xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 14470 Posts

I'll be honest - $60 seems steep for an "in dev" release. That being said, it looks very good - albeit perhaps not "BG" exactly.

If I wasn't saving my gaming bandwidth for CP2077 I'd be more tempted to jump in this Fall

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2014 Posts

I didn't even know this game was being made.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4200 Posts

I'm definitely interested. Larian seems like a great studio to bring back the series, but it will be years before I get around to playing it. Haven't even started Pillars of Eternity or DOS2, and I'd play those before this.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5262 Posts

I've had a look at a few video previews and beta reviews. It looks like DOS 2.2 to me.

I honestly can't believe they're charging people $60 to beta test the game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 5085 Posts

Too good of a game to ruin on an unfinished buggy mess. Waiting for the full release.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xantufrog  Moderator

@hardwenzen: right? WTF is up with that. Usually they at least shave 10+ off the price if you want to be a beta tester

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6403 Posts

I'll play at release

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44612 Posts

I already played Baldur's Gate 3, it's called Divinity: Original Sin 2 and that's more than enough for me.

Larian is being upfront with what you're getting, what to expect with Early Access, how it compares to the EA release of Divinity: Original Sin 2 etc. They're not encouraging or pressuring anyone to buy Early Access either, and that's probably why it's full price. They don't want people to feel like they need to buy Early Access to get a discount or something. They want you to play Early Access if you're actually gonna play the game which helps development even if you're not someone who's going to leave feedback on forums. Instead of looking at it like they're releasing an unfinished game for full-price and you're getting screwed somehow, why don't you look at it like you're pre-ordering a game with the bonus of Early Access or Alpha Access. Again, there's no hiding or withholding any information here about what people will be getting.

Here's the community update if you want to read more regarding Early Access on Steam page: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access update

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@davillain-: who said they were withholding info or being sketchy? I just don't want to pay full price for a game that's going to give me a worse experience than if I simply wait to play it when they are done. Can't get the first playthrough back

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44612 Posts

@xantufrog: I'm only saying this is how Early Access stuff works. I would've gotten Baldur's Gate 3 but I have too many games to play at this time lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xantufrog  Moderator

@davillain-: yeah I'm drowning!

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6403 Posts

@davillain- said:

I already played Baldur's Gate 3, it's called Divinity: Original Sin 2 and that's more than enough for me.

Larian is being upfront with what you're getting, what to expect with Early Access, how it compares to the EA release of Divinity: Original Sin 2 etc. They're not encouraging or pressuring anyone to buy Early Access either, and that's probably why it's full price. They don't want people to feel like they need to buy Early Access to get a discount or something. They want you to play Early Access if you're actually gonna play the game which helps development even if you're not someone who's going to leave feedback on forums. Instead of looking at it like they're releasing an unfinished game for full-price and you're getting screwed somehow, why don't you look at it like you're pre-ordering a game with the bonus of Early Access or Alpha Access. Again, there's no hiding or withholding any information here about what people will be getting.

Here's the community update if you want to read more regarding Early Access on Steam page: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access update

what

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 16517 Posts

Finished the beta. The game looks like an improvement on Original Sin in some ways but has some flaws, mostly because converting D:OS to D&D doesnt always lead to the smoothest transition.

It is a D&D game but some of the house rules dont work all too well.

• Surfaces at the moment are all too powerful. Leading to some wacky stuff.
    • Firebolts that miss still end up dealing a decent ammount of damage because they still apply a fire surface then set your opponent on fire. So even a missed firebolt somehow ends up doing more damage than some spells that HIT.
    • Far too many enemies have fire grenades leading to your party taking way, way too much unavoidable damage.
    • Far too many of the effects are currently D:OS imports. I want to see more from D&D. Make more use of Grease, Caltrops, ect. Make us feel like we are playing a D&D game.
  • Thieves are busted at the moment, because jump serves as a disengage, positioning is nearly useless, sneak attack also doesnt scale. Cunning Action Disengage is completely meaningless. Likewise, Expertise doesnt exist/work. So they cant even be the skill monkeys they are in the tabletop game.
  • Conversations are bad, just awful, unlike a tabletop game where you would have your party interject conversations and work together, using each character's strengths, such a thing is not possible in BG3. If your 8 Charisma fighter starts a conversation, and you get a Persuasion or Deception attempt, you cannot do anything. NWN2 solved this ages ago, why can't this game, that came out 12 years later solve it?

There are other big problems too

• Only half of the actual classes are there
    • And of these, many of the subclasses are missing.
  • Party member alignment seems a bit lacking, want to play a good guy? Well get used to practically everyone disapproving of everything you do. I actually had to put down one of my companions. Thankfully I use a fully custom party, so it didnt bother me too much.
  • The UI is a complete disaster, I have been on the steam forums answering a lot of simple questions the UI and HUD simply don't tell you. Proficiencies are needlessly difficult to track. Why is the Character Sheet a lot easier to read in the tabletop game than the character sheet in the computer game?

I still enjoyed my time. The itemization is a VAST improvement over the Original Sin games. With every item aside from armors having no impact on stats (thus far), instead giving unique effects such as applying debuffs when you hit a foe, standing in a surface allows you to deal extra damage of that surface's element, ect. Exploring Faerun was fun, and I enjoyed the permutations. Another really good thing is the shove action, you can quite frankly do this in quite a few encounters,

Loading Video...

I also liked how I didnt need to heal up after every encounter, I could usually go through about 4-6 battles before needing a long rest, sometimes more.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xantufrog  Moderator

@Maroxad: thanks for the deep thoughts! I don't know why it bothers me so much, but your comment about the conversations does more than a lot of the technical stuff you listed. I guess because it's an rpg, having the party interactions wacky rubs me the wrong way

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 45124 Posts

I shall wait for the full game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 48544 Posts

It's a lot of fun, and even in early access it is a good experience. With that said, there are some bugs.

It's also really hard, and in a cheap kind of way. The thing about playing D and D in person with actual people is you can finesse the rules a bit, your DM can be merciful, and there will be subtle hints indicating whether an area is too difficult.

With BG3, you get none of that. Oh a treasure chest? BOOM it was booby trapped and even though you're in a level 1 zone it was enough to kill your entire party five times over.

*shrug*

It's a lot of fun though. I'm enjoying the D and D rules mixed with the Larian styling, it's two things I am familiar with blended up together and it works well.

Looking forward to the final release.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrbojangles25

@Maroxad: I'm glad there is none of that magic/regular armor stat as found in Divinity OS. That made combat kind of tedious.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2086 Posts

Does this have an easy mode? I like the setting but dnd is too much for me as I assume dnd video games are harder than all the Dragon age at the highest difficulty even on normal.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 12741 Posts

From what I've been seeing I'm not expecting much. I hope it's an amazing game. I love the first 2 games (top 10 games ever for me) but I'm getting just another Divinity vibe from this and....

@davillain- said:

....what.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16028 Posts

i'm going to wait for the full release. looking forward to it though.

...i probably should replay the first 2 at some stage. i never finished them. i have them sitting there in my library too.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Maroxad

@xantufrog said:

@Maroxad: thanks for the deep thoughts! I don't know why it bothers me so much, but your comment about the conversations does more than a lot of the technical stuff you listed. I guess because it's an rpg, having the party interactions wacky rubs me the wrong way

I played a reload-less (unlike TPK) game. So it definately did bother me when my wrong character got into a dialogue. I don't blame you.

I mostly enjoyed the game. Only reason I left so many negatives in there is in the hope that Larian fixes them. I seriously doubt the Rogue will remain useless. The lack of expertise and sneak attack scaling HAS to be a EA issue. Seeing how many are complaining about Jump trivializing combat in your end, I wouldn't be surprised if a mod soon removed the disengage part of it.

@mrbojangles25 said:

@Maroxad: I'm glad there is none of that magic/regular armor stat as found in Divinity OS. That made combat kind of tedious.

Definately.

Also the attributes are a lot more fun. Kinda wish they would allow us to also use the roll for attributes (so I could have stats below 8), but the attributes too are a vast improvement from D:OS2 and most other RPGs where your offensive stat stacking is king.

The STR/DEX dilemma is always fun too.

STR has,

• STR has 1 more damage on average
  • Best Heavy Armor +1 AC over the best light armor.
  • Early access to high defense (you will probably get a full plate before you reach 20 dex)
  • Heavy Weapons
  • Grapples
  • Great Weapon Master

But DEX has its advantages too

• Light Armor is Cheaper and much more Common than Heavy Armor
  • Governs Better Skills
  • Initiative!!!
  • Much Better Saving Throw
  • Bows and Crossbows

That said, the utility of DEX, and initiative being incredibly important, makes Dex in general better, but I have had a lot of fun with strength too.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 483 Posts

Loving it to be honest! That being said, it’s still very rough around the edges with tons of stuff missing, like classes etc. so yeah if you are on the fence about it and want a flawless first play through etc definitely hold off buying! But there is definitely a gem in here and if you liked the DOS games you will definitely love this aswell! Imo they have fixed my biggest issue with the divinity series, which were that the lore and world building never clicked for me, now it’s forgotten realms and they can ( and do) draw from the already previously established lore!

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#23 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8528 Posts

I don't like playing early access out of principle. I would love to play the game, but I'll wait until Version 1.0 is finalized.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Maroxad: I'm curious how in-depth they're going to go with the rules. I want to try out a dexterity-focused barbarian (I know it's not the best build but it is one that sort of appeals to me) and I wonder if that would even be feasible.

And ya I love playing with stats. One of the neat things about The Outer Worlds was making a "big dumb idiot" build with like massive strength but no smarts or charisma, for example. It's just fun prototyping these characters and, somehow, actually g etting them to work.

That's not even mentioning all the fun there is to be had with the meta aspect and min/max'ing

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14044 Posts

Definitely waiting for the full release. I have plenty to play until then.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14044 Posts

Definitely waiting for the full release. I have plenty to play until then.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18482 Posts

I think the game is fantastic so far.

There's obviously stuff missing (half of the classes, most of the subclasses and feats, lots of spells, etc.), and some of the rules need tweaking (hide should be a full actionn, etc. - standard 5e rules).

Still, what we have is an excellent foundation. The combat system is very faithful to real D&D, the encounter design is really good (those phase spiders, constantly teleporting up to those enwebbed platforms!), the party members have a lot of depth, the moral choices are genuinely interesting, the exploration is great, and the game looks fantastic as well.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Planeforger

@mrbojangles25: A Dex-focused Barbarian could work, but they wouldn't gain any damage benefits from raging. Depending what subclasses they include in the full release, you could still have a lot of fun summoning totems, burning foes with divine fire, or harnessing the weather as a barbarian.

Alternatively, if you want an unarmoured Dex-based fighter, there's always the Monk.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25

@Planeforger said:

@mrbojangles25: A Dex-focused Barbarian could work, but they wouldn't gain any damage benefits from raging. Depending what subclasses they include in the full release, you could still have a lot of fun summoning totems, burning foes with divine fire, or harnessing the weather as a barbarian.

Alternatively, if you want an unarmoured Dex-based fighter, there's always the Monk.

Ahhh I forgot about Monk, that'd be my second choice. Actually now my first since I know absolutely nothing about the close outside of no armor and punch punch punch haha.

And I love roleplaying evil and I think there is that death-obsessed cult of monks.

I am actually sort of glad they didn't include all the classes with the early access, let's me try out some of the other classes I might not normally play as.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

Was reading this through... sounds frustrating from a role playing standpoint. Not liking that the dialogue and interactions are being brought up up by users and press alike. Hope they find ways to improve that

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-mediocre-rpg-amazing-rendering-engine/3/

Icarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Icarian
Member since 2004 • 1947 Posts

Biggest issue for the game is: D&D ruleset.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Planeforger

@xantufrog: I don't think there's anything really wrong with the dialogue system, other than that your party members should be able to jump in for checks (which Larian is going to add to a later build).

It's a roleplaying game involving dice rolls for social interactions. That's standard D&D stuff. People are just too used to being babied in RPGs and being perfectly successful at every single interaction, whereas this game is more designed around the D&D experience of failing an important persuasion roll and having to fight your way out.

As for the party members hating you...they really don't. They're standoffish at the start (for good reason), then they mellow out and grow to like you.

The combat also gets better with the higher level encounters later in the Early Access. Low-level D&D is always a bit of a slog, no matter the system used.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad

I have seen Planeforger on the Steam forums quite a bit for this game.

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Planeforger said:

Ahhh I forgot about Monk, that'd be my second choice. Actually now my first since I know absolutely nothing about the close outside of no armor and punch punch punch haha.

And I love roleplaying evil and I think there is that death-obsessed cult of monks.

I am actually sort of glad they didn't include all the classes with the early access, let's me try out some of the other classes I might not normally play as.

Way of the Long Death?

I am glad they didnt add all classes either for EA. I would rather have a smaller ammount than unfinished classes, than a large ammount of broken classes. That said, I actually expect the Druid to be playable quite soon, a lot of the work seems to be already done for it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrbojangles25

@Icarian said:

Biggest issue for the game is: D&D ruleset.

I think that is more your problem than the game's.

@xantufrog said:

Was reading this through... sounds frustrating from a role playing standpoint. Not liking that the dialogue and interactions are being brought up up by users and press alike. Hope they find ways to improve that

I think the dialogue is fine. I'm enjoying the dice rolls, both successes and failures.

As for the role-playing aspect, I was expecting more but then again without an actual human DM you can't really improvise and create. Games in general are really limited in that respect.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Maroxad

The dice rolls are fine. Adds a bit of risk vs reward and uncertainty from dialogue. So far, barring one exception, failure doesnt really doom you in any way, and there is usually an alternative solution to a quest. The dice roll outcomes are more short term, than long term. I do not reload when I don't get things my way.

But then again, I also do not reload when one of my party members in Fire Emblem dies.

Only issues I have with the dialogues at the moment is that

1. The time does not stop. Normally this is not an issue. But if you are forced into a dialogue while one of your party members is in a downed state... not ideal. Which can happen if the dialogue is triggered to happen right after combat.

2. No way for party members to interject in dialogue. From what I hear, this will change.

The dialogue is passable, they got rid of the awful past tense they used to have in dialogue, which is a massive relief.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 703 Posts

@Maroxad said:

I am glad they didnt add all classes either for EA. I would rather have a smaller ammount than unfinished classes, than a large ammount of broken classes. That said, I actually expect the Druid to be playable quite soon, a lot of the work seems to be already done for it.

As a druid fan, I'd been holding off on the EA till my favored class drops, but this is a surprise. I was sure the Wild Shape mechanics alone would relegate it to last on the list.

As someone familiar with 2E and 3.X CRPG's not with 5E, how well is the ruleset working in a video game? I'm currently obsessed with Pathfinder KM and the vast amount of customization and from comments on the steam forums it seems like there's far less to choose for your character?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Maroxad

@Postosuchus said:
@Maroxad said:

As a druid fan, I'd been holding off on the EA till my favored class drops, but this is a surprise. I was sure the Wild Shapemechanics alone would relegate it to last on the list.

As someone familiar with 2E and 3.X CRPG's not with 5E, how well is the ruleset working in a video game? I'm currently obsessed with Pathfinder KM and the vast amount of customization and from comments on the steam forums it seems like there's far less to choose for your character?

Already seen it in action ;) The first town in the game is basically a druidic circle. If you decide to try to assassinate Magda they may actually shapeshift in the middle of the battle, with the appropriate shapeshifting mechanics in place.

The ruleset is more customizeable than 2e, but not as customizeable as 3.0 or 3.5e. But definately more balanced. I like to see 5e as a reined in 3.5e. Nowhere near the build craziness, but also more balanced.

It definately has less customization than Pathfinder though.