cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#101 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I can only chime in as a gamer that played its demo/beta and I just didnt give a crap. After Destiny 1, Division, I dont care about these "looter-shooters". I dont believe Bioware now is the company we all loved years ago.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts

@onesiphorus: they are right about the fustation which playong with others. Wrong about the issues of flying.

But every bioware games has bad bosses out side of dragon age. I'm not surprised this game has bad bosses.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#103 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts
@Pedro said:
@Litchie said:

Of course not. It looks really bad.

"You can't have opinions about a game you haven't played".

Um, yes I can.

Then my point still stands.

Only way I see your point still standing would be if I hated EA or Bioware, or if I can't have opinions about games I haven't played. But both of those are wrong.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 dreman999

@ProtossRushX: Do you know how much crap falcon and se has put out over the years. They are no better.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#105 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@Chutebox: Games as a Service.

Examples: Destiny, Warframe, World of Warcraft, FFXIV, etc.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#106 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

@Litchie said:

Only way I see your point still standing would be if I hated EA or Bioware, or if I can't have opinions about games I haven't played. But both of those are wrong.

Well I can't prove you are or are not part of the EA and Bioware hate train, just that this behavior is trending and folks are bandwagon jumping. In this case I can at least say that you are bandwagon jumping. You and anyone are free to comment on things you have not experience but it doesn't give your opinion any worth. Which is why you were bundled with the group previously mentioned. :)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Litchie
@Pedro said:
@Litchie said:

Well I can't prove you are or are not part of the EA and Bioware hate train, just that this behavior is trending and folks are bandwagon jumping. In this case I can at least say that you are bandwagon jumping. You and anyone are free to comment on things you have not experience but it doesn't give your opinion any worth. Which is why you were bundled with the group previously mentioned. :)

I understood that but thought I was wrongfully bundled. :P

If my opinion about a game I haven't played has any worth or not is up to you. I can just say that I've played so many different games for so many years that when I see a game being played, I'm quick to recognize how it is to play. I might not get the 100% full picture, but that is very rarely needed to form an opinion. I can compare it to thousands of other games I've played. Reading up on a game and watching several gameplay videos is usually enough to form a good opinion about how the game is overall, its' features, its' visuals and more. It's not like I'd magically love all the things I don't like in games by playing it.

Take Destiny 2. Holy living bejebus how bad I thought that game looked. But it was still popular so I decided to try it out when it was free. Gave it a good chance for 8 hours. Everything I thought I'd hate, I hated.
Tried out Sea of Thieves recently. Everything I've formed a negative opinion about that game was confirmed by playing it. Everything I thought I'd like, I liked. Not to sound like I'm boasting, but I know videogames and what I like.

mave198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By mave198
Member since 2004 • 7332 Posts

Oh lawd let loose the salt Lords LMAO!!

This thread needs some more memes and gifs

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@zaryia:

The sad thing is Borderlands already exists. Gearbox already proved you can release a complete game in this genre with a compelling story to boot. They even added meaningful DLC after launch. It just doesn’t do the ‘shared world’ thing.

Unfortunately publishers have figured out people will buy early access games so long as you call it ‘live service.’

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Pedro

@Litchie said:

I understood that but thought I was wrongfully bundled. :P

If my opinion about a game I haven't played has any worth or not is up to you. I can just say that I've played so many different games for so many years that when I see a game being played, I'm quick to recognize how it is to play. I might not get the 100% full picture, but that is very rarely needed to form an opinion. I can compare it to thousands of other games I've played. Reading up on a game and watching several gameplay videos is usually enough to form a good opinion about how the game is overall, its' features, its' visuals and more. It's not like I'd magically love all the things I don't like in games by playing it.

Take Destiny 2. Holy living bejebus how bad I thought that game looked. But it was still popular so I decided to try it out when it was free. Gave it a good chance for 8 hours. Everything I thought I'd hate, I hated.

Tried out Sea of Thieves recently. Everything I've formed a negative opinion about that game was confirmed by playing it. Everything I thought I'd like, I liked. Not to sound like I'm boasting, but I know videogames and what I like.

Is a review of any worth if the person doing the reviewing never played the game but relied solely on what was seen in a video? You, anyone even myself can deduce the quality of a game relative to our personal benchmark by looking at videos but that deduction is based on a detached experience of the game. Even people who play a game opinions can be worthless if the game is not being review in the proper context or is purposely leaving out or over emphasizing particular features. People have a tendency of treating reviews as objective truth when its typically emotionally driven opinions with insufficient data to back up the conclusions. This is not limited to this game or any particular game because its a problem across the board. People are quick to say a game is shit (Jump Force comes to mind but my opinion is worthless because I haven't played the game) without first hand experience and proclaim this ill informed opinion as some sort of objective truth.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Litchie

@Pedro: When it comes to reviews, I think it's important to cover all aspects of the game. Very few reviewers do that today, which is why I've basically stopped reading reviews. I get a much better picture of how a game is by looking it up myself.

So to answer your question, no. But a review isn't the same as an opinion. A review should have opinions, imo, but should also be factual.

I agree about most people being too quick to judge, though. Especially on forums where lots of people just want some attention by making provocative statements.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Pedro

@Litchie said:

@Pedro: When it comes to reviews, I think it's important to cover all aspects of the game. Very few reviewers do that today, which is why I've basically stopped reading reviews. I get a much better picture of how a game is by looking it up myself.

So to answer your question, no. But a review isn't the same as an opinion. A review should have opinions, imo, but should also be factual.

I agree about most people being too quick to judge, though. Especially on forums where lots of people just want some attention by making provocative statements.

But reviews are opinions. We may want it not to be but it is. :( I would like for a relatively standardized or agreed upon method for reviewing a games. One that doesn't necessarily states whether the game is good or bad but gives the reader enough objective information to which they can make a better inform decision.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By dreman999

@Ross_the_Boss6: the story is not compelling ...they just have fantastic characters.

And they don't stop the game to show them.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@dreman999:

Disagree. They didn’t need to stop the game to show the characters.

Anyways you’re missing the greater point. Borderlands was a complete game at launch. It’s been done before, so there’s no excuse not to.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@zaryia:

The sad thing is Borderlands already exists. Gearbox already proved you can release a complete game in this genre with a compelling story to boot. They even added meaningful DLC after launch. It just doesn’t do the ‘shared world’ thing.

Unfortunately publishers have figured out people will buy early access games so long as you call it ‘live service.’

Yup. The Genre isn't bad. It's that for some reason most developers who make a game in this genre release a quite literally unfinished product.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#116 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

Another game I'm happy I didn't buy, the other was Crackdown 3. Hopefully Trials Rising is going to be fantastic? I pre-ordered TR quite a while ago, sadly I didn't have a chance to to play the demo.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

6.5 / 10 @ IGN

This game just sucks man

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#118 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
Just Kidding
Just Kidding

Yup.

Honestly, who didn't see this coming?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Zaryia

Bioware is on it's last leg, and to that I say:

Loading Video...

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Wow, so Travis Strikes Again - 6/10, Far Cry New Dawn - 6/10, God Eater 3 - 6/10, Crackdown 3 - 5/10 and now Anthem is a 6/10.

We're off to a bit of a shaky start this year, with a few exceptions such as RE 2, Metro Exodus, Tetris 99, Eastshade and the Civ 6 DLC. Oh and Apex Legends of course.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

I wouldn't believe or trust GS reviews if my life depended on it. They would give a turd a good score if it was a Sony exclusive. These hacks can't review a game if their lives depended on it either.

Yet, at the very height of the PS4 Love Parade, they dick-kicked The Order.... Kinda disproves your conspiracy.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

Ok maybe I got carried away with what I said. It's been a bad week for games I have been waiting to play for years. Anyway reviewers Opinions are just that opinions. I make up my own mind with games I want to play or not.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#124 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Tetris 99 > Anthem

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 avenger85
Member since 2015 • 304 Posts

It’s sad seeing so many of my favorite developers just falling into mediocrity or worse.... blizzard, knomia, BioWare.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 dreman999

@Ross_the_Boss6: 1. What are You talking about. I did say borderlands did not have to stop the games to do character development. I'm saying bioware did that.

2. Who said I though anthem was a better game then borderlands?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

Seems like EA games these days try to go for that 'jack of all trades, master of none'

It was the case with Battlefield V: it included singleplayer, coop, and it will soon be a battle royale game. It offers up a lot of variety, but the core of the game is still and will always be multiplayer.

And now with Anthem: You can play solo, coop with friends or team up with strangers. But it doesn't excell in any aspect.

Compare it to say Apex Legens, which only does Battle Royale, and which only does 3v3 and excells at it.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

Well, this game is already discounted in Germany.

https://www.mydealz.de/deals/anthem-ps4-media-markt-koln-kalk-1339313

Just wanted to say, GREAT job to everyone involved.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

Another low for Bioware.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#130 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

@Pedro: If that 3 minutes is true that is slower than my Neo Geo CD loading Last Blade 2....lol. Granted LB is a much simpler game. Regardless EA/Bioware can go suk a muffler.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

It's doing as bad as Crackdown 3 on metacritic. Wow.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

@Phreek300: played on PS4 pro last night and I was timeing the load screens. No load screen lasted a minute and load screens going from fort tarsis to the forge were around 10 seconds. I also should note that now when you finish a mission you can go straight to the forge which is an issue some had cause it meant extra load screens.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

@Zidaneski: I wasn't saying that all screen where 3 minutes. Pfft, if anything it sounds just like Destinys load waits. Not that surprising. All these looter shooters are like this. Anthem is just the next one up.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

How is this getting a 6 when Destiny 2 got a 8? The gameplay is far better... the exploration is better... the missions and enemy variety is better...

Everything that makes a game a game is BETTER.

Destiny 2 had twice the ammount of years and a previous game and STILL RECYCLED 90% OF ITS ENEMIES AND CONTENT FROM THE FIRST ONE... and got an 8.

Industry is just on a hate train at the moment.

Anthem ain't great, but scoring less than Destiny makes me wonder just how short people's attention spans and critical thinking actually are.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#135  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

To be fair, it currently sits at about 60 on Metacritic right now. A 6 on Gamespot is "Fair." A 6 on IGN is "Okay." Three stars on Screenrant is "Good." In other words, according to most of the reviewers the game is not horri-bad and the worst thing ever; just mediocre. Digging deeper, they all say it has potential, and the core gameplay is good - it just has a myriad of issues with story, pacing, volume of content, length and frequency of loading screens, etc. Mostly very legitimate concerns, but I'm not really here to talk about that.

Here's the thing, reading through these reviews, a thought began to coalesce in my mind. A large portion of these issues seem to have one epicentre: Fort Tarsis and its attached areas. So, Anthem players, humour me on this:

What if you remove Fort Tarsis?

Transfer as much of the core functions of the game into the open world as possible; quest and mission initiation, loot inspection and gear swapping, even story-related dialogues and cutscenes. Make it so you almost never have to go there through the entire game, and strip down its footprint on the game to the barest minimum. Fort Tarsis can then be something you can explore on your own time, or even a new social hub. How do you think that would affect the game?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

To be fair, it currently sits at about 60 on Metacritic right now. A 6 on Gamespot is "Fair." A 6 on IGN is "Okay." Three stars on Screenrant is "Good." In other words, according to most of the reviewers the game is not horri-bad and the worst thing ever; just mediocre. Digging deeper, they all say it has potential, and the core gameplay is good - it just has a myriad of issues with story, pacing, volume of content, length and frequency of loading screens, etc. Mostly very legitimate concerns, but I'm not really here to talk about that.

Here's the thing, reading through these reviews, a thought began to coalesce in my mind. A large portion of these issues seem to have one epicentre: Fort Tarsis and its attached areas. So, Anthem players, humour me on this:

What if you remove Fort Tarsis?

Transfer as much of the core functions of the game into the open world as possible; quest and mission initiation, loot inspection and gear swapping, even story-related dialogues and cutscenes. Make it so you almost never have to go there through the entire game, and strip down its footprint on the game to the barest minimum. Fort Tarsis can then be something you can explore on your own time, or even a new social hub. How do you think that would affect the game?

I been playing Anthem for weeks, I can answer that question. Depending on the player, it's a hit or a miss but to me, it's a joke but not much of a deal breaker however. Dead ends with nothing in them, NPC's that just sit around with canned animations, no dialog, and somehow keep moving their heads the exact same way over and over and over as if they were animatronics at Disneyland. People wandering around just so you have a "living world" feel despite that they just wander from point A to point B and do nothing, no talking, no sitting, no approaching a vendor just walking so that you can say "Look, the fort is a living breathing world with people who move around causing you to have to maneuver around them!

Fort Tarsis is less impressive then the Farm in Destiny 2 and that is just the noob hub. Also, it's about 1/5th as good looking or interesting as the E3 trailer that made it look like a true next gen hub. LMAO but this is not Ubisoft, so they get a pass for downgrading in a laughable way for me. Yeah, I know this is overly negative, but I am just being honest.

From the way Fort Tarsis looks, I think Bioware goal was to have a good story to tell but ran out of time it seems and removing it wouldn't be a lost at all. Just have a "Mini base" in the open-world map just for the players to gear up is what Anthem should have done.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 madrocketeer

@davillain-:

Cheers mate. Very illuminating. And that "mini-base" in the open world is exactly what I had in mind as well.

Hmm. Worth exploring further. Sometimes, I wish I have a social media account...

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Zidaneski

A mini base in an open world? Wouldn’t you still need to load and teleport to it whenever you wanted to go there? I don’t have a problem with Fort Tarsis so far. The only inconvenience is not being to change loot outside of there. As far as how lively it is i can understand being underwhelmed by it not feeling like a town but the characters are leaving an impression on me and they feel more fleshed out than many other characters in shoot n loot games except for probably borderlands 2.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

It look like time is put to the flying. I watch some of a review. Not so many new game make attention grabber but this game it look to play very different.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 DaVillain  Moderator

Here's Angry Joe reviewing Anthem if anyone cares about his work. It's 50 minutes long but I'll just highlight the actual details Pros/Cons below the video,

Loading Video...
  • Loading screen time takes forever.
  • The strongest points in the game is Flying, gameplay combat, & Chain-combos using elements is the most fun thing in Anthem.
  • The graphics are stunning.
  • Bioware did one thing right and not Bungie is having a story to tell in a loot shooter despite it's generic.
  • The NPC are just lazy and undeveloped but at least they look better then Mass Effect: Andromeda.
  • The loot itself is crap, not enough variety of weapons, abilities, & the Guns aren't that unique.
  • Customization is limited.
  • The big Boss aka The Monitor is less interesting then Destiny 2's boss.
  • Watch E3 2017 trailer vs now never came to be. (I think we all saw this coming from a mile away and Bioware pulled a "No Man's Sky" here)
  • 6 years of development wasted and Bioware didn't take notes from other loot shooters that has came before, looking at you Borderlands.
  • The endgame is disappointing.
  • The puzzles in the missions are BS & Crafting items is also BS.
  • Anthem has no PvP and Destiny has it which was Destiny's strongest points in that game.
  • AJ gives Anthem a 4/10! Ouch!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By madrocketeer

@Zidaneski:

Presumably, it would at least load faster, as at least some the game world assets would already be on the memory, instead of having to clear them and replace with Fort Tarsis assets. Also, it should eliminate that Fort Tarsis -> open world transition completely, and having as many essential functions as possible in a small place would cut the lull and keep things moving faster.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

Can't say I am surprised. BioWare hasnt been great for a long time. Cant say I have really liked them since Hordes of the Underdark.

@bussinrounds said:

This shit always looked like absolute bilge.

Time to put Bioware out of their misery already.

Considering how good many ex-BioWare devs are. That sounds actually amazing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#143 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

I am yet to experience long load times. Are people not running the game on SSD? Slow processor?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#144 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

This is literally what i already knew based on Bioware's recent history, and after i watched a number of reviews, streamers on the internet i can personally confirm that whatever talent Bioware as a company had is long gone.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#145  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Wow it amazes me how people are so into game reviews these days. I'm about 30 hours into this game and loving it, that's all that matters to me. I glanced at a few reviews quickly and there were a ton of things that I simply didn't agree with, so I just stopped reading them(for this game I mean)

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Zidaneski

@Alucard_Prime: I can’t blame people for relying on reviews. I remember growing up and and just automatically being interested if a game got high scores, and not even checking out games with low scores. Angry joe seems to hit more things that I agree with with the exception of loading times and there being lazy NPCs. How that equals a 4/10 I have no idea but I guess people love to focus on the bad things more than the good. So far every hour I’ve played has been amazing and it’s mainly because there is such a huge world to explore and the gameplay is really fantastic. I don’t see how this game is seen as worse than division or destiny.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#147 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@Zidaneski: yeah it's cool how people use reviews, I sometimes read them too and they can be a helpful tool....but if there is a game I want for various reasons I will still get it and enjoy it....to each his own I guess I just don't use them(or focus on them) to the same extent as I see some others do.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Just got done playing for an hour with my bro and his buddy... Gotta admit, it's way more fun with friends.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Zaryia

The game should be $30 not $60.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 DaVillain  Moderator

Here's a good video comparison between E3 2017 in-game trailer vs retail release game:

Loading Video...

It's obviously took a huge downgrade but even I can admit the visuals are still great and the gameplay is still alot of fun. Bioware just ran out of time for not taking enough time with Anthem it seems.