Anyone else find Metal Gear's story to be vastly overrated(Spoilers)?

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts

I played MGS 1+2 and read up on MGS 3 before starting MGS4.

I find that the story is vastly overrated and needlessly convoluted. It seems to me like Kojima just layered on so many plot twists that the story ended up being ridiculous in MGS4. Another thing I couldn't stand is those 15 minute long segments explaining technologies like nanomachines. Seriously that was painful as hell to watch WTF do I need to sit through that for? Kojima desperately needs an editor, it felt like useless rambling.

And the plot twists are just atrocious. While watching cutscenes I would just stop and just laugh at how ridiculous the twists kept getting. It seems like every character you think died is actually alive or is being deceived into working for someone else or is actually someone else or is actually knowingly working for someone else.

The ending was a huge letdown. I can see why they kept Snake from killing himself to try and humanize him but it just felt wrong. It felt like Kojima just couldn't handle killing off his favorite character and that seemed weak. And WTF at Big Boss being alive. I seriously LOL'd when he appeared. The little homo love session between Snake and Otacon and the wedding at the end made me cringe.

Having said that I think that the reason MGS is so loved is because of the really unique and cool characters. Especially the bosses. There's no many games where I remember the bosses I beat years later but MGS2 is one of them.

In before fanboys

In before MGS4 10 /thread

badbaackwards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 badbaackwards
Member since 2004 • 157 Posts
no
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Yup, it's got some touching moments, especially in MGS4, but overall, it's a tad too silly for my tastes.
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

"Anyone else find Metal Gear's story to be vastly overrated?"

If you have played them all, no.

shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
yeah, the story was ridiculous.
Mastergamer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Mastergamer27
Member since 2007 • 582 Posts
I would say the story is well done, but thats just me:P
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts
MGS4 story is kinda silly, but the rest of the games were very well written, especially MGS3.
Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lab392
Member since 2006 • 6217 Posts
Nope, I like the story. The best in any game series, imo.
azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts
These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.
Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts
Best story, plot twists, and 4th wall-breaking written game ever.
CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
I think it's obvious a lot of the stuff we saw wasn't planned in advance, but that Kojima did the best he could. Zero founding the Patriots was.... odd. But it's better than the patriots being ghosts who died one hundred years ago, like MGS2 had us thinking. On the whole, I liked it. But yeah. Big Boss being patched back together yet again, just to die a very short while later, seemed rather silly. But they couldn't end it without the guy who started it all.
Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bazooka_4ME

These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.azad_champ

Didn't you know? All top-ranking games are overrated... :(

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mephisto_11

These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.azad_champ

threads that have opinions you dont agree with shouldnt be banned. posts like yours that offer no rebuttal or discussion should be banned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5add084b23cf4
deactivated-5add084b23cf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 deactivated-5add084b23cf4
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts
Well, there's some silly things like the arm, but they unsillied that thing, and also the psychic dudes, like psycho mantis, screaming mantis and the sorrow, but I love how it ties in with real history PERFECTLY, and making some things look like: ohnoes, they are true!
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
Easily the best story line in gaming. I had no problem understanding the story, it was weaved perfectly throughout the series, I understood exactly what Kojima wanted to share. It was beuatifull imo. =)
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mephisto_11

I think it's obvious a lot of the stuff we saw wasn't planned in advance, but that Kojima did the best he could. Zero founding the Patriots was.... odd. But it's better than the patriots being ghosts who died one hundred years ago, like MGS2 had us thinking. On the whole, I liked it. But yeah. Big Boss being patched back together yet again, just to die a very short while later, seemed rather silly. But they couldn't end it without the guy who started it all.CronoSquall

Yeah the patriot founders in mgs 4 and 2 had me thinking "did kojima really plan for that plot twist or did he just change his mind". big boss was just silly

azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts

[QUOTE="azad_champ"]These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.mephisto_11

threads that have opinions you dont agree with shouldnt be banned. posts like yours that offer no rebuttal or discussion should be banned.

So he thinks that MGS story is overrated. This thread gets flooded with hundreds of MGS fans claiming the opposite. What a discussion!

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Yup, it's got some touching moments, especially in MGS4, but overall, it's a tad too silly for my tastes.BioShockOwnz

I'm glad you stayed away from using the term "overrated". I can see why many people like it. But, like you, I found it a bit too anime for me. It lacked a level of subtlety suspension of disbelief that I associate with great stories.

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mephisto_11
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

[QUOTE="azad_champ"]These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.azad_champ

So he thinks that MGS story is overrated. This thread gets flooded with hundreds of MGS fans claiming the opposite. What a discussion!

and the point of message boards and system wars is what?

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Yup, it's got some touching moments, especially in MGS4, but overall, it's a tad too silly for my tastes.VoodooHak

I'm glad you stayed away from using the term "overrated". I can see why many people like it. But, like you, I found it a bit too wacky for me.

Voodoo Vince was an awesome game.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

[QUOTE="azad_champ"]These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.azad_champ

MGS is not for me but I agree with azad, these threads are not condusive to discussion, only flaming.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

the story blew my mind ,literally, and that's why I'm writing in system wars now with all you other morons.

I kid!

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mephisto_11
[QUOTE="azad_champ"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

[QUOTE="azad_champ"]These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.blue_hazy_basic

MGS is not for me but I agree with azad, these threads are not condusive to discussion, only flaming.

we should close 90% of the threads in system wars then

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

MGS's story is like listening to some crazy cold war veterans conspiracy theories about the "military industrial complex"

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bazooka_4ME
[QUOTE="azad_champ"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

[QUOTE="azad_champ"]These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.mephisto_11

:lol:

The point of this message boards IS System Wars.

So what does MGS4 being overrated have to do with System Wars? I think you're in the wrong forum section TC; try posting this in the Playstation 3 forum instead.

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bazooka_4ME
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="azad_champ"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

we should close 90% of the threads in system wars then

Do yourself a favor and go to the very last page of System Wars forum...

There you will find your answer.

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mephisto_11
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"][QUOTE="azad_champ"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

[QUOTE="azad_champ"]These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.Bazooka_4ME

:lol:

The point of this message boards IS System Wars.

So what does MGS4 being overrated have to do with System Wars? I think you're in the wrong forum section TC; try posting this in the Playstation 3 forum instead.

I think its fine when ppl say gears and halo is overrated as long as they post a thought out opinion. And yes MGS4 is relevant in system wars we talk about exclusives here dont we? or are we not allowed to talk about any games? lol wut

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts
The metal gear solid games have increasingly became a huge pile of self-interesting convoluted pretentious dribble. The people who claim it is great need to stop watching Narunto/DragonBallZ on cartoon network and pick up a dam book. If reading is too difficult, play Planescape Torment and see how a proper story is done in video-game.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
The metal gear solid games have increasingly became a huge pile of self-interesting convoluted pretentious dribble. The people who claim it is great need to stop watching Narunto/DragonBallZ on cartoon network and pick up a dam book. If reading it too difficult, play Planescape Torment and see how a proper story is done in video-game.Kez1984
This much is true of any game people say has a great story
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

[QUOTE="azad_champ"]These "Insert game here is overrated" threads should get banned. MGS story is a masterpiece.Bazooka_4ME

Didn't you know? All top-ranking games are overrated... :(

I hear that!
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mephisto_11

The metal gear solid games have increasingly became a huge pile of self-interesting convoluted pretentious dribble. The people who claim it is great need to stop watching Narunto/DragonBallZ on cartoon network and pick up a dam book. If reading is too difficult, play Planescape Torment and see how a proper story is done in video-game.Kez1984

this

scottie300z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 scottie300z
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts
I thought the writing was pretty bad but mainly b/c it was overly ambitious. It seems to overlook the whole point of written work. I felt the ending of mgs4 kept slapping me in the face w/ repeated concepts.
Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bazooka_4ME

I think its fine when ppl say gears and halo is overrated as long as they post a thought out opinion. And yes MGS4 is relevant in system wars we talk about exclusives here dont we? or are we not allowed to talk about any games? lol wutmephisto_11

lol wut?... Why did you post this here then? Scared of posting it in the PS3 forum?

MGS4 has a great story. Any negatives about it deserves to be flamed especially disagreeing with GameSpot's 10/10.

Suit yourself TC, it's your thread. :|

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

MGS4 has a great story. Any negatives about it deserves to be flamed especially disagreeing with GameSpot's 10/10.

Bazooka_4ME

What a pathetic argument.

I'm off to play Kane and Lynch.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
no way in hell
Benjamin19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Benjamin19
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts
It's a matter of opinion. But honestly, I think the ones who dislike the story are people who look at it from a literature-worth point of view instead of involving themselves into what's going on. If you involve yourself then it's story is both epic and awe-inspiring.
dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so. It starts out as a solid tale of Military oppression, and diverts to a cookie cutter -esqe sci-fi story about AI , that was trying it's hardest to be convoluted for no real reason. By the time the post credit "chapter" rolled around I could honestly care less. Snakes suicide was a great finisher, ruined by Kojima's need to drag out more nonsense.
Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bazooka_4ME
[QUOTE="Bazooka_4ME"]

[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

I think its fine when ppl say gears and halo is overrated as long as they post a thought out opinion. And yes MGS4 is relevant in system wars we talk about exclusives here dont we? or are we not allowed to talk about any games? lol wutmephisto_11

lol wut?... Why did you post this here then? Scared of posting it in the PS3 forum?

Suit yourself TC, it's your thread. :|

Lol scared of posting it in the ps3 forum? system wars is practically the ps3 forum. I dont want to get just ps3 owners opinions on the game which is why i posted this here, ps3 owners can still reply so wtf are you saying?

Any negatives deserve to be flamed? are you scared of your game being criticized? sorry buddy but in the real world people have opinions and it seems like the majority of people posting in this thread agree with me.

All i hear from you is whining and you offered no arguments. unless you're willing to put forth a good argument and post without flaming then kindly GTFO of this thread

calm down dude sheeesh...; aiight, aiight, MGS4's story is overrrated, you win...

:roll: :arrow: :lol:

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts

system wars is practically the ps3 forum. I dont want to get just ps3 owners opinions on the game which is why i posted this here,

mephisto_11

what.

Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts
Yea it's overrated. I only have him in my avatar because I think it looks cool.
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mephisto_11
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

system wars is practically the ps3 forum. I dont want to get just ps3 owners opinions on the game which is why i posted this here,

VanHelsingBoA64

what.

i joined recently but in the past 5 months or so ps3 owners have taken over system wars, just look at polls, ps3 wins almost every poll

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

"Anyone else find Metal Gear's story to be vastly overrated?"

If you have played them all, no.

FragTycoon

I was always a special case... *hugs self* . Yes. Quite in fact I find the series to have the most overrated storyline in the games industry. But I'm also a fan of the series... (wait, what?)

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts
[QUOTE="VanHelsingBoA64"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

mephisto_11

what.

i joined recently but in the past 5 months or so ps3 owners have taken over system wars, just look at polls, ps3 wins almost every poll

it actually evened out after the massive exodus after MGS4-10. funny how this topic is about MGS4 also :P

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

no, however there were some stupid parts, i do agree. for instance, the part where meryll and johnny are fighting together and then she proposes or whatever. that was so cliche and stupid. but the rest of the story was great.

+

MGS4=10

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts
Of course it's silly, but I love it anyways....I still have a pretty good imagination and can easily block out reality. That's what you have to do with all fictional media.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#48 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
MGS's storyline isn't bad by any means but seems to be full of itself. Not to mention the endless repetition (characters talking themselves in circles) and the incessant need to explain every little thing to death Kojima's writing staff seems to have.
goku234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 goku234
Member since 2005 • 567 Posts

the explaining kinda makes me sleepy

but then again the games are fantastic

but sometimes is just dumb in my opinion

crunchUK