and getting on with it). half the ram used by the OS. that doesnt even happen on the PC.

a lot of this stuff is stuff console gamers used to ridicule PC gamers over. the complexity, the bugs, the hassle and so on. yet it just seems to be creeping into console more and more each gen. outside of exclusives (which is a good reason in fairness. many great games are exclusive to a platform) what other benefit does a console today really offer?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TryIt

@osan0 said:

im probably going to be in the minority here but i think consoles are going backwards in a lot of ways.

growing up PCs and consoles always offered 2 distinct experiences.

the PC was a puzzlebox. you built it, troubleshot it when needed, ...

I want to stop you right there and interject something.

I know I dont represent all PC gamers and I might not even represent most PC gamers however in my 34 years of being exclusively a PC gamer I have built a total of ONE PC.

My impression is that being a PC gamer (like that of a console gamer) is not about an IT resume, its about the GAME. its not about USB ports its about the GAME. so I take issue with your lead on that paragraph

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 pouriarjj
Member since 2018 • 168 Posts

actually they probably used to be better than pcs in the past, pcs used to be really expensive and consoled used to get way more first party and third party exclusives. now the obvious choice is pc

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Wow PC basement dwellers have a lot of alts, not surprised

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 TryIt

@GioVela2010 said:

what is it with everyone and all the ad hominem attacks?

what is the point exactly?

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@calvincfb said:

@pelvist: again: don't care. not my money, not my time.

Still diminishing returns.

Calvin, do you own an Xbox One X or a PS4 Pro?

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

One of the issues I have with PC might seem frivolous, but I’ve grown really used to playing shooters with a controller. Mouse and keyboard feels so lifeless and detached. I don’t want to be forced to use mouse/kb in order to “get gud”.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#91 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts

Anyone with a brain knows that people who play consoles don't know any better.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 TryIt

@ProjectPat187 said:

Anyone with a brain knows that people who play consoles don't know any better.

hand to god you could give them a list of fake names for PC games and ask them if they have looked into these and they would say

'not intrested'

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I have never seen a poll on this site where PC is part of the equation and console, combined or separated, wins. Truth will always prevail.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#94  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@calvincfb said:

But you're throwing the quality word to justify the fact you spent money on a platform to play slightly better version of the same games.

Lol no. Just a handful of the games I play are available on consoles (Doom, and uh...I guess that's all I'm playing currently that is also on consoles). I mean, Sony/MS don't have the balls to publish something like Hatred. Cities: Skylines would choke those puny console CPUs. The one Civilization game last gen consoles got was laughable. No way could you put a real Total War game on consoles.

I just went back on modded up STALKER: SoC with some high rez textures and community patch, and it's better than most games this gen. And I didn't have to buy the game again just for a texture update.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@GioVela2010 said:

Pot meet kettle

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@GioVela2010: whatever you say, m3.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#97 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

@joshrmeyer:A GTX 750 ti which only came out about 3 months after the PS4 and Xbox One release performs slightly to somewhat better than a PS4 can depending on the game. You could easily build a $400 PC with a GTX 750 ti in it or easily slide it into a cheap prebuilt PC. It can run Far Cry 5 at 1080p High settings 30fps. It can also play games such as Kingdom Come: Deliverance with noticeably better performance at the same graphical settings, you could also run it at 1080p unlike the OG consoles. Keep in mind one can also overclock their graphics card to get extra performance out it.

Viruses? Is this 2004? Lay off the porn and other sketchy sites or at the very least you can easily install a free anti virus such as Avast or AVG to get the job done.

Console gamers IMO are the more close minded ones. They're the ones that dismiss entire genres and games just because they're aren't heavily button mashing action oriented, cinematic and big budget. I can easily go on several gaming forums and youtube and watch console gamers call games such as Total War and Pillars Of Eternity trash games or crap mobile games and the only real games are -insert third person action adventure game or first person shooter-. Most devs themselves have even stated that PC gamers are more likely to try games that are different. Console gamers are the ones that spread misinformation about PC and refuse to acknowledge they're wrong when corrected.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

@nomadic8280 said:

One of the issues I have with PC might seem frivolous, but I’ve grown really used to playing shooters with a controller. Mouse and keyboard feels so lifeless and detached. I don’t want to be forced to use mouse/kb in order to “get gud”.

Tank-Like analog controllers for aiming isn't detached? I can follow the aim with my eyes/mouse for more fluently/attached than the whole dual analog issue requiring 2 slugish inputs to achieve the same thing.. only slower and far more prone to error

I dunno man, different strokes and all. Rumble is useful, but beyond that, I really don't see how the input device effects immersion in this scenario... its not like a controller is designed to immerse in multiple genres either.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@calvincfb said:

I'm perfectly happy enjoying my games in 1080/30fps with low to medium settings.

Holy shit kid. It's 2018 lol.