Are certain Sony games too violent/brutal?

• 60 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are certain Sony games too violent/brutal? (47 votes)

Yes, they should tone it down a bit. 9%
Yes, but I like it/don't mind it. 21%
Nah, it's a video game, who cares! 70%

After playing Last of Us 2 and now Ghost of Tsushima, the amount of violence in these games are pretty stark. I've seen limbs fall off, people get stabbed through their face, and other horrific things.. Does this level of violence bother you, SW? Should Sony tone it down? I don't see this type of stuff in other games, even games like Dark Souls. But definitely not in Xbox games and sure as hell not Nintendo games. And bonus question: does this set Sony apart from them in a good way?

• 
DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Doesn't one of the major MS/Xbox franchises encourage cutting enemies in half with a chainsaw and curb stomping them?

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Those 2 and GoW are the only ones. There's like 20 other one's that's that level of violence.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44946 Posts

I forgot about Gears of War lol. It's true, it does involve dismemberment. I guess the difference here at least from my perspective is that that violence is cartoony. In the Sony games I mentioned, it seems more realistic.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38136 Posts

Why would anything (in reason) be too much in a video game. Violence in TLOU2 is easily one of the best thing about it.

Loading Video...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

Have not played those games, so I’m not sure. I guess some of it has to do with characters looking more realistic now. So if you go all in on violence it can get a bit sickening.

I think it’s fine for the most part, but if it becomes like surgery I’m out lol. I thought a couple of scenes in GTAV were a bit much. I’m really no fan of torture. I don’t find it “funny”.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Nothing is too violent if it's fiction. Than it's up to the person to know if it's too violent for themselves.

Developers being forced to watch videos of people being killed to recreate it in games. That is criminal imo.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

The realistic violence like some of the stuff in The Last of Us 2 certainly makes me feel uncomfortable. I don’t mind the stuff in games like Gears of War because it’s so ridiculously over the top. Its when you get stuff that’s acted out to a more realistic degree of people in the throws of death, pain, and suffering where it becomes unbearable for me.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#8  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10562 Posts

Well, you know, violence is fun. Violence is cathartic. Violence has always been an integral part of entertainment media, and video games are no exception.

The real issue, I think, is whether violence becomes gratuitous and silly, which can clash with the tone of the game. Mortal Kombat's fatalities, for example, gets regular bleating about from the non-gaming crowd, but I just find them hilarious. Which, to be fair, fits Mortal Kombat just fine, because MK has the tone and writing of a Saturday morning cartoon, a comic book and soap opera surgically stitched together like a Frankenstein monster. But that might not work in every game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen

@phbz said:

Nothing is too violent if it's fiction. Than it's up to the person to know if it's too violent for themselves.

Developers being forced to watch videos of people being killed to recreate it in games. That is criminal imo.

What? Its an actual thing? That's fuckedup. Not even sure why they'd need to watch people being killed.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts

It's fictional media. If it's too brutal for you, don't play it. Fictional media can be as violent as the author/creator wants.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Nah, you can always play Halo if violence bothers you, pew pew.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@hardwenzen: There's a Jim Sterling episode where he talks about it and even quotes developers saying how it messes up with their mental health.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Archangel3371

@phbz: Yeah I heard that some have had to watch stuff like people being hung, stabbed, etc. numerous times just so that they can get it right in a video game. That’s got to really be some troubling stuff to someone’s well being and something that is definitely not right.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen

@phbz said:

@hardwenzen: There's a Jim Sterling episode where he talks about it and even quotes developers saying how it messes up with their mental health.

I have to find that video, cuz its real hard for me to believe this is a thing in 2020. You never know, tho.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@phbz said:

Nothing new, and not just for video games. A buddy of mine worked on the set of "The Devil's Rejects" and he was doing a scene of a young lady getting splattered by an 18-wheeler. He had to look at photos of the remnants of people who got hit by 18-wheelers.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46004 Posts

Nah, I either love the violence or it doesn't bother me.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

No game I have seen is as brutal/close to the bone as Game of thrones

And people can’t get enough of that

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371

Here’s the Jim Sterling video for anyone interested.

Loading Video...

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9479 Posts

There is a reason the games are rated what they are. If you don't like it then don't play it... simple as that. It's like going into a strip club and getting offended at seeing nudity (can't get in the door unless you're 18).. People get offended about everything these days. If they thing this is too much then when was the last time those people opened a book? Let things be. Video games and other sources of fantasy media are an outlet to see and do the things that you can't do in everyday life and anyone that doesn't understand that needs to try and find a way to look at things from another point of view. Most of those that oppose the views have an agenda, career, or reputation they are trying to advance and don't really care either way. Although TLoU2 (didn't play it since I had no interest) may have been very realistic (or even a bit over the top) wasn't that the point?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts

Sony games can be violent, but I don't see violence in video games exclusive to Sony games. There's plenty of violence out there on all sides of the spectrum.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5234 Posts

I never understand why some people refused to accept the common sense advice of "If you don't like it, don't watch or buy it." Even with this simple advice, they still complain or advocate censoring what they disliked.

The same goes with violence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Nobody does violence like Sony. TLoU2 is probably the most violent game ever made. It's not just the violence in and of itself, but also the way it is depicted. Largely the way it is depicted. The screams, the agony, the begging, the bones poking through stubbed limbs, the faces turned into non-faces, etc. etc. Sure, limbs/heads have been blown off in other games, but something about the way it feels in TLoU2 is just on another level. It's so weighty, so heavy. It can make you feel sick.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The Last of Us is a severely brutal game. It's a major reason why I didn't buy the sequel. Ghost honestly doesn't feel half as bad in comparison. Not sure why.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

I'm not off-put by it, but there's a place for violence. I have yet to play TLoU2, but I think Sony straddles the line fairly well. GoT is quite violent, but it makes sense within the world. Jin isn't walking up to Mongols and having a friendly convo with an invading force, because that's just stupid.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Why would anything (in reason) be too much in a video game. Violence in TLOU2 is easily one of the best thing about it.

Loading Video...

I love the 5:20 part where ellie properly grabs the pickups. It's not perfect all the time but when it clicks, it's great.

I've never seen some of those kills.

ND should take it to the next level by adding more contextual deaths and body destruction.

@Telekill said:

The Last of Us is a severely brutal game. It's a major reason why I didn't buy the sequel. Ghost honestly doesn't feel half as bad in comparison. Not sure why.

Tight camera probably has to do with it. TLoU2's violence is closer to your face and the animations are drawn out.

Setting also helps because TLoU2 is in a modern setting so it might have sub conscious factor going on. You relate more to it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44946 Posts

@Telekill said:

If you think Last of Us is severely brutal, Last of Us 2 is ten times worse lol.

@lundy86_4 said:

I'm not off-put by it, but there's a place for violence. I have yet to play TLoU2, but I think Sony straddles the line fairly well. GoT is quite violent, but it makes sense within the world. Jin isn't walking up to Mongols and having a friendly convo with an invading force, because that's just stupid.

I think you would like TLoU2. Gameplay is amazing.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

Only if you are a puss puss

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm gonna get there eventually lol. Just too many games and other shit. I wasn't a fan of the leaks, but I said i'm giving the game a fair shake, and i'll definitely do that.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Yes, that's why I like them.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46004 Posts

TLOU 2 executions are way too kid friendly.

When can we get another Manhunt?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rzxv04

@lundy86_4 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm gonna get there eventually lol. Just too many games and other shit. I wasn't a fan of the leaks, but I said i'm giving the game a fair shake, and i'll definitely do that.

Custom difficulty might be fun.

Increase HP, lots of supplies = so you can mess around more with the mechanics.

Max difficulty almost every other setting.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

After reading Berserk I've been desensitized to violence and other dark matters

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

Context is king.

But yes, gratuitous violence itself can very obviously be a cheap, lazy manner to evoke a response.

Most video games depict it as something akin to a cartoon or B-movie where-by we don't really register it as disturbing.

Last Of Us 2 is a rare case, where it's purposefully using the fidelity offered by medium now to directly (via real dead people reference) emulate mortality as a 1/1.

Which, unsurprisingly we have hipster gaming journalists coming out with dribble like "Schindler's List" to artificially propel it above such criticisms, because Le_Art is the context, more arty art than those pleb games you were playing before, ya dicks.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11004 Posts

Oh god yes. I played Ratchet and Clank and nearly hurled my lunch. Wait... they get more violent than that?!

*Clutches pearls* *Faints*

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

After reading Berserk I've been desensitized to violence and other dark matters

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Nope just a video game I enjoy the violence a great way to let out some anger in Covid era.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Nah

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

I never understand why some people refused to accept the common sense advice of "If you don't like it, don't watch or buy it." Even with this simple advice, they still complain or advocate censoring what they disliked.

The same goes with violence.

That's not really how the world works. Typically if something taboo is in the public domain, rather than moving away from it, people on mass will be attracted to it. Be is a train crash or Mortal Kombats naughty blood.

In a serious incident you'll literally get assholes standing with a phone camera trying to capture it (rather than helping) for their own personal validation.

Hating something can get just as much, if not more investment than liking it.

Last Of Us 2, more so than the violence, got hate on a premise, with assholes who never played it, never had any intention of playing it, throwing bitch fits and directly trying to monetize through the hate accumulated.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2522 Posts

It's culturally relative isn't it? If you're brought up in a sheltered Western family, then somewhere probably between the ages of nine and the onset of puberty, you're going to have your first encounters with the notion of death and the carnal nature of life and reproduction. Games and horror movies afford a safe space for kids and early teens to explore death and "gore", helping them to come to terms with ideas they might otherwise have found traumatic and to trade the real experience for gentle titillation. From there, the next horrors they'll find fascination in are likely to be social and existential, where our fears, by that age, tend to lie.

I think if you gave the average Sony "violent" experience to kids from a war-torn region of the world to enjoy, where they'd already experienced death and real-world violence, they'd look at you like you were emotionally stunted. And I do think Sony realises that there are also grown-ups who play their games, adults who in many cases *are* maturationally hindered. And so it's important to bury the catharsis under themes that both pre-pubescents and developmentally delayed older gamers won't wittingly notice as being patronising.

Do they go too far with the actual depiction of violence, though? No idea. Don't play that dross. Really I just wanted to see if I could get through this train of thought without using the word "retarded", and look at that, I made it. :)

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Last of Us II’s violence is somewhat enhanced by its setting and not going over the top and thus making it more believable. I enjoyed playing the game but I did close my eyes a fair bit. That being said if they do wind up making even more violent games I probably wouldn’t play them unless they give you the option to censor the gore (even in cutscene). GoT I think gives you the option in gameplay I think.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

I don't really care one way or the other, but I think some of the violence can be exploitive in a sense, like "Really? This is what you're doing with your talent and time?" I think they are trying to tap into that same allure that those real-life death and gore videos have for a solid % of the population, and that is frankly a bit disturbing to me.

I make a distinction between violence and gore as well. Games like Gears of War are gorier than The Last of Us 2, but TLOU2 to me at least is a lot more violent because of its somewhat realistic depictions. Makes it hit home a lot harder.

Shooting an unarmed prisoner with little blood and guts will always upset me a lot more than chainsawing an enemy in half with gore and gibs flying everywhere.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rzxv04

@mrbojangles25 said:

I don't really care one way or the other, but I think some of the violence can be exploitive in a sense, like "Really? This is what you're doing with your talent and time?" I think they are trying to tap into that same allure that those real-life death and gore videos have for a solid % of the population, and that is frankly a bit disturbing to me.

I make a distinction between violence and gore as well. Games like Gears of War are gorier than The Last of Us 2, but TLOU2 to me at least is a lot more violent because of its somewhat realistic depictions. Makes it hit home a lot harder.

Shooting an unarmed prisoner with little blood and guts will always upset me a lot more than chainsawing an enemy in half with gore and gibs flying everywhere.

I tried watching some Gears 5 chainsaws and it happens too fast and only little resistance in terms of animation, it's like they open up. I understand the speed of it as a gameplay design though but if you have a really, good animator I am sure they can even do it even if the entire instance only lasts a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK7LNsEiF9A

I also checked this and I think animation resistance would've totally changed the tone of the executions. Instead of just being there lying, it could be more like last of us sp where they wince and do defensive poses like "don't kill me".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7COIV-UBMEY

When you get chainsawed, the animation should that be of struggle, holding and trying to grab the killer and/or the chainsaw not just slightly spazzing.

Then again, maybe it was a design choice with the recent entries but Gears seem pretty brutal back then.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2919 Posts

Ever played Soldier of Fortune or Mortal Kombat? Video game violence is nothing new. You might even want to try a 1986 Commodore game, Commando Libya, where you are forced to behead people before you can type in your name. And the bonus stage is about executing children. So no, a violent Sony game is nothing new.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Sooooo...never heard of Gears of War? What about Ryse? Even Ninja Gaiden 2 was Xbox exclusive for a while and that game was BRUTAL!!!

Come again OP

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

Violence doesn’t bother me, seeing someone suffer does.

Games such as TLoU 2 doesn’t get to me in the slightest, but I cannot stomach watching any real videos that show someone getting killed, beheaded, burned alive, skinned, etc. It’s more so the knowledge that one is fictitious while the other is not. I can always pull my suspension of disbelief right back in when needs be. When I can’t, I’ll step away. It’s just not something I need or want to see, I can imagine how horrific it is.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rzxv04

@MirkoS77 said:

Games such as TLoU 2 doesn’t get to me in the slightest, but I cannot stomach watching any real videos that show someone getting killed, beheaded, burned alive, skinned, etc. It’s more so the knowledge that one is fictitious while the other is not. I can always pull my suspension of disbelief right back in when needs be. When I can’t, I’ll step away. It’s just not something I need or want to see, I can imagine how horrific it is.

Same. Even smaller wounds in real videos or real life, I easily get queasy. Not games.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#48  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17765 Posts

Can you shove your fist up an enemy's ass, pull it out and cut off the prolapsed rectum? If not, it is not violent enough. LOL

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 2999 Posts

@BassMan: dawg. That's some just you shit

No "LOL".. just why is that the first thing you go to. Dafuq is wrong with you?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#50  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17765 Posts

@uitravioience said:

@BassMan: dawg. That's some just you shit

No "LOL".. just why is that the first thing you go to. Dafuq is wrong with you?

Dude, the Mortal Kombat finishers I have thought up over the years..... take MK to the next level! LOL