Anyone else think the Advanced Wars 1&2 reboot looks really bad?

• 55 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 32509 Posts

I always wanted to try this series out, but this trailer just doesn't sell me on it at all. I think this franchise was better on the DS when this type of graphics was more acceptable lol. But this is the Switch we're talking about! I mean.. it can do better than this lol.

Am I rite, SW? Anyone else think the Advanced Wars 1&2 reboot looks really bad? Or are you still interested?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 52696 Posts

Looks fine to me. I just don't have an attachment to the series like others. It reminds of a mobile game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 46343 Posts

Looks like a soulless mobile game.

With a Nintendo price tag.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 16566 Posts

Fun games are fun? Not everything has to have a serious asthetic

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 35564 Posts

While it didn’t blow me away necessarily, I thought it looked ok and I’m interested in giving it a try at least.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 13917 Posts

I wish it looked better but I'm interested in the gameplay. I will probably just stick to the GBA versions, but hopefully it means there is a new game in the works.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 3366 Posts

Woot in love me so some advance wars. Regardless of the graphics are okay, it’s all about having fun

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 47395 Posts

Honestly, anyone who played the series back in the days like me won't complain how it looks now and most will buy it out of nostalgic as long as the gameplay is legit, we're in business. One could say it looks like a PSP game and hey, that too is okay😉

Day one purchase out of nostalgic.

@xantufrog said:

Fun games are fun? Not everything has to have a serious asthetic

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gym_Lion  Online
Member since 2020 • 1644 Posts

I LOVED Advance War on DS.

These remakes however look like a cheap mobile version and they want £50... £50!!

Just play Wargroove.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 2987 Posts

Just try the damn game so you can understand why people have been demanding a return of the series.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 1360 Posts

Game is a masterpiece. Day 1 for me. Toilet gaming supreme.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 28456 Posts

Yeah. I prefer the look of the originals. And selling this for 60 bucks is a cruel joke. Might've accepted 25 bucks, just to relive the games.

AW is an awesome series. Why Nintendo abandoned it like so many of their other awesome franchises, I have no fucking idea, but hopefully this release means they're thinking about using the IP again for something good.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 460 Posts

They were the funnest games shown at e3 IMO who cares how they look bro you probably date super models only.

I will say they didn't do much to them so I dunno why 2 GBA games cost 60 dollars.

Mario 3D all stars was 3 3d mario games for 60 this isn't a 60 dollar game imo for 2 GBA ones.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 37827 Posts

Wayforward can make really good graphics too, so I'm not sure what is going on. Not really feeling the 'plastic' look.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

It should be no surprise that Nintendo sells mobile looking game and games that look low budget at the same price as high budget games. This is not new. They have been doing it forever.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 9068 Posts

@xantufrog: You're right not everything does need a serious asthetic, but those graphics are what I'd expect from a budget bin title on the PS2, everything's so bland and generic looking. This looks like a quick cash grab at best.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 1132 Posts

Never played the series, but with that pricetag i can guarantee you that, that won’t change anytime soon… even for Nintendo standard demanding 60$ for a bad looking indie game is ridiculous

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 16566 Posts

@vfighter: it looks exactly like it should with modernized graphics

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5046 Posts

Looks fine. They could have just left the GBA graphics and it would still be a day1 buy. The Switch was built to play tactical RPGs.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 9068 Posts

@xantufrog: I'd rather those OG graphics, they had some personality, again the remake looks generic as hell, there's so many directions and little things they could have done to make it look interesting but they did the BARE minimum and are seeking a $10 budget looking game (not talking about gameplay mind you) for $60! Sorry but that's complete BS on Nintendo part but also sadly the norm for them.

tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tribesjah
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts

The remake's graphics/art style looks awful/generic as hell. Not a fan of the direction they took. That being said, certainly a game I will pick up for the nostalgia, the AW games were excellent back in the day. Just not at full price, sorry but for something with those low production values, $60 is just too much of an ask (more of a principle thing).

rmiller365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rmiller365
Member since 2010 • 1174 Posts

I love the series, and still play them sometimes, and im glad the series is getting revived for new gamers. That being said, I'm not a fan of the updated, low budget look (it looks like those flash games from the 2000's) and I would much rather Nintendo made an all new entry in the franchise rather than pump out another remake from an old game and charge full price for it.

I get it, Nintendo's a Mastercraft Milker, they make money rehashing decades old games and people eat it up. I'm sure the next two DS entries (dual strike and days of ruin) will be next on the remake docket, but I would just really rather see a new entry with new ideas in the series than a full priced rehash of what I've already owned and played.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 38508 Posts

Looks as you'd expect from a Wayforward game (yes, they are developing this).

Though I wouldn't mind options of the old graphics, like what Halo: MCC and Duke Nukem 3D (Gearbox version) does.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16376 Posts

I like the graphics for the actual units and map. they look like little plastic pieces running around a board which is neat. on the switches screen itself it should be very clear whats what also.

The portrait models for the main characters are off somehow though. they probably should have used hand drawn 2D art for those.

I never played advance wars 1 and 2. i only dipped my toe in with Dual strike on the DS.

the price tag is not ideal but it is 2 games so its probably going to be a lot of game for your money.

at the moment its a maybe for me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@xantufrog said:

@vfighter: it looks exactly like it should with modernized graphics

Rubbish. The game is supposed to look like Last of Us 2. 😎

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#26  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

I don't like how the soldiers look, I prefer how they looked back in the day, like Peanuts characters, also I think $60 is a little steep but probably will get it anyways.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2017 Posts

It looks fine to me. Will probably be overpriced though. I have my methods to get it free or cheap anyways. Advance wars is amazing though in the gameplay department

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22708 Posts

always heard the hype with this game. idk rpgs is a good genre but not among my favourites.

im also on the maybe side.

as for the artstyle... theres not much more you could do with this. aside from making it photo realistic.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 10907 Posts
How is this even possible? Are they high or know how easy it is to milk their fanbase?
How is this even possible? Are they high or know how easy it is to milk their fanbase?

The new visuals might be the ugliest i've seen in a while. Not just technically, but the art direction they're going for.

People were trolling sony for selling Demon's Remake for $70 because its an old game. While i don't agree with its ridiculous price tag, the remake itself is as good as it gets. I don't think there's a single other remake that is as well done. Still, it should've been $50USD. Inferior remakes should never be more than $40. Lazy shit remasters should be $30. This Advance Wars laughable remake should be $20, and not a single dollar more. It looks so damn bad. A single indie dev would've done a better job and sell the game for $9.99 on steam...

I am ashamed for Nintendo. Them selling this thing for $60 is being as greedy as EA/Activison/2K/Ubi.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

Yeah, I don't care for the art direction, and definitely not a $60 game production. Will just pull out my GBA if I want to play these again.

Still, it's good to see them do anything with the series. Hopefully leads to a new entry.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 palasta
Member since 2017 • 415 Posts

Outdated applies to 90% of (indie) games today. Why complain about a NS game of all things?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 39695 Posts

The 3D is a bit off-putting, they should have stuck with the pixel art style of older titles. But, like indie titles do where they use a 16-bit era graphics turbo charged on modern machines. Definitely don't do the 8-bit thing though I never ever found that appealing.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 20781 Posts

It looks like a $2.99 game you would get on the iPhone 3.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 4083 Posts

Is the plastic look of the vehicles and the soldiers that users on this forum take issue with? If so, they should not buy the game and play instead the GBA originals. Do they really need to buy this game?

If gamers take issue with the game's price, then they should not not buy it at that price; buy it when it is discounted or buy it used. Does anyone REALLY need to buy the game at $60, just like the need to buy the latest Apple iPhone model for $829? Just wait for the price to go down.

If Nintendo's greed distrubs gamers, then they should not buy, rent, sell, use, or promote its products. They should also do the same for any publisher they think is greedy.

shadyacshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shadyacshuns
Member since 2007 • 6670 Posts

It looks great. Hopefully this remake collection renews interest in the series and IS will make some new games in the series.

shadyacshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shadyacshuns
Member since 2007 • 6670 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

Wayforward can make really good graphics too, so I'm not sure what is going on. Not really feeling the 'plastic' look.

Then I guess the intended style went right over your head. The game maps have game board edges on them. Remember those?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1993 Posts

Yeah, I don't like the 3D graphics. They should have stuck with 2D.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2297 Posts

Looks like a mobile game

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#40  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 699 Posts

I don’t buy a lot of new games, so I can splurge on this. Wish it would come out this summer. It seems like an easy to make game so I wish it were here already. Unless there are a 100 maps or something, I wouldn’t know.

I played something similar on the NES or SNES, but I forget the name of the game and youtube and google have been no help. The units and the combat were the same except I think you fought in the desert.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 37827 Posts

@shadyacshuns said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Then I guess the intended style went right over your head.

yeah must be me

*looks at thread

Oh wait...

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 1132 Posts

@palasta: it isn’t a indie, it’s a Nintendo game and its 60$, hence why people complain!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen  Online

Wow! i actually just noticed that tc is being negative about a Nintendo game. First time i see this happening.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gym_Lion  Online
Member since 2020 • 1644 Posts

They should have just added the originals to Nintendo's Online service instead of filling it with 30 year old NES games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 28456 Posts

@gym_lion said:

They should have just added the originals to Nintendo's Online service instead of filling it with 30 year old NES games.

And miss out on selling them for 60 bucks? That would've been an epicly dumb decision for a company to do.

Would it have been 1000x better for all Switch owners though? Yes.

I haven't opened the NES or SNES crap on Switch for about a year now. Last time I did, there was like 5 added games that were really lame looking and/or I had never heard of them before. I'm just not going to play a NES game I've never heard about and looks lame. And sadly, that's 95% of the selection.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18677 Posts

@gym_lion: Wargroove was heavily disappointing. It was pitched as a modern Advance Wars but it wasn't anywhere near as compelling.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 17059 Posts

Not even a fan of the series and I think it looks alright.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17006 Posts

Looks like a flash game.

Also lol at sheep crying about Sony charging $70 for AAAE bangers when they are paying $60 for this.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 17272 Posts

I think they look pretty good for this type of games. Price is indeed high though. $30-40 bucks and it would have been an insta buy.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen  Online

At first, Nintendo began selling very lazy ports for $60. It was bad, real bad. Then, then they've discovered emulators. Why bother remastering anything when you can sell an emulated version for $60, and call it a day? But now, in 2021, Nintendo is completely unchained. The final form has been achieved. We, at Nintendo, we offer you an opportunity of buying a flash game for $60! I hope you're as excited as we are.