Angry Joe review of Ghost of Tsushima . Sorry MS fans, maybe you'll get a cool game like Ghost, one day.

Daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 2839 Posts

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2100 Posts

@daredevils2k said:
Loading Video...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 10030 Posts

tl:dr what's the score?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

I mostly agree with his reviews, but i just cannot see how a game like this can get such high scores. You have a good combat system that is flawed because there's no lock on. And that's it. Outside of that, you have a nice art style and graphics. Might as well be called Ass Creed Of Tsushima.

But then again, people praised Second Son, and i thought that outside of graphics and awesome particle effects (for its time), that game was complete garbo.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blamix
Member since 2006 • 1155 Posts

Same score i gave 9/10

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fedor  Online
Member since 2015 • 8226 Posts

Nice to see cows aren't still mad at AJ for that TLOU2 review.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44648 Posts

You can tell Alex was having fun doing this review with Joe's skits and him playing the Flute was just epic lol.

Joe was right about 1 thing, GoT is a nice exclusive way to end PS4 and I'm really enjoying the game, the gameplay is just really outstanding fun. I really haven't enjoy an AC since Black Flag. 9/10 sounds about right, I'm just getting into Act 2 without spoiling anything, GoT can be addictive at times. Hope this goes to GOTY 2020.

Also, looking forward to to those GoT arts gallery coming soon from Joe.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32930 Posts

Cool. I always enjoy watching his reviews. Will definitely check it out later.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 7620 Posts

@fedor: That's kinda what all fanboys do, latch on to anything that they agree with. Some YouTube disagrees with me, booo he's the worst!!! Oh now he agrees with me, yay he's the best again!!! You see it from ever corner of gaming.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 3902 Posts

Speaking objectively and subjectively, I think Ghost of Tsushima is a mediocre game. A YouTube personality's opinion doesn't change that, regardless of whether you like it or don't like it. If it alters your own opinion, you're a fool.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4050 Posts

Oh, I thought you guys didn't like Angry Joe. I guess it only applies when he has a different opinion.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1365 Posts

I would've given the score 8/10. Most of what Joe said is right. There are a few bugs and some AI dumbness but everything is pretty good. The one weak point is the end boss wasn't as big of an antagonist as I would've thought. The end fight was a bit more of the same than the regular captain fights on those camp liberation missions but not much more. I was a bit more drawn in with the special skill bosses than the actual protagonist.

I also hate to give props to this but this game was way more enjoyable without the every 20 minutes of Assassin Creed ad microtransaction storefront and the grind to a certain level. You can just skip all side quests and just do the storyline without leveling up much.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rzxv04

@speedytimsi said:

I would've given the score 8/10. Most of what Joe said is right. There are a few bugs and some AI dumbness but everything is pretty good. The one weak point is the end boss wasn't as big of an antagonist as I would've thought. The end fight was a bit more of the same than the regular captain fights on those camp liberation missions but not much more.

I wish you could replay that mission.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3733 Posts

TC, you need to put some effort in your post other than posting an embedded Youtube video. Where is the discussion? What do you think about Angry Joe's review of Ghost of Tsushima?

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 619 Posts

I prefer that there is no lock on in combat, it gives combat more freedom. It works for this game anyway.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46925 Posts

I don't believe I'll ever get sick of Craig.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 19845 Posts

@strategyfn said:

I prefer that there is no lock on in combat, it gives combat more freedom. It works for this game anyway.

Was that actually one of his criticisms?

Melee action can be great without lock on. Some of the best out there don't use it. Ninja Gaiden mops the floor with most melee action games, no lock on. Bayonetta, only use lock on to kick off a command move like a launcher.

Anyways, really depends on the game and combat design. Wouldn't say it diminishes freedom, DMC is as free form as it gets and uses it plenty. Nioh has great combat and is all about lock on.

Can go either way really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: It's not rare to be surrounded by multiple enemies and your character attacking in the wrong direction, this for me is enough to warrant a lock system.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sancho_Panzer  Online
Member since 2015 • 1455 Posts

Oh boy! Maybe we'll even get this exact game on PC...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 15786 Posts

Nice score by AJ, GoT deserves all the praise it gets.

It is, by miles, my favorite open-world game of all-time, and I can confidently say it's easily one of the best games I've ever played. Everything is well done: the world is breathtaking in its art direction and combination of color, particles and movement to create a consistently beautiful and dynamic visual experience unblemished by an ugly HUD, exploration never feels boring and is organic (due to the wind) as there's so many distinct areas from one another, the combat has depth, feels brutal, uncompromising, and never ceases to satisfy, the upgrades are useful, the armor sets are cool further made better by an abundant degree of customization options, I found the narrative engaging and the characters and their side stories compelling, those epic battle set pieces, intense duels, there was a tangible feeling of progression from starting out as a naive, inexperienced, eager, yet unknown young warrior that grows into a legend around the land by the end, the sound design and score were on point, and to top it all off, the ending landed perfectly, offered a choice, and gave emotional closure.

This game shits on all other open-world games in terms of fun factor as far as I'm concerned. Don't care what anyone else says.

Spoilers in this:

Loading Video...

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

angry joe sucks arsehole

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 42873 Posts

Our gaming leader.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

this is the same guy bashing duke nukem forever, giving props to this game? lmao no matter how flawed duke is it's still 100x cooler than this shit.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2061 Posts

Ubisoft will be pleased that their far creed samurai series has the backing of some YouTuber

GS gave it a 7,and sea of thieves beat it

When you live by the scores,you gotta die by the scores

HAH

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11202 Posts

Been playing Tsushima for some time now, been doing a lot of side quests, not for the story, but for the mechanics and upgrades, still in ACT2. For me the story is on par with Ubi's Asscreed, as in I hardly care for what's going on, I just tryin' to get rid of those damn Mongols and slaughter bandits and those other dudes which I don't want to mention because spoilers, if that even matters with this game. Storywise I prefer TW3 and TLOU2 (succesfully getting a reaction out of me) for example.

I like the mechanics, the game succesfully makes one feel like a badass and it's not TOO easy (a bit on the easy side on normal difficulty after getting all the upgrades and techniques), the enemies can still overwhelm you in numbers, so I prefer to be stealthy first. Combat misses lock-on, but I don't mind, it's manageable and hardly makes the game more difficult. Oh yeah, the graphics are beatiful at times, reminds me of Breath Of the Wild with all the grass and crap.

Nothing groundbreaking, but a solid game nonetheless, 8-.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6405 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

It is, by miles, my favorite open-world game of all-time, and I can confidently say it's easily one of the best games I've ever played. Everything is well done: the world is breathtaking in its art direction and combination of color, particles and movement to create a consistently beautiful and dynamic visual experience unblemished by an ugly HUD, exploration never feels boring and is organic (due to the wind) as there's so many distinct areas from one another, the combat has depth, feels brutal, uncompromising, and never ceases to satisfy, the upgrades are useful, the armor sets are cool further made better by an abundant degree of customization options, I found the narrative engaging and the characters and their side stories compelling, those epic battle set pieces, intense duels, there was a tangible feeling of progression from starting out as a naive, inexperienced, eager, yet unknown young warrior that grows into a legend around the land by the end, the sound design and score were on point, and to top it all off, the ending landed perfectly, offered a choice, and gave emotional closure.

This game shits on all other open-world games in terms of fun factor as far as I'm concerned. Don't care what anyone else says.

Spoilers in this:

Loading Video...

Guess this is one of those things that boils down to personal pref. I was bored of the combat before finishing act1, the combat has no depth, the stances are awful, you just swap to the one that goes against the enemy you are facing and spam heavy attack, there's no stance switching, no combo chains, its extremely one dimensional. Haven't played the game much lately, think I should give the new difficulty mode a spin if it makes it more interesting. The game is very pretty I give it that.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 35682 Posts

@rzxv04 said:

Brilliant!!!!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 15786 Posts

@howmakewood said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Spoilers in this:

Loading Video...

Guess this is one of those things that boils down to personal pref. I was bored of the combat before finishing act1, the combat has no depth, the stances are awful, you just swap to the one that goes against the enemy you are facing and spam heavy attack, there's no stance switching, no combo chains, its extremely one dimensional. Haven't played the game much lately, think I should give the new difficulty mode a spin if it makes it more interesting. The game is very pretty I give it that.

Loading Video...

No combo chains?

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 2618 Posts

At least put some effort into the thread! And why do I card what a random YouTuber says

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 619 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@strategyfn said:

Was that actually one of his criticisms?

Melee action can be great without lock on. Some of the best out there don't use it. Ninja Gaiden mops the floor with most melee action games, no lock on. Bayonetta, only use lock on to kick off a command move like a launcher.

Anyways, really depends on the game and combat design. Wouldn't say it diminishes freedom, DMC is as free form as it gets and uses it plenty. Nioh has great combat and is all about lock on.

Can go either way really.

I was countering poster hardwenzen.

@hardwenzen said:

I mostly agree with his reviews, but i just cannot see how a game like this can get such high scores. You have a good combat system that is flawed because there's no lock on.

I could be wrong but I think lock on would make the game feel like generic crap, instead of the free combat system the game has now.

Besides the game has a kind of simple, natural lock on as in you aim in the direction of the enemy and it attacks the enemy. It almost feels like a lock on without being one. Only 5 hours with the game but I like the combat.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

@strategyfn: A game that includes a lock on system doesn't force you to use it, and how can such a simple feature make any game generic? There's absolutely no negatives of having a good lock on system like what's in any fromsoft games. Its not needed in face paced titles like dmc or NG, but in a slower ones like this, there's no reason not to have it.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rzxv04

@MirkoS77 said:
@howmakewood said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Spoilers in this:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

No combo chains?

Nice. It's no DMC but it's got a little extra that how I played it.

@hardwenzen said:

@strategyfn: A game that includes a lock on system doesn't force you to use it, and how can such a simple feature make any game generic? There's absolutely no negatives of having a good lock on system like what's in any fromsoft games. Its not needed in face paced titles like dmc or NG, but in a slower ones like this, there's no reason not to have it.

Doesn't seem that necessary in this game imo due to how the game sticky/auto targets. It can be wonky but so do From games with its lockon. I remember the complaints in Sekiro but I honestly don't mind. To me it just adds a tiny bit of camera management for the gameplay.

This is quite different from some of FromSoft games that mostly have mook AIs that go wild on you (which often times are more challenging and maybe more interesting to approach).

This on the other hand seem to have AI rules that when you are ganged upon, you never really get that overwhelmed as they mostly attack one at a time even if there are like 10+ enemies on you.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 28341 Posts

@Duckyindiana said:

At least put some effort into the thread! And why do I card what a random YouTuber says

He's not a random YouTuber lol. His reviews gets more views and comments than major websites like GameSpot do.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rzxv04

@R4gn4r0k said:
@rzxv04 said:

Brilliant!!!!

Kept laughing for about a minute when I saw that. As someone who's played the game, it just was just hilarious! Too bad most won't get the same impact.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 37288 Posts

7/10...

lol :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#36 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@howmakewood: Combat is really underwhelming. Starts by impressing, mostly because is very well animated but by the end of act one I was ready to drop the game because I was so bored from going through hundreds of fights with absolutely no pushback, and very little variation. Then they made the update with the Lethal mode and it improved things but the combat is so shallow that it doesn't change things that much. Fights do last less and punish you for your mistakes, which is great. But just now had my final fight against Khan and only died a few times through the whole sequence on Lethal, being that once I stopped trying to be creative and just follow the correct stance for each weapon type it was almost flawless.

Then I have another issue with this game, the world feels last gen. Don't get me wrong it looks great, but that's it. Wild life is not well animated, birds fly like robots, dear glitch against geometry and run against your horse with no effect, many times I find them idle as if expecting my presence to come to life. The bears, the only predator, doesn't hunt you, they run after you if you get too close and that's it. Some random stealth attacks while you are exploring would be an welcomed change of pace. Which takes me back to enemy encounters, how unimaginative they are. I had 2 ambushes done to me in maybe 50h of game, that were very similar to the usual road encounters, no high speed horse chases, no Mongols on top of hills waiting for me, no bandits hidden in a forest and storming me, just mindless repetition of uninspired stuff. It's a world that never surprises you, it holds collection items and quests. There's no mystery. And how your character animates while dealing with ledges while you're exploring mountains, holy smokes that's glitchy as hell. FOV is absurdly claustrophobic.

Kudos for the navigation improvements though. For the most part they work well.

It's a 7 or 8/10 game. It's fine but lots of mediocre stuff in it too.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1873 Posts

If this was a MS game it would have got a 5/10.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 37288 Posts

@rrjim1 said:

If this was a MS game it would have got a 5/10.

Only if GS was in a good mood. Otherwise 3/10. lol :P

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rzxv04

@phbz said:

@howmakewood: Combat is really underwhelming. Starts by impressing, mostly because is very well animated but by the end of act one I was ready to drop the game because I was so bored from going through hundreds of fights with absolutely no pushback, and very little variation. Then they made the update with the Lethal mode and it improved things but the combat is so shallow that it doesn't change things that much. Fights do last less and punish you for your mistakes, which is great. But just now had my final fight against Khan and only died a few times through the whole sequence on Lethal, being that once I stopped trying to be creative and just follow the correct stance for each weapon type it was almost flawless.

Then I have another issue with this game, the world feels last gen. Don't get me wrong it looks great, but that's it. Wild life is not well animated, birds fly like robots, dear glitch against geometry and run against your horse with no effect, many times I find them idle as if expecting my presence to come to life. The bears, the only predator, doesn't hunt you, they run after you if you get too close and that's it. Some random stealth attacks while you are exploring would be an welcomed change of pace. Which takes me back to enemy encounters, how unimaginative they are. I had 2 ambushes done to me in maybe 50h of game, that were very similar to the usual road encounters, no high speed horse chases, no Mongols on top of hills waiting for me, no bandits hidden in a forest and storming me, just mindless repetition of uninspired stuff. It's a world that never surprises you, it holds collection items and quests. There's no mystery. And how your character animates while dealing with ledges while you're exploring mountains, holy smokes that's glitchy as hell. FOV is absurdly claustrophobic.

Kudos for the navigation improvements though. For the most part they work well.

It's a 7 or 8/10 game. It's fine but lots of mediocre stuff in it too.

I agree. The combat animations actually look good but the world seem sparse. The birds and foxes look weird (fox is cute, still).

I wish it had mechanics where if you're in a foresty area, you should get randomly attacked by bandits hiding behind trunks/branches but don't make it too annoying.

Fov is mixed. the game absolutely can handle wider fovs during the larger scale combats but I guess it's more auto tuned for inside houses. Should be a bit more dynamic.

There's horse combat but it didn't really materialize after the first part of the game. Weird.

Ledge animation is quite an improvement compared to their last game but still could've added more animation variation and animation noises.

7-8 game for me too. I am just in love with the ground foliage density and more interactive than Horizon, looks a bit better than TLoU 2.

I really wish it had more large scale battles, the game can handle it and since the game is rather forgiving, dropped frames during combat isn't quite punishing.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 2618 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: He’s a random YouTuber his review should hold no more meaning or weight than yours or mine!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidGame_basic

I wonder where @ghosts4ever is? He revers Angry Joe and his reviews. Loves to tout them when calling Sony games, "movie games". Oh wait, Joe gave a positive review. I guess Angry Joe was paid off lol.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bluestars

@SolidGame_basic:

Of course he’s a random...it’s one person’s opinion....regardless of views or subscribers....what makes this knackers opinion of the game better than yours or mine or someone who gave It a 5/10?

7-10 GS

I gave it an 8,but I enjoy the Ubisoft-esq games....someone who doesn’t will score this wayyy lower....and it their right too

HaH

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 4949 Posts

Angry Joe still has fans? He’s a punk that doesn’t know how to talk to girls...

Wait, y’all relate to him, don’t you? It all makes sense now!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic

@bluestars said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Of course he’s a random...it’s one person’s opinion....regardless of views or subscribers....what makes this knackers opinion of the game better than yours or mine or someone who gave It a 5/10?

7-10 GS

I gave it an 8,but I enjoy the Ubisoft-esq games....someone who doesn’t will score this wayyy lower....and it their right too

HaH

So is a Gamespot reviewer just a random journalist? Where do we stop? Why bother with reviews at all?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28480 Posts

is it an overly long review that's ham fisted and unfunny?

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bluestars

@SolidGame_basic:

All reviews are opinions...I would bet my bollox to a barn dance if this angry joe knacker had said it’s a farcry clone and average there wouldn’t be a SW thread

HaH

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1213 Posts

Here come all the salty xboners crying about how mistreated MS is lol. Friggin losers

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 42873 Posts

@clone01 said:

is it an overly long review that's ham fisted and unfunny?

I'm guessing this is 100% accurate.

Could be wrong, but really, no.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32930 Posts

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it, pretty funny as well. His reviews are long but always enjoy them for the humour and all the production stuff put into them.