Another underappreciated games thread

#1 Posted by getyeryayasout (12266 posts) -

I'm playing Ratchet and Clank on PS4 and having a fine time with it. It's got lots of charm and humor, gameplay is solid, and it's lowkey the best looking game available on the PS4. It got me to thinkin', it just doesn't seem to get brought up much when talking about exclusives or just games in general, which is why you find yourself reading this post right now.

Besides, I always like these kinds of threads. I find them to be informative and with so many games coming out these days, it's easy to let some slip through the cracks.

So how about it, Folks? What game or games have tickled your fancy, but seemingly only your fancy? Gimme the goods. :)

#2 Posted by jg4xchamp (61559 posts) -

Devil May Cry 5, it's greatness is wasted on you imperfects.

Additionally PS4 ratchet n clank actively ruins the tone, characters, n narrative of the original games. And actively takes out so much shit from that first game. Watered down as ****.

#3 Posted by getyeryayasout (12266 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: haha, Nice to see you again.

#4 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20506 posts) -

I'd say the Yakuza franchise, but it's gotten much more popular over the last two years. I will give a shout out to Ishin though, since it hasn't been brought over to the west, and I consider it my second favorite game in the series.

Other than that, Azure Striker Gunvolt and Freedom Planet are my two favorite underrated series. Gunvolt is basically a Mega Man Zero/ZX like experience, and was even made by Inti Creates, and Freedom Planet is essentially Sonic X Gunstar Heroes X Rocket Knight X Mega Man and if it was made for the Saturn. I'm excited for the next entries in both, especially Freedom Planet 2, since Christian Whitehead, a.k.a Sonic Mania's lead developer, is helping a little with the project.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (27591 posts) -

God Hand. It was a hilariously awesome beat ‘em up developed by Clover for the PS2.

#6 Posted by TheEroica (18388 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: champ loves DMC5 so much he's willing to come back to system wars to talk about it...

#7 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (7103 posts) -

@getyeryayasout: R&C is probably too gamey for Sony fans...

As for me, I'd say Sunset Overdrive or Astrobot. The game has as much as charm as any Nintendo game, and was a blast from start to finish. Got good reviews but since its VR it'll probably never get the appreciation it deserves.

Never see anybody mention this game but it's fantastic, Hard Corps Uprising - imagine Contra made my platinum games.

#8 Posted by DaVillain- (36073 posts) -

Knack 2 obviously and I happened to like that game for what it is.

#9 Posted by cainetao11 (36500 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: great to see a post from you bro.

Sunset Overdrive. Uber cow Heil68 even called it GOTY 2014. The combat in constant motion was great fun gameplay to me. Never got bored of it and still fire it up from time to time. Also Alienation. Maybe the best twin stick shooter I ever played. And Guns, gore and cannoli. Charming shoot em up side scroller that I loved.

#10 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36068 posts) -

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy - Now that it's on PC and Switch with it's fatal bug patched (all we need is an XBONE and PS4 port), no reason to miss it now like y'all did when it first released.

#11 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

Ratchet & Clank is definitely not an underappreciated gem, its just not talked as much in forums. I mean game is insomiac most succesful game ever prior to Spidey.

#12 Posted by me2002 (2117 posts) -

Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are criminally overlooked, scores are good though

I can see how the gameplay won't click with everyone but once you get it it's really good

They are both on PS4 both 80 metascore both really cheap now, for those interested check it out

#13 Posted by robert_sparkes (2937 posts) -

Ryse was underrated in my opinion. Short but fun with still great graphics.

#14 Edited by Litchie (23718 posts) -

Maybe Hollow Knight. Game is praised by people who've played it, but it came in a time when people decided to make metroidvanias in droves. So it feels like most people were like "meh, another one". But this one is the bees knees, man. Best metroidvania since fucking Super Metroid.

Also, Dead Nation on PS3. Best twin stick shooter I've ever played. Best PS3 game. I regret not having played Alienation.

#15 Posted by AnthonyAutumns (1679 posts) -
@TheEroica said:

@jg4xchamp: champ loves DMC5 so much he's willing to come back to system wars to talk about it...

#16 Posted by Jag85 (13364 posts) -

From the last three generations:

• Shadow of Memories
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Super Monkey Ball
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Clannad
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
  • OutRun 2 SP SDX
  • Steins Gate
  • Vanquish

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
#17 Edited by deactivated-5cd08b1605da1 (9317 posts) -

Puppeteer

Tearaway

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Dishonored 2

Nioh

Watch Dogs 2

Hitman Absolution

The Order 1886

All games I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Some are imo "undeservedly" trashed to heavens (The Order 1886, Hitman Absolution), others are looked aside and rarely talked about (Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, Nioh, Watch Dogs 2) and some are never ever mentioned anywhere despite being some of the most unique and entertaining games I've played in my entire life (Tearaway, Puppeteer). Puppeteer is still one of the most underapreciated games of all time imo

#18 Edited by PAL360 (29554 posts) -

Indies in general. Some of the best games i have ever played are current gen indie games.

#19 Posted by warmblur (2165 posts) -
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Silent Hill Shattered Memories
  • Remember me
  • Mirror's Edge both games
  • Spec Ops The Line
  • Mad Max 2015
  • LA Noire
#20 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

There's quite alot... I don't know.. just the burnout franchise in general IMO.

#21 Edited by Yams1980 (3435 posts) -

No Mans Sky & The Sims 4.

I think NMS and TS4 both got off to a really bad start, but through updates have become good over time. Especially NMS since all the updates were completely free. Base building is great, but still a bit buggy trying to build an underground base with dirt filling in if its not built a certain way. There's just so much to do now when you can build anywhere you want.

I was thinking also Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy. I wish they had stuck with that instead of going back "old school" look. I thought the large multi level indoor and outdoor areas in those games was more fun and nice to look at instead of a dark dungeon all the time in the recent WB Gauntlet remake.

#22 Posted by xantufrog (11176 posts) -

@Yams1980: yes Dark Legacy and Legends were so fun back in the day

#23 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18704 posts) -

Most recently, Just Cause 4. Currently playing through Xbox Game Pass, and I really like it. It's very satisfying.

I think it's underrated and underappreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
#24 Posted by deactivated-5cab66ac558b0 (78 posts) -

Deus ex mankind divided and Mirror's edge catalyst are some of the best game I play this gen yet it seems nobody care about those games.

#25 Posted by I_P_Daily (11438 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Most recently, Just Cause 4. Currently playing through Xbox Game Pass, and I really like it. It's very satisfying.

I think it's underrated and underappreciated.

Yeah but critics are idiots and can't enjoy games for what they are.

I really enjoyed JC4, but am waiting for Avalanche to patch the cheevos in the game as they are glitchy, that and hopefully the DLC has plenty of content.

I would add both Max: Curse of Brotherhood & Child of Light to the underappreciated list.

#26 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14922 posts) -

Freelancer. Open world space combat game. Not available for purchase. But you can download it for free if you google it. Fans uploaded it again.

No one lives forever series. Same as above except this is First Person Spy Shooter.

#27 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9597 posts) -

The original Sniper Elite was very underappriciated as its best in series that is overshadow by mediocre sequels.

#28 Edited by Vaidream45 (1850 posts) -

The Messenger

Freelancer

Starlancer

Kathy Rain

Wing Commander 4

Tie Fighter

A Night in the Woods

Just a few off the top of my head

#29 Posted by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

Genuinely baffled as to how this got a 6 on Gamepot.

Loading Video...

#30 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3758 posts) -

Use to be Shenmue and Yakuza but both are getting popular now so I say the Tecmo Deception series.

#31 Edited by DonaId (96 posts) -

Digimon world and Bomberman 64

Oh and Gauntlet Dark Legacy (kudos to the person who mentioned it)

#32 Posted by N64DD (11685 posts) -

100 percent War Groove.

#33 Edited by Raining51 (804 posts) -

@me2002 said:

Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are criminally overlooked, scores are good though

I can see how the gameplay won't click with everyone but once you get it it's really good

They are both on PS4 both 80 metascore both really cheap now, for those interested check it out

I've gotten some into Gravity Rush 2 I can see the potential but I ahven't finished the game yet.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
#34 Posted by SuperfluousReal (247 posts) -

Dino Crisis.

Alien Colonial Marines.

#35 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6682 posts) -

Prince of Persia Warrior Within. Undeservingly gets hated by everyone. And it is one of my most played games ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
#36 Posted by deactivated-5cab66ac558b0 (78 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury: never heard of those games before, they look pretty cool, I'll definitely be on look out for getting freedom planet

#37 Posted by sonicare (56652 posts) -

Pretty much any game but nintendo games.

#38 Posted by MarkoftheSivak (253 posts) -

I have quite a few underappreciated ones.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves: It was released on Neo Geo and Dreamcast....so it didnt have the biggest audience. But for my money when it comes to the actual fighting, no other game does it better. It's combat system is almost addicting.

Demon's Crest: I guess you could call it Gargoyle's Quest 3 (which is something they should have done in hindsight), my favorite platformer amid the sea of greatness on the SNES.

ActRaiser: You either know or you don't.

TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist - This games biggest problem is that it came out around the same time as the superior Turtles in Time which is sublime. But if more people had played it, they would have realized it's the second best of the beat-em-ups. It was great and really showed what the Genesis could do.

Lunar (1&2): Just a great jrg duet, make certain to get the PS1 remakes! (Though apparently Lunar:Eternal Blue on the Sega CD is the greatest 16-bit game, if it counts?)

Phantasy Star: Anyone who has played through cannot legitimately argue that it's not the greatest 8-bit Rpg of them all, (i would argue only DQ 3 and 4 can compete)

#39 Posted by dracula_16 (14865 posts) -

Psychonauts. It's a platforming game that has a lot of humor in it. It's sales were awful, unfortunately.

#40 Posted by DonaId (96 posts) -

@dracula_16:

I bought it used a while back for ps2 but never beat it. Then I bought it on Xbox 360 for 9$ never beat it.

Recently got it for 99 cents on ps4 lol

#41 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15954 posts) -

Dwarf Fortress. Too deep for most gamers and not enough eye candy for most of the remaining. But man, there's not a single game in the world that's as deep.

#42 Posted by jg4xchamp (61559 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

God Hand. It was a hilariously awesome beat ‘em up developed by Clover for the PS2.

Yeah this would be my honest answer. Cult darling it may be, but it belongs in a conversation with Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden as the top of the fucking genre. It easily has a better neutral game than all 3 of them, to make up for the combo game being a bit behind. Funny how that clunky camera, and point of view combat is in a GOTY all these years later with God of War. Naturally not their intended influence, but it's unmistakable on how many similar concepts Santa Monica landed on, that God Hand figured out already in 06, and frankly did better. Starting with the camera.

#43 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8530 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Thank you for bringing this game up.

#44 Posted by getyeryayasout (12266 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Thank you for bringing this game up.

Indeed.

I still play it on my PS3 and it's a shame that video games have quit being so over the top and just amazing.

Coincidentally, this just came through my YouTube feed.

Loading Video...

#45 Posted by R10nu (1501 posts) -

It's interesting how pixel art indie platformers are hot shit right now, while one of the genre's best never gets mentioned.

Loading Video...

Also this game is a textbook definition of underrated:

Loading Video...

#46 Posted by dalger21 (2147 posts) -

3d Dot Game Heroes on PS3.