Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I know a lot of you on here like to drone on about Star Citizen, but the PC is getting another great space sim today, maybe not with planetary landings, but a good economic/strategy/combat simulation at least that consoles will not be getting.

Anyone hyped or am I alone?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@ten_pints said:

I know a lot of you on here like to drone on about Star Citizen, but the PC is getting another great space sim today, maybe not with planetary landings, but a good economic/strategy/combat simulation at least that consoles will not be getting.

Anyone hyped or am I alone?

I played X3 sometime ago. Atm, Star Trek Online is my Sci-Fi fix. X4 Foundations is an interesting alternative to Star Citizen.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

Video? Picture? Anything? Uhh..

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

Knowing Egosoft's track record, it will probably be full of bugs and missing features, before becoming at least decent after about two years worth of patches. Wait and see should be a given.

Speaking as a X3: Terran Conflict + Albion Prelude owner here. Was hyped about X: Rebirth, before it turned out a mess. Still keeping an eye on X4, but with managed expectations this time.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@tgob89 said:

Video? Picture? Anything? Uhh..

Loading Video...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto

From what I've seen with the X3 series, it's the space sim equivalent of what STALKER is to the FPS genre. Unforgiving to newbies with a steep learning curve. But, it's very addicting once the player figures it out. X4 should be similar.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#7 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:

From what I've seen with the X3 series, it's the space sim equivalent of what STALKER is to the FPS genre. Unforgiving to newbies with a steep learning curve. But, it's very addicting once the player figures it out. X4 should be similar.

Something like that. With the possible exception of X: Rebirth, which apparently tried to be more newbie-friendly, X games feature tons and tons of menus, a long controls list, and a steep learning curve. The appeal is in the "do anything, be anything" sandbox gameplay.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

After the disaster of X: Rebirth, I'm not having any hopes for X4 Foundations. I will check the reviews first before putting this on my wishlist.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Just saw it on Steam last night.

Hell yeah looks fun!

I've never really played an X game, somehow. I hope it ends up being good. I know X3, or one of them, is supposed to be really good.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Sooooo I never plaid a space sim, but I really bought into the pre-release hype for X-rebirth. I followed all the dev videos and was ready to get into the genre... I prebought and went right it on launch day. They shipped a turd and it set back my space sim curiosity for years.

Do I dare try again with this game? I just finished reading the expanse series and Im ready for space travel. I have to see if I should I give the X series another try and accept that rebirth was just an anomaly to a great series.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

Yep I'm really hoping it's gonna be more like x3 series than rebirth. They proper dropped the ball there. How is x rebirth vr..?? Anyone had any experience with that like to share their opinion..??

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jun_aka_pekto

I have the X3 package from GoG. It has a steeper learning curve than most space sims I played before. But, it has me intrigued enough where I'm willing to learn.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

i have to admit i was burned a bit by X rebirth. I was really excited for it as i it was pegged as a bit more newbie friendly so i was hoping it would hit that sweet spot of having a lot of the depth of previous X games but with things like the UI cleaned up and everything just made a bit more intuitive. pre rebirth X games are absolute monsters but i just cant give them the time they need to really shine anymore.

yeah....they didnt really fix that. instead they just cut back on the stuff i was hoping they would keep but simplify a bit. difficulty is still all over the place too.

that and it was released in a very bad state (though to egosofts credit they did work on it a lot after release.)

so X4.....yeah. i have it on my wishlist but im hesitant to click the buy button. its a series of immense depth but it asks a huge amount of the player. It looks wonderful though has to be said.

im probably going to speak blasphemy here but i wish egosoft poached some top talent from blizzard/nintendo and some Ui design experts from apple/MS and google and say "right. without compromising what X is i want you guys to make X more approachable and more user friendly. It will still be an open universe where the player can trade, fight, join factions, build stations, build trade fleets, effect the in game economy and so on. do aaaaallllllll that but in a more user friendly way".

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Will this game have the space highway traffic jam sim every time you want to make a jump? I can stomach another chance if they do away with this system.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Is this gonna be the disaster Rebirth was or is it gonna be a worthy successor to X3 TC and Albion Prelude? Kinda worried egosoft hasnt sent any review copies of X4 and really hasnt released any info up until release day.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

The older games are very flawed but still very fun. Being able to physically eject yourself from the space-ship to steal other ships, or fire a lazor to repair your own was just straight up cool.

I hope it's good, but my hopes aren't high after the last one.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I was excited for X4 Rebirth but it turned out complete trash so I'm not getting my hopes up for this.

mumunaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mumunaro
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

Watched some early reviews of X4 Foundation and while jurys still out, it has been positive.

Most surprising was how stable the game is and everything works. Its promising.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

I want to be hyped; X3 was brilliant, if not user-unfriendly, and the expansion/standalone spinoff was also pretty good. The most recent game before this one I did not play, but it was not received well by fans or critics iirc.

Idunno, I am done with "cult following" games I think, games like Risen, X-series, etc. The content is not worth the bugs, frustration, and toil. Maybe they got it right with X4 though!

@madrocketeer said:

Knowing Egosoft's track record, it will probably be full of bugs and missing features, before becoming at least decent after about two years worth of patches. Wait and see should be a given.

Speaking as a X3: Terran Conflict + Albion Prelude owner here. Was hyped about X: Rebirth, before it turned out a mess. Still keeping an eye on X4, but with managed expectations this time.

Yeah this is what keeps me away from X4. High hopes for it, just not expecting much.

If anyone here has played it let me/us know how it is!

@uninspiredcup said:

The older games are very flawed but still very fun. Being able to physically eject yourself from the space-ship to steal other ships, or fire a lazor to repair your own was just straight up cool.

I hope it's good, but my hopes aren't high after the last one.

I've always viewed the X-series of games as "offline EVE Online". Incredibly complex, not user friendly, but highly rewarding.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@osan0 said:

im probably going to speak blasphemy here but i wish egosoft poached some top talent from blizzard/nintendo and some Ui design experts from apple/MS and google and say "right. without compromising what X is i want you guys to make X more approachable and more user friendly. It will still be an open universe where the player can trade, fight, join factions, build stations, build trade fleets, effect the in game economy and so on. do aaaaallllllll that but in a more user friendly way".

I don't think it's blasphemy at all :) A lot of smaller developers are sort of making games "by programmers, for programmers" without really any sort of public relations department or player testing or quality control. Or very little of it, it seems. While I enjoy editing .ini files, love the modding community that PC gaming has, and all that jazz....I don't feel like I should have to rely on them to make a finished product playable. I shouldn't have to watch hours of YouTube footage* to learn how to play a game properly.

These places would benefit a lot from industry experts that know how to simplify, streamline, and otherwise make games more enjoyable in less amount of time.

The trick to this is not making it too streamlined, AKA "dumbed down", or taking away a lot of good game components that add depth.

*The exception, of course, if for hardcore flight sims like DCS where you are literally learning how to fly a real-life plane.