And you said HD Multimedia doesnt matter....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blitzinger123
Member since 2005 • 2370 Posts

If I recall correctly, and I do, there were many people saying blu ray is worthless, it'll never amount to anything, and that it is optional technology. Not to mention that it will fail and no one cares about HD multimedia. Well, guess what? Not only is blu ray outselling HD DVD and has more large name companies producing movies in blu ray, but laptops and dekstops alike are both starting to come with Blu Ray drivers. Granted, they're coming with HD-dvd drivers also but if more people are buying Blu Ray, what do you think the better format is?

I know I'm going to get rained on by fanboys and anti-ps3 critics (one in the same) but I suppose that's expected in system wars. Sometimes the truth hurts and people just have to lash out in anger.

mylsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 mylsd
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts
doesn't change the fact that the common person doesn't want either format yet.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Most people still do not own TVs to take full advantage of the extra pixels.
blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blitzinger123
doesn't change the fact that the common person doesn't want either format yet.mylsd
Last I checked, it's "common" people that buy PC's and Laptops. And if the Blu Ray and/or HD-DVD becomes standard, and it soon will, then you're going to see everyone take a step into the HD age of multimedia
blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blitzinger123
Most people still do not own TVs to take full advantage of the extra pixels.foxhound_fox
but with laptops and pc's the screens are smaller and most can support HD settings
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
but with laptops and pc's the screens are smaller and most can support HD settingsblitzinger123

If that's the case, people will just download the movies. It is easier than investing in a drive and discs...

At least... I think they have HD movie downloads...
taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
Drivers? Don't you need hardware to read the discs? What's the point of having the software when all you have is a dvd drive?
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

If I recall correctly, and I do, there were many people saying blu ray is worthless, it'll never amount to anything, and that it is optional technology. Not to mention that it will fail and no one cares about HD multimedia. Well, guess what? Not only is blu ray outselling HD DVD and has more large name companies producing movies in blu ray, but laptops and dekstops alike are both starting to come with Blu Ray drivers. Granted, they're coming with HD-dvd drivers also but if more people are buying Blu Ray, what do you think the better format is?

I know I'm going to get rained on by fanboys and anti-ps3 critics (one in the same) but I suppose that's expected in system wars. Sometimes the truth hurts and people just have to lash out in anger.

blitzinger123
Wow, this is such an illogical post. The reason that HD technology doesn't matter (yet) is because the majority don't have the ability to use it. If you want to see how pointless HD formats are at the moment, you don't compare it against HD DVD (I don't know what's going on in the logic centre of your brain) you compare it against DVDs. The fact that notebooks and desktops are coming with these techs is better, but it's still a huge way from being important. Now you seem to have predicted you'd be criticised for this thread. You were right. Please however, abandon all notions your some sort of martyr of truth or something, your not.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="mylsd"]doesn't change the fact that the common person doesn't want either format yet.blitzinger123
Last I checked, it's "common" people that buy PC's and Laptops. And if the Blu Ray and/or HD-DVD becomes standard, and it soon will, then you're going to see everyone take a step into the HD age of multimedia

Now by soon, do you mean 2010-2012 ish? Because according to most analysts and penetration rates, that's when HDTVs are going to begin enjoying status as a standardised medium.
tacomh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tacomh
Member since 2003 • 1847 Posts

doesn't change the fact that the common person doesn't want to spend money on  either format yet.mylsd

fixed

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
I think HD media is a step in the right direction, but I'll agree with some of the other posters who said HDTVs are still not obtainable for most people. In five years, I'm sure the HDTV saturation rate will be much higher, but at current time most consumers just don't care. Even my friends who own Large HDTVs don't care to get a Blu-ray or HDDVD player.   The one question I have as it relates to videogames is, How much space does Oblivion take up on a Blu-ray disc?
mylsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mylsd
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

[QUOTE="mylsd"]doesn't change the fact that the common person doesn't want to spend money on  either format yet.tacomh

fixed

No, not fixed, most folk just don't care if the picture looks good or slightly better, HD DVD and Blu-Ray are not what the public wants right now, just like dvd cd's, laser discs, UMD's ect..
50u1r34v3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 50u1r34v3r
Member since 2006 • 1560 Posts

Drivers? Don't you need hardware to read the discs? What's the point of having the software when all you have is a dvd drive?taker42

That's what I was thinking but maybe he means drives. 

t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
We got a laptop reciently. Coulda had Blu-Ray put in but my dad saw no need.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
We got a laptop reciently. Coulda had Blu-Ray put in but my dad saw no need.t2wave
It's confirmed then. T2wave's dad has called off the BluRay movement. ::giggles::
t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
[QUOTE="t2wave"]We got a laptop reciently. Coulda had Blu-Ray put in but my dad saw no need.asmallchild
It's confirmed then. T2wave's dad has called off the BluRay movement. ::giggles::

lol
BadAndy642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BadAndy642
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts
You do know that Blu-ray would be flat on its face without the PS3....Blu-ray standalone players are being outsold by HD DVD standalones by over a 5:1 ratio.
MFFS_Fisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MFFS_Fisher
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
[QUOTE="tacomh"]

[QUOTE="mylsd"]doesn't change the fact that the common person doesn't want to spend money on either format yet.mylsd

fixed

No, not fixed, most folk just don't care if the picture looks good or slightly better, HD DVD and Blu-Ray are not what the public wants right now, just like dvd cd's, laser discs, UMD's ect..

I'd like to think it's in the middle, at least for me.

I have quite a DVD collection already. I don't want to pick up a new format. I mean, this isn't the VHS to DVD jump. This is, as far as I can tell from those neat-o keen setups at Best Buy, a marginal difference. EP Recording to DVD... now that was a difference!

This is more the difference between my Rio and the guy up the street with the pimped out SAAB. Sure, his might go faster, but they both take the same roads and are going the same speed when stuck in traffic. 

Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
Only reason it is selling is because all the people sony conned into buying a Ps3 has no good games or anything better to do on the worthless system other then watch and buy blue ray movies. Which is exactly what they planed on. You sir are a Sony pawn use to help save the other falling parts of there company. Anyone who doesn't see that is a myopic fanboy, the perfect victim for sony to exploit :)
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
Only reason it is selling is because all the people sony conned into buying a Ps3 has no good games or anything better to do on the worthless system other then watch and buy blue ray movies. Which is exactly what they planed on. You sir are a Sony pawn use to help save the other falling parts of there company. Anyone who doesn't see that is a myopic fanboy, the perfect victim for sony to exploit :)Nugtoka
If it helps you feel better about not being able to get one, I say go for it. Make more posts.