Angry Joe reviews Killzone: Shadow Fall

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

raging_user

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By raging_user
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

No wonder some of the console kiddies are bored with this game

I'm also betting some of you felt you wasted your money on SF, or just still basking in the honeymoon phase of the game

Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Jipset
Member since 2008 • 2410 Posts

He's like the pewdiepie of youtube reviewers. Can be funny and insightful at times, but holy **** can he be obnoxious and unnecessarily over the top as well.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#53 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

@Jipset: I especially love his rants though. You have to check out his battlefield 4 rant. It is hilarious.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Watching this review has me confused as to how GS scored it so high.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Sounds like i had expected, Killzone is a sucky series...

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Joe is usually quite honest, but I think everyone is currently riding the next-gen-hate bandwagon.

Mere months ago, everyone gobbled this kind of shit up and begged for extras. Basically, if games like KZ:SF are B quality, this entire gen will disappoint.

I suspect jadedness will soon be replaced with the usual hype-train.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 foxhound_fox
@MlauTheDaft said:
Basically, if games like KZ:SF are B quality, this entire gen will disappoint.

Not until strong developers start making games. Launch titles are always rushed and "feel last-gen". For instance, the first true "next gen" experience on the 360 was Dead Rising. It "felt new" compared to the PS2 generation. Something that couldn't be done before.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MlauTheDaft

@foxhound_fox said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

Not until strong developers start making games. Launch titles are always rushed and "feel last-gen". For instance, the first true "next gen" experience on the 360 was Dead Rising. It "felt new" compared to the PS2 generation. Something that couldn't be done before.

At least from videos, KZ:SF looks pretty damn next-gen compared to the ps360.....

I'm just not sure what the hell people expected. Everyone somewhat tech-savvy predicted this months ago.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

TCHBFO! Sorry cows, your game is still being shat on.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Rage010101

@Nengo_Flow said:

Angry Joe.... that dude tries way too hard. He's been at it for years still trying to make a name of himself, but he still in the category of Youtube Poop.

You're just bitter about his review, thats why you're saying that. Angry Joe is actually one of the most honest gamers in the industry. His humor is hit or miss, but the guy still makes enjoyable vids and reviews.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

who?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 foxhound_fox
@MlauTheDaft said:

At least from videos, KZ:SF looks pretty damn next-gen compared to the ps360.....

I'm just not sure what the hell people expected. Everyone somewhat tech-savvy predicted this months ago.

"Looks next-gen" and "plays next-gen" are two entirely different things. I think this new generation, especially on the Xbone and PS4, are going to have a lot of these "looks great, but is exactly what we got last gen" experiences. It might help shift the market towards rewarding developers that make fun to play games.

kazrium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By kazrium
Member since 2006 • 1632 Posts

Pretty fair review I would say. Amazing graphics, shallow gameplay.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 MlauTheDaft

@foxhound_fox said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

"Looks next-gen" and "plays next-gen" are two entirely different things. I think this new generation, especially on the Xbone and PS4, are going to have a lot of these "looks great, but is exactly what we got last gen" experiences. It might help shift the market towards rewarding developers that make fun to play games.

Can you honestly say that anything about the new consoles has insinuated new experiences? To me, it's seemed entirely like catching up to mid/high end PCs.

You mentioned DR as the first "next gen experience". I think that was entirely a matter of scope and fidelity and next gen will revolve around overcoming last gen's smoke and mirrors.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

About halfway through.... this is a great review.

Cows will likely try to dismiss what he's saying though but it sounds like this Killzone has the same problems as all the others. Good gameplay and stunning visuals but sinfully boring on a narrative level

It's a shooter, honestly...

Sorry but this is like the polar opposite of what Bioshock Infinite's problem was, and even then the story there was so convoluted and fucking stupid that it didn't do much for me.

I'd rather take fun game play and interesting level design.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Rage010101

@MlauTheDaft said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

In otherwords, only PC gamers predicted all this months ago in advance. Console kids moaned and cried about the things we were saying, but what can we say... it was the truth. Knowing the hardware made it easy to predict what was to come. Instead of console kids listening to Herms, you know, the faction that deals with hardware all the time... Cows opted to listen to some blind fanboy like El Tormo. Cows would follow another cow off a cliff I suppose.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By foxhound_fox
@MlauTheDaft said:

Can you honestly say that anything about the new consoles has insinuated new experiences? To me, it's seemed entirely like catching up to mid/high end PCs.

What's the point of "next-gen" if not to bring about new types of experiences? That's exactly why I have zero interest in owning either a Xbone or PS4.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ReadingRainbow4

@Rage010101 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

In otherwords, only PC gamers predicted all this months ago in advance. Console kids moaned and cried about the things we were saying, but what can we say... it was the truth. Knowing the hardware made it easy to predict what was to come. Instead of console kids listening to Herms, you know, the faction that deals with hardware all the time... Cows opted to listen to some blind fanboy like El Tormo. Cows would follow another cow off a cliff I suppose.

You must be thinking about lemmings.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MlauTheDaft

@foxhound_fox said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

What's the point of "next-gen" if not to bring about new types of experiences? That's exactly why I have zero interest in owning either a Xbone or PS4.

And I can sympathize with your viewpoint. I'm looking foreward to seing how Infamous:SS turns out but I'm currently more than content with my PC.

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts

31 min to roast a game? no thank you...

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

Quite an honest review, I respect that. Complaining about the lack of auto-aim, is a bit too much though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By foxhound_fox
@Szminsky said:

Quite an honest review, I respect that. Complaining about the lack of auto-aim, is a bit too much though.

Not really, I find I can't play console shooters to save my life without some sort of aim assist.

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Szminsky said:

Not really, I find I can't play console shooters to save my life without some sort of aim assist.

We're all entitled to our tastes and preferences :)

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@foxhound_fox said:
@Szminsky said:

The DS4 is an entirely different beast. It's very doable. Even if you suck.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I like his reviews for entertainment reasons but I only watch them after a game has been out for a while because we are nothing alike as far as what we want in video games. I finished KZ SF last night and I only play on hard and it was great. I'm replaying it again but on the Vita this time and also on hard, still amazing. I have yet to try multiplayer but will do that soon, I have done a bit off offline bots though.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the intro was absolutely hilarious! This guy is incredibly creative, he really puts lots of effort into this stuff. XD

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Alright, as one who's played about 35 hours of KZ:SF multiplayer:

I skipped the first 25 minutes of the review because it was all about the SP and I haven't finished that yet and didn't want to see any spoilers. From about 25:00 on he's talking about the MP.

1.) I agree with him completely that the lack of community is the absolutely worst part about KZSF. The most popular game types are teamwork-reliant (traditional capture the flag, capture points, setting the bomb). Modes where you want to be able to request that someone go support and set a spawn beacon next to the objective so that the team doesn't have to continually traverse a large map just to get in position to fight over some objective. Or to request that not everyone play sniper. Stuff like that. Not being able to talk is a burden in any online game that requires some teamwork. Guerrilla has stated that they're working on an update for proper voice chat, but for now it is as he said an exercise in real frustration at times. BUT...play in a party with your friends and mics work just fine for everyone in your party, so at least there's a stop gap. If you don't have any friends, your experience will sometimes be frustrating.

2.) Complaining about aim assist is BS. The game doesn't need aim assist. He just needs to actually spend some time playing the game in MP. You saw his aiming skill in the video itself...he's pretty terrible. My KD ratio in KZSF is about the same as it is in any of my other console FPS games (1.5-2.0 range), and my accuracy percentage is sitting at 53%. It's all about spending time with the game. It takes time to get used to the maps. It takes a little time to get comfortable with the sticks and the aim with the various scope attachments. It's easy to panic and overcompensate with your aim when you're getting shot at, but you develop calm with experience. Much like BF, you can't absorb a lot of bullets, so you need to put yourself in position to be successful. That means going slowly around corners and not rushing into places where enemies may be lurking. It means setting up and being patient. To that end, my great dislike about BF4 right now IS the aim assist. At times the cursor moves around like my targets have magnets attached to their asses once I have them in my sights. It feels like you're using training wheels, and I don't need training wheels. At no point have I felt like not having aim assist was a detriment to my success in KZSF, and hey...everyone is on equal footing in that regard. So if others are being successful, one has to ask themselves why they aren't. Practice makes perfect.

3.) I agree with him completely that the map design is pretty good by and large. Only 10 maps yes, but they're all extremely unique. There are no similarities between any map at all. They all have multiple points of exit from spawn and it's very difficult to successfully spawn camp (though it is tried often).

4.) I think he's off in his concern about weapon unlocks and XP. Not every FPS game needs an XP carrot-on-a-stick setup to keep you playing it. All primary and secondary weapons are unlocked at the beginning just like they are in Halo. You get weapon attachments and "perk" upgrades by simply effectively using your perks and weapons. For example, if you kills 10 people while using the scope with a weapon, you'll unlock the next scope. The 3rd scope may require 50 zoomed kills and 15 headshots, but you get the idea. In the same way you can unlock grenade options. XP isn't a necessary mechanic and shouldn't be a concern.

Not mentioned (because he probably didn't play online long enough to know): the game needs a few more weapons for each class. Maybe 2 more per class that are unique options.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Killzone has always equaled boring. A pretty, boring game. No shock here.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Majority of websites are giving it between a 7 and 9 though. I personally would give it about an 8.5.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Dreams-Visions

@shawn30 said:

The MP isn't boring. The only FPS game currently worth playing for its single player is Halo...and Borderlands...and people aren't too happy with 343 after their first effort.

CoD SP sucks. BF4 SP sucks. Crysis 2 and 3 SP sucks. KZ SP sucks. But who cares? we buy these games for the MP, and so long as the MP delivers people are happy. And yes, the MP is solid.

The problem with the Angry Joe review is the same problem we see in almost all of the other KZ reviews: 25 minutes about the SP (which people may play once), and 4 minutes about the MP. Imagine a review about BF that spent 25 minutes analyzing the SP and only 4 minutes on the MP. You'd be like, "wtf? I didn't buy this game to play the SP for 95% of my time, so why is this review spending 95% of its time on the SP?"

That's how we feel about this review and all the other reviews about KZ that don't spend at least equal time discussing the MP. And most of the reviews, written or video are balanced just like this. 90% SP discussion, 10% MP discussion if that. And with little to no meaningful detail about the options and systems in the MP itself. Angry Joe didn't even name the 3 classes available properly.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

We had two killzones last gen and that gen went by just fine. Killzone never managed to build a huge community, it never became the next CoD/BF/Halo. I've always seen this series as B quality and IMO Sony should just give up and give the guys something fresh to work on.

The hype for Shadowfall to me always looked like forced hype out of necessity. It was one of the few games to be released for the preferred platform of a lot of people so many just wanted for it to be awesome because of that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#82  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@shawn30 said:

An excellent point my friend. One the masses of system wars can easily rally behind.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Pretty good points in his review and a 6 is probably what KZ worth. Good graphics. Bad everything else.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This game has to have the worst ending for a video game of 2013.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Dreams-Visions

@silversix_ said:

Pretty good points in his review and a 6 is probably what KZ worth. Good graphics. Bad everything else.

In the single player. The single player is objectively mediocre.

The MP is good. Not great because it still doesn't have proper voice integration outside of a party...but definitely not bad. So no, not "everything else" is bad.

We don't determine whether or not we buy BF or CoD based on the single player...we shouldn't with KZSF either. For all the same reasons.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#86  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I don't think Joe is funny.

And he gave GW2 a 10/10 so I find his credibility to be lacking.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

The problem is that reviewers will almost immediately dismiss (and excuse) Call of Duty games for lacking a good single player. Then they will review KZ single player and complain about it. We need some continuity here. Though you can't expect much from mass-communications majors (journalists).

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#88  Edited By nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

I really can't stand angry joe....I have tried and find him incredibly annoying

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

It's Killzone.

This was expected.

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

6.0 sounds a bit high. it was a chore to even finish the campaign.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

People complaining about his yelling. He is called "Angry" Joe, so its kinda expected.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Angry Joe.... that dude tries way too hard. He's been at it for years still trying to make a name of himself, but he still in the category of Youtube Poop.

I like Angry Joe personally. If you want a gamer on YT that tries too hard these days, see: DarkSydePhil.

I agree. Although I kind of like DSPs hateful truth reviews, because he's quite passionate, I don't really like him.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

I don't mind argry Joe in small doses, once you get past the normal stupidity his reviews are actually pretty good.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#94 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

His review was dead on imo (other than his aim assist comments). 6 seems about right to me. I can deal with the SP being crap, but the MP is garbage too. Very far from KZ2. It feels more like Resistance 2 multiplayer except with more close quarter maps.

Seems like GG doesn't like their own work and wanted to transform KZ into something else. You could almost tell they wanted the KZ universe to involve space aliens (e.g. the Dead Space levels). They are currently working on a non-KZ project. How much you want to bet its a space alien shooter?

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#95 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

dudes a huge xbox fanboy, with terrible taste, so no surprise.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 uninspiredcup

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

I like Angry Joe personally. If you want a gamer on YT that tries too hard these days, see: DarkSydePhil.

I agree. Although I kind of like DSPs hateful truth reviews, because he's quite passionate, I don't really like him.

I agree my friend. He seems to be a guy who genuinely goes with his hart with what he's talking about as opposed to an IGN/Machinima business deal.

Angry Joe is the hero we deserve, someone to be admired.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#97 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

Angry joe does extremely accurate and thought out reviews. I have been a subscriber for years and I often choose my back catalog of games by his reviews. He has never let me down yet. Im very excited to see him do playstation reviews. Wish i couldve seen his Uncharted 2 review, he loves games like that.

To those who dont like him...........why do you not like him? I hope it isnt because he criticizes the games because thats what you want right? It would suck if he looked at games the way I do all the time.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

I don't think Joe is funny.

And he gave GW2 a 10/10 so I find his credibility to be lacking.

GS gave GW2 a 9/10.

It's a 90% at GR.

What were you saying about credibility?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By uninspiredcup

@navyguy21 said:

...why do you not like him?

Because he's popular, talented and good looking. Those who aspire hate those who have aspired.

It's a sign of pond life my friend, pond life.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I can't believe people actually listen to this clown's reviews. I find his videos funny but I can't take his reviews seriously, I just watch them for the lulz.