Anyone Else Concerned with Having a VR LED 1 inch from your Eyeballs ?`

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

I can't believe this hasn't come up yet, People are preparing to put a VR headset on their heads and have an LED screen a mere one inch from their eyeballs for hours on end.

No one has bothered to ask what long term effects this could have on their vision, or possible migraine headaches, seizures and so on.

The original 3DS was causing headaches by the millions in it's early release, and that was a 3 inch screen being held two or more feet from your eyes, now we have these much larger and wider HD screens strapped on our heads right in front of our eyes and no one has bothered to ask if there are any health risks affiliated with short to long term use ?

I would like to know what, if any precautionary measures HTC, Sony and Oculus have taken to ensure gamers of safety measures upon using their product.

As it is we all know cell phones, tablets and computers today emit an low level radiation that needs to be used in moderation, some have even attached those special magnetic rad absorbers to their devices to help with the emissions, so again i ask what have these companies done to ensure or forewarn their customers of such health risks and the measures that can be taken to prevent any such problems.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Doesn't seem like a good idea to separate each eye for extended periods of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Preparing? You know some folks have had these things for months already, right? I've never had a headache, dizziness or eye strain from VR. I never had any of those things from the 3DS either though.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I predict a first wave of problems include jerking your head which yanks on the cords, causing PS4s to go flying off the shelves and being utterly annihilated upon impact, or at very least cords contacts get ripped and require repair.

I'm surprised that hasn't been brought up.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@Slimmin360 said:

I can't believe this hasn't come up yet

Yep, you're the first one to think of this. These companies didn't spend years investing millions into R&D to sort out these potential issues, they just strapped a screen into a box and let it ride.

You should call them right now and share your thoughts.

You're the chosen one.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

The gimmick will be gone fast enough that we won't have o worry about any bad side effects

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

Nope, because I am not buying in! LOL But please, buy PSVR and Oculus folks, you'll Love it!!!

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Considering. The brightness of the screens are at an acceptable leve of tolerence and your focus point is at a natural distance thanks to the lenses,its almost as if they thought of this when they spent money on research and development....crazy I know.

Like the person above said....You are the chosen one.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

Sure, I've wondered that as well.

But looking at your monitor/Tv/smartphone/tablet screen for hours on end doesn't sound very healthy either. Especially for kids who are still growing up.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Slimmin360 said:

Yep, you're the first one to think of this. These companies didn't spend years investing millions into R&D to sort out these potential issues, they just strapped a screen into a box and let it ride.

You're the chosen one.

well they did call it morpheus, he's taking this way to personal

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Slimmin360 said:

You're the chosen one.

Didn't that stuff inside toothpaste turn out to be unhealthy ? Fluorescent or something

Didn't asbestos turn out to be unhealthy ?

Didn't smoking turn out to be unhealthy ? Mr. The Stoner :p

Sometimes health risks only become noticable years, decades or even way longer down the line.

Scientists have warned about the effects of letting people of young age look at screens too much. And the light in LEDs is affecting people's sleep as well.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

This is what R&D is for... Something tells me that these companies conferred with professionals on the matter.

Tons of things can cause long-term issues, that there haven't been studies on, due to often how fucking long we can go before issues arrise.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@R4gn4r0k:

Yeah definitely man. Lots of long term side effects will take time to rear their ugly heads. Like with E-Cigs now, everyone seems to think they're safe (and I absolutely believe they're a better alternative), but only time will tell us how safe they really are.

My only point was that these concerns aren't new. This topic has been there alongside VR development all along, from consumers and engineers alike. Of course people are concerned for their own health and safety and of course these companies want to provide an enjoyable experience while avoiding lawsuits like the plague.

I'm not saying that these products are perfectly safe in the long run, just saying that these companies have taken all the precautions they can to avoid such issues.

OP is framing it as if nobody has really questioned the risks lol.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ni6htmare01  Online
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Never thought about it.. Now that you mention, it kind of worry me!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I heard BluRay causes cancer.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@ConanTheStoner said:

@R4gn4r0k:

Yeah definitely man. Lots of long term side effects will take time to rear their ugly heads. Like with E-Cigs now, everyone seems to think they're safe (and I absolutely believe they're a better alternative), but only time will tell us how safe they really are.

My only point was that these concerns aren't new. This topic has been there alongside VR development all along, from consumers and engineers alike. Of course people are concerned for their own health and safety and of course these companies want to provide an enjoyable experience while avoiding lawsuits like the plague.

I'm not saying that these products are perfectly safe in the long run, just saying that these companies have taken all the precautions they can to avoid such issues.

OP is framing it as if nobody has really questioned the risks lol.

TC has a certain way of writing things, I guess :P

Yeah, but I think people have a lot of responsibility for themselves as well. If you really think smoking 20 cigarettes a day is healthy, sure go ahead and do it.

You really think eating french fries and hamburgers every day is healthy ?
You really think sitting in front of a tablet/pc/tv/smartphone for 8 hours on end is healthy ?

We ourselves need to evaluate our behaviour. Check if we are causing harm to our own health. Check if there is unhealthy stuff we love too much, that has become an addiction. With whatever we do. Don't always let others dictate what is healthy or not. Wut ? Bashing my head against a wall for a couple of hours isn't healthy ? Why didn't anyone ever tell me :'(

Jokes aside, it's your health. You need to take care of it. Don't expect other people to. Don't ******* sue McDonalds because you got morbidly obese.

So yeah in a way TC posed an interesting question. At least we are discussing it :)

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

As it is we all know cell phones, tablets and computers today emit an low level radiation that needs to be used in moderation, some have even attached those special magnetic rad absorbers to their devices to help with the emissions, so again i ask what have these companies done to ensure or forewarn their customers of such health risks and the measures that can be taken to prevent any such problems.

Actual Electrical Engineer here, you are diving into speculation if you think that the levels of radiation emitted from a tablets and computers is harmful in any significant way. You are bathed in radiation 24 -7 on earth, an electric and magnetic field would have to be absurdly strong to impact you in a harmful fashion. What you want to be concerned about is ionizing radiation, which is something the industry has very strict guidelines about.

I'm guessing the causes of so many of those 3DS headaches where eyestrain or some other typical reaction to long periods of focus on a screen.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ConanTheStoner said:
@Slimmin360 said:

You're the chosen one.

Didn't that stuff inside toothpaste turn out to be unhealthy ? Fluorescent or something

Didn't asbestos turn out to be unhealthy ?

Didn't smoking turn out to be unhealthy ? Mr. The Stoner :p

Sometimes health risks only become noticable years, decades or even way longer down the line.

Scientists have warned about the effects of letting people of young age look at screens too much. And the light in LEDs is affecting people's sleep as well.

It's flouride and you were never meant to eat your toothpaste. Flouride has always been known to be toxic in high doses. Don't people read the MSDS's of materials anymore??

Anyway, you raise an interesting set of examples but they are all of items you ingest. Considering the only thing you are doing this time is looking at something, closely, I don't think there will be an issue unless you are straining your eyes in an unnatural fashion or have it to bright.

There is absolutely no difference between the light in LED's and other light sources. LED's can emit a broad spectrum light (see white LED's) or a focused spectrum light (see RED LED's). What you are referring to with LED's and sleep is the "Blue" spectrum. It has been shown to keep people awake / alert. They think it's something to do with being wakeful during the daylight hours where the blue spectrum is plentiful. Don't know why that spectrum in particular, ask a biologist.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

Like everything in life; use in moderation.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Preparing? You know some folks have had these things for months already, right? I've never had a headache, dizziness or eye strain from VR. I never had any of those things from the 3DS either though.

It could still be doing long term damage and degrade your vision but looking at any screen for extended period of time does it's more about time than how close you are to the screen.

Also though, Watching a screen in the dark can damage your vision because The levels of light are changing rapidly so your eyes have to work hard to process the changes, which can lead to eyestrain, pain, headaches, dry eye, and redness. not sure if VR equates to watching a screen in the dark.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Nintendo's virtual boy came out like 20 years ago. Nobody was blind from it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

I've let wh*res make contact with my genitals, so no.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It likely has been thought of... tested rigorously, and written off as a non-issue.