Anthem is so much fun! WTF you guys are blabbering about?

• 68 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

But I won't denied it's story is generic but I guess that's to be expected for a MP game only. The characters are boring as well but oh well. The gameplay is were this game really shines. The various Javelin classes are all well interesting, The Ranger class fits really well for my all-around Iron Man like here.

PC version runs pretty well, it ain't no graphics king but the graphics are pretty good, can run it on ultra 1440p/60fps+ on my 1080Ti no problem. Combat is so much better, more depth than Destiny BS crap, so that's good!

Again, what's the problem you have with Anthem? Let me guess, it's EA right?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

There are dozens of multiplayer RPG’s out there. What does it do that warrants my money?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

When a revered dev screws up, that's when the toxicity of the gaming community bleeds out and they make it exceptionally difficult for these devs to have a chance at redeeming themselves.

It happened with Bioware and it happened recently with Bethesda. Good luck to these devs ever getting the respect back from the gaming community.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@davillain- said:

But I won't denied it's story is generic but I guess that's to be expected for a MP game only. The characters are boring as well but oh well. The gameplay is were this game really shines. The various Javelin classes are all well interesting, The Ranger class fits really well for my all-around Iron Man like here.

PC version runs pretty well, it ain't no graphics king but the graphics are pretty good, can run it on ultra 1440p/60fps+ on my 1080Ti no problem. Combat is so much better, more depth than Destiny BS crap, so that's good!

My problem with the game is that you can play it solo, but are required to be online, and BioWare effectively reduced what could have been a great sci-fi RPG to just another loot-based shooter.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

It also does not help that Bioware continually spirals down the philosophy of EA, one of the most despised companies in the gaming industry. To continue going down this path Bioware will eventually be nothing. The only fans of EA are people who aren't fans of EA, but people who play sports games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44162 Posts

I haven’t played it myself but I have really liked what I’ve seen on it. Am very much looking forward to getting it myself.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

There are dozens of multiplayer RPG’s out there. What does it do that warrants my money?

Unless you have EA Premier, it's worth the play but if not, do not and I mean, do not pay full price, not worth the full price what EA is asking. Same goes for Crackdown 3 to be honest.

@JustPlainLucas said:

My problem with the game is that you can play it solo, but are required to be online, and BioWare effectively reduced what could have been a great sci-fi RPG to just another loot-based shooter.

Totally understandable, Bioware was trying to see if they can go MP route and while you can play solo, it does require for you to be always online.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'm enjoying it very much, the suits reminds me of Dead Space a little, the gameplay feels a little like Halo 5 but with more variety with the flying.

Core gameplay is quite enjoyable, I love how you can fly and then hover, feels great. My main issue after a few hours of play is I got this audio glitch and the sound completely cut out, had to restart the game. Apparently this is a known issue, doesn't happen often but when it does its a showstopper, I hope they fix that soon.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The tutorial made it seem like the interface is a maze of menu's and odd controls. F, E, Q, R, P and space are used to proceed to the next menu, cancel, etc. feeling a little non-intuitive. Clicking a mission goes to a map where the mission is... but you can't go to the mission from there. You have to go back to mission select and click something else to start it. It's probably fine if you play it for a half hour but it felt like one of those Japanese PC ports.

And the flying feels super clunky. Compared to something like Warframe/Tribes Ascend it's a little finicky. And the intro could have been a more epic cutscene, starting your gameplay in a bootcamp. I think that would have been more impactful than having a mission that's supposed to feel like a big deal being used as your training wheels mission.

Aside from those pet peeves it seems to be a Destiny. It has dailys, weeklys, monthlys and lot's of loot, a Power level for your gear, Limited-Respawn zones, it's own jargon for seemingly standard game elements, everything that made Destiny Destiny. I bet most of my negative impressions (watching/playing through the introduction with a friend) are things I'd just need to get used to, anyway.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#10  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Okay, just to be clear, I only played the public demo. Played around with it for a bit, got frustrated with the UI and the flying and underwater controls, and uninstalled, with the expectation that BioWare would be true to their words and improve them.

So even now, I'm still open minded, and don't really have a problem with the game. However, as I said in another thread, I've been getting impressions from certain YouTubers who I trust would give me solid and knowledgeable opinions on looter shooters like Anthem. Their impressions are as follows:

1. Loading is surprisingly frequent for an open world game, and are long, even on a system with an SSD.
  2. Mission structure is very repetitive. If you've played the demo, you've pretty much already played it.
  3. The campaign is 13 hours long, about 10 of which is filler, and ends in a similar fashion to Destiny 1.
  4. The story, which should be BioWare's strong suit, is delivered through talking to NPCs in the hub area. Dialogue choices are meaningless.
  5. Speaking of which, Fort Tarsis, the hub area, is quiet and feels lifeless. This is supposed to be a city people live in.
  6. Endgame consists of 2 missions, plus grinding 100 Events and 25 each of Strongholds, Contracts and Quickplays to get a cosmetic item, 4,000 Coin and some crafting material.

Now, to be clear, I am not saying this game is bad and doomed and all that nonsense. What I'm actually saying is according to the impressions above, this is NOT the time to jump in if you're serious about your looter shooter. Anthem is hardly the first looter shooter to launch in a bare-bones state, and previous games in the genre have improved over time and gone on to be rather good. It's also far from the looter shooter to have an endgame problem.

So in summation: if you have a way to try it, give it a go and see if it strikes your fancy. If you like the core gameplay loop and don't mind the repetition and lack of content, then jump in if you really, really want to. Otherwise, wait six months and have another look.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Destiny and Destiny 2 were also A BLAST to play for a week or two, but the endgame and lack of content is what tanked those games. So, in all sincerity, I am totally expecting the "OMGTWFBBQ GAIZ!" threads. Talk to me in late march or early April and tell me if you still feel the same way. I'll be here. That was always going to be my litmus test for this game after having suffered Destiny hype twice.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@Shewgenja: Forsaken alleviates many of the endgame complaints but the natural passage of time and development is most to credit.

Per the OP, the shooting mechanics are mundane and the primary hook is using primers and detonators between classes. Of the 3 hours of the open demo I played, it became stale, plus its UI was a clobbered mess when it came to messing with gear. I also was not a fan of the first person perspective they put you into when you visit the bastion.

Also, I don’t know what was going on but I couldn’t get the motion blur to go away on PC no matter what I did.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

The Beta caused me to cancel, games boring as hell after the new game googles wears off.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

For me its probably the nature of the type of game it is. Like destiny they are light mmorpg so not much in content. Not much exploration and interactions. I know the story wont be put together like a true Bioware single player rpg. Last thing is the gameplay. No pvp to add variety like destiny at least. The pve can get boring fast if gameplay is as mundane as mmorpgs tend to be. You say its good is it like MH good. Are the enemies as cool as you. Do they give you some interesting dynamic challenges. I hope its not just line up shots and pew pew pew with cool effects lol. Cool for a week but then it becomes a light repetitive single player game masking as a service game. I want something from the enemies. Some progression from them. Basically have they solved the Destiny and Division problem. Will you come back a week from now and change the title to Anthem is boring now.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@davillain- said:
@Juub1990 said:

Unless you have EA Premier, it's worth the play but if not, do not and I mean, do not pay full price, not worth the full price what EA is asking. Same goes for Crackdown 3 to be honest.

This is a contradiction of this thread.

If it's so fun, why is it not worth the standard retail price of a game?

Sounds like another Destiny to me. Why would I play this over say Warframe?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Hate EA for sure, but just have no interest in the game itself.

It just, kinda looks boring to me.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

I'm enjoying it as well. The microtransactions are very fairly priced and you don't have to buy them since the grind in this game is fairly easy.

The story is also surprisingly decent which is amazing since these looter shooters tend to be crap when it comes to story.

I think it's a good game and people's blind hate for EA is clouding their judgment. If you give the game its fair shake you will find that it's a good game.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I don't want to play a MP game with a shallow story and characters. I don't want to play a game that's sold as a service. I don't want to play a game that doesn't respect my time. I don't want to play a game where everything has to be balanced in such a way that it's 'fair' for the MMO experience.

EA is not going to stop me from buying a game that I think I will enjoy. HOWEVER, this game was clearly built to EA's specifications - specifications that don't really interest me, good combat or not.

Too bad it's not single player.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

WoW Classic > Anthem imo ill wait for classic to come back I hate these looter shooters crappy MMO's with no chat or anything.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@jaydan: They honestly don't have much of a choice unless EA sells them off.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#21 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@davillain- said:

Totally understandable, Bioware was trying to see if they can go MP route and while you can play solo, it does require for you to be always online.

Yep, that right there was the deal breaker for me. There was another game a few years back that I wanted to play, but it had forced online for the single player as well. Can't remember what it was... But yeah, I don't go for those shenanigans.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Who care's is it fun, what's the metascore?!

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@ProtossRushX: ive tried so many times to get back into wow.. I played heavy vanilla thru wrath, quit came back for mists, quit, came back for the end of legion and boa, quit, they just dumbed it down so much from the first 3 games, I cant justify paying a subscription, I dont know how I feel about vanilla, I truly feel like it needs to go F2P to become a success.

Btw anthem looks like a destiny clone, looks borring as hell

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I haven’t done any research on this game at all. I just chalked it up as a Destiny clone. Maybe I need to start looking into it. I’m on a MCC and Forza Horizon 4 kick atm though.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

I haven’t done any research on this game at all. I just chalked it up as a Destiny clone. Maybe I need to start looking into it. I’m on a MCC and Forza Horizon 4 kick atm though.

Two best things imo to be playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Damn, people play some proper shit these days. After watching plenty of vids including the one from DF, it is the most repetitive garbage I have ever seen, easily pleased gamers.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Game is great so fare, great shooting, beautiful graphic ( it is a serious contender for graphic king imo) and pretty good story. Major downsides are some horrible loading times, and you get loading screens allll the time, also the menus are a mess and clearly made with consoles in mind...

That being said, I would probaly advise anyone paying full price for it, for much like destiny worth of the street is it have ZERO longevity and a extremely short campaign that won’t even get your near max lvl..

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#28 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

I enjoyed the demo/beta but I have not played the full release yet because Metro Exodus takes priority for me. I do have Anthem installed and ready to go though.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

It seemed okay. Maybe worth 30 dollars, definitely not 60, though. Also, the graphics do seem downgraded from their initial showing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

It doesn't really do anything special is my main issue. There's microtransactions (I don't trust EA with any in game economy system) and the story is generic. It's only interesting thing is the flying suits.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The problem with these loot games is they are fun for a week. Destiny 2 was fun the first week I played it. Then there's absolutely nothing left to do once you hit the level cap unless you want to buy overpriced DLC. I'm not falling for it again.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@davillain-: No, it's Bioware. Any company that would hire this asshole and push their SJW agenda with every game release I refuse to support with my wallet. I still like ME2 though lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@jaydan: Serves them right imo. Neither case was minor screw ups. Only feel bad for devs caught in the middle of publisher decisions like 4A games.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@jaydan said:

When a revered dev screws up, that's when the toxicity of the gaming community bleeds out and they make it exceptionally difficult for these devs to have a chance at redeeming themselves.

It happened with Bioware and it happened recently with Bethesda. Good luck to these devs ever getting the respect back from the gaming community.

Bethesda lost all my respect when they dropped that steaming pile of poo, FO4.

Todd Howard has confirmed the ES6 and Starfield will be using the same Gamebryo/Creation engine that was ancient when FO4 launched.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

davillain is probably a fan of destiny and the division.

nothing to see here people

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

Yeah I am pleasantly surprised, I am really enjoying the game a lot. I've only put a few hours in, but I like the simple missions, though they can be a bit repetative. On the plus side, I feel like I only need to play the game for 20-30 minutes to have fun. It doesn't require any grind or anything, it's just fun to play.

The story isn't amazing, but the dialogue and voice acting is enjoyable. It's all pretty playful and witty for the most part, with a serious character here and there, which is kind of nice from the usual doom and gloom we get from Bioware.

I'm expecting people to hate on this game because it's EA and a Destiny "clone", but that'd be unfair. I'm also expecting Gamespot to rate it a 6 or 7 and for there to be mass hysterics, but honestly those scores these days are a good thing imo; it means the game is not for everyone, but if you do like, you've found a game you're really going to like.

@Juub1990 said:

It's not an RPG. That actually caught me off guard, was expecting a skill tree or character building or something. Thankfully, this action game is free of it; plenty of depth in the gameplay and customization.

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

The problem with these loot games is they are fun for a week. Destiny 2 was fun the first week I played it. Then there's absolutely nothing left to do once you hit the level cap unless you want to buy overpriced DLC. I'm not falling for it again.

We shall see. Bioware has always been an innovative company, for better or worse; I've only spent a few hours in the game, so there's still a lot to play, but I hope the end-game content is pretty good.

Right now they haven't really rolled out the "epic loot" yet and, I gotta be honest, it's kind of nice. I don't feel the need to do certain things just for nice gear, I can just play the game.

@KBFloYd said:

davillain is probably a fan of destiny and the division.

nothing to see here people

Can't speak for davillain, but I loathe Destiny 2, The Division, and even Borderlands, and I am enjoying Anthem a lot.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Flying around these beautiful environments, far off planets and mysterious flora seems like a lot of fun.

Glad you are enjoying the game!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I'm really enjoying it atm. The only thing that is really bothering me, is that even at 60fps+ there's noticeable judder. I've only dipped to around 54 at the lowest, and i'm rocking all Ultra and HBAO.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lundy86_4

@R4gn4r0k: The game is drop-dead gorgeous... It's not often that I actively want to take screenshots (though I haven't yet.)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@R4gn4r0k: The game is drop-dead gorgeous... It's not often that I actively want to take screenshots (though I haven't yet.)

Totally agree man, same thing I would say for Destiny 2.

Therefore I feel they are somewhat wasting potential, because the beautiful worlds/backdrops would make for some insane more story driven singleplayer experience. And instead they opt for MMO elements.

Or do you feel differently about this?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lundy86_4

@R4gn4r0k said:

Totally agree man, same thing I would say for Destiny 2.

Therefore I feel they are somewhat wasting potential, because the beautiful worlds/backdrops would make for some insane more story driven singleplayer experience. And instead they opt for MMO elements.

Or do you feel differently about this?

I agree. I'm fine with the MP elements, but it's a heavy focus on MP that is kinda "meh." My bro has the game as well, so we'll hop on and off together, but playing with randoms at the moment isn't the most fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@davillain- said:

Totally this, when I experienced this during the beta I was like:

The F*ck they were thinking saying it had a single player campaign??? But I also agree with TC, the flight and combat mechanics are pretty good, with decent and interesting AI and a beautiful world.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Honestly, I would love it if a company made an honest-to-god subscription MMO based off of the Destiny/Anthem formula. So, don't take my last comment as a diss. I am wildly skeptical that a $60 game and DLC model can sustain my interest in something like this the way I want it to.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

That made me chuckle.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@jaydan said:

It also does not help that Bioware continually spirals down the philosophy of EA, one of the most despised companies in the gaming industry. To continue going down this path Bioware will eventually be nothing. The only fans of EA are people who aren't fans of EA, but people who play sports games.

I used to love playing sports games many moons ago (PS2 gen), but even those are disgusting now with the ultimate team and gambling stuff - and they no longer made two of the sports franchises I was most into (NCAA and Tiger PGA Tour). They seem to no longer even try to refine gameplay anymore, the few I've tried this gen (Madden) seem like they've hardly progressed at all and may even be more glitchy (animation/gameplay wise) than ever.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Is this game sort of like those old Phantasy Star Online games? That was pretty repetitive and loot based. But I quite enjoyed it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

Just pick up Anthem 2 days ago on my Xbox One X with EA Access. I got to say, this game is really addicting, I enjoy loot shooters myself and a huge fan of Destiny 1/2. I'm only using the Storm Javelin and he's really fun to use and chain combos are a lot of fun to do. I too don't see why it's being hated and I don't understand why you think the story is generic? It's pretty engaging to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

- lack of content

- bugs galore

Better to wait for patches, more content and a cheaper price.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

I have no doubt the combat would be fun, the way it's fun in destiny.... But I'm most curious in how long it lasts before the community realizes, like destiny, there is more to do while taking the trash out than playing this game.

How long before they want a big chunk of money for the next portion of the game..?

These big MP games, spend so much graphics, and power, even shooting mechanics and balancing and then offer us scraps for content... That's my Anthem fear.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I enjoy games that have enemies that bleed numbers. I would be playing warframe, destiny, or division but the art style for anthem is why I’m choosing specifically to play it. After playing the demo though my favorite aspect of the game is that there are more movement options. I love that you can fight while hovering and you have evasion options even at top speed. I felt a missed opportunity in spider man was that the swinging was great but it was treated as mainly just transportation, you couldn’t really engage enemies while swinging and thus you got forced into qte.