Apple reject Valves Steam Link App

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Bugger!

'The Steam Link app announced earlier this month is already in beta on Android, but iOS users may not get to experience it.

According to Valve, the app has been rejected from the App Store and a follow-up appeal was denied.

Similar to the Steam Link device for TVs, the free Steam Link app would allow users to play games from their Steam libraries on their devices if that device was connected to a host PC via a wired or wi-fi network. The app supports Steam controllers and several others. It released in beta on Android earlier this week, but the full version for iOS, planned for a May 21 launch, was nowhere to be found.

According to Valve, Apple approved the app on May 7, after which Valve announced Steam Link for iOS and Android to the public. The next morning, Apple revoked the approval due to "business conflicts that had allegedly not been realized by the initial review team."

A subsequent appeal from Valve did not change Apple's decision, which unfortunately leaves the app as an Android-only release unless Apple reconsiders.

It is unknown whether or not the planned Steam Video app (which lets users stream Steam movies and TV to their device) will be similarly affected. Steam Video is planned for release later this summer.

Apple is known for keeping tight control on its ecosystem, and has previously prevented companies from releasing apps that are essentially storefronts for other services. It's likely this is at least part of the reason behind this rejection.'

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-24-steam-link-app-rejected-by-apple

Wonder Why...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Competitties.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

Not on amazons (shitty) app store either, as they love being assholes and try to blot out Googleplay.

But.. just download APK, works fine

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

They want Steam to pay them a cut, because Steam is "store like" even if it's just a streaming app. Apple is one of the least consumer friendly companies on the planet. I don't know anyone can try to assume Valve is anywhere near the same league as a company which will try to prevent you from having your phone repaired because they'd rather sell you a new one, or a company which slows your phone down so that you'll assume you need a new one. OR a company that would sue its competitors because they used a similar shape to their own phone as if they owned the patent on a rectangle with rounded corners.

In other words, Android wins again!!! (Sorry I'm an Android fanboy)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Apple is just awful. I hate using their products. If you like OSX, get Ubuntu. It's faster and more stable

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@davillain- said:

They want Steam to pay them a cut, because Steam is "store like" even if it's just a streaming app. Apple is one of the least consumer friendly companies on the planet. I don't know anyone can try to assume Valve is anywhere near the same league as a company which will try to prevent you from having your phone repaired because they'd rather sell you a new one, or a company which slows your phone down so that you'll assume you need a new one. OR a company that would sue its competitors because they used a similar shape to their own phone as if they owned the patent on a rectangle with rounded corners.

It's not even about them being anti-consumer, it's about them being grossly incompetent. Over the last few years, designers and engineers at Apple have been nothing short of terrible. They completely throw function in favor of form. They don't give a shit how well a device performs or how reliable it is. They just care that it looks good and is slim. It wasn't always like that. Prior to the iPhone 6, there was a solid balance of form and function.

Case and point; they made the iPhone 6 so slim there was the bending controversy. People have been complaining about the battery life of iPhones for years starting with the iPhone 6. Apple did intentionally make the battery life terrible, the battery is simply so slim it doesn't hold cells large enough for a prolonged battery life. Eventually it got so bad they had to release a software update that throttle down the performance during peak demands from the battery to stop the phones from unexpectedly shutting down. It wasn't done to make consumers buy phones, it was down to fix their own incompetence in regards to the design. The same flaw plagued to iPhone 6S. The iPhone 7 seems to be more or less OK for now, relatively speaking of course.

They also made major designs flaws on the 12" Macbook, the new Macbook Pros with Touch bar and the one without a Touch Bar. Apple products look nice but they have been absolutely terrible since 2013. The only good ones are the ones with tried and true designs like the MacBook Air, the 15" Macbook Pro with retina and the iPhone SE but that's mostly because they're old designs that were introduced or created during the Steve Jobs era. You may call Steve Jobs a lot of things but he cared about quality and if it were up to him, a lot of these products would have been scrapped and people would have lost their jobs for their sheer ineptitude at creating products that both look good and work properly.

It's not even planned, intentional anti-consumerism. They just suck at creating products now and refuse to own up to it and would rather the customer pay for their flaws instead of admitting they fucked up.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Apple was good from about 2005-2014 and they were like the biggest company in the world. I bet they lost that lead by a wide margin now. It's surprising how the head of an organisation really does reverberate down throughout the whole company.

Jobs should have been grooming a successor for years, that was a huge oversight on his part. The replacement CEO Tim Cook is so meh. It was like a huge dynasty fighting over the corpse of a king like vultures when he died.

Apple shops were a big success at first but I hate going into them now. The employees are so passive aggressive and achingly right on and their genius' do not live up to their namesake.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Apple su*** big time and their lousy practices are well known!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@xantufrog: I wish I could do that but still need to earn a living by making iOS apps.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@boycie said:

Similar to the Steam Link device for TVs, the free Steam Link app would allow users to play games from their Steam libraries on their devices if that device was connected to a host PC via a wired or wi-fi network. The app supports Steam controllers and several others. It released in beta on Android earlier this week, but the full version for iOS, planned for a May 21 launch, was nowhere to be found.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-24-steam-link-app-rejected-by-apple

Wonder Why...

I think that's why.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Gamerno6666: yeah it was a glib remark - especially since some people really like or even rely on some commercial apps you can't get for Linux.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990 said:
@davillain- said:

It's not even about them being anti-consumer, it's about them being grossly incompetent. Over the last few years, designers and engineers at Apple have been nothing short of terrible. They completely throw function in favor of form. They don't give a shit how well a device performs or how reliable it is. They just care that it looks good and is slim. It wasn't always like that. Prior to the iPhone 6, there was a solid balance of form and function.

Case and point; they made the iPhone 6 so slim there was the bending controversy. People have been complaining about the battery life of iPhones for years starting with the iPhone 6. Apple did intentionally make the battery life terrible, the battery is simply so slim it doesn't hold cells large enough for a prolonged battery life. Eventually it got so bad they had to release a software update that throttle down the performance during peak demands from the battery to stop the phones from unexpectedly shutting down. It wasn't done to make consumers buy phones, it was down to fix their own incompetence in regards to the design. The same flaw plagued to iPhone 6S. The iPhone 7 seems to be more or less OK for now, relatively speaking of course.

They also made major designs flaws on the 12" Macbook, the new Macbook Pros with Touch bar and the one without a Touch Bar. Apple products look nice but they have been absolutely terrible since 2013. The only good ones are the ones with tried and true designs like the MacBook Air, the 15" Macbook Pro with retina and the iPhone SE but that's mostly because they're old designs that were introduced or created during the Steve Jobs era. You may call Steve Jobs a lot of things but he cared about quality and if it were up to him, a lot of these products would have been scrapped and people would have lost their jobs for their sheer ineptitude at creating products that both look good and work properly.

It's not even planned, intentional anti-consumerism. They just suck at creating products now and refuse to own up to it and would rather the customer pay for their flaws instead of admitting they fucked up.

Interesting, I just think iPhones are overrated and such, I just don't like Apple like that anyways. Apple sure went downhill after Steve passed away.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Oh God, Apple are literally one of the worst companies out there. I remember they wanted over $300 to repair a faulty screen (you can literally buy the new screen packs for $50/$60) on my Iphone 5. I went and spent $200 and got a brand-new HTC One M8, which was a great phone at the time.

I wonder what possible reasoning they would have for this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Since when have mobile platform owners ever cared about games/gamers ?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

Since when have mobile platform owners ever cared about games/gamers ?

I do because it would be nice to play less demanding PC games while lying in bed or at a families house.

However, what I thought the app would do is play games from the cloud, streaming from my PC is something I can technically do now for reasons Apple actually made as a point

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

@lundy86_4 said:

Oh God, Apple are literally one of the worst companies out there. I remember they wanted over $300 to repair a faulty screen (you can literally buy the new screen packs for $50/$60) on my Iphone 5. I went and spent $200 and got a brand-new HTC One M8, which was a great phone at the time.

I wonder what possible reasoning they would have for this.

Over $300? That's ridiculous! This doesn't surprise me, Apple will increase on repair prices meaning forcing you to just buy there new iPhones so they can make profits of doing so.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Guess I'm the only one here that likes my iphone....*backs away slowly*

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

Apple makes Microsoft look like a charity organization.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@davillain- said:

Over $300? That's ridiculous! This doesn't surprise me, Apple will increase on repair prices meaning forcing you to just buy there new iPhones so they can make profits of doing so.

Yeah, it was through an Apple reseller called Jump Plus. They would have had to send the phone away (no loaner phone) and were gonna charge over $300. Just went and got a whole new phone.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Guess I'm the only one here that likes my iphone....*backs away slowly*

No need to back away. If you like the iPhone, that's totally fine. I just prefer Android myself :)

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Ah, the smell of potential litigation....

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Apple knows quality and they don't want the stink of DRM Steam.

Steams days are numbered, Apple knew Flash was dying, but everyone bashed them when they didn't support it. Apple was right about Flash and they will be right about Steam.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

As someone who has developed for iOS in the past and as someone who has gotten an app on Apple's App Store, I can affirmatively tell you: no, duh!

Seriously, Apple will reject your app all the time. I would be surprised if any app existed on the store that hadn't been rejected multiple times upon submission.

People are trying to invent a juicy story about how Apple hates Valve and Steam, but the reality is that getting your app rejected by Apple is par for the course. It happens to everyone, sometimes for the most arbitrary of reasons. Valve will have to keep trying and eventually they'll get it up.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts
@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

Steams days are numbered, Apple knew Flash was dying, but everyone bashed them when they didn't support it. Apple was right about Flash and they will be right about Steam.

3.5mm heaphone jacks are dying too, I presume ?

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

3.5mm heaphone jacks are dying too, I presume ?

Definitely, in phones they will, you can see other phones doing it HTC and the Pixel 2, Samsung will follow suit.