Anthem reviews are slowly creeping in and it ain't pretty.

• 63 results
misrespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 misrespect
Member since 2019 • 84 Posts

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/anthem

70 with just 4 reviews. Even Andromeda managed a 72. I mean sure it's just 4 but keep this thread bumped as more reviews come in.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

LOL. Yeah, Xbox has a marketing deal with Anthem :

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

LMAO. Reviews. This game is a blast. If I took reviews seriously games like Darksiders 3 would have been skipped for dumb reviewer reasons.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@Pedro said:

LMAO. Reviews. This game is a blast. If I took reviews seriously games like Darksiders 3 would have been skipped for dumb reviewer reasons.

I recently finished Darksiders 3 and it was a solid Metroidvania style game. I give it a 7/10. I love the original Darksiders which was an awesome mix of Zelda and God of War.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I been playing Anthem for days and I'm having a fucking blast with this game. This is the most fun MP game I enjoyed in a very long time. I'm moistly a single player gamer but Anthem is just addictive.

These reviewers are so late, they can't tell me nothing at this point.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

One review mentions technical issues holding it back for them but mentions patching could remedy their disatisfaction and another mentions that future content expansions will be pivotal to its success. Seems too early to judge it on future content, and it is a new ambitious online game by people who've primarily made SP RPGs then I can be more forgiving here. Plus, I'd like to support BioWare here, wouldn't want a future without them, this is their make-it-or-break-it project. Plus I already have friends willing to play this with me, and no other new co-op games really screaming "play me instead". Seems to me it'll be a rough launch, but they'll need to commit to patching and updating to maybe a degree that Rare has been doing for Sea of Thieves. I can't imagine EA will throw in the towel so soon.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

First reviews of these types of games are not a reliable barometer for how good the game will become. Both Warframe and Destiny were panned critically out of the gate but found their stride later on.

Regardless, I did not enjoy my time with it and will likely not partake until well down the road, should the game stay funded.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I've only played the demos and they were awesome. When it comes to the reviews I'm weighing more heavily the ones that come out in about a month. By that time everyone should have a good understanding about how it'll hold up. Right now some places are just looking for things to blast. Kotaku put out an article entirely on just the loading times I think right after day one patch notes were given that specifically were going to address load times.

Nothing wrong with that but it shows clearly that we are starved for more critism. Everyone says that they are being fair and objective yet will mention a couple good things and then proceeded to focus on negatives for 10 times the amount of time.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Gamers will play it regardless.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

I'm enjoying it regardless of reviews.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Games like Anthem and Destiny are not my cup of tea... I bought Destiny 2 and played around 4-5 hours and never went back, Anthem I played the demo for about the same time and have no interest in getting it.

I expected more from both games but nothing drew me in and I had pretty much no fun playing them The Division was more fun than those two games.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@Pedro: I'm convinced a ton of posters on this forum do not play videogames.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

While I would certainly love to see it getting better reviews they’re not necessarily the be all end all for me. I still think that the game looks like something that I’ll enjoy so I’ll probably still get it.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

There are 4 reviews and they are all 7/10. You know that's a decent score outside of System Wars, right?

They're all 7/10. Meaning all 4 reviewers think Anthem is alright. Now consider this is a live service - most of which are in a really bad state at launch.

As far as I'm concerned this game should be considered beta for at least the next year or two. If it survives that, it will be around for a long time and will likely receive a ton of updates.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@BassMan said:

I recently finished Darksiders 3 and it was a solid Metroidvania style game. I give it a 7/10. I love the original Darksiders which was an awesome mix of Zelda and God of War.

Same reason why I love it, does part 3 still offer that nice blend of Zelda-esque dungeons with great combat?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#16  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@BassMan said:

Same reason why I love it, does part 3 still offer that nice blend of Zelda-esque dungeons with great combat?

Combat is pretty good, but the Zelda dungeons are gone. It is very much a Metroidvania style game now. Interconnected areas that you traverse as you unlock new abilities and light puzzle solving.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zidaneski

@pyro1245: wow, 7/10 average considering all the issues present at the moment? That is actually better than I thought. From all the negative stuff I heard it sounded like a 5/10 game or below. I mean with load times into the 3 minute marks I generally was expecting much worse reviews.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@Zidaneski said:

@pyro1245: wow, 7/10 average considering all the issues present at the moment? That is actually better than I thought. From all the negative stuff I heard it sounded like a 5/10 game or below. I mean with load times into the 3 minute marks I generally was expecting much worse reviews.

Yeah, it will [hopefully] get patched into an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Game is, after all, a lot of fun despite the issues, and that's sort of the point of games.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zidaneski

For me I'm sure I'll like it but getting my friends on board the game will need to actually be better than okay. All I ever needed was a Warframe-like game with a better art style. Reading through the in-game lore has been enjoyable in the demo and seeing that real-life trailer gives me hope we'll see some spectacular things in the game and maybe more stuff outside the game.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think, at some point, we're going to wake up to the reality that American-based megapublushers have tried their best to make a business model out of launching purposefully incomplete games so that they can then, over the course of a couple of years, sell you an entire second game in terms of user dollars just to give you what you should have got on day one... All while putting the developer on the hook to recoup money halfway through the real development cycle of the game or it will be abandonware.

Its a terrible practice for gamers, and if I am being fair, its also terrible for the developers.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I think, at some point, we're going to wake up to the reality that American-based megapublushers have tried their best to make a business model out of launching purposefully incomplete games so that they can then, over the course of a couple of years, sell you an entire second game in terms of user dollars just to give you what you should have got on day one... All while putting the developer on the hook to recoup money halfway through the real development cycle of the game or it will be abandonware.

Its a terrible practice for gamers, and if I am being fair, its also terrible for the developers.

On the bright side, they'll practically be giving this game away in less than a year - as with all EA games.

Activation is going that way too, I saw Destiny 2 for like $5 and thought about picking it up. But... nah. It was probably just the "vanilla" game anyway (so would need to spend more $$$). I actually don't mind picking up "complete editions" of games a year or two down the road, I just don't like being nickle and dimed.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@2Chalupas: I can relate a funny story on that. I was feeling the itch to get Anthem but figured I could get all three destiny 2 expansions for 40 bucks, instead.

I learned two things from this. First, I was dumb as a box of rocks for buying D2 when it launched. It truly is a lot better with content to support it. Second lesson, the words "Season Pass" should be synonymous with "F you, buy more game you quasi-sentient piggy bank."

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#23 freedom01
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

@davillain- said:

I been playing Anthem for days and I'm having a fucking blast with this game. This is the most fun MP game I enjoyed in a very long time. I'm moistly a single player gamer but Anthem is just addictive.

These reviewers are so late, they can't tell me nothing at this point.

agreed, as a PvE game, it is very addictive. While the game is not perfect and have multiple problems (which it appears to be mostly fixed on their upcoming patch), its a good co-op game

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts
@davillain- said:

I'm moist

glad you're enjoying it pal

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what others think of a game. If you like it; enjoy it. I've been enjoying Anthem AND Crackdown 3.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@davillain-: Yeah the core gameplay is incredible to me, the suits look so cool & stylish. Flying away from the thick of the action never gets old, you've got so much freedom with your different moves. I also love hovering with my thrusters, I use that a lot. I really hope they support this game well & make the endgame stuff very compelling.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Seems like Bioware are really trying to make it work , some big patches today and big content planned in March.

Meanwhile Bethesda literally let FO76 die with 0 content so far and still a hot mess of bugs, because of how huge a disaster it was. Although to be fair, FO76 was not the main Bethesda Game Studio, just cobbled together interns who are all mostly fired now it seems.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

It’s a technical mess on PC. Once again PC is an afterthought.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Anthem looked bad from the start. Not surprised at all by the poor reviews. Another failed marketing deal for Microsoft too.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@that_old_guy said:

Could you show what you're talking about? Whilst being a lackluster launch, I still run at Ultra settings on a 1070/7700k with 60+fps. There are detractors, but they seem intrinsic to the core game and not the system.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

You would think companies that release games would make sure the shit is running smoothly to avoid crap like this.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

GS - 6/10

Bye Bioware.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zaryia
@Random_Matt said:

GS - 6/10

Bye Bioware.

Byeware

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zaryia
@that_old_guy said:

Console load times are unbearably bad compared to PC. We are talking 5+ minutes (5 load screens, 1-2 min each). FPS and GFX are higher on PC. Aiming is better on PC.

Like 90% of all other video games released this gen, this is substantially superior experience on PC.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Anthem looked bad from the start. Not surprised at all by the poor reviews. Another failed marketing deal for Microsoft too.

Yeah I am sure it would have been great if Sony had the marketing rights like they did for Star Wars Battle front 2.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Played the 10hr trial on EA Access and enjoyed my time. Will most likely pick it up especially with free content. One huge issue i had with Destiny was the paid content and the debacle on purchasing certain content enable to play certain modes.

Bioware is doing it the right way with free content and not gating off the players.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@xhawk27 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Yeah I am sure it would have been great if Sony had the marketing rights like they did for Star Wars Battle front 2.

One of MS's execs has been on Twitter crying over the bad reviews. You would think it was a first party exclusive the way he's acting over it.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@xhawk27 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

One of MS's execs has been on Twitter crying over the bad reviews. You would think it was a first party exclusive the way he's acting over it.

He is most likely on the hot seat at MS for the last few years of failing Xbox games and marketing failures.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Bioware doing it the right way? Erm, it is EA, wait a while and it will have diabolical microtransactions, pay to win and all that garbage.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

I'd feel sympathy for Bioware state if they weren't cheering when Totalbiscuit died. That shit was fucked up.

Guess it's their turn for a mortuary.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Crooks != Bioware. It’s completely unfair to call karma on that one.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

The Division>>>> Anthem and Destiny combined.

The Division 2 will slaughter Anthem.

FACTS!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pedro

@ajstyles said:

The Division>>>> Anthem and Destiny combined.

The Division 2 will slaughter Anthem.

FACTS!

Looks like someone doesn't understand how facts work. Oooops! I forgot what faction you are from, please continue. :)

misrespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 misrespect
Member since 2019 • 84 Posts

@Random_Matt: Come on give it a chance. Remember when Destiny got a 6?

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

It's the best iron man game out there. What's not to love? It's Iron man goes to Pandora. Great gameplay and absolutely beautiful world.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zidaneski

@ajstyles: oh man, I remember when the division launched. Played that game for like a month and couldn’t do it anymore. All I remember about that game was running to cover with 3 other dudes and shooting for 5 minutes and then proceeding to the next room.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

Quality and Fun are 2 different things.

I like Knack games because of the game type, I find them fun. They are mediocre quality games probably like 5-6/10.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I'd feel sympathy for Bioware state if they weren't cheering when Totalbiscuit died. That shit was fucked up.

if they are. they are disgusting.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#49 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

if they are. they are disgusting.

A lot of people had a bone to pick with him, but waited until he couldn't reply.

Incredibly brave.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro

@uninspiredcup said:

Can you provide evidence of Bioware the studio cheering for the death of Totalbiscuit?