Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69716 Posts

Lets try this again

As Anthem's one-year anniversary inches closer, developer BioWare has provided a vague commitment to "focusing on a longer-term redesign of the experience" while seemingly recycling currently available content across all platforms, according to a blog post.

General manager Casey Hudson wrote briefly about what's coming to Anthem over the next few months, specifically noting "there's still more fundamental work to be done to bring out the full potential of the experience." Hudson said BioWare will provide "a focused team" the time necessary to essentially overhaul the game, with a focus on "gameplay first."

Do you think Bioware can salvage Anthem like No Man Sky or is it doom to fail again?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Well, I credit them for giving it another crack, but I have no expectations - especially as there is nothing to go on right now.

I'll wait to see the results for myself.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

I'd rather them move on and learn from their mistakes. They're under EA now, and Respawn was given a chance (one could assume,) with Jedi Fallen Order... That went over amazingly. Bio, get back to your roots.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17832 Posts

The core game is fun for a little bit, but the mission designs and objectives were shit. I would prefer Bioware just focus on traditional story driven games with epic campaigns.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

The Core gameplay of the flow was the reason why I really enjoy Anthem when it launch last year in February 2019, it's the repetitive missions that was becoming a problem, the story was interesting but the endgame was very lackluster and the lack of customization with the cosmetics was laughable. If anything, I rather for Bioware to just make Anthem 2 and do it right this time around cause salvaging Anthem now will only do more harm. I have Origin Premier but I don't see myself replaying it anytime soon unless it's a massive change like with No Man's Sky.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

If they can manage to provide a Mass Effect 2 like experience with deep characters and lore single player story mode (as they should have in the first place), and then use that lore to provide the destiny-like experience I would definitely buy it. That's what I expected from Anthem and it was just thrown together and pushed out to gamers.

You could feel it was rushed just by the load screens everywhere.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

Honestly I don't know. They could if they really wanted to.

But do they want to? Do they really?

If they're just paying lip service to this whole "We will fix the game" thing, then they're better off just moving on.

@Pedro said:

Lets try this again

As Anthem's one-year anniversary inches closer, developer BioWare has provided a vague commitment to "focusing on a longer-term redesign of the experience" while seemingly recycling currently available content across all platforms, according to a blog post.

General manager Casey Hudson wrote briefly about what's coming to Anthem over the next few months, specifically noting "there's still more fundamental work to be done to bring out the full potential of the experience." Hudson said BioWare will provide "a focused team" the time necessary to essentially overhaul the game, with a focus on "gameplay first."

Do you think Bioware can salvage Anthem like No Man Sky or is it doom to fail again?

I don't think it is beyond EA or Bioware to salvage anything, no matter how terrible; they certainly have the talent and the resources.

The question is: do they have the right leadership? From what I've read of both Anthem and ME: Andromeda, it suffered from a lot of really poor decisions at the top.

@lundy86_4 said:

I'd rather them move on and learn from their mistakes. They're under EA now, and Respawn was given a chance (one could assume,) with Jedi Fallen Order... That went over amazingly. Bio, get back to your roots.

Could not agree more. Good things happen when EA steps back and let their developers do their thing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@davillain- said:

The Core gameplay of the flow was the reason why I really enjoy Anthem when it launch last year in February 2019, it's the repetitive missions that was becoming a problem, the story was interesting but the endgame was very lackluster and the lack of customization with the cosmetics was laughable. If anything, I rather for Bioware to just make Anthem 2 and do it right this time around cause salvaging Anthem now will only do more harm. I have Origin Premier but I don't see myself replaying it anytime soon unless it's a massive change like with No Man's Sky.

Or give us Anthem 2 by remaking Anthem so we only pay once. :)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Yeah, Respawn released a solid SW game, and I think Bio deserves the same respect. They aren't a shadow of what they once were, obviously, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve a chance.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44275 Posts

Yeah I think that it’s entirely possible for them to fix up Anthem. I wouldn’t mind seeing them try and succeed myself as I thought the initial concept for the game looked great. If they can turn it around I wouldn’t mind picking it up and getting into it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

No Man's Sky is still a bad game. Only thing that was salvaged was a group of putzes invested enough to continue playing that boring ass shit. Anthem's core mechanics from my understanding weren't the issue as much as the stuff surrounding it was trash. Given the love for WoW, Destiny, Diablo, people will play a bad game for hundreds of hours if you have just enough putz factor. So my money is on they are probably too late, like they could add it, but doubt an audience will come back for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I'm all for it as the game is enjoyable in it's current state, they have made many improvements from launch. If they can rebuild it and make some more significant improvements that would probably bring many people back.

The big question is will they make it free if you purchased the initial game, or will they charge you again for the upgrade?

If they try to charge I'm guessing it won't go down well at all, not with me anyway.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39137 Posts

I feel like Anthem came out in 2017. This game is worse than Fallout 76, Destiny 1 at launch, Destiny 2 at launch, Andromeda and NMS at launch. Imagine the existence of such a mediocre game.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Can they fix it...probably. Will it matter, probably not as the damage is already done and the name is tainted beyond repair IMO. Had they been able to do more a lot earlier I think they could have made it work, but a year later still throwing promises around to fix it...yeah its to late now no matter what they do.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Even if they fix it, it'll still just be yet another looter-shooter game-as-a-service grind fest which I'm not interested in.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

They made a miracle comeback with BFV and SWBF2. I'll wait and see if it's good then will try at a heavily discounted price

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator

Okay, after reading Bioware's General Manager: Casey Hudson statement, I find it to be full of BS. He knew Anthem was a complete mess with no bare bone content, cosmetics lackluster but gonna go ahead and charge for it anyways, and none of the cool stuff wasn't in the game that was shown at E3 2018. I get that Bioware is trying to say they are so sorry for releasing a mess of an new IP game, but it's too late to salvage whatever's left out of Anthem. What Bioware really needs to do is, build Anthem 2 from the ground up and start all over again. By the way, I had no idea Anthem still have Christmas decorations up in the hub world after all this time. Shows how little I give a damn about coming back to Anthem. I mean, it didn't pay full price, just played it through Origin Premier, I'll reinstalled it and see what's up but my expectations are low.

Is there anything worth salvaging from this IP? Bioware should take the flying mechanic gameplay and stick into the new Mass Effect game. Something Andromeda should have had it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@davillain- said:

Okay, after reading Bioware's General Manager: Casey Hudson statement, I find it to be full of BS. He knew Anthem was a complete mess with no bare bone content, cosmetics lackluster but gonna go ahead and charge for it anyways, and none of the cool stuff wasn't in the game that was shown at E3 2018. I get that Bioware is trying to say they are so sorry for releasing a mess of an new IP game, but it's too late to salvage whatever's left out of Anthem. What Bioware really needs to do is, build Anthem 2 from the ground up and start all over again. By the way, I had no idea Anthem still have Christmas decorations up in the hub world after all this time. Shows how little I give a damn about coming back to Anthem. I mean, it didn't pay full price, just played it through Origin Premier, I'll reinstalled it and see what's up but my expectations are low.

Is there anything worth salvaging from this IP? Bioware should take the flying mechanic gameplay and stick into the new Mass Effect game. Something Andromeda should have had it.

That's why they should do whatever they need to do whether its making it an Anthem 2 but allow for existing purchasers to upgrade to the newer version of the game at no cost.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator

@Pedro: Only time will tell. If Hello Games can salvage NMS and turn it into a better game then it was on launch, I'll be mighty surprise if Bioware can pull a rabbit out of it's hat and make Anthem great again. (Pun intended lol)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

Seems like they should have got started on that turn around forever ago, so no, game is dead as far as I am concerned. And pretty much Bioware for that matter, I see no future for them.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

This is a non-starter for me. The game is RELEASED and people SPENT MONEY on it. You're going to work on the core game? The fundamentals? What the f*ck are we doing, man? Seriously. Please @ me

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#25 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Honestly seems like a bad use of resources.

they were late to the looter shooter party. no one wanted a game like that from Bioware. they should learn from their mistakes and move on

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17832 Posts
@with_teeth26 said:

Honestly seems like a bad use of resources.

they were late to the looter shooter party. no one wanted a game like that from Bioware. they should learn from their mistakes and move on

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

Anthem combat and flight mechanic is really good, they could salvage the machanics for Iron man game instead.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11131 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Same, it's going to be a waste of resources trying to find a new angle to revive this dead horse. Why risk being EAs next closure over this thing?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

I'm sure all the person still playing will be thrilled!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts

Lol? Ok. Pretty sure the ship has sailed. They expect people to flock to an already forgotten game?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think the core gameplay is the only thing Bioware got right about this game. It's the idea that sucks ass. They executed it very well.