another Epic Valve trailer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnF6Dr8BhKA&feature=player_embedded

lets see how many people are actually smart enough to understand.

[spoiler] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8 [/spoiler]

Anjunaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Anjunaddict
Member since 2010 • 4178 Posts
So this is what Valve is doing instead of Episode 3
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Most people who haven't played Half Life 2 yet will be pretty disappointed if they play it today. It's too old, and Valve need to stop trying to get it on every platform in existence and work on episode 3 already.
mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts
this is probably what alyx did in city 17 before you meet her
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

6 Years too late i think.

I'm sure anyone who owned a Mac and wanted to play HL2 either used bootcamp and Windows or played the console version a long time ago.

Whats important now is they make sure their games are released on Mac/PC at the same time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Most people who haven't played Half Life 2 yet will be pretty disappointed if they play it today. It's too old, and Valve need to stop trying to get it on every platform in existence and work on episode 3 already. Ninja-Hippo
I played it for the first time about a year ago, and I can safely say you're dead wrong. :P It impressed me more than any game had for a long time.
AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

What a waste of their time. How about they release a Half Life 3 or Episode 3 already ? Anyone who wanted to actually player this game has probably already through either a console or bootcamp. Valve needs to get their priorities in order.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Most people who haven't played Half Life 2 yet will be pretty disappointed if they play it today. It's too old, and Valve need to stop trying to get it on every platform in existence and work on episode 3 already. Ninja-Hippo

While the gameplay is a little on the archaic side (even by 2004 standards), everything else still holds up quite well. Certainly better than 95% of the games coming out nowadays.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Most people who haven't played Half Life 2 yet will be pretty disappointed if they play it today. It's too old, and Valve need to stop trying to get it on every platform in existence and work on episode 3 already. PBSnipes

While the gameplay is a little on the archaic side (even by 2004 standards), everything else still holds up quite well. Certainly better than 95% of the games coming out nowadays.

Archaic because it doesn't have recharging health or aiming down iron sights?
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Most people who haven't played Half Life 2 yet will be pretty disappointed if they play it today. It's too old, and Valve need to stop trying to get it on every platform in existence and work on episode 3 already. Guppy507
I played it for the first time about a year ago, and I can safely say you're dead wrong. :P It impressed me more than any game had for a long time.

I dunno, it's easily one of my favorite games of all time but i think it'd dated by today's standards. I took it for a whirl again when i got Orange Box for the 360 and i had to stop playing about half way through because it was ruining my memories of playing it at release on the PC. The graphics were pretty poor, the controls were clunky, the shooting robotic. I think it's just too late to be porting this game to other platforms and expecting it to compete with modern releases. It's six years old, after all.
Avatar image for nofriekinlemons
nofriekinlemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nofriekinlemons
Member since 2008 • 1392 Posts

hahahahahahaaaaa

that was awsome

epic vid indeed:lol:

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Archaic because it doesn't have recharging health or aiming down iron sights?Guppy507

To a degree (back-tracking for health-packs has always sucked, as has keeping multiple saves because you weren't sure whether X% health would be enough to get to the next health-pack; and iron-sights is more immersive than the old "zoom the screen in on your reticule), but more so because it by-and-large feels like a 90's-era corridor crawler.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
Its not old at all. It holds up pretty well compared to todays shooters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

[QUOTE="Guppy507"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Most people who haven't played Half Life 2 yet will be pretty disappointed if they play it today. It's too old, and Valve need to stop trying to get it on every platform in existence and work on episode 3 already. Ninja-Hippo

I dunno, it's easily one of my favorite games of all time but i think it'd dated by today's standards. I took it for a whirl again when i got Orange Box for the 360 and i had to stop playing about half way through because it was ruining my memories of playing it at release on the PC. The graphics were pretty poor, the controls were clunky, the shooting robotic. I think it's just too late to be porting this game to other platforms and expecting it to compete with modern releases. It's six years old, after all.

I think the graphics hold up surprisingly well by today's standards, especially when you go back and play other games from the same year, but I can see where you're coming from.

As for the controls, that may because you were playing a console port of a PC game.

I agree, the shooting is pretty robotic, and the A.I. isn't great. Every firefight plays out the exact same way every time you play it.

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts
It is just a copy off of a Pepsi ad but still looks cool.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

They seriously need to work on Ep 3... Valve, do it, right now :evil:

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cobrax25

It is just a copy off of a Pepsi ad but still looks cool.SilentlyMad

/fail

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ninja-Hippo

They seriously need to work on Ep 3... Valve, do it, right now :evil:

lundy86_4
Exactly. Valve have missed the point of episodic content entirely.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Not quite.
Avatar image for RichardStallman
RichardStallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RichardStallman
Member since 2009 • 1233 Posts
A trailer for a 6 year old game that wasn't anything special? lol valve
KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KittenWishes
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts
I was expecting to see Portal 2. I am disappointed!
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

lol....

Anyway you don't get to call it epic when it's a trailer for a 6 year old game that just copies an old MAC ad.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 General_X
a 6 year old game that wasn't anything special?RichardStallman
Wrong, enough said.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I hope when Valve was in the process of making that trailer, they reminded themselves to get working on Episode 3. Seriously Valve, it ain't funny no more.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

meh commercialremaking an oldmeh commercial copying of of a not so meh book.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

I thoguht it was portal 2 :?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 General_X
As clever as that trailer was, this fanmade one happens to be my favorite HL2 trailer of all time.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Wow that's quite an epic Mac commercial for it being in the 80's lol. They should do stuff like that instead of just bashing the PC and window's 7 all the time.
SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SilentlyMad

[QUOTE="SilentlyMad"]It is just a copy off of a Pepsi ad but still looks cool.cobrax25

/fail

OMG I said the wrong product OMG how could I have done such a thing. Whatever bud I guess you watch more TV then me to remember the commercials so well. Anyways like I said it is a cool ad but all I said was it cool but just a copy from another ad.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

[QUOTE="cobrax25"]

[QUOTE="SilentlyMad"]It is just a copy off of a Pepsi ad but still looks cool.SilentlyMad

/fail

OMG I said the wrong product OMG how could I have done such a thing. Whatever bud I guess you watch more TV then me to remember the commercials so well. Anyways like I said it is a cool ad but all I said was it cool but just a copy from another ad.

I'm quite sure this and the pepsi commercial you're talking about both got their ideas from 1984.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

I think by the time they get to Episode 3 they'll have so many people waiting for it that the whole PC side of the internet will explode upon announcement/trailer. I'm curious if they are working on a new engine to release with it.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]Archaic because it doesn't have recharging health or aiming down iron sights?PBSnipes

To a degree (back-tracking for health-packs has always sucked, as has keeping multiple saves because you weren't sure whether X% health would be enough to get to the next health-pack; and iron-sights is more immersive than the old "zoom the screen in on your reticule), but more so because it by-and-large feels like a 90's-era corridor crawler.

If your level design is good you shouldn't need to backtrack for health.
SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SilentlyMad

[QUOTE="SilentlyMad"][QUOTE="cobrax25"]

/fail

PSdual_wielder

I'm quite sure this and the pepsi commercial you're talking about both got their ideas from 1984.

I was wrong about the Pepsi thing. You are right about the 1984 thing though. This Valve ad is a copy of the Apple ad though and Apple got the idea from 1984.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

A trailer for a 6 year old game that wasn't anything special? lol valveRichardStallman

A 6 year old game that has recently been awarded things like Game of the Decade by IGN (among other places), and PC Gamer's Reader's Choice Best PC Game of All Time

6 years after it releases, and it's still getting critical acclaim.

It's the highest rated PC exclusive, won numerous GOTY awards, and awards for best physics, animations, AI, etc.

Valve is smart to advertise it so long after it was released. I mean I can only really think of Nintendo as another dev that advertises their games years after they came out because they realize those games are still worth something, and are still good. Must be why Nintendo is the industry leader in software sales 25+ years running.

Valve using the same technique is genius.

AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

A trailer for a 6 year old game that wasn't anything special? lol valveRichardStallman

Half Life 2 holds a 96 on Metacritic, which leaves it as the highest rated PC game of all time.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

i REALLY!!!!!!!! do not like apple. Like.....i mean....REALLLY!!!!!!! DO NOT LIKE. if this was a facebook post i would like it so i can unlike it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

cobrax25

You say smart enough to understand, but knowing about an old commercial they released isn't smart... It's called pop culture.

Just because someone knows all these old commercials/music/movies from the 80's doesn't make them smart. :P

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
They obviously aren't dedicating the same resources to stuff like this, as they are to the inevitable Episode 3 or Half-Life 3. People just need to be patient, when it arrives it will be amazing. Also, no one would be disappointed with Half-Life 2. I still know people who have just picked it up and LOVE it.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cobrax25

[QUOTE="cobrax25"]

DragonfireXZ95

You say smart enough to understand, but knowing about an old commercial they released isn't smart... It's called pop culture.

Just because someone knows all these old commercials/music/movies from the 80's doesn't make them smart. :P

Its a very well known commercial...

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

Episode 3 for Mac confirmed!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Most people who haven't played Half Life 2 yet will be pretty disappointed if they play it today. It's too old, and Valve need to stop trying to get it on every platform in existence and work on episode 3 already. Guppy507

Archaic because it doesn't have recharging health or aiming down iron sights?

The gunplay is trash, vehicle sections were awful, and the AI honestly wasn't that good. Half Life 2 made up for its core because it had such good pacing and level design. Plus it doesn't hurt that they actually tell a video game story the way it should be told.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Most people who haven't played Half Life 2 yet will be pretty disappointed if they play it today. It's too old, and Valve need to stop trying to get it on every platform in existence and work on episode 3 already. PBSnipes

Agreed(such a sad moment). Game was so well done. All the other shooter devs keep screwing up on fundamentals and basics. It's kind of depressing.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]Archaic because it doesn't have recharging health or aiming down iron sights?skrat_01

and there are points in the level design where you honestly did have to backtrack for health(or at the least the shield charger battery thing).
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
Clever, very clever.
daddyboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 daddyboom
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts
I can't believe they used the old Apple 1984 commercial!
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

Clever valve, clever. :P

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

jg4xchamp

and there are points in the level design where you honestly did have to backtrack for health(or at the least the shield charger battery thing).

In HL2 its far and few in between; health packs are generally very well placed, enough not to break the flow of gameplay.

To be honestly health packs as far as testing a level designers prowess goes is interesting, as honestly I think recharging health has given enough slack for very sloppy work. Yeah I am looking at you Infinity Ward people.