Anyone still prefer physical over digital?

• 111 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24163 posts) -

I like digital, but I can't imagine a world without physical. Having a physical form of something I enjoy. Also, the one benefit to physical is that you can sell or lend or borrow. It's a time honored tradition that must not be stopped!! Are you with me, SW?!!

#2 Posted by DaVillain- (36459 posts) -

Digital>Physical.

#3 Posted by Howmakewood (5861 posts) -

no need for physical clutter

#4 Posted by robert_sparkes (3013 posts) -

PS4 it's 50/50 just brought yazuka 0 for £8.99 from the ps store.

#5 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6339 posts) -

Digital on PC and on console what ever is cheaper version. My PC case doesn't even have a drive and I have a fast connection to download or if things go down the streaming path to stream my games... I have no issues with any of it as long as it doesn't downgrade my experience an digital doesn't do that so I have no issue with it, I am a minimalist so having hundreds of games in physical form doesn't sound fun to me one bit.

#6 Posted by ProtossRushX (5331 posts) -

I dunno if I wanna be more physical or digital on the switch physical to show them off digital for convience

#7 Posted by Ten_Pints (3788 posts) -

Physical is still preferred for single player.

#8 Posted by TheEroica (18411 posts) -

I just moved a crate of games into a closet in my basement... I always thought that saving my games would yield a benefit down the road but in truth it just takes up space...

The way I consume this hobby doesn't have room to save physical games... I don't need to keep legacy platforms around and digital distribution keeps things nice and easy. I play a game and move on as I have for almost 40 years.... Very infrequently a game comes out that I wish I could play years after the fact.

#9 Posted by Solaryellow (4834 posts) -

The only advantage I see with digital is the convenience factor and possibly sale prices more regularly than in a physical store.

#10 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1476 posts) -
@davillain- said:

Digital>Physical.

@howmakewood said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Digital on PC and on console what ever is cheaper version. My PC case doesn't even have a drive and I have a fast connection to download or if things go down the streaming path to stream my games... I have no issues with any of it as long as it doesn't downgrade my experience an digital doesn't do that so I have no issue with it, I am a minimalist so having hundreds of games in physical form doesn't sound fun to me one bit.

Let's not kid ourselves. You're PC gamers. None of you have a choice.

Anyway, I prefer physical, DRM free. I have more control over it and don't have to use some client. It has monetary value, doesn't use up nearly as much bandwidth (updates only) and can't be taken by the distributor. I had so many awful conversations when I serviced banned Xbox customers. Let's not pretend entire services don't discontinue either. Valve has no incentive to continue hosting those tens of thousands of games if something awful should happen to the company. Digital is fine for smaller, less expensive games. For big ones, I want a cartridge or a Blu-ray disc. Too bad PC gamers traded their rights with the rise of Steam.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#11 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (45151 posts) -

I haven't bought a physical game in a long time. I love the ease of use and convenience of digital. I think I bought 10-15 games on my Xbox One in the last year or so, all of which were digital. With the Xbox in the bedroom, don't want to store the games in here.

#12 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3396 posts) -

Physical all the way. The only bonus I read from people is that they don't have to get off their lazy asses and walk three whole feet to their console to put a game in.

The benefits of physical greatly outweigh all that if the prices are the same, namely in that you can recoup some value if you think a game is absolute trash, i.e: Kingdom Hearts III. I realized within three days I wasn't ever going to play it and immediately sold it on Ebay. Also, I can lend/borrow games to/from whoever.

Digital is usually full price and you're stuck with it forever. Also, there's no guarantee your purchases will transfer over when the new consoles come out. The value people have put on digital property, be it games, movies, in game currency, or cryptocurrency is concerning. All of the companies you purchase these entities from ultimately have the final say in whether or not you actually own what you paid for (hint: you don't).

#13 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1476 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Physical all the way. The only bonus I read from people is that they don't have to get off their lazy asses and walk three whole feet to their console to put a game in.

The benefits of physical greatly outweigh all that if the prices are the same, namely in that you can recoup some value if you think a game is absolute trash, i.e: Kingdom Hearts III. I realized within three days I wasn't ever going to play it and immediately sold it on Ebay. Also, I can lend/borrow games to/from whoever.

Digital is usually full price and you're stuck with it forever. Also, there's no guarantee your purchases will transfer over when the new consoles come out. The value people have put on digital property, be it games, movies, in game currency, or cryptocurrency is concerning. All of the companies you purchase these entities from ultimately have the final say in whether or not you actually own what you paid for (hint: you don't).

Yeah, getting stuck with something you dislike sucks. I rarely sell games, but I had enough of RDR2's poor controls after about four hours. Valve would not have let me refund it, since I was already well past two hours. Fortunately, I was able to sell it for 40-something dollars on Facebook. GOG doesn't even let you refund unless there is a technical issue that you can't fix.

#14 Posted by AJStyles (816 posts) -

Physical will always be the best. It is cheaper no matter what others claim. I resell my physical games after I am done. I get anywhere from 50-150% of what I originally paid for it. Yes, I sometimes profit lol.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
#16 Posted by YammiReckorrdSan (614 posts) -

*Raises hand- I buy my games only physical, and never bought even one digital game. I like my collection, it just makes my happy to wake up at the morning and see all my games on the shelfs.

#17 Posted by lundy86_4 (53123 posts) -

For consoles, definitely. PC is all digital.

#18 Posted by Howmakewood (5861 posts) -
@ezekiel43 said:
@davillain- said:

Digital>Physical.

@howmakewood said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Anyway, I prefer physical, DRM free. I have more control over it and don't have to use some client. It has monetary value, doesn't use up nearly as much bandwidth (updates only) and can't be taken by the distributor. I had so many awful conversations when I serviced banned Xbox customers. Let's not pretend entire services don't discontinue either. Valve has no incentive to continue hosting those tens of thousands of games if something awful should happen to the company. Digital is fine for smaller, less expensive games. For big ones, I want a cartridge or a Blu-ray disc. Too bad PC gamers traded their rights with the rise of Steam.

I rarely buy physical on consoles either unless there's a good enough sale

#19 Posted by Horgen (120387 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

I just moved a crate of games into a closet in my basement... I always thought that saving my games would yield a benefit down the road but in truth it just takes up space...

The way I consume this hobby doesn't have room to save physical games... I don't need to keep legacy platforms around and digital distribution keeps things nice and easy. I play a game and move on as I have for almost 40 years.... Very infrequently a game comes out that I wish I could play years after the fact.

If there was some more focus on retro gaming, I could throw away some of the older console and games I got. I got rid of X360, PS3 will go next time I go through and do some bigger cleaning. I wish it was easier to re-release older games. I keep N64 for GoldenEye and a few other games.

Generally on console I prefer physical games. Still on PS4 I have only bought 4 physical games, one is the Uncharted collection. So dunno if it counts as 4 or 6. 3-4 games as digital copies only on.

On PC I buy all my games as digital copies. Mostly through Steam, but got GOG, Origin and Uplay as well.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#20 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4571 posts) -
@SolidGame_basic said:

I like digital, but I can't imagine a world without physical. Having a physical form of something I enjoy. Also, the one benefit to physical is that you can sell or lend or borrow. It's a time honored tradition that must not be stopped!! Are you with me, SW?!!

I don't NEED physical. I just want a game I can download, and still be able to play it offline if it's a singleplayer affair after the fact.

#21 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1476 posts) -

@howmakewood said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@davillain- said:

Digital>Physical.

@howmakewood said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I rarely buy physical on consoles either unless there's a good enough sale

We'll never know if it would be the same for you had it not been normalized by gaming on a PC. Buying digital on a console is more concerning. Look at Nintendo's Virtual Console. Because the games weren't compatible with their new systems, they discontinued it. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did the same thing with PS3 games. There was also the theft of all those accounts several years ago. I actually lost an account that had three digital games on it. It was hacked while I was off PlayStation for a few years. Because I created the account when I lived in Germany and Sony doesn't bother to make their stores friendlier to migrants, I would have to make a long distance call to Germany to try and retrieve it, which is more trouble than it's worth now that I have a new account. It's also kind of disappointing that I lost all those trophies.

#22 Posted by DaVillain- (36459 posts) -

@ezekiel43: I hate to tell you this but I went total digital on PS4 at the start of this gen. It's why I have SSD 1TB store into it and the only physical games I still buy are on Nintendo Switch (any Nintendo consoles really) which is unfortunate due to low HD. My last physical PC purchase was Diablo 3. To be honest, I just went total digital except Nintendo.

#23 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1476 posts) -

@davillain- said:

@ezekiel43: I hate to tell you this but I went total digital on PS4 at the start of this gen. It's why I have SSD 1TB store into it and the only physical games I still buy are on Nintendo Switch (any Nintendo consoles really) which is unfortunate due to low HD. My last physical PC purchase was Diablo 3. To be honest, I just went total digital except Nintendo.

Did you go full digital on PS4 before or after PC gaming?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#24 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (10058 posts) -

I tend to buy MP only games digitally.

Ex. The Division 2

#25 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

Digital only. I am not concerned about a boogie man stealing my games. I also find it funny how abrasive the folks who prefer physical over digital to people who don't favor what they like. It's funny.

#26 Posted by foxhound_fox (97891 posts) -

I literally cannot fathom a gaming world with physical media. I don't see the appeal anymore. You aren't buying a "game", but a license to use the software given to you on the media. A physical game doesn't get updates until it's plugged in and you sit there waiting for it to update.

With a digital game, so long as your device is connected to the internet and you are logged in, the game is up to date.

I understand the existence of physical for people with shitty internet connections, but I doubt, if I buy a PS4 or XBO, I'll even bother with disc copies of games.

#27 Posted by Howmakewood (5861 posts) -

@ezekiel43: Ye digital obviously will have its downsides, for me the pros just outweight the cons. Nothing against people prefering physical and dont see why both couldnt co-exist

#28 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -

I prefer the cheaper version.

#29 Posted by UnrealGunner (1040 posts) -

There is still a large demand for physical games but that is definitely shrinking as time goes by

#30 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36206 posts) -

I still prefer physical myself.

#31 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43919 posts) -

With as many games as I buy each year and collectively own, it would be impossible to have them all on hand and ready to play if I wanted to. I have about 700 games on Steam, probably 30 on EA Origin, 40 on GoG, and a few more here and there. I have them all readily available, just need to download. That would be a lot of cardboard boxes if they were physical.

Digital not only makes that possible, but easy. I can quite literally play games going back 20+ years (for example, I replayed Half-Life 1 a couple months ago) provided I have my PC and an internet connection.

That's tough to do with physical because you generally need A.) an older generation machine; B.) a physical disc that might be degraded, lost, broken; and C.) sometimes some sort of adapter to get your old console to work on your new TV.

If you prefer physical, that's fine; I get it, it's nice to have something tangible, and on console you can trade your games back in. And as someone said, it's not like we have to choose, they can co-exist. But is it better, is physical better than digital from a technical/practical standpoint? Frack no.

#32 Posted by ipumpmygun (456 posts) -

Digital all the way because I don't have to deal with more clutter and I don't have waste time, money and gas to go buy a physical copy.

#33 Posted by jeezers (2821 posts) -

Physical will always be best because its the only way of actually owning the game.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
#34 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (4121 posts) -

At the start of the gen I thought physical all the way, but now digital is just more convenient and with PS+ I always have something waiting to be played, I think over the gen I have got like 200+ games from PS+ alone. While not all games are worth playing you still have a good 60-70 games that are decent.

Add the sales and you have more games than you could possibly want, no need for physical.

#35 Posted by jeezers (2821 posts) -

If you cant sell it you dont own it!! Its simple

#36 Posted by with_teeth26 (9514 posts) -

Physical media sales should be banned in most places IMO. just a bunch of needless garbage production at this point

#37 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6339 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@davillain- said:

Digital>Physical.

@howmakewood said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

While true NOW... But I have been growing my steam library for the past 10 years now. WE dictated this change not the companies we stopped buying physical copies on PC. and as I do the same for my Pro I have 1 game on physical media the other 11 are on my HDD. The only people kidding them selves are the ones that pretend that going into a store and hopefully having the game they want in stock and buying it rather than just waking up on launch day and downloading the game for the same price not to mention you don't have to keep swapping disks when you change want to play a different game.

Being a PC gamer has nothing to do with my choice. I don't want to have a book shelf of games in my house I would much rather have a HDD of 15-20 games that I play installed not to mention that my experience with all disks from CD's to DVD's to Blurays have been bad from them being sratched or lost/broken over the years.

#38 Posted by Khazrak134 (161 posts) -

I'll still go for physical. i have a few games on digital, but mostly i still go for a physical copy if possible

#39 Posted by Archangel3371 (27898 posts) -

Yep, I definitely still prefer physical myself. Not only do I like having a physical collection of games to display but it’s also the best form of control that consumers have with the product that they purchase. I still even buy my movies and music on physical formats.

#40 Edited by KungfuKitten (26541 posts) -

I don't have the shelf space for physical. But it has undeniable advantages, just like digital does. I'd prefer if it would remain a choice, especially if they keep price gouging the digital versions. Would the disappearance of physical versions mean that the standard digital pricepoint of a new AAA title will drop from $60 to $40?

#41 Edited by uninspiredcup (33281 posts) -

In the old days cover art was more important to sell a game,and thus, were awesome. Especially in Japan.

Unfortunately, covers are really really shit now, to the point DOOM had to print out a throw-back, because they somehow didn't realize how shit their cover was.

That's generally the only reason to bother, I find. That, or a good supplementary art book.

#42 Posted by cdragon_88 (1620 posts) -

Physical all the way. All of you guys advocating for "digital-only" truly concerns me. I believe digital is great only when it compliments the physical copies.

I still have to log into my stupid account online just to play my god damn single player games on consoles. Even for Steam, from my knowledge, forces you to phone home if you have been offline for a while. That's f'ing ridiculous. Oh did I mentioned that I couldn't refund a GOD DAMN PREORDER GAME on PSN? Yep, if you live in NA, I was told by the Sony Customer Representative, there are no refunds for Pre-Orders even if you haven't even downloaded the f'ing game and it is still 3 months from release!

If these "digital" games have more consumer friendly policies/practices, I would be all for it. As of now, NOPE.

Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
#43 Posted by Metroid_Other_M (438 posts) -

I don't mind digital at all, I just wish it was cheaper seeing that they save money on physical production.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
#44 Posted by deactivated-5cd08b1605da1 (9317 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Digital>Physical.

Physical>Digital

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#45 Posted by storm_of_swords (2797 posts) -

I definitely prefer physical. Having something that I can physically touch and look at on my shelf gives me more satisfaction than a digital purchase that just feels hollow and lifeless. And that satifaction increases as time goes by and those games on my shelf trigger feel-good nostalgic memories of the fun that I had with them whenever I look at them.

Plus, I think that it would be bad for the industry if physical media ever disappeared completely. I'm going to give a recent example from a different industry, but it's the same kind of thing that could happen to video games. A few weeks ago, The Simpsons producers announced that they were completely pulling the Michael Jackson episode from circulation with their BS excuse of "this is our book and we are allowed to take out a chapter". Thankfully, the episode had already been released on physical media because otherwise it would essential be lost to history. Imagine a world where video games are only available digitally and publishers can just remove or modify games at any time and we have no way of getting the original game back. That would suck and is the biggest reason why it's important to support physical media.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
#46 Posted by deactivated-5cd08b1605da1 (9317 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:

Physical media sales should be banned in most places IMO. just a bunch of needless garbage production at this point

You must be fun at parties

#47 Posted by xantufrog (11340 posts) -

Less and less. These days I mostly just want to turn on the machine and play something. I've been all-digital on PC for so long that it's feeling like a chore to deal with media on console.

The one exception is retro games. I like collecting the carts and discs and going through the process

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#48 Posted by storm_of_swords (2797 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Digital only. I am not concerned about a boogie man stealing my games. I also find it funny how abrasive the folks who prefer physical over digital to people who don't favor what they like. It's funny.

It is funny because I tend to notice the exact opposite. I tend to notice more people that prefer digital over physical being abbrasive and making fun of people that still like physical media.

It's funny how it seems to be human nature for people to tend to notice more bad from the opposite side than the side that they are on.

#49 Posted by Yams1980 (3467 posts) -

If its a good game I like physical copy to collect it. Also saves me time to install it usually cause I have slow internet.

If its a throw away - play once game, digital is fine cause i don't care about keeping anything after I'm done playing it.

There's really only a small handful of games I'd want in physical form, the rest are trash and I'll delete them and never think about them again.

#50 Posted by Pedro (34429 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:
@Pedro said:

It is funny because I tend to notice the exact opposite. I tend to notice more people that prefer digital over physical being abbrasive and making fun of people that still like physical media.

It's funny how it seems to be human nature for people to tend to notice more bad from the opposite side than the side that they are on.

I am basing it off this thread which is in favor of what I stated. You just aided in solidifying my observation. :)