Another nail in the Diablo coffin - Lost Ark coming to the west!

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

The PC MMOARPG Lost Ark which got revealed as far back as 2013 is now finally coming to the West as the devs are in the final stages of releasing the Korean Version which is currently in Open Beta. It seems the Western release is happening sooner since China is currently not a current priority due to foreign games licensing ban in China. The publishers of Lost Ark are also the developers of the massively successful first person shooter known as Crossfire so where China makes the overwhelming majority of it's money so naturally they would go there but the game ban has worked in our favor. The devs are targeting North America and Europe in their next launch phase so good news for us.

I consider Lost Ark a Diablo killer because the game makes Diablo 3 and every other ARPG look like shit in comparison. Lost Ark will also be a big budget cinematic and story driven MMOARPG so it's production values will easily appeal to a ton of gamers. Brian Tyler who is composing the soundtrack for Lost Ark is has also done soundtracks to MCU movies.

I wonder how long it's gonna take for them to do a English localization since there is a ton of content and cinematics so they will have to invest in decent voice actors. I've been following the game for years but never played it due to the high amounts of ping I'd get from trying to play on the other side of the world. From what I've seen every Western gamer that has played Lost Ark has loved it and says it doesn't fit the typical grindy P2W Korean MMO box.

Original Korean article

summarized by MMOs.com

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

never heard of it

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

How p2win are we talking about with this one?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

Literally what Diablo 3 should have been! Still, I have no expectation of seeing an actual official and localized release of this game in this lifetime, along with Lineage Eternal :(

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

WHy are people so happy about diablo 3 on the switch D3 sucked man its just not as good as D2

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#6 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

LMAO sure. This isn't killing Diablo. Another ARPG is always welcome but spare me with the "killer" moniker bullshit

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Really good news, its probably the most anticipated game right now for diablo fans.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NoodleFighter

@howmakewood said:

How p2win are we talking about with this one?

As far as I know there isn't really anything P2W in Lost Ark currently. The closest would be that Avatars/skins give 1% stat boost on strength, agility or intelligence but they can also be crafted by players. So it's monetization is more like WarFrame where you pay for convenience (get items sooner) than pay to win. I wonder what monetization method they'll use for the West. If they go the Black Desert Online route and make it buy to play with different tiers then I'd think that would be a good way for them to make money without going full money grubbing on us. This game did cost $100 million to make so naturally they will be looking on how to make a return in profit as soon as possible but the game appears to be a huge hit with over 350,000 concurrent players in the open beta so hopefully they won't try as hard to milk.

@davillain- said:

Literally what Diablo 3 should have been! Still, I have no expectation of seeing an actual official and localized release of this game in this lifetime, along with Lineage Eternal :(

I know that feel man, I would purposely forget that this game existed at times just so I don't get tormented by the wait. Hopefully we get a Western beta next year. Lineage Eternal is gonna take even longer since the original Lineage Eternal we saw got canned and Project TL is what is taking it's place and since they've moved to a new engine and team it's gonna be even longer before it's playable anywhere. Project TL didn't make an appearance at GSTAR this year so that's another worry. It doesn't help that shady stuff has been going on with NCsoft in recent years.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

@NoodleFighter: Black Desert went more p2w later on... you could craft items without chance of breaking if you paid

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

This is most welcome news! Diablo 3 was a good game, but they definitely should have styled it a bit more like D2. This game seems to hit all the right notes and I'm going to give it a go :)

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8461 Posts

LMAO, Korean MMO.

@NoodleFighter said:

As far as I know there isn't really anything P2W in Lost Ark currently. The closest would be that Avatars/skins give 1% stat boost on strength, agility or intelligence but they can also be crafted by players. So it's monetization is more like WarFrame where you pay for convenience (get items sooner) than pay to win. I wonder what monetization method they'll use for the West. If they go the Black Desert Online route and make it buy to play with different tiers then I'd think that would be a good way for them to make money without going full money grubbing on us. This game did cost $100 million to make so naturally they will be looking on how to make a return in profit as soon as possible but the game appears to be a huge hit with over 350,000 concurrent players in the open beta so hopefully they won't try as hard to milk.

Totally false, it's a certified, scientifically proven fact that all PC games are cheap indie games made by neckbeards in their basement.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NoodleFighter

@howmakewood: Dang I forgot about that. We'll just have to see with Lost Ark when the games leaves open beta in Korea and when it does come to the West. If a different publisher does bring the game to the West hopefully it isn't a company like Trion World.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Nobody cares about Lost Ark dude

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

dang. a real shame its an MMO. it looks ace. i would be happy to pay full whack for an SP version of such a game.

but an mmo with microtransactions....*sigh*. thats a shame.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5552 Posts

I bet this cant even crack the sales D3 gets on switch alone this year.... diablo killer pffff

I'm honestly surprised how good of a port that game was.... and i realize arpg games feel great on a portable platform

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

In terms of market share, it is behind LoL and PUBG. And thats one country only lol

@general_solo76 said:

Nobody cares about Lost Ark dude

Speak for yourself dude

xekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xekon
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

I am looking forward to Lost Ark, Diablo 3 vs Diablo 2 is a difficult debate. I grew up playing Diablo 2 for over 10 years! So naturally I was hyped when Diablo 3 came out. I actually do play Diablo 3, but it does not keep my attention quite like Diablo 2 did. So far I have been playing Seasonal, and I will play a season or two, then take 2-3 seasons off before I return to Diablo 3, usually around the time when they add something or do balance changes. A lot of what they have done with Diablo 3 is great.... there is just something missing, not having trading is probably part of it. I used to save useful stuff for my friends. Also it was fun to be able to play with 8 people in a game. I think the graphics of Diablo 3 on spell effect are a tad too flashy, they can be elegant without being so flashy. I think with 8 players in a game with the current spell effects I would die of a seizure from all the flashing lights, I don't really remembering it being that big of a problem in Diablo 2. Also I hope that they one day do a remaster of Diablo 2, would be a while because they are currently working on the Warcraft 3 remaster (which I am very much looking forward to)

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NoodleFighter

@enzyme36: @vaeh: The game currently has over 350,000 concurrent players in Korea. I think it's going to do pretty well.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Hate to tell you but D3 sells.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts
@NoodleFighter said:

@enzyme36: @vaeh: The game currently has over 350,000 concurrent players in Korea. I think it's going to do pretty well.

350kCCU is pretty impressive overall. Imagine if it had global release right now, the timing with the diablo shitshow...

OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

@vaeh said:
@NoodleFighter said:

350kCCU is pretty impressive overall. Imagine if it had global release right now, the timing with the diablo shitshow...

China alone will be more than enough. I mean Smilgate's CrossFire has over 500 million players from there.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, ok good for people who like Asian games

But sorry this is not going to "beat" Diablo, Diablo is Diablo and Blizzard is still the master of that genre.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Eh, looks like another cheap Diablo III knockoff. I'll stick with the real thing.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

But sorry this is not going to "beat" Diablo, Diablo is Diablo and Blizzard is still the master of that genre.

Ehh....Path of Exile is quite a bit better lol.

@dzimm said:

Eh, looks like another cheap Diablo III knockoff. I'll stick with the real thing.

The real thing is PoE.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

People downplaying lost ark because it's not a sony movie game or heavily marketed or not on there console.

Pathetic.

It's the most anticipated game for diablo/path of exile/black desert online fans by a mile already for years. Can't wait.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14835 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

WRONG

In fact Path of Exile may have more current players.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

lol what?

Path of Exile is hands down a far better Diablo game than Diablo.

Diablo III was surpassed before it even came out.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NoodleFighter

@dzimm said:

Are you looking at the same game as me? It's the other way around man Lost Ark makes Diablo III look like a cheap knock off.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dzimm

@NoodleFighter said:
@dzimm said:

Are you looking at the same game as me?

Yes.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dzimm

@texasgoldrush said:

Unlikely. Diablo III is available on five major gaming platforms and likely has far more players at any given time than Path of Exile -- or as I like to refer to it PoS. They're just not all consolidated onto one server, which is fine because Diablo is essentially a single player experience.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 texasgoldrush

@dzimm said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Unlikely. Diablo III is available on five major gaming platforms and likely has far more players at any given time than Path of Exile -- or as I like to refer to it PoS. They're just not all consolidated onto one server, which is fine because Diablo is essentially a single player experience.

No, Diablo III has bled off players left and right due to lack of updates while players come back to POE after every update, which they will get in December.

Also, POE is about to pick up PS4 players.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dzimm

@texasgoldrush said:

Now they just need to pick up XB360, PS3, XBONE, and Switch to be able to compete with Diablo III. ;-)

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 texasgoldrush

@dzimm said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Now they just need to pick up XB360, PS3, XBONE, and Switch to be able to compete with Diablo III. ;-)

They have Xbox One.....next, POE has been updated, D3 hasn't. Its very possible for POE to have more current players right now, and they will pick more up for Betrayal and PS4 release.

D3 will see a spike of Switch users than fade, thats it.