Are casual gamers actually good for the progression of gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zkalra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zkalra
Member since 2002 • 1089 Posts

A topic stirring things up in the industry echelons seems to be the decision to appeal to casuals along with the 'core' gamers.  IMO everyone starts out being a casual and if hooked progresses onto bcoming a core gamer.  However, if game developers, keeping sales in mind, end up creating more software for th bankable casual gaming market, is that really good fo the overall game industry?  I mean if features and complexity is dumbed down in order to cater to the masses then how is that going to effect us 'core' gamers?  

Your thoughts and comments please!! 

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

However, if game developers, keeping sales in mind, end up creating more software for th bankable casual gaming market, is that really good fo the overall game industry?

zkalra

Well, exactly the same thing happens to the 'core' games, especially this gen - most of the big games are just sequels with very little innovation. I don't really think gaming is progressing much at all either way.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
Yes, because I like to believe that we all started off as casuals....whatever that is.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#4 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Games that actually advance a genre or put the industry on it's head largely go unnoticed that's why I think developers try to find the happy medium of fun for casuals and the core and profit for them.
ExtremeOne316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ExtremeOne316
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

we are all gamers who needs stupid lables like hardcore or casual if you play video games then your a gamer . this stupid ass notion that you are either this or that needs to end. all games are good for the industry.  

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

All you guys argue about is AAA games.

Well how many AAA games are there in a year? Not many. Thanks to casuals buying other crap EA has enough money to make Dead Space.

So my point is: casuals = revenue. 

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

All you guys argue about is AAA games.

Well how many AAA games are there in a year? Not many. Thanks to casuals buying other crap EA has enough money to make Dead Space.

So my point is: casuals = revenue. 

Blue-Sky

This guy has a point.

Besides, a lot of games that people call "core" are actually very casual-oriented (Halo 3, Gears 2, GTAIV etc etc). 

Xuix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xuix
Member since 2003 • 233 Posts

Its a double edged sword, on one hand it promotes growth, but on the other originality and complexity usually make way for simplicity and mediocrity.

If you pander to only what sells, you get a saturated market.

Like the one currently happening today.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
Well casuals help fun our devs so they can make big games,but sometimes they make devs think that they can just put out crap and it will sell.
superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 superjim42
Member since 2005 • 3588 Posts

its good to cater for them. but to make the main focus of your gaming strategy is not good idea.

gaming has always been supported by the majority of hardcore gamers. if companies turn soft on us we will be seeing less of the cool gritty games like god of war or gears or stalker etc.

bf2nutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bf2nutta
Member since 2007 • 1356 Posts
everyone started somewhere so yeah Casual gamers are needed for the progression of gaming because some of those actually progress to "core" gamers.....
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

all types of gamers help the gaming industry, casual gamers included... the first time i got a console i was new to gaming and therefore would fall under the so calledf 'casual gamer' cathegory... years later i consider myself a gamer since i dont really see a difference between casual & hardcore...

Growing up you have more commitments like studying, work, family etc etc therefore your gaming time becomes more limited, but that doesnt make you less of a gamer than someone who spends 5 hours a day gaming...

Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
Not really. But the Wii can be an example of how trying to appeal yo casuals can ruin gaming.
zkalra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zkalra
Member since 2002 • 1089 Posts

The question is that if developers start making games to suit the sensibilities of the casual (read - 4 hours a week to 10 hours a week) gamers, then would that lead to more uncomplicated, easy to beat and less innovative games????  I mean there is no way a mom playing wii-fit is going to be able to play Bioshock or Fallout 3 with any level of proficiency so if revenues from games like Rock Star and Guitar Hero apart from the wii blockbusters are going to be huge then is it a logical extrapolation to believe that at some point developers are going to start focusing their energies towards these genres???? 

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

more people -> more money -> more jobs -> more ideas -> better games

Not really. But the Wii can be an example of how trying to appeal yo casuals can ruin gaming.Tulak_Hord
how did it ruin anything ? 

if gaming was like the SW people here want it would be all shooters

and thats what i really dont like to happen

only shooters and nothing else im glad that the wii brings some variety to the table 

tgzbdnosic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tgzbdnosic
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts
well they pay money so i think that's all that matters, but actually playing with them online. . . . well yeah, maybe not so great
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Casual gamers are definately needed. You need to keep fueling the hardcore fires.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
I'd think that if You start developing games, living up to a developer legend like Blizzard is something You can spend Your entire life on without ever reaching. Todays standards are extremely high. Take a random object like a tree in Oblivion and check out what work it took to get it there. Or read the TF2 developers blog. There is so much thought put into everything.
And we only play the best of the best.
It's good if developers have a chance to get away with flaws with an audience who aren't as picky as we are.
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
All casual gamers have brung to the gaming industry are crap games = FACT. All the money that comes from casual gaming is not spent on better things but more crap instead = FACT. Casuals ruin gaming = FACT.
RuinedMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RuinedMachine
Member since 2008 • 622 Posts
People are confused.

People think that when they started gaming on the NES in 1985 they started with casual games. No we did not. Super Mario Bros. was not a casual game. Especially not in 1985.

Everyone starts off as a casual gamer, but there is a huge difference between casual gamers starting to game with Super Mario Bros. and casual gamers starting to game with Wii Fit and Wii Music.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts
It's catch 22. If it wasn't for them games wouldn't be a feasible means of making money, but... then there is the EA crowd.
Avatar image for Cloud_in_midgar
Cloud_in_midgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cloud_in_midgar
Member since 2008 • 489 Posts
I hate casual gaming, games like guitar hero and wii fit really annoy me and like the guy above me said, the money raked in from casual games dosent go towards hardcore games it just gors towards more crap casual games.